Crown Imperial: An Alt British Monarchy

GV: Part Three, Chapter Twenty-Three: Affairs of the Heart
King George V

Part Three, Chapter Twenty Three: Affairs of the Heart

As the King prepared to leave Buckingham Palace for Oxford, he complained to Frau Wiedl that he faced “a very heavy summer” in which he would have little time to visit her at Radley. To that end, he invited himself to visit Rosalinde in Bloomsbury Square before departing for Windsor. Though George was a regular visitor by now, on this particular occasion he seemed rather uncomfortable, almost nervous. When Frau Wiedl’s other guests departed, the King remained behind and in the salon of the house, the two sat together quietly as the King surprised Wiedl by asking for a second glass of brandy.

“Are you quite well Sir?”, Rosalinde asked with genuine concern, “You do not seem yourself tonight”

The King sighed.

“I shall be quite frank with you Rosa my dear”, he said wearily, “I’m in rather a fix”

Rosa handed the King his brandy and patted him on the shoulder.

“I’m sure it can’t be as bad as all that”

“Oh but it is”, George replied, “I’ve made a foolish mistake, something I wouldn’t have had happen for the world. But it has and now…now I must make it right”

Frau Wiedl listened as the King explained. A few weeks earlier, George had received a very dejected letter from Princess Agnes in which she broke the unfortunate news that her parents had forbidden her from coming to England alone. However, there was a silver lining in that her father had arranged for Agnes to be near Hanover when the King visited in August. Upon hearing this news, the King immediately sent instructions to his Aunt Augusta at Herrenhausen asking her to prepare rooms for Princess Agnes and her great aunt Caroline, the Dowager Princess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. This was not exactly a shocking request and the Duchess of Cambridge had already met Agnes the previous Christmas and had liked her. But the Duchess made the mistake of putting pen to paper and in a letter to her sister the Grand Duchess Marie, Augusta said “I have been asked to make her comfortable but my dear, I am simply worn out with it all for I do not know the girl half as well as you do”. In this, Augusta was alluding to the fact that Agnes was Grand Duke George’s grandniece – though the Mecklenburg-Strelitzes and the Anhalt-Dessaus were never close and had barely exchanged more than a handful of letters over the years. Marie was already upset at how prominent Agnes’ presence had been made at Windsor at the start of the year and now, faced with this news from her sister at Herrenhausen, Marie became absolutely certain that her son-in-law was planning to propose to Agnes when they met in Hanover.

Princess_Marie_of_Hesse-Kassel.jpg

Grand Duchess Marie.

Furious that George had not given the Strelitzes advance warning of this, Marie wrote a letter to him in which she (quite unfairly) berated him for being “so very unfeeling”.

You have been as a son to us these past six years and we have always loved you as such and believed that you repaid our affections in a likewise manner. But now I am so bitterly hurt for there are things afoot which common decency would have us know about before anybody else and yet no word has come to us. I confess that I feel very aggrieved by this for I have known and loved you since you were a babe in arms and I believed that the grief we have shared bound us together so that we might trust and confide in each other as a mother and son should always do. It is so unlike you to be so very unfeeling and I can only hope that Augusta is mistaken and that if you are to begin anew, you would think to come to us first before any proposal was made. [1]

George was shocked to read this note and yet he did not respond with anger. On the contrary, he felt extremely guilty that such a situation had developed and that there remained a sense of estrangement with his Aunt Marie. He sent back a letter apologising if Marie had been hurt by anything that she had heard from the Duchess of Cambridge but he assured her that he had no intention of upsetting anybody and that “naturally you and Papa should worry for me but I beg you understand that I should never act in anyway to deliberately offend either of you”. What George did not comment on however, was whether or not there was any truth to Marie’s assumption that he intended to marry again.

By mid-1844, George had allowed himself to move past any feelings of guilt he may have in pursuing a new relationship. But at this time, relationships were (by convention) pursued very much with marriage in mind. The idea that a man would show affection to a woman without “honourable intentions” (that is, to make her his bride) was the mark of a cad and frowned upon in society. George had given every indication that he had developed a strong bond with Agnes and their letters around this time show that they had begun to sign off their notes to each other with the same phrase; “Toi et Moi”. But when faced with the reality of where his relationship was headed, put so bluntly by his mother-in-law, George now had to confront the natural conclusion of his courtship and in doing so, he had to ask himself very seriously if he wanted to marry again.

“Nobody would resent you if you did Sir”, Rosalinde comforted him, “You should not let the Grand Duchess’ feelings, as legitimate as they may be, rush you to a decision”

“I had decided”, George said sadly, “I had quite made up my mind that I would not marry again. But then I think of Nessa and our time together…she really does make me very happy…and now…I consider that life would be so very incomplete without her in it”

Frau Wiedl smiled.

“Might I make a suggestion?”

“Of course Rosa, you know how much I value your advice”

“Go to Hanover prepared for every eventuality”, she said calmly, “You will know what to do when you are with her. And as for the Grand Duchess…I fear you are seeking approval for something she will never be able to give. The late Queen lives very much in her memory. She will never part with that. But perhaps she may make peace with it if you make your intentions clear to her?”

The King grasped Frau Wiedl’s hand tightly and kissed her on the cheek.

“Thankyou my dear”, he said softly, “I appreciate that”

Rosalinde took a deep breath and stood up.

“And now Sir, I must ask for your understanding too”

“My understanding?”, the King grinned, “You know I shall always do what I can for you”

But Rosalinde did not return the smile. She turned her back to the King to face the fireplace, speaking into the flames as if she wanted the words to burn up as she spoke them.

“I have to go away for a time”, she said bluntly, “To Biarritz. It means I shall not be able to come with you to Hanover”

“But Rosa-“, the King protested.

“I am sorry my darling but I have no choice. You see…I am going to have a child”

The King’s eyes grew wide for a moment and then he slumped down into his chair.

“I take it Vernon knows about this?”, he said flatly, finally breaking the silence.

“Yes”, Rosa replied, “And I must ask you never to mention the subject again. I only tell you because you have been so honest with me this evening. Everything has been well arranged and I shall return in the New Year. I shall close the house and if anybody should ask after me, I have gone to Hanover to nurse a sick aunt. I am sorry if I disappoint you”.

The King stood up and put his hand on Rosa’s shoulder.

“You could never do that”, he said warmly, “I just feel so very sorry that this happened. I shall miss you”

Here it must be stated that naturally Rosalinde Wiedl’s pregnancy in 1844 has given rise to suggestions by less reputable sources that the child she carried was in fact the King’s baby yet once again there is no evidence that the pair ever pursued a physical relationship – or that either side desired one. This theory especially gained attention in 1988 when a French-American woman called Lisette Allard claimed that her grandmother Marie was the baby born to Rosalinde Wiedl in February 1845 in Biarritz and that Allard had letters in her possession which proved that Marie’s father was none other than George V. Allard refused to produce these letters but continued to appear on television shows enthusiastically boasting of her alleged royal heritage. The story was bizarrely proven to be a fake by Allard’s own brother Michel who shared family documents with the press that showed his grandmother was not in fact born illegitimately in Biarritz and adopted but rather that she was born to a couple in Marseilles in 1848. Lisette Allard was exposed as a fantasist though she maintained her story until she died in 1993 aged 83.

The end of Wiedl’s relationship with Robert Vernon Smith in February 1845 is proof enough for most historians that he was the father of Wiedl’s child. Whilst extra-marital affairs were commonplace in high society, inescapable proof that they existed could mean social ruin. Handled with the utmost discretion, such scandals could be ignored by all parties involved and it was only if one individual brought things out into the open that reputations might be irreparably damaged. The King’s reaction to Rosalinde’s news should therefore not shock or surprise. Though his own half-siblings were kept from his knowledge for decades, he would have been well aware of ladies in high society “falling from grace”, most notably when his own cousin George Cambridge had to provide a large sum to Lady Augusta Somerset to allow her to travel enceinte to Madrid to give birth and have her child adopted by a local family to avoid scandal. Whilst a baby born out of wedlock carried enormous social stigma for the middle and working classes, the upper classes were (rather unfairly) free from such so long as the fruits of illicit love affairs were kept well under wraps. [2]

Though clearly he had much on his mind, the King found work was the very best way to distract himself from his anxieties. The first stop on his tour in the third week of May 1844 was Oxford and though there was not much public excitement when the tour was announced, in the days before George V’s arrival to the city there was a sudden buzz of interest. The people of Oxford dutifully turned out en masse to welcome the King with cheers and applause as he drove through the East Gate for a formal welcome at the old Guildhall building. Every one of these ports of call on George’s tour had been fashioned after the same pattern; a welcome ceremony by officials followed by a lunch for civic leaders, a visit to two or three points of historical or local interest followed by a dinner to which the great and good of that particular locale were invited for presentation to His Majesty. [3]

This would be repeated in Gloucester, Hereford, Worcester, Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Hull over the course of eight weeks until the King was met by the Royal Yacht which would carry him across the North Sea to Hamburg from where he would journey on to Hanover. But this arduous schedule was not made any easier by the intense heat with the sun beating down in unusually high temperatures. In Oxford for example, the King was to tour the University’s famous Botanic Garden and to formally open a new cricket pavilion at Balliol where the King was lodged in the College’s faculty building overnight. When the King arrived at the height of the mid-day sun, two ladies collapsed and a local alderman had to be stripped of his robes and taken into the pavilion’s ice house to cool down. The newspapers noted that “even His Majesty was forced to avail himself of a handkerchief to the brow, so humid was the day”.

640px-Oxford_Botanic_Garden%2C_Magalen_Tower.jpg

The Botanic Garden at Oxford.

One of the great advantages of this tour however was that the King was able to make use of some of England’s finest country houses, the owners of which were only too happy to thrown open their doors to His Majesty. We can chart the course of George’s tour by his letters sent from Berkeley Castle, Brockhampton Manor, Spetchley Park, Arbury Hall and many others, most his letters finding their way to Princess Agnes whom herself was on tour in Germany with her great aunt Caroline, the Dowager Princess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. Though the King was genuinely interested in many of the sights he saw in England, Agnes could not have been more frustrated and bored by the activities she had to endure. Her great aunt was profoundly deaf and every afternoon at 2pm, the Dowager Princess insisted on taking a two hour nap during which time Agnes was left alone in her room to write letters or read. As a result, Agnes complained that she never really saw any of the interesting landmarks her father had planned and that her evenings were taken up with “frightfully dull dinners in horrible houses with the spotty sons of Great Aunt Caroline’s friends”.

The Dowager Princess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt was doing exactly what she had been asked in introducing her grandniece to eligible bachelors in the houses of friends, the Duchess of Anhalt-Dessau being particularly keen to wean her daughter off the idea of marrying George V. Yet because the Duke of Anhalt-Dessau had set the conclusion of Agnes’ tour at Hanover where she would be reunited with George, naturally the young Princess could think of nothing else. Though several counts, dukes and princes made the effort to impress her in conversation, it quickly became clear to the Dowager Princess that her grandniece was “too preoccupied” which she attributed to “her immaturity which is so very tiring for I am sure I was far less excitable when I was a girl”.

But Aunt Caroline was not the only one to comment on how boisterous Agnes could be. When the Dowager Princess and Agnes finally arrived in Hanover, a few days before George V was due to arrive, the Duchess of Cambridge complained to her daughter Mary Adelaide that she found Agnes “exhausting” and comparing the two, suggested that the 11-year-old princess showed “far more maturity and is far more wise in her years than the Dessau girl”. In a similar observation, the Countess of Armagh noted that Agnes was “so very young in her ways and though she is twenty years of age, she remains quite childlike. This is both charming and irritating”. But in fairness to Princess Agnes, she had endured quite a limited and stifled upbringing in Dessau and who could fail to be carried away by the excitements of a grand tour culminating in a week of festivities in Hanover with the most eligible man in Europe? [4]

Of course, the King had no idea that the ladies of his family were finding Agnes a little too much to handle as he held his final private audience of the summer with the Prime Minister aboard the Royal Yacht in Kingston upon Hull before his departure for Germany. True to their agreement, the Prime Minister had withdrawn from accompanying the King on any part of his tour of England but was hosted by His Majesty before he left England. It was at this meeting that Graham finally confirmed to the King that he intended to call an early general election for the third week of November, the campaign lasting just four weeks until the country went to the ballot. The King acknowledged Graham’s request which would see the King return to England in September to carry out the last few engagements of his royal progress which were cut in number to conclude before the campaign began in the second week of October. Lord Betchworth was in attendance on the King at this time as he was to accompany him to Herrenhausen for Hanover Week and on to Wiesbaden for a meeting with Prince von Metternich at Schloss Johannisberg which had now been arranged by the Austrian Ambassador, Count von Dietrichstein. In his journal, Betchworth noted that the King and Sir James were “slightly hesitant in conversation with each other” and that “their meeting was purely formal lasting just an hour or so to the Prime Minister’s great irritation because he had travelled all the way from London in the hope of being seen publicly with His Majesty at least once”. Graham had to make do with a mention of his private audience in the Court Circular instead – hardly front-page news.

When the King finally arrived in Hanover, he was greeted not by an excitable Princess Agnes but by an unusually enthusiastic Duchess of Cambridge. Always thrilled to be able to break news before anybody else had heard it, the Duchess impatiently chivvied the King into the salon at Herrenhausen where he tried to greet his uncle only to be interrupted by his aunt insisting he sit down. From her pocket she produced a letter and in dramatic fashion, applied a pair of pince-nez as she read the content aloud. Happily she announced to King George V that he had just become an uncle for the second time. On the 2nd of June 1844 at the Anichkov Palace in St Petersburg, the King’s sister had given birth to a son. He was named Nicholas in honour of his grandfather and his birth was celebrated with an outpouring of public celebration. Maria Georgievna recalled many years later that “the cheers of the people rejoicing in the street filled the air so that they might be heard in the nursery and I was told that everywhere about the city the people were rushing about gleefully waving flags and singing songs. The bells of all the churches of St Petersburg rang out and in the evening, we saw fireworks which made such beautiful stars in the skies above us. It was a spectacle I shall never forget”. [5]

To celebrate this new arrival, the King insisted that a special service of thanksgiving be held at the newly completed Royal Guelphic Chapel built by Decimus Burton on the site of the old Garrison Church which George V had demolished in 1842. Princess Agnes wrote in her diary; “We had a very happy supper and then we all walked down to the little chapel here which is very new. Prayers were said for the birth of the little Russian baby who is the King’s new nephew and will one day be King of Russia [sic] so Georgie was very joyful. The Cambridges were cheered by this too and the Duchess far nicer to me than she has been thus far. The service had a very funny moment in which the pastor announced he was saying prayers for the Grand Duke Nicholas Alexandra and I was overcome with the giggles! Aunt Caroline did not approve and gave me a very stern telling off but it really was so very funny”. The King immediately wrote to his sister and brother-in-law congratulating them on the arrival of a son and heir and said that he hoped this meant they could now (along with their new addition to the family) join him for Christmas at Windsor at the end of the year.

“I think you will like my sister”, George said to Agnes, explaining that he had sent the invitation.

“I’m sure I shall!”, Agnes replied happily, “But…”

“Yes?”

“I did not realise I should be in England for Christmas again this year…”

On the 11th of August 1844, the gates of Herrenhausen Palace were swung wide open and the vast crowds that had assembled ahead of the Guelph Day celebrations were allowed to stream into the forecourt surrounding a dais which had been specially constructed with a canopy of rich red velvet trimmed with gold braid and embroidered with the royal arms of Hanover. The King emerged followed by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (and their daughter Mary Adelaide) and the Earl and Countess of Armagh. This investiture was newly created for the occasion and saw a slightly odd gesture made by the Duke when he handed the King a white and gold baton signifying his office – a baton he had not been given during his 30 years as Viceroy and which he only saw for the first time that morning. The King then gave a brief address of thanks and led three cheers for the Cambridges before the Earl of Armagh took an oath to the Crown and constitution of Hanover and received the baton from the King to polite applause from the crowds. Carriages then took the royal party from the dais to the Royal Guelphic Chapel once more for a service of thanksgiving before bringing the King, the Cambridges and the Armaghs back to Herrenhausen for a balcony appearance via a route which cut its way through the city square. But as colourful as the occasion was, it must be said that the turnout for the parade was somewhat lacklustre. Indeed, as the procession turned onto the market square, a young man dashed from the crowds shouting, “Down with the Monarchy!” and had to be dragged away. Some left in the crowd applauded the protestor and jeered at the police who removed him from the scene.

581px-Unbekannt%2C_Maison_de_Plaisir_d%27Herrenhausen%2C_c1708..jpg

Herrenhausen and it's gardens in a 1708 print. They had changed little in 1844.

Safely back at Herrenhausen, there was an impressive gala at which the ladies of Hanover were presented first to the King, then to the new Viceroy and his wife before the various ministers, privy councillors, high bailiffs and magistrates took their turn in formally acknowledging the Earl of Armagh’s new office. This long and drawn-out ceremony bored Princess Agnes who kept asking impatiently when the dancing would begin. Once again, the King appeared especially nervous that evening and obviously distracted as he was forced to sit on a throne with an endless stream of people bowing and bobbing before him. When the last presentation had finally been made, he slipped away from the proceedings for a time to see his uncle, the Duke of Cambridge, in private. Cambridge was in wistful mood. After three decades, his time in Hanover was over and now, at nearly 70 years old, he would be returning home to England to spend what remained of his life in the land of his birth. For the most part, Cambridge felt he had achieved much in keeping the personal union between the Crown of the United Kingdom and the Crown of Hanover alive. Though he could not deny recent events had cast a shadow and he would never look back on his life’s work without a tinge of regret that it had ended in less than happy circumstances.

“I hope you know how very proud we all are of you”, the King said softly, breaking the silence and startling his uncle a little.

“Oh Georgie, you gave me quite a fright!”, Cambridge laughed, “But I am most grateful for your words. If I have made a difference, I am glad of it. It shall feel very strange to leave here…and yet I think of all that time I spent so far away from those I loved. My darling Mama. Your dear Papa”

The King smiled and patted his uncle on the back.

“Don’t spend too long with your ghosts Uncle”, he said playfully, “You’ve years in you yet”

The Duke of Cambridge chuckled. “Years are for the young”, he mused, “I shall live by the day I think and not look too far ahead. Brandy?”

The King nodded and accepted a glass.

“Uncle, I…I want to ask your advice on something and I know you will be honest with me”

The Duke paused slightly whilst he poured brandy from a decanter. He looked up at his nephew like a curious old owl.

“Oh dear”, he said impishly, “Have I become so old that you think me wise? I should hate to give you that impression Georgie”.

The King gave a half-hearted smile. He began to recount the situation that had developed as a result of the Duchess of Cambridge’s letter to the Grand Duchess Marie, how he had been given to thoughts of marrying again and how he considered he might go about it if he came to the conclusion that it was the right course to pursue. Cambridge listened intently, occasionally running his hand through his white shock of hair and patting his rotund stomach as if these gestures would help him to understand. Finally, he nodded slowly and pointed toward a portrait at the far end of the room. It showed the Duchess of Cambridge when she had first married, dressed in a beautiful gown of ivory satin, her pale skin like porcelain, her chestnut curls arranged beneath a sparkling tiara of diamonds.

306px-Augusta%2C_Duchess_of_Cambridge_-_Beechey_1818.jpg

Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge, painted in 1818.

“I think you know that I did not choose your Aunt Augusta for myself”, the Duke said quietly, “But the moment I saw her standing before me, just as pretty as you see there in that portrait…I had my answer. I knew then and there that I should marry her and that if I did not, I would be miserable forever more wondering what might have been. We have had our trials. But I can honestly say today that I love her as dearly as I did then. And I wish the same for you my boy. You have suffered so very much. But life is so short Georgie. Time disappears before your eyes until these portraits are the only thing you have to remind you of how things used to be. Do not waste the years you have. If you love the girl…and if you believe she loves you…then you must not deny yourself that happiness which God has granted to you. Do you understand that Georgie?”

The King looked at his uncle through teary eyes. For a moment, he could almost see the Duke as he had never known him, a young man full of energy and drive arriving at Herrenhausen for the very first time, his beautiful bride following not long after to begin their lives together with so much opportunity ahead. George could see himself in his uncle’s worn face and fleetingly he imagined how it would be when he was 70 years old, white haired and wrinkled. Just as the Duke had Augusta to share those golden years, so too George wished to share the rest of his life with another. Though he had once believed he might find Sunny beside him in his dotage, now he pictured Nessa there instead and he no longer felt pangs of guilt – he simply felt ready to embrace the future.

The following morning, Princess Agnes woke in her suite at Herrenhausen to find a note from the King had been placed on her dressing table. The note invited her to join him later that afternoon when he returned from his meeting with the Privy Council in the private gardens of the Palace. At 2pm, Agnes stepped out onto the gravel path dressed in a pale pink dress trimmed with white lace, her blonde curls tucked neatly under a straw bonnet bedecked with ribbons and paper roses. As she walked further into the gardens, she allowed her hand in its white lace gloves to touch the tops of the lavender bushes sending their perfume into the air. As she turned a corner, she caught sight of the King, his long brown hair smartly coiffed, his clothes freshly pressed and his shoes gleaming in the sun. His appearance was elegant yet his hands could not stay still as he fidgeted. Without a word, he offered Agnes his arm and the pair began to walk through the gardens together.

“When you said you did not know if you would be in England for Christmas again this year…”, the King asked nervously, “Did you say that because the idea doesn’t please you?”

“Oh George!”, Agnes giggled, “You are silly. I adored England and I was very happy to be there. I just wondered if you had asked Papa about it because they…well…I told you that they would not let me go to see Rosa on my own. I really am so excited to see Windsor again, it’s a lovely house and…”

“Do you think you could ever live there?”, George interrupted hastily, immediately cursing himself for blurting out what he had hoped to come to in a more delicate way, “At Windsor, I mean. With…with me”

Agnes blushed a little and looked down at her feet.

“I should like that very much”, she said smiling, “To live there. With you”.

The couple stopped walking. George took Agnes hands in his and stared into her eyes.

“I should like…I…will you…promise me something?”

Agnes looked puzzled but nodded just the same.

“I have to leave tomorrow, to go to Wiesbaden, and you will be going home to your parents”, George said kindly, “When you get there, will you think of us? Together at Windsor? And then, when you come for Christmas…I hope you will give me an answer….”

“An answer to what, Georgie?”, Agnes cooed coyly.

“An answer to whether you might make me so very happy….and consent to be my wife?”

Notes

[1] This may come across as a little mean of the Grand Duchess Marie but I think just as the King had many mixed emotions about marrying again, so Marie would struggle with the idea that her poor daughter Louise was about to be replaced. She might have concerns that her grandchildren would come to view Agnes as their mother etc and so whilst it’s a harsh response, I think it’s logical from the character’s point of view.

[2] I felt a plot point like this was important for Rosa as I tend to find historical fiction from around this time tends to portray the aristocracy’s wife-swapping and slipper games in a kind of rose-tinted Jane Austen light…the reality is somewhat different. But more importantly I included this because it speaks to another divide in society whereby those who set the rules habitually broke them. If Rosa were a working-class girl, her life would be over. Yet for Rosa, her position and rank protect her from the harsh reality of the world. A great decline in morality? Certainly in the OTL the misbehaviour of the upper classes did not pass without comment and was increasingly regarded as unacceptable hypocrisy.

[3] Please excuse this brief overview of the tour but I didn’t see much interest in repeating the same royal schedule all over the UK with the place names changed!

[4] As we’ve hinted at before, Agnes’ age and maturity may prove to be an issue in the future…

[5] The second child for Sasha and Lottie, the Grand Duke Nicholas Alexandrovich.

And so we have wedding bells in the offing at last! The King is not yet engaged and we have the reaction of the Anhalts to all this to come but finally George has accepted he wishes to marry again and Agnes is his choice. Once again, many thanks for reading and I hope that the double chapter today goes some way to make up for the lack of an update last week.

Last edited:
I'm glad George finally accepted his feelings and proposed to Agnes. I hope she can be a good queen and her personality doesn't cause too much trouble.

Oh excellent. We're here at last. George has finally set his eyes on the future, and I'm extremely glad for him.

I also love his relationship with Rosa, although I suspect Agnes may not be quite so equitable about the whole thing.

Also, one minor typo - you mention the Duchess of Cambridge's girls when you mean curls.

Thank you, Opo. You've developed these characters and the fine elements of their attraction to one another beautifully.
Thankyou so much, that's such a lovely compliment!
I'm glad George finally accepted his feelings and proposed to Agnes. I hope she can be a good queen and her personality doesn't cause too much trouble.
I think she'll certainly liven things up a little at the Palace!
Amazing chapters!

And YES! at last the question popped up!
Thankyou!
I have good hopes for george and agnes but we shall see...
On paper, it's a match that definitely works. But as you say, we shall see how it develops in reality.
Widower, not bachelor.
Ah, quite true. I'll swap it to "man" though it doesn't scan quite as nicely as bachelor but you're right, bachelor isn't accurate in this case.

Oh excellent. We're here at last. George has finally set his eyes on the future, and I'm extremely glad for him.

I also love his relationship with Rosa, although I suspect Agnes may not be quite so equitable about the whole thing.

Also, one minor typo - you mention the Duchess of Cambridge's girls when you mean curls.
I'm so glad you mentioned George's relationship with Rosa and how Agnes might come to see it now that she's stepping into a new role. Louise was mature enough to accept it for what it was and not to feel Rosa was a rival or a threat. Will Agnes?

Both great chapters!
I am glad that George Sir James in his place. But, I think that Lord Melbury will want a little something in return. I really like Agnes and George together.

Both great chapters!
I am glad that George Sir James in his place. But, I think that Lord Melbury will want a little something in return. I really like Agnes and George together.
Thankyou so much! I think the relationship between Agnes and George gives a different dynamic to that which we saw with George and Louise and I'm excited to explore that further in future chapters.
Good chapter had to play catch up will have to wait and see what changes happen were.
Thankyou!

It’s my first comment on this site. English is not my first language so forgive me for any mistakes. First I would like to congratulate the author, the story is well maintained and the characters are so well that when I read they seem to come to life and I think it’s great. While reading, I came up with the idea of using George’s diplomatic talent as king of Hanover instead of Britain, being more free to influence foreign policy. The German question in particular. Through the links with various families (Sterlitz, Kassel, Dessau)of the "third Germany" could represent the minor states in the frankfurt assembly. Strengthening the position of the minor states with respect to Austria and Prussia within the German Confederation, this move would be approved by other great powers ( France, Russia) especially by Austria. We can see a first Austrian reform proposal backed by George (similar to that of 1862 otl). And with the spring of Europe (1848) we can see a possible German mediatization (type the states of thuringia, lippe and brunswick) born from the compromise between, the principles and the liberal revolutionaries, convinced by George. To reconcile monarchical ideas and liberal ideals.

Just a quick update guys - I'll be putting out a new instalment tomorrow - possibly two - which will be the last before the Christmas madness. That will take us up to the end of 1844 and then after a few days of the Christmas madness, I'll be back to a more regular posting schedule once more as we head into 1845.

Appreciated, but really not necessary. We all know life comes first sometimes. Enjoy the holidays!
Thankyou! I'll be honest, it's been a bit of a strange one as it's the first since my father passed earlier this year so there's been a certain level of dread to the whole thing - secretly I'm hoping to just get through it in a bit of a rush! But thank you for your kind comments as always @FalconHonour and I wish you and yours a very peaceful and happy holiday season.

Thankyou! I'll be honest, it's been a bit of a strange one as it's the first since my father passed earlier this year so there's been a certain level of dread to the whole thing - secretly I'm hoping to just get through it in a bit of a rush! But thank you for your kind comments as always @FalconHonour and I wish you and yours a very peaceful and happy holiday season.
The first christmas without a loved one is always difficult - I hope you can find some joy in the holiday period :)

Thanks for the amazing timeline. I hope that you and your loved ones have a very merry Christmas.

GV: Part Three, Chapter Twenty-Four: Yesterday's Men
King George V

Part Three, Chapter Twenty-Four: Yesterday's Men

“I have to leave tomorrow, to go to Wiesbaden, and you will be going home to your parents”, George said kindly, “When you get there, will you think of us? Together at Windsor? And then, when you come for Christmas…I hope you will give me an answer….”

“An answer to what, Georgie?”, Agnes cooed coyly.

“An answer to whether you might make me so very happy….and consent to be my wife”

Though many who watched the developing romance blossom between King George V and Princess Agnes of Anhalt-Dessau fully expected that one day they might marry, few expected an engagement to come quite so quickly as it did in August 1844. Among them it seems, was none other than the King himself. It had been his intention to ask Agnes to consider the prospect of becoming his wife, well aware that to marry him was not only to marry George the man but George the King. From the moment they were declared husband and wife, Agnes would become Queen consort of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and of Hanover. These were not mere courtesy titles but an office all their own with privilege balanced by responsibility, the position demanding much of the incumbent who would not only preside over the Court of St James’ as hostess but who would acquire a myriad of duties and obligations simply by virtue of the fact that she was the wife of the Sovereign. Though somewhat indecorous and not very romantic, it cannot be denied that in royal marriages over the centuries the ability to undertake such a task has always been a key consideration; a prospective royal spouse may meet the necessary criteria when it came to age, rank and religion but her personality must also lend itself to the enormity of the role she would assume after her marriage. But in Agnes’ case, there was another important factor the King hoped she might consider, the legacy of her predecessor.

The people of England were still wedded to the memory of the late Queen Louise in 1844, so much so that very few spoke of “the late Queen” in reference to her - she remained, even in death, the Queen. The success of the King’s first marriage, their three children and the obvious happiness of the couple themselves meant that the British had taken George and Louise to their hearts with ease. But it must also be remembered that before the days of endless press speculation and social media rumour, the British would have had absolutely no indication that the King was courting someone else, let alone preparing to make her his Queen. George had certainly considered this and had asked Benjamin Disraeli to ensure that the Court Circular included Agnes (and her family) when it was gazetted and they were at court but visiting royalties were hardly a rare thing and there would have been no hint to the world outside palace walls that the King was to remarry. Whilst George would never have sought to replace his late wife, her natural flair for the public role she adopted when she married him in 1838 made Louise as much a model par excellence in life as much as she became a shining example of exactly how that role should be carried out. In other words, Queen Louise was a hard act to follow and though he had no doubt that Princess Agnes would prove a capable and loving stepmother to his children, King George was anxious that where her public role was concerned, the British people must be allowed time to warm to the Princess before any formal engagement between the couple was announced.

heinrich-von-olivier-bildnis-der-prinzessin-friederike-amalia-agnes-von-anhalt-dessau-auf-einer-terrasse-vor-einem.jpg

Agnes of Anhalt-Dessau, c. 1844.

In private too, there were the sensitivities of other parties to be considered. Because the King proposed somewhat impulsively (he did not even have a ring about his person to propose with), he had not consulted Princess Agnes’ parents – most importantly, her father, Duke Leopold IV. Anhalt-Dessau was hardly a Great Power; it had a population of a little over 38,000 in 1844 and though aligned with the Zollverein by policy and Prussia by family ties, it could hardly command the same lengthy marriage negotiations as there had been for George V’s sister when she married the Tsarevich of Russia. However, there was a strict etiquette to these things which afforded a certain level of respect to even the smallest courts – which were often more formal than those found in London, Berlin or even St Petersburg [1]. When George had asked Agnes to consider the prospect of becoming his wife, he perhaps envisioned that she might go back to Dessau and discuss the idea with her parents to gauge their response, after which he might make arrangements to discuss the idea with Duke Leopold directly – and gain his consent – before officially popping the all-important question.

Entirely understandably, Princess Agnes did not respond to George’s proposal in the way he may have wished. She eagerly accepted him and perhaps carried away by the excitement of the event, failed to appreciate what George was trying to tell her – that though he loved her very much and wished to spend the rest of his life with her, there was much to consider before their engagement was made official. Instead, Agnes dashed back to her room at Herrenhausen and in tears of happiness, declared to her shocked great aunt the Dowager Princess Caroline that she was engaged to be married. The Dowager Princess thought for a few moments and, again, entirely understandably, suggested that Agnes may wish to consult her father on the matter before she settled to anything. Agnes didn't quite understand this advice and enthusiastically penned a letter to Duke Leopold in Dessau declaring that she was now engaged and that she hoped her parents would give her their blessing when she returned home in the next fortnight. At the same time, George was sending a letter of his own to Neustrelitz.

Though Grand Duchess Marie felt otherwise, George had no intention whatsoever of making any wedding plans, or even formalising his engagement, until he first had the blessing of his former in-laws. This was so important to him that he asked the Strelitzes to join him at Rumpenheim on extremely short notice so that he could explain his position in person. He also sent a second letter to his future mother-in-law, the Duchess of Anhalt-Dessau, in which he made no mention of what had transpired in the gardens of Herrenhausen that day but instead offered the Dessaus an invitation to join him for Christmas once more at Windsor in a few months’ time. Presumably, the King hoped that by then all concerns would have been negated and that his engagement could be made public in the new year to great happiness in all quarters. George could not simply marry at leisure, he had to inform the Privy Council and the Cabinet first – a formality given that his marriage did not contravene the newly implemented laws on royal marriage but one that was to be respected just the same. Such a courtesy would have to wait however. With Hanover Week concluded and the Earl of Armagh now invested as Viceroy, George said his goodbyes to his intended as she returned to Dessau and he set off for Rumpenheim ahead of his meeting with the Prince von Metternich at Wiesbaden.

The King’s foreign trip had taken on a new importance with his proposal of marriage but it must be remembered that the only reason he was on the continent at all (at least in the eyes of the British government) was to conduct an all-important charm offensive on the Austrian Chancellor whom the United Kingdom hoped would finally give his backing to the Betchworth Declaration. Unity on such a proposal was vital to the survival of the Straits Pact and without that, there were serious concerns that the spectre of war might once again surface between the Great Powers. As an outside observer no longer responsible for Britain’s foreign policy and as someone who by instinct opposed the Tory approach to international affairs, Lord Palmerston wrote to Lord Melbury around this time that the survival of the Straits Pact was “sacrosanct to peace” and that “if one thing shatters the Concert of Europe in the next decade, it shall either be the rise of the anarchist revolutionary or the abandonment of the Straits Agreement”. Though he initially opposed the Pact, Palmerston (possibly in an attempt to endear himself to the new Whig leader in hopes of being restored to the Foreign office in a Whig victory at the upcoming general election) now threw his full weight behind the Pact. “Though I do not accept many of the merits the authors of that document espouse”, he wrote, “I do consider it essential to continued peace in Europe that the Great Powers stand firm in the face of Russian aggression for if they do not, and if they abandon their pledges at this hour, it shall send a message to the Tsar that he may behave as he likes without consequence. This will undoubtedly exacerbate the tensions now growing between our two countries in Afghanistan but will also, I am certain, spill over into other spheres until war is unavoidable”.

372px-Metternich_%28c._1835-40%29.jpg

Metternich.

Klemens von Metternich had dominated Austrian foreign policy as Chancellor for over twenty years and arguably, it was during his tenure that Austria reached the peak of her diplomatic importance. Under his auspices, Austria had aligned herself with Russia and to a lesser extent Prussia, but by 1844 Metternich’s grasp on domestic power was slipping. No longer could he command unrivalled authority or simply expect that consent and approval would be unwaveringly given to his directives and as a result, he had begun to consider the possibility that at the age of 70, the glory days of his political career may be behind him and retirement may now beckon. Metternich began to spend more time on his vast estates, his favourite being Schloss Johannisberg near Wiesbaden. He received this palace near the Rhine in 1816 as a gesture of forgiveness from Emperor Francis after Metternich was heavily criticised for spending too much time in Italy during a particularly nasty disagreement between the Austrian Empire and the Kingdom of Bavaria to which Metternich paid little attention. For the first time, Metternich found himself taking the liberal cause against the conservative Francis and their relationship was briefly damaged, Schloss Johannisberg standing testament to the fact that it was quickly recovered and restored to its past warmth and mutual respect. By 1844 however, old criticisms were resurfacing in Vienna as Metternich was rarely in the Austrian capital and could instead be found shooting, hunting or fishing on his sprawling estates throughout Austria, Germany and Switzerland as his advanced age required that he remove himself more and more from the cut and thrust of the political establishment. He was fast becoming more the benign figure of a revered elder statesman than the active and passionate defender of his cause for which he had become so much respected in his youth and yet Metternich was not yet ready to leave the stage entirely.

Others saw the writing on the wall. Around the time of his meeting with King George V at Wiesbaden, Metternich was particularly unpopular in Vienna. In June 1843, the Duke of Paraiba had travelled to the Austrian capital to secure a marriage between his brother-in-law, the Emperor Pedro II of Brazil, and a Habsburg Princess [2]. Prince Albert had charmed the Prince of Salerno and his wife at their private residence in the imperial capital and had settled on a bride for his brother-in-law in their daughter Princess Maria Carolina. Though she belonged the House of Bourbon-Two-Sicilies by birth, her lineage was pure Habsburg as her mother was the daughter of Emperor Francis II and her father was the grandson of Empress Maria Theresa. Happily, Maria Carolina was a first cousin to Pedro through Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily, Maria Carolina’s aunt Maria Leopoldina being Pedro’s mother. Despite this lofty pedigree however, Maria Carolina had a certain relaxed charm which greatly appealed to all those who met her. At 22 years old, the blonde beauty had caught the attention of many potential suitors, indeed, in France, King Louis Philippe had received reports of her “exquisite appearance” and considered her the perfect bride for his fifth and second youngest son the Duke of Aumale. Naturally the Salernos felt that an Emperor far outranked a minor royal Duke and were receptive to Albert’s offer to begin marriage negotiations – but there was a sting in the tail. Metternich would have to approve first.

When Prince Albert met with Metternich to discuss this matter however, Metternich was reluctant. Instead, he proposed that the Duke of Paraiba go to St Petersburg to open negotiations with the Tsar on a Russian match for the young Brazilian Emperor instead. But a story had developed thereafter, and which was widely shared in Vienna, that Maria Carolina had been shown a portrait of Pedro II and had promptly fallen in love. Whilst this is highly unlikely, it was exactly the sort of tale of tortured romance in imperial circles which the Austrian aristocracy adored and very quickly rumours spread that Maria Carolina’s beauty had visibly diminished as a result of her being denied the chance to marry her one true love. She was said to be pale and drawn, timid and shy, her former ebullience replaced by a nervous exhaustion. Metternich was the villain of the piece and roundly criticised – somewhat unfairly – for refusing to give his permission for Maria Carolina and Pedro II to be married. Of course, this was not the real reason Viennese society was turning on Metternich but it allowed all great families of all political persuasions to unite around a common dislike of the old man. Things only got worse when, from Wiesbaden, Metternich gave his approval for Maria Carolina to be engaged to the Duke of Aumale – a man she was rumoured to have met and despised at first sight. The popular image of a love-sick princess denied the man she truly loved caught hold and Metternich’s esteem sank somewhat as the gossips said all kinds of ghastly things about the Duke of Aumale to make the contrast between him and the Emperor Pedro far more stark to embellish the fairy tale [3].

Of course, none of this was of concern to King George V when he prepared for his visit to Wiesbaden in September 1844 – if he had heard about Albert’s difficulties with Metternich, it’s unlikely he cared much about them. George V had met Metternich briefly before but this was quite a different situation as ostensibly he was to pay a courtesy call on the old man at Schloss Johannisberg simply because the two men were in the same area at the same time. Not that this deceived Metternich in the slightest. He knew only too well that the United Kingdom wanted Austria to adopt the Betchworth Declaration and to encourage Prussia to do the same. Metternich had waivered because he felt the sanctions proposed in Paris were too strong and instead, there was an agreement for all Straits signatories to assemble in Vienna in November 1844 to discuss new quotas which reflected the Russian violation of their previous allocation of ships allowed to pass through the Dardanelles. Yet he did agree that the Pact must be upheld if it was to mean anything at all. When he was told that George V just so happened to be in Wiesbaden and wanted to meet with him, Metternich smiled and retorted “Then let us go on with the pantomime” but this should not be seen as an indication that he entered the meeting with a preconceived determination to give no grounds at all. Metternich respected George V and had previously commented on his diplomatic skill but he was not about to be brow beaten by a young man in his early twenties into going against his better political instinct.

Consequently, word was sent to George V at the eleventh hour that, with the Prince’s sincere regret, he had been called back to Vienna urgently and could therefore not receive the King at Schloss Johannisberg as planned. George didn’t believe a word of this and called Metternich’s bluff. He sent an urgent message back telling the Austrian Chancellor that he quite understood and had made alternative travel arrangements – happily, this meant that George would find himself at the Taunusbahn around half an hour before the 11am train for Frankfurt (the only possible train Metternich could be boarding if he really was going to Vienna) departed. When this reached Metternich, he gave a hearty laugh and supposedly said to his secretary; “I know when I am beaten – and it is my honour on this occasion to be beaten by the King of England [sic]”. Whether true or not, this anecdote found its way back to George who dined out on it for years, recounting the story well into his later years as “the time I bested old Metternich”. And best him the King did.

Metternich’s attempt to wrong foot the British deputation was meant in no way as a slight against George V personally but by delaying the meeting and forcing the King (and the Foreign Secretary, Lord Betchworth) to race to Frankfurt for a rushed meeting in a railway siding he possibly hoped that the whole meeting would be forgotten about and that the proposed conference in Vienna to settle the Straits issue could go ahead without British interference. But in this, he underestimated George’s resolve – and admittedly, his stubbornness. Though Betchworth was keen to throw in the towel and consider the trip a lost cause, the King departed Rumpenheim as planned, dressed in his best and keen to flex his diplomatic muscles. To keep up his pretence, Metternich was forced to leave the cosy comfort of his summer home to head for the filthy sooty station at Frankfurt. Fortunately, whilst Metternich had not joined the wealthiest Europeans in their new fad for commissioning luxurious railway carriages, he could boast exclusive use of the private train of Carl von Brunner, the German philanthropist and primary investor in the Hessische Ludwigsbahn. So it was that Metternich had to sit in a siding aboard this train in the summer heat until the King arrived, though he was not without sustenance as he sipped a glass of ice-cold champagne topped with Italian meringue – a particular favourite of Prince von Metternich which he always served to his guests regardless of the weather [4].

Speaking in 1927, George V’s son the Duke of Clarence recalled how the King “always kept a little notebook and in this, he noted down everything a guest enjoyed from his favourite foods to any hobbies or interests he may have – I have it today and it is quite remarkable not only for its detail but for the hugely impressive figures from our recent history that my Papa entertained”. In this way, the King always had something to say to even the most dreary of visitor and it appears he began collating this vital information before his meeting with Metternich for when he arrived at the Taunusbahn, Charlie Phipps carried with him a red box in which lay the Order of the Bath. George had heard that Metternich was a keen collector of medals and decorations and his unique position meant that he was never short of new additions to his collection. But whilst Metternich had a Hanoverian order, he had not yet been granted a British one. Whilst George was not willing to go so far as to make Metternich a Knight of the Garter, he proffered the Bath instead, giving Metternich a brief history of its foundation when he handed it over. Metternich was deeply touched and this certainly must have provided quite the ice breaker as the elder statesman and the young Sovereign settled into the train carriage in a railway siding to discuss the all-important issue of the Straits Pact. Possibly trying to push things in the right direction (and to allow him to return to his Schloss as soon as possible), Metternich congratulated the King on the recent news that he had become an uncle again with the birth of the Grand Duke Nicholas in St Petersburg.

“You’re very kind”, George smiled appreciatively, “I hope to meet the child soon, if my sister can be persuaded to come to England for a time. Though that is easier said than done I’m afraid”

“Oh?”, Metternich inquired, his eyebrow raised, “I was led to believe that Her Imperial Highness often visited her homeland”

“Russia is her homeland now”, George said a little sternly, “It is a long way from England. And it isn’t just the distance. You know, I think, that there is a certain level of animosity toward Russia in my country – a sentiment I do not share of course…how could I? I have Russians in my own family after all”.

Metternich smiled and offered the King a cigar.

“Do you really regard them to be so? Family, I mean?”

“Unquestionably”, the King explained, “A little foreign perhaps but family nonetheless. That is why I dislike all this unpleasantness that exists, all this suspicion. I had hoped my sister’s marriage would ease some of that but alas, it has not”

“Your dream is that of a Europe bound together in peace through the blood ties of its Crowned heads, I take it?”, Metternich said, half in jest, “Stockmar taught you well…”

Instead of allowing his temper to rise, George laughed heartily.

“Oh God, that dreadful old fellow”, he grinned, “I had no idea you knew that about me. Well, yes Sir. I confess, I see the value in Stockmar’s vision. But I also see the value in mutual respect between nations, regardless of family ties. A respect built on trust, on the principle that a man’s word is his bond. If I have a dream of a peaceful future for my children, it is built on that. Take your Emperor for example. I cannot count him as a cousin and yet I call him that. Because he has my respect and my trust”

Metternich raised his eyebrows a little and allowed himself a wry smile. He called for more drinks.

“You know Your Majesty, I had almost signed to the declaration proposed by your Foreign Minister”, he said impishly, “But I relented at the last. Your politicians have made Russia the presage of war these many years, whenever there is a crisis, they have blamed the great bear for such aggression. But do they ever consider that they have been equally aggressive to secure the interests of their own country? What else was your war in Afghanistan? This is why I believe they are so headstrong about this pact business. It is not really to punish or to deter. It is to draw a line in the sand, to say that the mighty British tamed the great Russian savage and that Europe must be in her debt for it. You see now why I could not sign?”

George thought carefully for a moment.

“I do. But…might I ask…why did you sign the Pact itself if you had no intention of upholding it?”

“I have every intention of upholding it because it is a sound agreement”, Metternich laughed, “I believe in its principles. But, with respect Your Majesty, it cannot be exploited to teach the Russians the lesson you failed to impart in Kabul. And that is why I did not sign. Because I believe this declaration your Lord Betchworth proposes does not strengthen the pact between our nations. Rather, it dooms it to failure because it fails to appreciate why the Russians violated their quota”

“Because they could”

Metternich slammed the table gleefully with a wide grin.

“Precisely Your Majesty! Because they could. And because regardless of sanctions, they will again”

“So the Pact is not worth the paper it is written on?”

Metternich chortled.

“I wouldn’t say that”, he replied, “But if your government really believes shaming the Russians into staying true to their word is the way forward, they simply do not know the Tsar as well as I do. You will forgive my use of platitudes but…one often catches more flies with honey than with vinegar…”

George sighed. He had believed it would all be so easy. And yet here there was an impasse.

“I will not sign this agreement”, Metternich confirmed resolutely, “However…might I make a suggestion to you?”

“Of course”, the King replied, “I should welcome your advice”

“Go to Russia”, Metternich said seriously, “Meet with the Tsar. He is far easier to charm than I. He is a good man at heart but vain. You have the opportunity; you must grasp it. And when you meet with him, remind him that it was your proposal for this pact which secured access to the Straits which he might otherwise have been forced to sacrifice”

“It was not my proposal but my government’s”, George said hurriedly.

Metternich hauled himself to his feet, an indication that he had given of himself all he was willing to share.

“Your Majesty”, he said softly, “I have met a great many Emperors, Kings and Princes. They had a great deal in common, these men to whom God was so generous. They had foresight, they had intelligence, they had determination – but one thing none of them possessed, was modesty. If you wish to make your mark upon the world, you must do so loudly and be heard or else your voice shall be lost in the crowd. How else do you think I have been in power all these years? I am no great visionary – I am simply the loudest man in Vienna”.

74187.jpg

Sir James Graham.

Back in London, the Prime Minister was left bitterly disappointed. Somewhat hypocritically, he had hoped that the King would return with Metternich’s signature on the Betchworth Declaration, allowing Sir James to head into his general election campaign with a renewed sense of credibility when it came to foreign policy and the threats that existed to peace in Europe. As his domestic agenda offered little to tempt the voters to trust him to continue in government, Graham wanted to supplement those failings with a grand announcement that Britain had put her foot down on the foreign stage, that she was fulfilling her self-appointed role as peacekeeper for the good of all nations. Thankfully, there was a happy note on which to leave the rather tense audience between King and Prime Minister. George informed Sir James Graham what had transpired at Herrenhausen and for the first time, he formally indicated his intention to marry again. Yet he asked for the matter to remain private for a time. Phipps had agreed to use his press connections once more to slowly introduce Princess Agnes to the British public. Over the next few months, articles would appear with discrete (Palace-approved) mentions of her that espoused her fine qualities and would even be allowed to mention that she had “taken the interest of His Majesty” and “provided him with some happiness in the loneliness he has felt since the tragic loss of the late and much-beloved Queen Louise”. Graham offered his congratulations to the King and promised that the government would be happy to assist where it could in making George’s engagement (and eventual marriage) the success the Prime Minister was certain it would be. An informal timetable was discussed and we can see from the King’s journal that the first mention of a possible wedding date seems to have featured on the agenda with July proposed as “the most practical month for a ceremony”.

Much to her irritation, the redoubtable Princess Mary was not at Buckingham Palace when her nephew returned to England and so the Prime Minister was informed of the joyous news before she was. In fact, it took her two days to travel from Weymouth because of bad weather and so by the time she arrived in London and the King finally shared his news with her, she surprised the King by bursting into tears and clutching him tightly saying “Oh my darling boy…I am so very happy…so very happy”. Not prone to such affectionate displays, it was perhaps a sign that the Princess was mellowing a little in her old age – though not too much. When the King said that he had found Agnes’ aunt, the Dowager Princess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt quite trying company, Mary retorted acerbically, “A Princess of nowhere is a Princess of no consequence”. But Mary’s delight quickly gave way to concern when she learned just how spontaneous the King’s proposal had been. Though she held no truck with the excruciatingly tedious formality of the smaller German courts (she visited Bad Homburg only once after her sister Elizabeth married there and declared it ‘a petty nonsense of a place’), she was wise enough to know that Agnes would more than likely present her engagement as a fait accompli which was unlikely to go down well with the Anhalt-Dessaus who no doubt would feel slighted that George did not approach them first. But her main source of anxiety came from the direction of Neustrelitz. Though George had asked his aunt to meet him at Rumpenheim so that he could prepare the ground in person, Marie pretended she did not receive the letter and sent no reply, neither did she make any attempt to travel to her brother’s palace to meet with her nephew.

It is entirely possible that Marie felt confirmation of George’s new romance too hard to bear. Yet it was kindness on the King’s part that prompted him to try and accommodate his mother-in-law’s feelings and he was left somewhat irritated, and even a little bitter, when Marie so openly snubbed his efforts. When Princess Mary asked if he had written to the Strelitzes informing them of his plans, George shrugged. He explained that he had made an attempt to meet with his Aunt Marie at Rumpenheim but that she had ignored his request. Princess Mary advised that the Strelitzes should be invited to Windsor for Christmas once more and that, if they arrived earlier than the Dessaus, it might be easier for the King to overcome the obstacles the Grand Duchess had set in his path. George shook his head. Though he adored his Strelitz in-laws, he was not their son and he did not require their permission to marry again. If the Grand Duchess would not take the olive branch he extended whilst he was in Germany, he felt no compunction to other another and thus, for the first time since 1838, the Strelitzes were to be removed from the list of “regular guests” retained by the Royal Household. Instead, the Anhalt-Dessaus were put in their place, a move Princess Mary knew would only deepen the growing rift between the families which was especially awkward given the close connections between the Cambridges and the Strelitzes, their daughter Augusta having married the Strelitz heir in 1843.

Grossherzogin-Marie-300x300.jpg

Marie of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

In his 1910 biography of her, Peregrine St John suggested that Princess Mary behaved somewhat badly when she received the news that her nephew was to marry again and that this was somehow prompted by a realisation that a new Queen consort would mean a curtailment of her position in the Royal Household. Her great-niece, Princess Victoria, was horrified to read this and ever keen to defend her family’s honour, she wrote to her own niece Princess Beatrice. Her letter reveals more than just how Princess Mary felt about a new addition to the Royal Family and though it was written many years after her introduction to her new step-mother when Toria was still a child, if we believe her account it is clear that Princess Mary was far from aggrieved in any way that she may lose some of her authority and influence at court – rather, Victoria suggests (falsely) that it was Mary who “pressed my Papa to marry once more”. As we have seen, this is untrue yet in the rest of her letter Victoria muses on the subject of how she felt about acquiring a stepmother; “It was quite proper of course but the Anhalt-Dessaus were not kind people, neither were they particularly cultured or intelligent so one could not reasonably expect their daughter to be so. Though it must be said my stepmother had none of the qualities of her mother who was really such a dragon and whilst thankfully she more resembled her father, the old Duke was a crashing bore and certainly never fit with our family with all his strange Prussian ways”. On the other hand, Princess Marie Louise later recalled that she “simply adored my darling Step Mama from the very first. She was so sweet with me - with us all - so pretty and so charming. She found it very difficult to adjust to the court in England but within the family she was very well liked and though she could never replace my poor dear Mama, the late Queen [Agnes] was so very dear to me that I still miss her presence today”.

As the inner circle of the Royal Family contemplated the future of the monarchy with its new Queen consort on the horizon, the country too looked forward to what might be as the general election campaign became far more frantic than had been expected. Sir James Graham, Lord Melbury and Sir Bernard Jallick toured as much of England as they could to muster support – some being better received than others. From his first few public appearances, the Prime Minister realised something unusual was in the air. The narrative of the ‘Great Decline’ proved nigh impossible to break and everywhere he went he was greeted with apathy. That quickly turned to anger and worrying development in the election campaign which was widely reported (somewhat gleefully by the Whig press), voters greeted the Prime Minister in Stoke on Trent by pelting his carriage with eggs so that he could not get out and give the rallying speech for the Tory cause he had planned. Things only got worse the further north Graham travelled too. In Manchester it was felt too dangerous for him to appear in public as the mood turned sour and his rally was cancelled.

But by far the most unsettling reception came in County Durham and Sir James’ trip there would become the defining moment of the 1844 general election. Whilst visiting the East Riding, horrific news came through from the Durham Coalfield that there had been a terrible explosion as the result of blackdamp at the Haswell Colliery. 95 men were killed and only four employees of the coal mine survived [5]. Naturally Sir James wished to go to Haswell to comfort the relatives of the victims but as his carriage approached through the neighbouring pit village of Wingate, he was suddenly jolted to an abrupt halt. Peering out of the carriage window, Graham was met with an eery sight. Miners from the nearby pits had banded together and had formed a human chain across the road, forbidding the Prime Minister from going anywhere near Haswell. He was forced to turn back and though he had his letter of condolence published in the newspapers, much was made of a premier who had “lost the confidence of the country in a time of great decline”. But Sir James was losing confidence too. For the first time since he called the election, he turned to his Private Secretary and asked with a sigh, “Am I really to become yesterday’s man?”. He would have his answer soon enough.

Notes

[1] This continued to be the case in the OTL until 1918. Even the grandest British royalties felt somewhat confused when faced with the overly complicated court etiquette one might find in Dessau or Neustrelitz.

[2] See “A Brief Trip to Rio” in the Threadmarks for more background on this.

[3] As in the OTL, Maria Carolina marries the Duke of Aumale so Pedro II here in TTL remains unwed – for now.

[4] Said to be the inspiration for Escoffier’s Punch Romaine – most famously served in the à la Carte restaurant on the RMS Titanic on the evening of the 14th of April 1912 aboard the SS Titanic…

[5] As in the OTL.

A huge thank you to everyone for your continued patience - and interest! - in Crown Imperial. This will be our last update before Christmas so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy holiday season. We'll be back on track with more regular updates shortly before New Year which will close off 1844 - meaning TTL will go into 1845 just as we head into 2023.

Last edited: