Crown Imperial: An Alt British Monarchy

A slight spoiler here but in an instalment or two, the subject of the design for the "new" Palace of Westminster is going to come back into TTL for reasons that will become clear.

The idea occurred to me that it might be fun to put the final decision to you guys as a thank you for sticking with Crown Imperial for so long. There'd be three designs to choose from and there'd be a poll where you can choose your favourite. And the design that wins will be the one that gets built, as I have story options to accommodate any of the three.

Is that something that would be of interest or would people rather have a nice surprise instead?

Aye, I'd like the chance to vote on it, too. It also seems more organic, you might end up with your least-preferred design, and that in turn might feed into the characters having an adverse reaction to it too, which just deepens the realism even further :)

What a great response! Thank you all so much!

I'll introduce the new designs in the next instalment and then set up the poll.
Aye, I'd like the chance to vote on it, too. It also seems more organic, you might end up with your least-preferred design, and that in turn might feed into the characters having an adverse reaction to it too, which just deepens the realism even further :)
Absolutely! I think that's a great take on it!
I would vote yes if only because I'd love to see all three designs -- the plan for the Regent's Park development was impressive!
Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked the Regent's Park development, it's been a real labour of love. I'm only sad it didn't happen in the OTL because I think it would have been amazing had it come off.

I think most of the designs featured a tower, but one of them moved the location to a nearby park and featured a more US Capitol Building arrangement, I believe.

From my research, most designs fell into two camps: Neogothic Royal Palace or Neoclassical Senate House. There was also a clear divide as to whether the new palace should be one building or two. For example, one design had the Commons on the Thames embankment and the Lords placed directly opposite across a new courtyard created from demolishing parts of Old Palace Yard.

I have seen some very bizarre designs though in researching this plot line. None perhaps as strange as what came after the rebuild in the OTL which then got the big wigs at Westminster Abbey in a tizzy because they felt the new Palace dwarfed them and they wanted to expand. Part of this was to be a tower double the size of St Stephen's in the 1860s/70s to ensure Westminster Abbey had the tallest spot on the London skyline.

In a high wind, I imagine Londoners taking bets on which way the Abbey tower would fall; would it take out parliament or the abbey below? XD

GV: Part Two, Chapter 15: Exits and Entrances
King George V

Part Two, Chapter Fifteen: Exits and Entrances

The Christmas of 1839 could only ever be described as bittersweet for the Royal Family. As they gathered at Windsor Castle to celebrate the festive season, George V noted in his diary that “there seemed far fewer of us than ever before”. The Dowager Duchess of Clarence had hoped to go to Windsor but just before setting off from Clarence House, she developed a chill. She was advised by her physician that if she still intended to accompany the Cambridges (and the Princess Royal) to Germany in January, she must stay in London to recover. At Frogmore, Princess Augusta was deemed too unwell to make the short journey to the castle. She had been in poor health for some time but now, she appeared to be entering the final phase of her illness. Nursed by her sister Princess Sophia, Augusta believed she would not see out the year (a family trait of pessimism where sickness was concerned) and had even begun ordering her servants to tie white ribbons around objects she had reserved to be given to the Royal Collection upon her eventual demise.

A new face at Windsor that year meant that a familiar one elected not to attend. In a gesture of goodwill, the King and Queen had asked the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to join them for the Christmas celebrations. They were to stay at Royal Lodge and not at the castle itself, and the invitation was only extended for luncheon on the 25th and for a ball to be held in the evening of Boxing Day; the Sussexes were not to join the Royal Family for the traditional Christmas Eve gift exchange or supper. Still, this proved too much for Princess Mary who opted to spend Christmas at Frogmore with her two sisters, only seeing the King and Queen in person for the Christmas morning service at St George’s Chapel, Windsor. Mary was still incensed that the King had sanctioned the Sussex marriage; his decision to offer formal recognition to the Duke’s bride meant that she was now entitled to the style of Royal Highness.

The gathering on Christmas Eve was therefore smaller than before with only the King and Queen, the Princess Royal, Princess Charlotte Louise and the Cambridges present. The Queen was to begin her confinement in a matter of weeks, her second child due in just two months, and though Dr Allison had asked her to bring her laying in forward by a month, the Queen refused; she would not miss a single moment with Missy ahead of her departure from England on January the 10th the following year. Yet amidst the sadness of their parting on the horizon, the King and Queen did their best to have a jolly time. The King gifted his wife a pair of 17th century Delftware tulip vases for her collection; unfortunately, everybody had heard of the Queen’s fondness for the ceramics, and she was inundated with jars, vases, plates, cups, saucers and even a bowl which the sender had clearly not realised was actually a shaving dish. Shortly before supper was served on Christmas Eve, Queen Louise nodded to Charlie Phipps who opened the doors to the Great Hall and amid excited yaps and coos of approval, two King Charles Cavalier Spaniel puppies came bounding in towards the family.

One of these puppies was a Blenheim boy, the white of his muzzle broken up with a ‘Blenheim Kiss’, a blot of chestnut fur in the middle of the forehead. He was a gift for the King, the Queen becoming increasingly concerned that her husband’s childhood canine friend Jack was nearing the end of his days. George was thrilled and named his new companion Harry. Harry quickly asserted himself as top dog and took a shine to the Queen’s spaniel, Diamond. Harry and Diamond would give the Royal Family more puppies, the spaniels becoming the favoured royal pet for decades. The second puppy was a gift for the Princess Royal and was a black and tan female who was given the name Holly. Holly would go with Missy to Bautzen, though she made quite the first impression on Lady Dorothy Wentworth when she became too excited and wet on Dolly’s skirt. The Cambridges had no idea that the Queen was to give new pets as presents and added to the chaos when they presented the Queen with an African grey parrot named Sybil.

Another gift which raised eyebrows was the arrival of a box from St Petersburg and which was laid among the other presents in the Great Hall. The box came from the House of Bolin, the most important jeweller in Russia before that most coveted spot was challenged by Fabergé in the late 19th century. Bolin had been commissioned by the Tsarevich to create something special for his intended; the jeweller did not fail his client. The Tsarevich’s gift was a devant de corsage, a large piece of jewellery intended to be worn on the centre panel of the bodice of a dress. But Bolin had gone beyond producing yet another fashionable stomacher. This piece boasted a large emerald as the focal point and by turning three small clasps, the diamond pendants could be removed leaving the emerald surrounded by brilliants as a stand-alone piece to be worn as a brooch – with or without a diamond drop at it’s base. When the King saw the gift, he could no longer placate himself that the Russian match was still not a serious prospect. Sasha’s intentions were clear for all to see. [1]

Brooch.png

The Bolin Stomacher gifted to Princess Charlotte Louise by the Tsarevich. The piece no longer exists but this is the original design found in Bolin's archives.

But far away from the extravagant presents and lavish suppers at Windsor, Christmas 1839 was a thoroughly miserable time for the vast majority of the King’s subjects. The food crisis had reached breaking point, and many have suggested that had it not been for the announcement of a general election, the riots which occurred across England with alarming regularity may have been much larger and far more impactful. Others have suggested that the reason such riots did not gather more interest was nothing at all to do with the election (the working classes cared more for bread than the ballot) but because most were simply too hungry to make the long journeys to cities and towns to join the uprisings. At Crowhurst, the Prime Minister gave the green light to introducing the so-called Russell mechanism as soon as parliament sat again the new year. This would tie the price of bread to the supply and make wheat and other grains more affordable. But it was only a short-term solution and not one that brought much comfort in the days of the Winter of Discontent.

Lord John Russell was pleased to see his proposal taken up (not that Edward Stanley had left Lord Cottenham much choice) but he felt a definite sense of frustration too. He could not see any way in which the Whigs might convince the electorate to stay the course and he seriously worried that many of his colleagues would find themselves ousted from the Commons. The Russell Group was mostly comprised of backbenchers in marginal seats. If their seats were taken by the Tories (or worse, the Unionists), then he would find his cabal of supporters stuck outside the walls of the Palace of the Westminster and whatever happened in the general election, Russell might once again find the top job eluded him. Sir James Graham had no such anxieties. In his mind, the Whigs were a busted flush. They would be out of office by the Spring and the Tories returned to government. To that end, he gave a party at his London townhouse to celebrate the New Year where the Tory grandees toasted the future ahead with champagne – and jostled for Cabinet posts between glasses.

One politician who shared Graham’s confidence was not a prospective Cabinet minister but an incumbent one. Lord Melbury had become something a royal favourite and the King had taken him into his confidence as a close friend. In later years Melbury would say that whilst he still felt a knot in his stomach when he recalled his earlier clash with George V, it had “broken the ice and allowed us to speak our minds, to put aside position and rank, and to enjoy a friendship which I consider to have been sincerely cherished by both parties”. Melbury was invited to attend the ball given on Boxing Day at Windsor and whilst there, he privately warned the King that he may soon be facing a change of government. In the Foreign Secretary’s view, the Tories were likely to win a decent majority and the Whigs would remain in the political wilderness for quite some time. George noted this in his journal but attributed no opinion of his own to Melbury’s predictions.

Indeed, George’s diary entries during the Winter of Discontent do not focus so much on politics but rather on the departure of the Princess Royal and the impending confinement of his wife. He was certain her second child would be a boy and jotted down that he had already chosen the name of the new Prince of Wales. He was to be called William Edward George Frederick, William in honour of the late Duke of Clarence, Edward in honour of the King’s late brother, George for the King and Frederick for the King’s late father. But there are two other names which appear in the pages of the King’s journal at this time which are of great interest to royal historians. Prince Alexander of Prussia had been a close friend to the King for years and from 1839 onwards, Alexander became a regular at court once more. He was accompanied by his mistress, Rosalind Wiedl. Whilst many in London society frowned on this relationship, the Queen knew that the King could only see the good in Alexander and so she extended a welcome to Wiedl too, the two women becoming close friends themselves.

2088a78eb728678c2d35d1b65d3fa24a.jpg

Rosalinde Wiedl.

George wished the Prince to remain in England for a while, presumably to help cheer him when the Princess Royal had left and when his time with his wife was to be heavily restricted according to the customs surrounding childbirth in this period. But perhaps George also saw that Alexander was spiralling somewhat. He drank to excess and even though Rosalinde Wiedl was his primary companion, there were other women too – usually found in the brothels of whichever grand city Alexander found himself in. The King offered the Prince and his friend the use of Fort Belvedere on the Windsor estate for a few months before it’s redecoration. At New Year, George gifted his sister Marlborough House with the lease placed in her hands for the duration of her lifetime, not the King’s. He had intended to gift her the Fort too but he had opted instead to refurbish the property and wait and see what happened with Charlotte Louise’s marriage prospects.

It was after visiting Prince Alexander at the Fort that for the first time beyond a mention of her name, the King gives his impression of Rosalinde Wiedl. The thirty-year-old widow was well liked by the Cambridges and distinguished herself by using her existing friendship with the Sussexes to make the new Duchess feel comfortable in a room full of gossips who were clearly fascinated that she had finally been welcomed to court as a member of the family [2]. “Frau W. is a lady with a most excellent sense of humour and one can quite see what Alexander finds so appealing in her character. She made a wonderful addition to the party and Sunny told me that she thought it a great shame that Fritz and Lulu consider her a bad influence for there is little evidence that any of Xander’s poor behaviour is encouraged by Rosa. I found the opposite to be true for it was Rosa who stopped X from taking more wine at luncheon when he was already quite intoxicated. Sunny was most put out as he became a crashing bore but afterwards agreed with me that Rosa had rescued the gathering by being so very witty”.

Another guest present in the New Year’s celebrations at Windsor was Decimus Burton. Burton was something of a workaholic and instead of arriving simply to have a good time, he brought with him his revised plans for the Regent’s Park development. Building on the work he had already contributed to John Nash’s original designs; he had produced something that delighted the King and mid-ball, George took his Uncles Cambridge and Sussex into his study with Burton to show them the plans for the first time. Both agreed that the end result would be very impressive indeed if the works could be afforded. But the King was not to be dissuaded. He was boosted by Burton’s second gift that evening; the news that Hanover House at Broadwindsor would be completed by the autumn at the very latest; “Then that is where we shall spend next Christmas”, the King cried happily, “And Uncle Cambridge, I shall have no excuses – you shall be back with us at Hanover House next year – those old ruins at Herrenhausen can’t have you all the time, what?”

The King had finally made his peace with the idea that this Uncle would be leaving England. He had also accepted that his daughter would go with him. But on the 10th of January 1840, the reality of these separations could no longer be spoken of as future plans. The Cambridges, accompanied by the Princess Royal in the charge of Lady Dorothy Wentworth, left Windsor Castle for London. There they would spend a night at Cambridge House and the following day, joined by the Dowager Duchess of Clarence, they would travel to Harwich to board the Royal Yacht for their journey to Germany. The King and Queen’s stoic approach to bidding their daughter farewell could not fail to impress. They did not shed a tear, insisting that any displays of sorrow might upset Missy and distress her. So it was that they watched the parade of carriages leave Windsor and rattle through the George IV Gate, carrying their daughter away for her new life at Bautzen. The moment the coaches disappeared from sight, the Queen fell to her knees and let out a painful scream. The King rushed to her aid, now openly weeping himself. Charlie Phipps and the Duchess of Sutherland assisted George in getting Louise safely to her bed. Sutherland said of the incident; “I had never before seen the Queen so desperately wounded, so utterly tormented. Dr Allison came and prescribed a sleeping draught, after which Her Majesty slept soundly”.

For the next week, a pall of sadness drew itself over Windsor. The King waited anxiously for news that his daughter had arrived on the continent safely, whilst his wife entered her confinement, ate alone in her room and slept as much as possible to hide from the agonizing reality of what had just occurred. When he could bear it no longer, the King made his way on foot to Fort Belvedere where he tried to enjoy the company of Prince Alexander. But Alexander had become churlish and unpleasant company. When he was not drunk, he was suffering from terrible hangovers that left him riddled with anxiety and self-loathing. He was hardly the company George needed at such a difficult time. When George made his way to the Fort for dinner one evening, Frau Wiedl gave her apologies. Alexander had passed out cold after yet another binge. The King made to leave but then hesitated; “I wonder if I might impose and take supper with you then Frau Wiedl?”, he said sadly, “I simply cannot bear to go back to my study tonight”. The pair ate together, Frau Wiedl trying her best to raise the King’s spirits by playing some of his favourite tunes on the piano when their meal was over. George found himself smiling. And so it was that this tête-á- tête was repeated the next evening. And the next.

There was a brief moment of hope on January the 13th when word came from Germany. Sadly, it was not from the Duke of Cambridge. Rather it was a letter from Bad Homburg; the King’s aunt Elizabeth had died on the same day the Cambridges had left England. As Princess Mary had predicted, the Duke was too late to catch Elizabeth’s final hours and by the time he reached Hanover, the Hesse-Homburgs had held a funeral service for his sister and interred her coffin beside that of her husband Frederick VI at the Mausoleum of the Landgraves. George had never really known his aunt but perhaps inspired by the sober mood of the day, he insisted that 14 days of court mourning be observed and there was a memorial service for the Princess at St George’s Chapel, Windsor which was held in the evening of the 15th of January. It was attended by the Princesses Mary and Sophia. The Sussexes had returned to London and Princess Augusta was too ill to leave Frogmore. The Queen was represented by the Duchess of Sutherland.

All seemed to be doom and gloom and not at all the bright start to the new decade the King had hoped for. Then, on Friday the 31st of January, the King invited some of his closest friends to Windsor for a hunting weekend. The Duchess of Sutherland thought this quite disrespectful given the circumstances, but Dr Allison chided her; “There is nothing wrong with Her Majesty that the first sight of her baby will not cure, and it’ll do the King some good to be out in the field”. Those in attendance included Prince Alexander (in a rare few days of sobriety), Lord Melbury and Henry Glazebrook, Melbury’s financial advisor. The King wanted an outside opinion on Burton’s plans for the Regent’s Park development and Glazebrook was invited to Windsor solely for the purpose of casting an eye over the designs and offering a frank assessment of the economics of the project. It was whilst George was showing Melbury and Glazebrook the Burton plans in his study that a beaming Charlie Phipps arrived with an urgent message from The Hague. Princess Victoria had given birth.

Princess Victoria Paulina of the Netherlands was born on the 24th of January 1840, the first child to be born to Prince William and his wife Victoria. The little Princess’ arrival raised eyebrows both with regard to her name and to her sex. The Prince wished to name her Wilhelmina in honour of his ailing grandfather King William I but his wife put her foot down. Her daughter would be named after her mother and grandmother. Fortunately, the Prince was not in one of his more capricious moods and gave in, but he insisted that the second name of his new-born daughter honour her Dutch relations. Still somewhat stubborn, Victoria discounted Wilhelmina entirely and (avoiding any real connections to the House of Orange) selected Paulina in honour of the baby’s paternal great-grandfather, Emperor Paul I of Russia. Many expected William to be angry that his first born child was not a son. Yet he was delighted with his daughter and refused to hear mention of the fact that his wife had failed to produce a fine prince instead.

Duchess_of_Kent_and_Victoria_by_Henry_Bone1.jpg

The Henry Bone portrait of the two Victorias given to Princess Victoria of the Netherlands (née Kent) in 1840 by George V.

King George and Queen Louise were invited to serve as godparents to Victoria Paulina (known as Linna within the family) with Prince Alexander of the Netherlands standing proxy for the King and Victoria’s sister-in-law Princess Sophie standing proxy for the Queen. King George responded to the message with an unusual gift; he ordered Phipps to find a portrait of Princess Victoria with her mother and dispatch it to The Hague. Victoria had grown up with every picture of her mother, the late Duchess of Kent, hidden from her and when she received the Henry Bone portrait which showed the Duchess and her infant daughter together, she wept tears of joy. It would forever find a home in Victoria’s bedroom, and it is said that when she died in 1901, she looked up to the portrait and said softly, “Dearest Mama” before she breathed her last.

In the first week of February 1840, parliament was prorogued ahead of the March general election. George was in a much happier mood, buoyed by the good news from the Netherlands and anxiously awaiting the arrival of his son. Dr Allison predicted that it would not be too long before the little one made his appearance and the King, eager for his child to do so, did not stray too far from the castle so that he might be called the moment Queen Louise started her labour. For the most part, he spent his time studying the Burton plans (which Glazebrook believed were financially sound, though he warned that the end result might not return a profit for some time and would only ‘wipe it’s face’ for the first ten years). Supper was taken in his study alone, except for two occasions when he was joined at the castle by Prince Alexander and Frau Wiedl.

Suddenly, these quiet hours were disrupted when Dr Allison informed His Majesty that he should summon the various VIPs who had to be on hand to witness the royal birth; these included the Archbishop of Canterbury (or York, whichever was easiest to track down), the Home Secretary, the Lord President of the Council, the Lord Chancellor and other establishment figures who came to regard such a formality as a good excuse to enjoy royal hospitality. They could expect three or four days of the very best food from the royal kitchens (not to mention the same quality in wines from the royal cellars) and often those who took part in this ancient ritual were disappointed when the baby arrived, and their weekend of gluttony was ended.

For those who assembled to witness this royal birth, their revels were to be cut even shorter. The Queen began her labour around 8.30pm on the 16th of February. By 2am, the Queen’s bedroom in the private apartments was filled with the screams of a very healthy baby girl. The King was waiting anxiously for news. In the back of his mind, he could not shrug the nagging worry that there might be a complication as there had been during Missy’s birth. But his worries were quickly eased by Dr Allison; the Queen and her baby (weighing 8lbs 3oz) were in the very best of health. The King stepped into his wife’s bedroom, kissing Louise tenderly on the forehead and taking his daughter in his arms from the Duchess of Sutherland. The Queen looked nervous; “I had so hoped I would give you a son this time Georgie”, she said softly. The King smiled at his wife. He was disappointed not to be cradling a little Duke of Cornwall in his arms but one look at his daughter’s face and any sentiments of that nature dissipated; “She is a fine little girl. And as beautiful as her mother”.

Content though the King was, he had been so certain that he would have a son this time around that he hadn’t considered names for a daughter. But the Queen had. George had taken the lead when Missy was born and so this time, he bowed to his wife’s preferences. Not that the Queen had chosen anything particularly unexpected, indeed, she looked to the King’s own family and not her own. The little girl was given the names Victoria Mary Charlotte Elizabeth; Victoria in honour of Princess Victoria of the Netherlands, Mary in honour of the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh, Charlotte in honour of the King’s sister and Elizabeth as a tribute to the recently deceased Dowager Landgravine of Hesse-Homburg. Princess Victoria would be known as Toria. Her godparents were Princess Victoria of the Netherlands, Princess Mary, Dowager Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh and Princess Augusta of Cambridge, the Duke of Sussex (a typically kind-hearted gesture from the conciliatory Queen), the Queen’s brother Hereditary Grand Duke Frederick William of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Prince Alexander of Prussia. The King approved, though he wondered how on earth he would get his aunt Mary to the christening in the presence of his Uncle Sussex.

648230-1480694321.jpg

Prince Alexander of Prussia.

The news of the royal birth was received with muted happiness in England. Whilst most were to be considered “the new royalists” described by Charles Greville, it was difficult to feel too much joy when the vast majority were facing so many problems of their own. With this in mind, the King ordered that special gift boxes ranging from £5 - £15 be sent out to all collegiate churches in the country to serve as poor relief. This gesture was a kind and well-intentioned one but sadly, unscrupulous clergy opted not to use the King’s gift immediately and simply added it to the overall fund for the year (with the result that many gift boxes went straight into the pocket of the parish councillors). Nonetheless, the usual messages of congratulation poured in and the King and Queen were relieved when Dr Allison confirmed that little Toria was healthy in every way with no trace of any difficulties. For a brief moment, the Queen especially had feared that Missy’s deafness may be hereditary and might show itself again in their second child.

As soon as she could leave her bed, the Queen asked the Duchess of Sutherland to help her cast Princess Victoria’s hand in plaster. The sleeping princess had her right hand dipped into a bowl of gypsum (ironically the Princess would grow up to be left-handed) and the result was placed on the Queen’s dresser in her bedroom. A second cast was taken to be dispatched to Missy in Bautzen. It was accompanied by a note from Queen Louise; “For my darling elder sister whom I shall love and cherish always”. Louise could allow herself to be happy despite wishing the Princess Royal was with her parents to see the new arrival. Yet she could also allow a moment of relief that she had “done her duty”. Whilst she may not have provided a son and heir, she had produced two daughters. The Line of Succession to the British throne was secure for another generation.

The King too refused to be glum. He celebrated his daughter’s birth with a glass of champagne, a rare break in his abstinence from alcohol. As the Queen slept, the King sat in his study with Prince Alexander and Frau Wiedl, the latter congratulating the King on the latest addition to his family.

“I’d have liked a boy”, the King replied smiling, “But it appears I am destined to be surrounded by women. And very beautiful ones at that”.

He drained his glass and bid his friends goodnight, sleeping soundly in his bed for the first time since Missy had left for Germany.

[1] Bolin was the favourite court jeweller in St Petersburg, and he specialised in multi-purpose jewels which could be worn two or three ways. I suppose when you’re buying gems as big as plover’s eggs, you want to be able to show them off in many varieties!

[2] Cecilia was already Duchess of Inverness but here she is the “new” Duchess of Sussex in addition to her previous title.

[3] See Appendix I in Threadmarks.

Note

The next instalment is written and ready to go and it's that one which contains our set-up for the Palace of Westminster poll. Apologies to those who expected it in this one as promised (a calendar mix up on my part) but you won't have long to wait!

Really great chapter!
I’m sad Missy’s gone but with a new dog and a baby girl, I think that things are looking up.
Also, I’m afraid that George might have an affair with Rosalind.

Last edited:
GV: Part Two, Chapter 16: Counting Chickens
King George V

Part Two, Chapter Sixteen: Counting Chickens

The Whig election campaign did not get off to the best start possible. To begin with, Lord Cottenham caught a cold and so the entire Whig platform had to be set by Edward Stanley on his behalf with most MPs already on their way to their constituencies with no briefing as to the kind of thing their speeches should contain. To add to their woes, the Tory press began running daily interviews with widows of troops lost at Bala Hissar and with working men who had lost their jobs or faced starvation. In one newspaper, a column appeared entitled ‘Woes of the Whigs’ and kept people up to date with the latest campaign news.

It was hardly edifying political journalism. The ‘Woes’ reported included news that Sir George Strickland, the Whig MP for the West Riding of Yorkshire, had decided to stand in Preston instead; unfortunately, he entrusted the first leg of his journey to the newly created York and North Midland Railway and ended up stuck in a siding overnight missing the first hustings. Another Whig MP, William Marshall, Member for Carlisle, had been pelted with mud during his hustings and when the local magistrate asked why Mr Ernest Willis had done so, Willis replied, “I’d have thrown flour Sir, but none of us have any”.

By contrast, the Tories were enjoying a promising start to their campaign. They were committed to upholding the Corn Laws, but Sir James Graham promised to introduce a mechanism to impose a sliding scale of import duties based on the overall value of goods which would make wheat, corn and other grains more affordable. This was exactly what the Whigs were about to do before Cottenham called a general election and now, Graham took the initiative and the credit. In areas where the workhouses had become full, Graham committed the government to introduce programmes of work for the unemployed and he pledged to release more money from the Civil Contingencies Fund for areas badly affected by food shortages. His message was clear; the Whigs had overspent and had been distracted by Palmerston’s foreign adventures and Russell’s liberal values. Britain must get back on her feet through hard work and self-reliance, but he conceded that the government had a role to play in helping people along a little to “get over the worst of the Whigs”.

Jamesgrantham.png

Sir James Graham.

That is not to say that Graham had no challenges of his own to face. Though he wanted to fight the election on domestic issues, many demanded to know what Graham would do in relation to the new problems posed by China and the existing power vacuum in Afghanistan. His answer was simple; the Opium trade was to be abhorred (he stopped short of promising to abolish it) and China had every right to stop the import of such a dangerous drug into her ports. Palmerston had promised a war to assert British interests, Graham refused to countenance another expensive foreign policy mistake. He would send a delegation to China to see the Emperor personally and resolve the crisis by treaty, not gunboat.

On Afghanistan, he had been invited to attend the upcoming Brighton Conference at the end of the month and whilst there, he would make it abundantly clear to the Russian delegates that the British would no longer tolerate aggression in British India and that an agreement must be concluded on Afghanistan to prevent any further loss of life (and expense to the Treasury). The relationship with Russia must be “repaired in an atmosphere of trust and goodwill”, he said, “Moving away from the sabre-rattling policies of Lord Palmerston and back to an age of treaties and agreements which press the British interest but do not inflame the United Kingdom’s rivals to act in such a way which forces us to protect those interests with military action”.

The latter pledge was a little optimistic. Lord Cottenham and his ministers would still be in office when the Brighton Conference was held, and Cottenham had only invited Graham as a courtesy. The government may well change in March but until then, it was Lords Melbury and Granville who would lead the British delegation at Brighton. Graham would be there only in his capacity as an interested observer. This was taken up by the Unionists, the biggest challenge to the Tory campaign. However persuasive Graham might be, the Unionists threatened to split the vote and let the Whigs back in with a reduced majority. But the Unionists were still using old tactics to gain support. They insisted that Cottenham would resign the moment the Whigs had a majority, and that Russell would waltz into Downing Street with a raft of policies that would prove nothing short of an attack on the Crown, Parliament and the Church. They said nothing on the food shortages other than blaming the Whigs for imposing harsher restrictions on landlords which had forced estates to raise rents and ultimately, evict tenants.

When it came to the Tories, some Unionists in Whig/Tory marginals hinted that their supporters should “weigh the balance”. It should be remembered that the vast majority of Unionists were former Tories, and, in their view, the Whigs had a safety net in the Repeal Association which could only be undone if the Whigs were crushed at the polls in significant numbers. One Unionist candidate was deselected mid-campaign for publishing a leaflet which told the electorate in his constituency that a vote for the Tories was still a vote for the Unionists as both parties shared the same anti-Whig views. Graham cheerfully remarked; “The Unionists are the best asset we have in acquiring Whig seats” and Lord Winchelsea privately urged his party grandees to cough up more money to circulate copies of a new magazine called The Unionist to repair the damage done by his own prospective parliamentary candidates. The pamphlet lasted just three weeks and was quickly shut down when it’s second edition saw the Unionists threatened with legal action for suggesting one Whig MP was a drunkard and that a Tory MP was about to divorce his wife.

At Buckingham Palace, the King continued to meet with Lord Cottenham. Both knew that regardless of the outcome, the Prime Minister’s days in office were numbered and so these meetings were more general in their scope, Cottenham now unable to offer any long-term commitments. The King apologised that he could not invite the Prime Minister to the christening of Princess Victoria in the first week of March; for Cottenham to be seen in the royal presence so close to polling day was unthinkable. This left the King and the Prime Minister only one issue to focus on: Russia. With the Brighton Conference looming ever closer, Lord Melbury had kept the King well informed of what the government intended to propose to the Russian delegation. But George was more concerned at the Russian proposal his sister may be about to receive. If she was right and if the Tsarevich did ask for her hand in marriage at Brighton, the King faced an extremely difficult situation. Whilst the government could not withhold consent for such a marriage, it could still raise objections.

When they had discussed Princess Charlotte Louise’s possible marriage to the Tsarevich before, Cottenham had spoken of Cabinet concerns. Now, George and Cottenham revisited those objections but this time the King was better prepared. He acknowledged that the concerns of Cottenham’s ministry were valid, though before he had disapproved of the way in which they were raised. That being said, the King was not prepared to entertain Lord Cottenham’s suggestion that parliament might introduce a bill which would allow members of the Royal Family to renounce their succession rights. In his view, this would give parliament an authority to involve itself in matters concerning the marriages of the Royal Family (and the succession) which George insisted would set a dangerous precedent; “How long before pressure is applied in parliament to force members of my family to make use of such a bill, simply because parliament does not approve of their marriage whilst the King does?”. Lord Cottenham had not been entirely thorough in his proposal for such a bill, but he agreed with the King that this would be a most unfortunate consequence.

The birth of Princess Victoria had lessened concerns regarding the line of succession. Whilst it was still entirely possible that Princess Charlotte Louise might succeed her brother one day, the possibility looked to be a very remote one.

“If a guarantee were still demanded”, Cottenham reasoned, “I do have another suggestion which Your Majesty may wish to consider”. The King lit a cigarette and took a paper from the Prime Minister. At the top, it read; “Amendment to the Act of Settlement”.

“The Act of Settlement?”

“Yes Sir”, Cottenham explained, “Passed in 1701 to settle the succession to the Crown on Protestants only. It deposed the descendants of Charles I with the exception of Queen Anne and which eventually settled the throne upon Your Majesty’s ancestress, the Electress Sophia of Hanover”

George muffled a sigh.

“Yes, I know all that Prime Minister”, he said tersely, “But what has that got to do with my sister’s marriage?”

Cottenham drew a breath and affixed his pince-nez, looking down at his notes as he put forward his “guarantee”.

“You see Your Majesty”, he began, “The Act of Settlement barred Roman Catholics from the throne. And any prince who married a Catholic was also barred. The concept of course was to uphold Protestantism as the state religion in the person of the Sovereign who is also Supreme Governor of the Church of England. As a man of the law Sir, I would interpret the Act of Settlement as having two distinct consequences; the first being that the succession was settled on the non-Catholic heirs of the Electress Sophia but the second being that the Sovereign must be a member of the Anglican communion”

410px-Electress_Sophia%2C_Princess_Palatine.jpg

Electress Sophia of Hanover.

“I don’t follow Cottenham…”

“Well Sir, when you acceded you became the reigning monarch and by definition the Supreme Governor of the Church of England. By taking the coronation oath, you have accepted all conditions attached to it by statute. And that translates, in my humble opinion, to a pledge that Your Majesty will uphold the Anglican communion as the State Church and as Your Majesty’s practised faith. The Sovereign must therefore, again, in my humble opinion Sir, be a member of the Anglican communion. Her Royal Highness, and by default, her children, will not be members of that communion as the Princess will be required to convert to Orthodoxy if she marries the Tsarevich of Russia. Were the Princess to find herself first in line, I believe that is how the Act of Settlement would be interpreted and applied. In short Sir, the Princess could not be crowned unless she reverted to the Anglican faith, neither could any of her children. Thus, personal union between the Crowns of Britain and Russia is impossible”

The King took in Cottenham’s words. He had great respect for the Prime Minister’s legal background and what he said rang true. [1]

“We are placing great store in an anomaly Sir but great legal precedents have been set on such irregularities and if my party were in office if the situation presented itself as described, I would offer Your Majesty some reassurance that if the interpretation was not enough in and of itself, the government would, and I believe I speak for the Tories as well Sir, introduce an amendment to the Act of Settlement which corrected that anomaly and made the position clear without impinging on the rights of the Sovereign to consent to marriages within His Majesty’s family”.

Yet there were still the political objections to consider. Even those who expressed concerns about a possible succession crisis still maintained that such a marriage would lead Britain into an alliance with Russia which no British government could accept, whether Whig or Tory. This was not so easily solved. The King made it clear that he intended to speak with the Tsarevich personally (if he did indeed propose at Brighton) that he could only give his consent if it was made abundantly plain to the Tsar and his ministers that this would be a marriage with none of the usual political obligations which usually featured in royal marriage contracts of the day. This would not be a union between two great Empires; indeed, it would be expressed in the bluntest terms possible that Britain and Russia would continue to follow their respective foreign policies - even when that meant the two nations found themselves opposed to each other. The conference at Brighton aimed to bring those foreign policies into a form of mutual agreement where Asia was concerned but both now and, in the future, Russia could not rely on Britain’s support in military conflicts (or even in every day diplomatic relations) simply because their future Empress was the sister of the British Sovereign. “Politics are to be left to the politicians”, George told Cottenham, “If the Russians will not accept that then I am minded to withhold my consent until they do”.

The Prime Minister nodded his agreement; “Of course Sir, not every royal marriage is political in nature. And I am appreciate of Your Majesty’s reassurance on this point which I believe is a very sound and sensible view to take. I only hope the Russians can appreciate it too. But I must ask Sir…do you really believe the Princess will be happy in Russia? I hope Your Majesty will not consider me intrusive, but I am fond of the Princess, as are we all in Cabinet, indeed we wish her every happiness. But I cannot believe she will truly find her happiness in St Petersburg”

This worry had crossed the King’s mind too. After all, what did his sister really know of life in Russia? Could she ever truly accept and embrace her new country, her new family and her new religion when all three were so different to what she had experienced in her homeland? The King was determined to make the Princess think seriously about accepting the Tsarevich not because he wished to dissuade her in any way but rather because he feared she may be trying to grasp her first real chance of happiness since her disappointment over Prince Albert. Such a kneejerk reaction might well lead to her a life of misery. That said, if the Princess really was sure, the King was determined to give her what she wanted. He would fight tooth and nail to prove to the naysayers that her marriage would not lead to catastrophe…but only if he believed she was sincere in her feelings. It was Cottenham who offered a solution.

“I have taken an interest in this matter Your Majesty”, he said kindly, “And if I may…has Her Royal Highness actually met with any Russian who isn’t connected to the Imperial Family? I’m not speaking of Count Medem or the like. Rather, someone who could give her a more subjective view of the country?”

The King laughed, lighting another cigarette, “As unusual as it may seem Prime Minister, we do not often entertain Russian peasants here at the Palace”

“No Sir”, Cottenham said, not quite catching the King’s joke, “Now as I recall, there used to be an Orthodox congregation in Greek Street – hence the name. Their church was confiscated for some reason or other, but I understand they moved to the Russian Embassy in Chesham Place. I’m sure you’d find a Russian émigré or two there Sir” [2]

George thanked Cottenham for his advice. It was an absurd idea. Or was it? When the Prime Minister had kissed the King’s hand and left his study, the King called Charlie Phipps into the room. The King’s Private Secretary was quite used to unexpected requests but this one seem more unexpected than most. The King asked Phipps to go along to the Russian Embassy on Sunday afternoon (“One assumes they worship on Sundays like the rest of us”) and to see if he could find an Orthodox Russian who spoke good English and who was “respectable” enough to bring back to the Palace to be introduced to Princess Charlotte Louise before she headed to Brighton. Phipps agreed. And then immediately wondered what constituted a “respectable Russian”.

360px-LORD_JOHN_RUSSELL_-_37_Chesham_Place_Belgravia_London_SW1X_6HB.jpg

Chesham Place and the building which once housed the Imperial Russian Embassy in London.

In the meantime, the King had an audience with Sir James Graham. It was quite usual during general election campaigns (which at this time could last as long as three months) for the Sovereign to meet with the Leader of the Opposition at regular intervals. This was entirely practical, as though the monarch would no doubt be familiar with them, Prime Ministers enjoyed spending far more time with the monarch than they do today in a social capacity. It was considered that these meetings helped to put the Leader of the Opposition at his ease; and for those who had once served as Prime Minister and been ousted, there was the cushion of still remaining within the royal inner circle until such a time as it seemed prudent to ditch them entirely from the Buckingham Palace guestlist. George expected Graham to brief him on the Tory election campaign. Or to discuss his ambitions to put right the food crisis or to put down further uprisings in the North of England, or in Wales. But he didn’t.

Instead, Graham asked the King if he might be so kind as to introduce Sir James to Decimus Burton. It was not for himself of course; Graham had no vision of building a grand country house or London villa. Rather, he intended to revisit something in the first few days of his premiership (Graham being a great one for counting his chickens before they hatched) which needed urgent resolution. During the Great Thames Flood, the foundations of the new Palace of Westminster (and the scaffold) had been badly damaged. Worryingly, the foundations which had been laid were fashioned from Magnesian Limestone from the Anston quarry of the Duke of Leeds. [3] The stone had been hurriedly quarried and was badly handled. When the water was pumped from the foundation, the limestone foundation appeared to be covered in thick green slime and was badly pockmarked from the debris that had swamped it. Graham believed it prudent to return to the design stage and ask whether Melbourne’s preference was in fact the right choice before the foundations were replaced.

Graham was being a little disingenuous. In fact, he had two reasons for wishing to address the situation at the Palace site. Firstly, there was the spectacle of the thing. Graham would be able to announce in his first few days that it was a new decade and a new political era, something which should be commemorated with a new parliament that wasn’t mired in Gothic brown stone. He also saw an opportunity to slash the budget in light of the Great Thames Flood earning a little public goodwill from Londoners. But his main objective was entirely political. The Tories had disliked the Barry and Pugin design and there were claims of cheating and fraud during the selection process. Here was a chance to kick the Whigs when they were down. Indeed, during a hustings speech, Graham pledged to rebuild the palace of Westminster at a reduced cost "free of Whig corruption". In this, he was referring to the fall out from the “competition” held to find a new design. Of the 97 entrants, 34 complained that Barry and Pugin had cheated.

Their evidence was to be found in the corner of the Barry and Pugin design; both men had signed it. This was quite usual, except the competition rules which regulated the submission of designs made it clear that each entry was to be marked with a pseudonym or symbol which could later be used to identify the architect responsible for the winning design from a list held by the Speaker of the House of Commons. In the view of those who had not been successful, Barry and Pugin had broken this rule and should therefore be disqualified, and their design scrapped. Their petitions to parliament were ignored – Melbourne liked the Barry/Pugin design and that was the design the Royal Commission (comprised mostly of Whigs) plumped for. But the Tories were not so keen. Whilst a handful (such as Sir Robert Peel, a close friend of Barry) were in favour, most objected not so much because of the “victory of the Gothicists” but rather because they felt the process was “crooked and corrupt”. They wanted to re-open the commission.

Graham knew that the first few months of his premiership might not be easy. He needed a distraction. He found one in the design for the new Palace of Westminster. In his defence, it was an urgent matter. Parliament had been without a proper functioning home for 6 years. The budget for the Barry and Pugin design was predicted to spiral beyond the £700,000 allocated and the Great Thames Flood had set the building work backward by an estimated 14 months. But it is more likely that Graham felt a debate on the future look of the new palace of Westminster would catch the imagination of MPs and Peers of all political persuasions, giving him ample time to assemble his Cabinet and fix a list of priorities without every decision being scrutinised too closely in the Commons and Lords. And the Lords would feature very prominently on that list of priorities.

In 1832, Earl Grey had convinced the Duke of Clarence to create 76 new Whig peers to break the political stalemate following the Days of May crisis [4]. Graham might well win a majority in the Commons, but the Whig-heavy Lords would throw each and every bill into the rubbish bin the moment it crossed the despatch box. Graham would have no choice but to ask the King to “balance the Lords”, something which was likely to be controversial and unpopular. It was far better that politicians of both houses of parliament should preoccupied looking elsewhere when the inevitable happened. Sir James had peaked the King’s interest with his mention of Burton. Suddenly their meeting was derailed when George lost focus and brought out the plans for the Regent’s Park redevelopment. “Of course, these will be laid before Cabinet for their approval”, George said, waving a hand over the blueprints.

“But Sir, you do not require Cabinet approval for this project”, Graham replied, quite sincerely.

“No but I should welcome it just the same”, said the King, “I shan’t be accused of being extravagant. When the time comes, if there is opposition in parliament, I want it to be said honestly, truthfully, that my government has faith in these plans and that it has approved the way the project shall be funded”

Naturally, he agreed to put Graham in touch with Decimus Burton to discuss the issue of the new Palace of Westminster. But Sir James was cunning. For as long as his audience with the King remained on what Graham’s priorities would be in his first 100 days in office (if he won the election), there was a risk that they might stray into controversial territory; the Tory approach to the Corn Laws, China, Afghanistan…the House of Lords. It was far better to leave things vague and to distract the King temporarily. Graham was not due to meet the King again until after the general election; when he left Buckingham Palace, the King sang his praises to Charlie Phipps; “He really was very interested in these plans you know Charlie”, he said happily, “I think that shows great vision, what?”

Phipps wisely agreed. Besides, he had more pressing matters to discuss with His Majesty. He had carried out his errand to the Imperial Russian Embassy (not an easy feat) and had returned with a name for the King; a so-called “respectable Russian”. They did not come more respectable than Mother Barbara Shishkina, a Russian-born Orthodox nun who had travelled to England with the hope of founding an Orthodox convent. Unfortunately, she had overestimated the requirement for such an establishment and had since found herself as the housekeeper of the Russian Embassy in Chesham Place. She was happy to remain so because this gave her unrestricted access to the Orthodox Chapel which she found an appropriate place to wait until God gave her another sign. Mother Barbara was renowned at the Embassy for capturing wealthy Russian aristocrats visiting Belgravia and pleading her case in the hope that they might donate generously to her convent fund. Few did. She was somewhat taken aback to be approached by the smart gentleman who explained that he had questions about Russia and the Orthodox faith. At first, she told him to go and speak to a priest but then she noticed his signet ring and tie pin. This was a man of means.

ilya-repin-a-nun-1878-e1269653909173.jpg

Mother Barbara Shishkina, painted c. 1841/2

On the following Tuesday afternoon, the King invited himself to Marlborough House for tea. Princess Charlotte Louise had yet to formally take up residence there, but she was spending much of her time (distracting herself from the possibility of Sasha’s impending proposal of marriage) by touring the property and seeing which things she might like to change. The first casualty was a vast portrait of her mother which still loomed large from above the fireplace in the dining room. When asked where she would like the portrait to be stored, the Princess replied, “Throw it into the fireplace below for all I care”. Her new Private Secretary, Sir John Reith, thought better of carrying out her orders and sent it to Windsor instead where it was hidden away in a cellar room covered only by a thick dust sheet. The portrait was eventually rediscovered in 1958 and is now on display in the picture gallery at Buckingham Palace.

Princess Charlotte Louise was excited to see her brother, having just received news that the Tsarevich would arrive at Southampton bound for Brighton in just a few days. She would leave London the moment she heard he had docked. Only the King didn’t arrive at Marlborough House that day; Charlie Phipps did. He extended the King’s apologies to the Princess and asked if she might receive the other guests the King had invited to join them regardless of his absence. Somewhat taken aback, the Princess agreed and was even more surprised when two women dressed in black robes and long veils shuffled into her presence. They curtseyed deeply and then rushed forward, dropping to their knees and kissing the Princess’ hands. Charlotte Louise looked startled as Phipps offered an introduction instead of an explanation; “May I present Mother Barbara and Sister Anna from the Imperial Russian Embassy, Ma’am”.

Charlotte Louise was about to get a small glimpse of what her future might hold.

[1] This anomaly was actually addressed during the OTL revisions made in the Succession to the Crown Act 2013. Cottenham is interpreting the Act of Settlement much as it was in recent years; whilst the Act at this point in TTL clearly states that no person who “holds Communion with the See or Church of Rome or [professes] the Popish Religion or shall marry a papist” can be King, it doesn’t stress that the Sovereign must be an Anglican…except it makes it impossible for him not to be. Technically Princess Charlotte Louise could succeed her brother as an Orthodox Christian – but she could not be Crowned. That’s what Cottenham is relying on here in his advice to the King.

[2] In fact, the Greek Orthodox Church at what is now Greek Street was confiscated in 1684 because of a court case in which the manservant of the founding Archbishop (of Samos, Joseph Georgerines) accused him of being “a Popish plotter”. The court upheld the complaint, and the church was handed over to Huguenot refugees from France. Thereafter, the Eastern Orthodox community (both Greek and Russian) worshipped at the Imperial Russian Embassy which in 1840 was still located at Chesham Place in Belgravia.

[3] This was actually a concern in the OTL, but it was overlooked. By 1849, there was a great deal of “I told you so” when much of the stonework showed signs of extreme weather damage. We’ve got an excuse to ramp this up here with the aftermath of the Great Thames Flood. It’s also true that in the OTL, many Tories opposed the new palace design because they saw it as a convenient excuse to have a bash at Lord Melbourne. But Melbourne stayed in place until 1841 in the OTL and therefore, their complaints were ignored. Not so here.

[4] See: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-british-monarchy.514810/page-9#post-22599916

GV: Part Two, Appendix II: The Palace of Westminster
Appendix II: The Palace of Westminster

Following his audience with King George V in February 1840, Sir James Graham asked his personal private secretary, Theodore Williams, to gather information on the Royal Commission which had approved the Barry and Pugin design for the new Palace of Westminster. If elected, Graham only wished to provide a distraction; he did not wish to derail the project entirely. Rather than re-open the competition which had been held to find a new design, or recall the Commission, which was mostly led by Whigs anyway, Graham intended to appoint a cross-party committee to consider whether the Barry and Pugin design should be retained. But to tempt the committee to choosing a less expensive design (thereby allowing Graham to boast he had made a substantial saving to the enormous £700,000 budget allowed by parliament), he decided to put two alternatives before them.

Alongside the Barry and Pugin design, Graham would ask the committee to consider whether the designs which had placed 2nd or 3rd in the ballot following the competition might prove better options. The first alternative belonged to Thomas Hopper. Hopper was a prominent English architect who had enjoyed royal patronage during the lifetime of the Prince Regent and the reign of George IV. He had made improvements to the Shire Hall in Monmouth and had contributed to the refurbishment of Windsor Castle. The second alternative belonged to William Kent. Kent was an 18th century architect and a great favourite of King George II. He built the Royal Mews (which were replaced in 1834), the Royal State Barge and Horse Guards as well as making additions to Hampton Court Palace, Kensington Palace and the former Treasury building at Whitehall. Kent died in 1748 but he left behind many plans for incomplete works. One of these works had been taken up by none other than James Burton who proposed a slightly modified version of a design for a new parliament building Kent had designed in 1738. James Burton was the father of Decimus Burton.

The three designs were to be put to a cross party committee as follows…

The Barry and Pugin Design

2.jpg

It remains unclear just how much of this design belonged to Barry and how much was actually the achievement of his young apprentice, Augustus Pugin. Both men were passionate about the Gothic Revival sweeping Britain but Barry lacked inspiration for his palace design; he therefore went abroad, to Belgium, seeking influence from Flemish civic architecture. The plan was to create an enfilade which would allow the Speaker of the House of Commons to sit in his chair and look through the line of the building to the throne in the House of Lords. There were to be 1,180 rooms with 126 staircases, 2 miles of corridors and 11 courtyards. In addition, there would be residences constructed within the palace complex to offer accommodation to 200 people, most notably the Speaker who was to gain a new “cottage” comprised of some 26 rooms.

Pugin’s contributions cannot be overlooked. It was Pugin who designed the central hall which would allow access to both chambers and the long corridor which provided access to a suite of libraries, committee rooms, refreshment rooms and outer courtyards which aimed to give as much comfort to the inhabitants of the palace as possible in their working day. When told that their design was “too much like a Cathedral” by those opposed to it, Pugin replied; “Is democracy not sacred Sir?”. It was a poignant response, but it did little to silence the critics. Some asked why an ugly brownstone Gothic building was to be placed by the Thames when all around it, fresh and modern Neoclassical buildings were popping up to create a bright city space in Portland Stone. Nonetheless, Barry and Pugin won the competition and with Lord Melbourne’s backing, were commissioned to begin their work in 1838 at a cost of £700,000. Some estimates were put higher when Barry insisted on making additions to the design in the summer of 1839.

The riverside front of the building was already in construction and the scaffold erected for the laying of other foundations when the Great Thames Flood hit in the Winter of 1839. What had been built was swept away and there were serious concerns that the stone Barry had personally selected was of poor quality. In the ensuing argument over a return to the design stage, one Tory MP who loathed the design went so far as to bring a piece of Magnesian Limestone from the Duke of Leeds’ quarry at Anston from the building site outside and place it on the desk before them. He brought down a hammer on the limestone which shattered into pieces. If Barry and Pugin were allowed to continue, he argued that the whole palace complex would crumble within a century…

The Thomas Hopper Design

1658.jpg

Thomas Hopper had been one of those who complained about the process used to select the design for the new palace of Westminster. He petitioned parliament but was ignored and later threatened with a libel case when he publicly stated that he believed Barry and Pugin had cheated their way to victory. Hopper withdrew his claim but fumed on in private, arguing with friends in parliament that the competition should be rerun. When he heard that Graham had it in mind to revisit the selection process, he supplied fresh copies of the design he had proposed which saw him come in second. Like Barry and Pugin, Hopper was a gothicist and he had enjoyed many years of royal patronage. Indeed, his design for the new parliament building was dedicated to the Duke of Sussex.

In 1840, Hopper was working on designs for Butterton Hall in Staffordshire, the prints of which were to be exhibited at the Royal Academy. Hopper had convinced his commissioners (the Pilkington family who also owned Chevet Hall) that they should follow the fashions of the day and in stark contrast to the Palladian majesty of Chevet, they should instead embrace the Gothic Revival. But Hopper was not biased. Indeed, he believed that “It is the business of an architect to understand all styles and be prejudiced in favour of none”. That said, he applied Gothicism to his design for the new parliament building which has since been taken as evidence of his preferences.

Hopper’s design was perhaps the most ambitious in that he wished first to embark on a process of restoration. He wanted to return St Stephen’s Chapel to its former glory as a home for the House of Commons and then duplicate it for the House of Lords. But that wasn’t all. Hopper also wished to duplicate Westminster Hall in New Palace Yard with each of the “two halls” topped off with Fonthill-style towers. The result would be a gigantic riverside palace which drew inspiration from the neighbouring Westminster Abbey more than it did Buckingham Palace. Those who opposed Hopper’s designs considered them far too extravagant and costly; Hopper insisted that he could bring the whole thing in under budget, others estimated that the budget would need to be doubled to make Hopper’s palace a reality. With its vast vaulted ceilings, chapels, courtyards and over 2,000 rooms, Thomas Hopper stood by every brick and plank in his design. But he was also realistic. He advised that his dream palace would take nearly 25 years to be completed, if not more. And he could not even begin to contemplate any actual building until the restoration of St Stephen’s and Westminster Hall was finished…

The Kent Burton Design

william-kent-parliament-2.jpg

William Kent had been a favourite of King George V’s personal hero (and ancestor) King George II. It was George II who (with support from the United Kingdom’s first Prime Minister, Robert Walpole) wished to herald a new era with a wholesale demolition of medieval London and replace it with Georgian neo-classical palaces and mansions which better fit the times. William Kent helped George II make some of his vision come true. The most prominent example is perhaps Horse Guards, completed some time after Kent’s death, which shows his devotion to the Palladian style of architecture which George II asked him to apply to an unexpected commission, the redesign of parliament.

George II despised the pre-1834 structure of parliament and with this in mind, he asked Kent to create something which not only changed the exterior of parliament – but the interior too. Kent’s design would have seen a 444-foot-long building of bright white stone placed on the Thameside with towers reaching high into the skyline of London to inspire awe in those who saw it from the ground. It truly was more palace than parliament, indeed, when George II saw Kent’s design he is said to have considered commissioning it himself and then reclaiming Westminster as a royal residence with parliament forced to go elsewhere.

But just as the outside of the parliament would have been vastly different from the pre-1834, so too was the inside. Instead of the two sides of politicians facing each other as they always had, Kent envisaged an amphitheatre. After all, the only reason the pre-1834 seating arrangements existed was because that’s how St Stephen’s Chapel had been laid out when the Commons sat there. Kent proposed that both Commons and Lords Chambers should be built in the round with circular galleries and huge chandeliers to provide light. But his most radical departure from the established order was to install a huge royal chamber in between these two amphitheatres with Commons and Lords forced to file towards the centre of the parliament building to hear the King’s speech from the throne. This chamber was to be rectangular and housed a raised throne for the Sovereign accessible by a marble staircase housed under a gilded canopy. The Commons would stand in the interior before the King whilst the Lords would gaze on from a balcony of recessed archways, positioned slightly higher than the Commons floor but lower than the King’s throne.

When the competition to find a new palace of Westminster design was established following the Burning of Parliament, James Burton, a property developer who had worked with John Nash on the redevelopment of Regent’s Park (and whose son Decimus later joined, and eventually made a reality the palace complex there), took up Kent’s designs. He made a few subtle changes but submitted the work, according to the rules, using the pseudonym, William Foster. The design was chosen third in the competition but was disqualified in the final round because somebody recognised that it was not a brand-new work, rather it had been revived from a past proposal.

Graham disliked the Burton/Kent design intensely. He thought it gaudy, vulgar and “far too American”. In his view, the amphitheatre approach was a slap in the face to British tradition and he found the idea of the King entering parliament and sitting on “a throne like Caesar’s” to be “most disgusting”. He included it only because he believed the Whigs might prefer it (indeed many had spoken in it's favour) and the design was considered to be more expensive than the Barry/Pugin deign. His Tory colleagues would share his view and probably opt to retain Barry/Pugin or opt for Hopper. But Graham could claim that the Whigs were still addicted to spending money and that they did not value British tradition - as previously seen in their attacks on the established Church. But just in case, Graham gave himself an insurance policy. He wished to bring Decimus Burton into the discussion to see if he might be able to amend his father's Kent-inspired design if by some fluke it was chosen in place of the Barry and Pugin design – which Graham still expected to win the day…

The Poll

So as promised, here's our poll! I've had to stage this before the election result so that I can include your choice in an organic way dropping little details into the instalments before we reach the chapter where the decision is finally made.

I have story options for all three choices so feel free to choose whichever design you prefer. I'll keep the poll running until after the weekend and then remove it (I'll screencap and post the results) so that it doesn't act as a spoiler for new readers in the future.

The poll is at the top of this thread.

P.S - Credit to @Ogrebear who first inspired this idea when they reminded me of the Hopper design and what might have been!

Last edited:
Really nice work, there :)

I'd never looked into the alternates for the rebuild of Westminster. I'm getting very strong Hungarian Parliament vibes from the Hopper design and very strong modern Reichstag vibes from the Kent Burton one. Personally I prefer the Kent Burton design, though in the strong hopes that Decimus would rework the interior, scrap the autocratic 'royal chamber' and use the space to redesign both debating chambers to have a more U-shaped plan, like so many debating chambers designed from 1850-ish onwards have been given. That just feels like a better arrangement to me, personally.

Really nice work, there :)

I'd never looked into the alternates for the rebuild of Westminster. I'm getting very strong Hungarian Parliament vibes from the Hopper design and very strong modern Reichstag vibes from the Kent Burton one. Personally I prefer the Kent Burton design, though in the strong hopes that Decimus would rework the interior, scrap the autocratic 'royal chamber' and use the space to redesign both debating chambers to have a more U-shaped plan, like so many debating chambers designed from 1850-ish onwards have been given. That just feels like a better arrangement to me, personally.
Thank you so much!

I have to admit, I only discovered the Kent Burton design whilst researching TTL and as a former Londoner, I wish I'd paid more attention to the different architectural styles that are packed into Westminster. The trouble is that when you live in London you just don't have the time to stop and appreciate what's around you - if anything you get ticked off with stationary tourists who get in your way when you've got the tube to catch before the crush starts!

It's quite amazing to think that most of the buildings there only popped up in the last 180 years or so, even though with some (like the Palace of Westminster) you'd assume they have been there for centuries. It's a mad blend of styles yet in a weird way, it works perfectly.

To be fair, i love the PoW as is, but the interteriors could certainly have being designed for future expansion and growth. Plus changing the HoC and HoL to something little more roomy.

To be fair, i love the PoW as is, but the interteriors could certainly have being designed for future expansion and growth. Plus changing the HoC and HoL to something little more roomy.
I totally agree @jkarr - but then, could the OTL Victorians ever have foreseen a time when the hereditary peers would (mostly) be cleared out and hundreds of new life peers squeezed into the existing chamber to take their place? That said, even in the OTL today we're not spending money to expand the Palace, we're only maintaining/restoring what we already have.

Personally I prefer the Kent Burton design, though in the strong hopes that Decimus would rework the interior, scrap the autocratic 'royal chamber' and use the space to redesign both debating chambers to have a more U-shaped plan, like so many debating chambers designed from 1850-ish onwards have been given.

I completely agree -- I love the look of the Kent Burton design over the Gothic revival alternatives, but that central, elevated throne is horrific. I'd be very interested, though, in how amphitheatre seating might affect political developments in Parliament, especially given the situation ITTL in which both major parties are divided, formally or informally.

I completely agree -- I love the look of the Kent Burton design over the Gothic revival alternatives, but that central, elevated throne is horrific. I'd be very interested, though, in how amphitheatre seating might affect political developments in Parliament, especially given the situation ITTL in which both major parties are divided, formally or informally.
It would probably be more convenient for smaller parties to be able to sit as a continuous block, rather than sometimes being split across the two sets of benches, true. But TBH I don't think it would change things much. The Americans actually do have amphitheatre-style chambers and have managed to remain almost entirely bipartisan for their whole existence as a nation. And if Yes (Prime) Minister is to be believed, most British politics of note has always been done in small groups on the quiet in corridors and other smaller chambers, and gentlemen's clubs around Westminster.