Could they have become presidents?

celebrity politicians (don't know if they're not eligible for prez, ala Schwarzenegger):

Sonny Bono
Gopher from the Love Boat
Jesse Ventura
Al Franken
Clint Eastwood
Jerry Springer
Shirley Temple

Lot of choices for which one would be the wackiest president.

campaign slogans, anyone?

"on the good ship, US 1" (sung in a syruppy voice)
"go ahead, make my veto"
"I got you, vote"
"live from Washington, DC, it's AAAAL Franken"
Spring break, washington DC, with Jerry Springer
(lounge singer): the loooove office, making your dreams come true
"If elected, I promise a feather boa in every pot"

unprincipled peter said:
Clint Eastwood
He wasn't political enough. He only ever ran for Mayor of Carmel for a personal reason, & had no ambition elsewhere, or even in Carmel after that was dealt with. (He made a rockin' Mayor of Las Vegas tho--til they blew it up.:eek::eek::p)

Jerry Springer was actually a proper politician, the Democratic Mayor of Cincinnati. In 1982, he came third in the primary to receive the Ohio gubernatorial nomination, mostly because he was attacked for being caught with a prostitute in the 1970s.

He wasn't political enough. He only ever ran for Mayor of Carmel for a personal reason, & had no ambition elsewhere, or even in Carmel after that was dealt with. (He made a rockin' Mayor of Las Vegas tho--til they blew it up.:eek::eek::p)

I think part of the reason was that the city made ice cream cones in public illegal or something like that

If Palm Beach County had a better ballot design Gore would have been president. I think Gerald Ford could have won the nomination if we somehow get rid of Reagan. Maybe Reagan makes a big gaffe before the New Hampshire primary. We need to have Ford win Iowa. I don't think King and the show biz types had the experience in electoral politics to win.

I disagree that Gore was ever viable. Consider - he was the VP of Bill Clinton, a guy many REPUBLICANS wish we had in office today, and the economy was in great shape. Yet he lost to a guy best known for being a frat boy who wanted to be Commissioner of the MLB rather than a politician. Gore didn't lose because of Palm Beach (where btw the Democrats approved the ballots in advance) - he lost because he was a shitty wooden candidate.

Jerry Springer was actually a proper politician, the Democratic Mayor of Cincinnati. In 1982, he came third in the primary to receive the Ohio gubernatorial nomination, mostly because he was attacked for being caught with a prostitute in the 1970s.

He got caught on that in part because he was dumb enough to pay with a check...

I disagree that Gore was ever viable. Consider - he was the VP of Bill Clinton, a guy many REPUBLICANS wish we had in office today, and the economy was in great shape. Yet he lost to a guy best known for being a frat boy who wanted to be Commissioner of the MLB rather than a politician. Gore didn't lose because of Palm Beach (where btw the Democrats approved the ballots in advance) - he lost because he was a shitty wooden candidate.

True Gore should have done much better, but he almost did win change 300 votes in Florida and that's 292 electoral votes.

Some celebrities to consider for president:

Democratic party:

Tom Hanks
Susan Sarandon
Betty White
Ben Affleck
Humphrey Bogart
Charlton Heston(Pre 1980's)
Robert Redford
Barbara Streisand

Republican Party:

Tom Selleck
Bruce Willis
Dennis Miller
Gary Cooper
Jimmy Stewart
Sylvester Stallone
John Wayne
Kelsey Grammer

Last edited:
Some celebrities to consider for president:

Democratic party:

Tom Hanks
Susan Sarandon
Betty White
Ben Affleck
Humphrey Bogart
Charlton Heston(Pre 1980's)
Robert Redford
Barbara Stresiland

Republican Party:

Tom Selleck
Bruce Willis
Dennis Miller
Gary Cooper
Jimmy Stewart
Sylvester Stallone
John Wayne
Kelsey Grammer

Unfortunately although he is one of my favorite actors and he would make a badass president, Bruce Willis is not eligible because he was born in Germany.

To the republican list add:

Drew Carey
Ben Stein
James Earl Jones
Heather Locklear
Robert Duvall
Dwayne "don't call me 'The Rock' anymore" Johnson
Mel Gibson (yes he is eligible because he was born in New York)
Meat Loaf
Tony Danza

I challenge you to come up with a timeline where a Ben Stein/The Rock ticket is elected in 2012 against Obama/Biden :D

Unfortunately although he is one of my favorite actors and he would make a badass president, Bruce Willis is not eligible because he was born in Germany.

To the republican list add:

Drew Carey
Ben Stein
James Earl Jones
Heather Locklear
Robert Duvall
Dwayne "don't call me 'The Rock' anymore" Johnson
Mel Gibson (yes he is eligible because he was born in New York)
Meat Loaf
Tony Danza

I challenge you to come up with a timeline where a Ben Stein/The Rock ticket is elected in 2012 against Obama/Biden :D

:confused: