attachment.php

New England electoral maps:
May 1991
July 1991

New England telephony map:
attachment.php

Virginia general election, 2009:
attachment.php

I agree, but what countries in particular? For example, if Britain has a crap ton of nuclear missiles, would they place them in allied countries close to hotspots, or would New England for example have its own nuclear programme?

I almost forgot to mention; this part also really depends on how "integrated" (read: dependent) the Commonwealths are on their home country. If I'm reading this scenario correctly, the relationship between the Commonwealths is less like the Dominions of OTL and more like independent countries bound by alliances.

Quick question, what is the state of Japan and China to this Super British Empire because if they are belligerent or cold towards it affects where nukes might be. I imagine the North American territories might have nuclear weapons (as possible deterrent against the Mexico (who by the way is looking very big. Perhaps an independent California or something to make it's size a tad more plausible?). You might have nukes in India and Maybe Australia (assuming Japan is cool towards Britain and ones in Persia to deter the Russians.

WRT the Virginia election map;

So what are the different subdivisions of the Commonwealth named, the same as OTL? If so, it must be pretty strange having both a Commonwealth and a state/province named the same thing :p
Also, what are those electoral colors supposed to equate to in terms of political parties?

VT45

Banned
Vt, do you mind if I ISOT you're New England to my Fictional ISOT map? Just go to my test thread page to see the map.

Sure, go right ahead.

WRT the Virginia election map;

So what are the different subdivisions of the Commonwealth named, the same as OTL? If so, it must be pretty strange having both a Commonwealth and a state/province named the same thing :p
Also, what are those electoral colors supposed to equate to in terms of political parties?

The divisions are called from north to south: Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Natchez. Virginia is just so dominant that not many people have a problem with calling the entire country Virginia.

And from left to right, the parties are ideologically:
Red-social democratic
Gold-liberal/progressive
Light blue-conservative
Dark blue-nationalist

VT45

Banned
Wikiboxes

Country Wikiboxes:
republicofjapan.jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php

Japan infobox created by Vexacus.

New England Electoral Wikiboxes:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

New England political party wikiboxes:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Other wikiboxes:
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The divisions are called from north to south: Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Natchez. Virginia is just so dominant that not many people have a problem with calling the entire country Virginia.

And from left to right, the parties are ideologically:
Red-social democratic
Gold-liberal/progressive
Light blue-conservative
Dark blue-nationalist

A few more questions regarding Virginia*:

-I assume the language is largely English (albeit Southron and/or Appalachian English); are there any Spanish speakers as well, given its proximity to Mexico and Florida?

-Regarding demographics, given how few Black New Englanders there are I also suppose it's safe to say that Virginia (and likely Columbia) have much higher numbers of non-white Citizens.

-It's not that surprising that the Conservatives have a hold on politics, but is there really that strong a Nationalist presence? I'd have figured that would be more common in New England.

*I ask specifically about this Commonwealth realm because a) I'm a Virginian myself, which naturally piques my curiosity, and b) You seem to have New England on lock-down :D

VT45

Banned
A few more questions regarding Virginia*:

-I assume the language is largely English (albeit Southron and/or Appalachian English); are there any Spanish speakers as well, given its proximity to Mexico and Florida?

-Regarding demographics, given how few Black New Englanders there are I also suppose it's safe to say that Virginia (and likely Columbia) have much higher numbers of non-white Citizens.

-It's not that surprising that the Conservatives have a hold on politics, but is there really that strong a Nationalist presence? I'd have figured that would be more common in New England.

*I ask specifically about this Commonwealth realm because a) I'm a Virginian myself, which naturally piques my curiosity, and b) You seem to have New England on lock-down :D

There may well be many Spanish-speakers in the region, but I doubt that Virginian politicians (correct me if I'm wrong on this) would recognise their linguistic rights, like New England might do.

Well, I use 'nationalist' as sort of a catch-all phrase for far-right parties (such as the BNP and UKIP IOTL). I think that the far-right presence would definitely be there. Whether or not that's a rather recent development I don't know. Up to you really.

Yes, I do have New England on lock-down. That's what I'm used to. If you want to flesh out Virginia more, please feel free.

There may well be many Spanish-speakers in the region, but I doubt that Virginian politicians (correct me if I'm wrong on this) would recognise their linguistic rights, like New England might do.

I think that the Virginian government may not be too keen on recognizing it as such, but as we've seen with other states in OTL that doesn't really matter for practical purposes; with enough migration, there will have to be some concessions made for multi-lingual citizens, even if it's just posting bilingual signs at the market.

Well, I use 'nationalist' as sort of a catch-all phrase for far-right parties (such as the BNP and UKIP IOTL). I think that the far-right presence would definitely be there. Whether or not that's a rather recent development I don't know. Up to you really.

Given how the "Planter Aristocracy" took hold IOTL, I suspect there would be a larger right-leaning atmosphere in The South here too. A good model on Virginian politics and society IMHO would be Glen's "Dominion of Southron America" timeline; one shaped by an overt British presence yet still having its own identity and flavor.

Yes, I do have New England on lock-down. That's what I'm used to. If you want to flesh out Virginia more, please feel free.

Easy man, I didn't mean anything by that. Just an observation :)
I'm not too familiar with making alt-Wiki infoboxes but I'm willing to give it a shot.

VT45

Banned
I think that the Virginian government may not be too keen on recognizing it as such, but as we've seen with other states in OTL that doesn't really matter for practical purposes; with enough migration, there will have to be some concessions made for multi-lingual citizens, even if it's just posting bilingual signs at the market.

[Southern upper-class toff]I think that nonsense will just be restricted to the immigrant neighbourhoods, thank you very much[/Southern upper-class toff]

Given how the "Planter Aristocracy" took hold IOTL, I suspect there would be a larger right-leaning atmosphere in The South here too. A good model on Virginian politics and society IMHO would be Glen's "Dominion of Southron America" timeline; one shaped by an overt British presence yet still having its own identity and flavor.

Yeah. I'm thinking a cross between Canadian and OTL US Heartland politics (Oh dear God, NO!). Mainline conservatives aren't as hard-line right-wingers as the OTL Republicans are, but the far-right definitely makes up for it. And God only knows when the last progressive or liberal PM was.

Easy man, I didn't mean anything by that. Just an observation :)
I'm not too familiar with making alt-Wiki infoboxes but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Not sure if you thought I took offense to what you said or if that was more of a 'Woah, down boy' type comment. Cos I'd genuinely love to hear any ideas that you might have on Virginia ITTL.

[Southern upper-class toff]I think that nonsense will just be restricted to the immigrant neighbourhoods, thank you very much[/Southern upper-class toff]

Unfortunately, yeah pretty much. Then again I grew up as a "Cohee" redneck with plenty of black friends/classmates, so the Planter Barons can pretty much KMCA :p

Of course, with time they will simply HAVE to be more cosmopolitan in outlook, they can't afford not to be given their geography. As it is, slavery won't last past the mid-19th. Century, and as far as internal race relations go I don't imagine it being worse than OTL (if anything, society will likely be less biased toward interracial mingling, so long as one has money or reputation).

EDIT: I forgot to clarify the above, but this was actually not unheard of in OTL's New Orleans. Food for thought.

Yeah. I'm thinking a cross between Canadian and OTL US Heartland politics (Oh dear God, NO!). Mainline conservatives aren't as hard-line right-wingers as the OTL Republicans are, but the far-right definitely makes up for it. And God only knows when the last progressive or liberal PM was.

As noted in the electoral map, however, there are hotspots of Social Democrats. These seem to be concentrated in the Tri-City area (Georgetown, Alexandria and Baltimore), alt-Atlanta and alt-Memphis. Also, the Tidewater areas, and much of Georgia and Natchez, seem to have majority Liberal leanings which IMO kinda makes sense.

Not sure if you thought I took offense to what you said or if that was more of a 'Woah, down boy' type comment. Cos I'd genuinely love to hear any ideas that you might have on Virginia ITTL.

That you took offense is how it came across, but no worries. Alas, the vagaries of online correspondence :)
I'll think on other comments/ideas I can contribute to this part of your project.

Last edited:
A few more thoughts on the Virginian Commonwealth;

1) Although OTL has seen a greater level of gun control amongst the various Commonwealth members (at least in Canada and Australia/New Zealand), I rather doubt this would happen here. It may well happen in TTL's Canada, Columbia and New England, but despite being a Realm of the British monarchy it's still very much its own beast (again, like the above Realms), and Slaver Uprising or no I don't see that kind of legislation getting anywhere.

2) From an economic standpoint, they can't afford to remain entirely agriculturally based. What they CAN do, however, is focus on mechanizing their cultivation of crops (re: cotton, sugarcane, rice, tobacco, and hemp fiber) while also building on their coal and machine-fabrication sectors. The Appalachians would be a good place to center such industries, whilst leaving the Tidewater and Georgia/Natchez areas to more "traditional" pursuits.

3)While the electoral map given is rather anachronistic, we may well still see the growth of cities in the same (or similar) locations as Memphis and Atlanta; they're located in prime transportation territory.

What do you think?

VT45

Banned
Sounds good to me. Though might I ask what you mean by the electoral map being anachronistic?

Sounds good to me. Though might I ask what you mean by the electoral map being anachronistic?

Well, the cities of Memphis and Atlanta weren't established until well after your POD (1819 and 1847, respectively); in that regard, it seems a little out of place given how the different subdivisions seemed to lean in that map. Again, though, there's no reason why alt-history versions of said cities (if perhaps named differently) wouldn't be founded. My apologies for the perhaps stronger-than-necessary phrasing.

EDIT: To clarify, Memphis is located in a fantastic spot on the Mississippi River. Even with the geopolitical landscape you've established, I'd reckon that trade along the Mississippi-Ohio confluence would be of huge importance to Virginia (as well as Columbia, incidentally), in which case having a large port city nearby makes a whole heap of sense. And Atlanta was the key junction of East-West railways during the expansion of the frontier; while there isn't really a frontier to speak of, there's no reason why a major transportation hub (and subsequently, a large city) wouldn't be placed more or less where Atlanta is IOTL. Geography yields the advantages it does, and a POD of this kind won't change that. Hope that made sense.

Also, are those aforementioned subdivisions supposed to be OTL voter districts, or alternate counties/census regions? Given that Virginia is the size and shape it is, assuming they're the former, they could also become the latter. In which case, I can get to work compiling a list of said "super-counties" if you'd like?

VT45

Banned
The subdivisions seen on the map I posted are electoral districts, each returning one MP to the House of Commons.

Oh, and also, despite this map not showing it (cos it wasn't at this stage of development), Bermuda is part of Virginia, and is part of the province of South Carolina.

The subdivisions seen on the map I posted are electoral districts, each returning one MP to the House of Commons.

Oh, and also, despite this map not showing it (cos it wasn't at this stage of development), Bermuda is part of Virginia, and is part of the province of South Carolina.

-Ah, I see. So in that case they're NOT subdivisions of the Commonwealth? I assume then that OTL's county divisions are in force.

-Well if that's the case, then Virginia simply must have a solid navy (if not quite as New England's). It need not be a war-winning monster like OTL's US Navy or anything, just something that can guarantee the safety of the coastline, maintain links with Bermuda in this case, as well as protecting sea transport and denying the same to the enemy, and riverine patrol/littoral warfare; basically a combination of river-craft, corvettes, frigates, submarines* and non-combatants. The heavy-hitters (e.g. cruisers, battleships, and carriers) can be left to Great Britain, New England and perhaps Canada.

*I see Virginia jumping on this particular bandwagon for two reasons;
1) The UK did so in OTL, so there's a potentially convergent interest here as well in terms of sharing tactical doctrine and tech. development, and
2) It acts as a force multiplier for relatively cheap. In other words, it frees up funds for Virginia to focus on the Army and Air Force while also fielding a potent maritime threat in wartime.

Last edited:

VT45

Banned
I think during the world wars, Virginia would've had a sizeable navy. Maybe not now, but back then probably.

Some other things that some of the others and I have thought up for Virginia: so slavery ends across the British Empire in 1838, whether the southern colonies (at the time; Virginia became a dominion sometime in the late 1850s-1860s) liked it or not. I don't see any reason why sharecropping, since cotton and agriculture would likely still be the main driving force behind the southern economy at the time, wouldn't catch on. So from that develops almost an apartheid-like system that lasts until around the end of the Second World War (which ended in 1952), following mass emigration of blacks from the country, and blacks for example opting to enlist illegally in foreign armies (mostly Columbia and New England) to escape the discrimination in their home countries. This is the main reason that the black population is so high in countries such as New England (it would've been nowhere near 5% when Confederation happened). Any ideas you have there?

Also, would you be interested in making a country wikibox?

I tried to tell from your time zone wiki box, but what's the situation in the Midwest? It looks like the old US Northwest Territory is united (Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc.), but what's its story?

Status
Not open for further replies.