Commonwealth-Wank Common Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT45

Banned
I've been producing maps, flags, and wikiboxes for my TL in which the Americans lose the Battle of Saratoga and therefore the AWI, but never have I created a thread in common for everything. So, I think it's about time that I did.

Also, since this is supposed to be more of a realistic scenario than a proper Britwank, I'm changing the name to 'Commonwealth-Wank,' since pretty much every European country is either part of a Commonwealth-type alliance (though in practise these alliance act more like NATO than the OTL CoN), or the head of one. And these things stretch worldwide.

So, without further ado, a map of the world as it was in 1880, on the 100th anniversary of the crushing of the American rebels at Lancaster:

attachment.php

And a map of the modern world (using the TACOS scheme). Allied countries can definitely be posted and I'll be glad to do that at some point.

Aireacht1.png

VT45

Banned
would the WV Northern Panhandle really still be a part of it? Would be fun to have something a little different.

I think probably. Virginia settled the Ohio Valley along that stretch, and Pennsylvania would want enough of a buffer zone between Pittsburgh and the Vieginia border so that it wouldnt be right on the border. London would probably see that border as good enough a compromise as Washington did IOTL.

I believe that, given both Dominican Republic's and Puerto Rico's small populations, I think that they could perfectly stay Spanish TTL.

VT45

Banned
This map shows the alliance system as it exists in the present day. While this world does look very fractured, what happens usually is that several of these regional blocks will group together and form super-alliances. For example, the First World War, fought between 1914 and 1917 over the possible unification of Germany was a great clash of two super-alliances: Prussia, Italy, Spain, Greece, Sweden, and China vs Britain, France, Russia, Portugal, Turkey, and Denmark.

Note about Argentina: the Republic of Argentina was formed in 1952 following the Second World War (fought between 1943 and 1952) as it started the whole thing. It claimed the Falklands and Tierra del Fuego as its own, causing Britain to defend it. Due to the binding nature of these alliances, both the British and Spanish commonwealths were pulled into the war. This caused Portugal and France to become worried about their own prospects worldwide, and they declared war on Spain. Prussia then declared war on France, causing Russia and Austria to declare war on Prussia.

So that such a mess could never happen again, Argentina was kicked out of the Spanish Empire and declared a republic, independent of any other countries, and completely isolated. It is currently the world's only truly rogue state.

Also, one question for you guys. Now that you can see the alliance system of the world, what countries do you think would have nuclear weapons, and how many?

Aireacht1.png

VT45

Banned
The brown you're using for Colombia is actually the TACOS CS color for Venezuela.

Yes, I know. It's more centred in OTL Venezuela than OTL Colombia. Besides, there's a country in North America that's called Columbia, and so I decided things would be confusing enough as it is.

I suspect that the British Commonwealth, *alt-Russia and the Spanish Realm would likely have nukes; possibly along with the French.

As an aside, what details have we regarding the various North American Commonwealths? I imagine that big one to the far north may be called "Canada" or "Manitoba" but what of the rest?

VT45

Banned
I suspect that the British Commonwealth, *alt-Russia and the Spanish Realm would likely have nukes; possibly along with the French.

I agree, but what countries in particular? For example, if Britain has a crap ton of nuclear missiles, would they place them in allied countries close to hotspots, or would New England for example have its own nuclear programme?

As an aside, what details have we regarding the various North American Commonwealths? I imagine that big one to the far north may be called "Canada" or "Manitoba" but what of the rest?

Yes that is Canada in the west: a Commonwealth Realm whose capital is York, on the shores of Lake Ontario. Then you've got Quebec (Quebec City), New England (Boston), Columbia (Princeton), and Virginia (Williamsburg), all Commonwealth Realms.

I agree, but what countries in particular? For example, if Britain has a crap ton of nuclear missiles, would they place them in allied countries close to hotspots, or would New England for example have its own nuclear programme?

Just speaking about the British Commonwealths, it all depends on who the potential recipients of any instant sunshine would be; honestly I think Canada (and maybe India) would be a prime site for ICBM and bomber bases. Regarding the other Commonwealths, Australia and one of the coastal NA ones (maybe Virginia) could be pretty good places to put boomers.

The Spanish may well use Mexico or the Philippines for basing their arsenals. The Russians and Chinese have plenty of contiguous territory for basing missiles or bombers. The French nuke force may actually resemble that of OTL given where they could (or couldn't) base out of.

Yes that is Canada in the west: a Commonwealth Realm whose capital is York, on the shores of Lake Ontario. Then you've got Quebec (Quebec City), New England (Boston), Columbia (Princeton), and Virginia (Williamsburg), all Commonwealth Realms.

Interesting; I assume they pretty much correlate culturally with their OTL counterparts (apart from the Crown Loyalist aspect)?

Mexico seems rather large; I'm surprised nobody's had the idea of attempting a revolt, or establishing a buffer state between Mexico and the British Commonwealths. Or that the Native Americans in that area haven't tried to strike out on their own.

EDIT: Or either Louisiana or Texas forming their own states/commonwealths, for that matter. BTW what is that South American/Gran Colombian state called, if there's a Columbia in North America? "New Granada" perhaps?

Last edited:

VT45

Banned
Luisiana used to be a separate dominion for a few years. However, internal problems and financial woes meant that it was eventually split between Canada and Mexico.

And yes, the Gran Colombia-esque Imperial Realm is called New Granada.

Status
Not open for further replies.