Code Geass Lorebuilding

So watching those recap movies, made me recall a lot of headcanons and 'additional lore' I had thought up as a backstory for the world of Code Geass, which helped explain the weirdness of Geass' overall timeline and background. I saw we already had a thread for this, but since its way old, I decided to make a new one which wouldn't be just for my thoughts, but others who could make an input, especially since we're supposed to be getting either an R3 or a 'epilogue movie'. Bear in mind, some of this is inspired by various Geass scenarios I've read throughout the years (including some from the old thread), so if you see some familiarity, don't be surprised.

Keep in mind, some of this will be contradicting official lore... which often contradicts itself anyway.

PoD is a smaller and failed American Revolution, everything else is largely Britannian propaganda. There aren't actually 99 Emperors, its just that the former Kings of Great Britain were also tacked on as 'legacy' Emperors, along with mythological figures like "Alwyn I" and Arthur. The ruling dynasty is the House of Hanover, exiled after losing the Napoleonic Wars to North America. Eventually it renamed itself to the 'House of Britannia', to further relate to its new holdings. It adopted a GoT-like law where even if there is a matrilineal marriage as a result of a female heir, the dynasty maintains the same name, hence 'our bloodline immortal and pure'. Taking a page from the Bonapartes' book, they largely ruled via populism and nationalism. The Social Darwinism is a recent thing and came under Charles' reign and was largely a result of the Emblem of Blood Era. The whole 'Emblem of Blood' actually added a lot to the number of Emperors, besides the legacy styling. Pendragon's either on the East Coast, or wasn't Britannia's first capital. Could be a summer palace of sorts, even, if it has to be in Arizona.

Meanwhile in Europe, the French Empire consolidated. It likely had a revolving door switching of government systems, where it was Imperial for awhile until it became Revolutionary Republican again. The EU wouldn't form for awhile. Germany would remain divided between Prussia, Austria and a French-influenced Rhine Confederacy. I'm actually not sure what would become of the British Isles, but either a republic or a Stuart restoration, with the condition of a Napoleonic marriage. Britain, either as a whole or divided into England and Scotland, would pretty much be an appendage of French interests. I suspect there might even be a 'French Gibraltar', either Cornwall or the Isle of Man. France would want to keep the European-based Brits in line, even if it can't touch the North American ones.

During the 19th Century, you'd still get the colonial competition and conflicts between Great Powers. France would obviously get the lion's share of Africa, but other European powers like the Dutch, Prussians and Austrians might benefit some as well. France would be a Britain-type of power, but just like the OTL UK, it would have competition from the rest of Europe, and would avoid antagonizing everyone. Hell it might even let the Euro-British and Irish get some colonies, since they'd be proxies of French policy anyway. I'd have a Great Game between France, Britannia and Russia over India and Central Asia, which resulted in everyone losing out and a modernized China profiting by the early 20th Century, taking India in its sphere of influence. For China itself to grow into the Chinese Federation, I'd have Qing China continue on as in OTL, collapse, and have the KMT and Chiang Kai-Shek take the reigns. Having a more successful Napoleon as his inspiration, he would proclaim himself the new Chinese Emperor. This would explain Tianzi's actual name, Jiang Lihua, as the Romanized version of Chiang Kai-Shek is... Jiang Jieshi. I know, butterflies and all would make it unlikely for Chiang to not only be born, but also to have the exact same life, but this is Code Geass we're talking about. Napoleon isn't a certainty with a PoD in the American Revolution, it gets even worse if we assume the PoD is in Roman times.

Meanwhile in America, you get Manifest Destiny mixed with a drive for British Imperialism. Britannia actually isn't as huge as depicted, as I theorize those maps include the variety of puppets under Pendragon, Paris and Beijing's control. At best, Britannia proper would include North America up to and including Panama. South America would be a mix of caudillo regimes that by the time of the anime, largely answer to Pendragon. The influence is of the soft sort, but they send troops to Britannia's wars anyway, since their leaders get Britannian pounds for it. They'd basically be Britannia's hired guns, and here I'd have Brazil still under the Braganzas propped up by Britannian guns, and still claiming to rule the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves, even though they'd only really have Brazil. Maybe there can be some kind of rump Spanish Empire here too, either in Colombia, Peru or Argentina, both them and the Brazilians being a parallel to the Britannians.

Britannia isn't as isolationist as OTL America, and actually does team up with Russia and other European powers in an attempt to regain its homeland, all failing. I'd say that under Charles or Lelouch, Britannia does succeed in taking back the Isles, but this is temporary as after the Zero Requiem, they're lost once again. Under Nunnally and her successors, they're still claimed, but no real effort is made into regaining them as most Britannians see North America as their actual homeland by now. Think Byzantium. It did still claim to be the Roman Empire, but reclaiming Rome proper wasn't very high on its list of priorities. Going by the anime, I'd say Britannian culture wouldn't be that alien. Rather, it'd be a mix of OTL British and Anglo-American cultures. Imperialism and traditional monarchism remain a staple of their society even post-Lelouch, though they return back to their 'reasonable' sort, instead of the crazy Social Darwinism preached by Charles. To go with the parallels, I would have an American Civil War-esque event in the 19th Century. I'd have it be the result of Britannia abolishing slavery, and the southern states rise up in revolt. To give their rebellion legitimacy, they claim to be the Second United States of America. They are thoroughly destroyed as the OTL Confederates, and Britannian Reconstruction largely ends any revolutionary settlement in North America, along with the fact that the second generation of rebels that took up Washington's cause were literal slavers. A lot of Revolutionaries, both the original ones and of the second sort would end up taking refuge in Australia, which would have a higher population than OTL, being more powerful as a result, though still nowhere near the OTL USA. Enough to enforce armed neutrality, but not enough to be a real game changer in any conflict. A lot of immigrants seeking a new life would likely go to Australia, while Britannia is made up of British exiles and assimilated Latinos in Mexico and Central America. The South American states get some immigration, but it isn't much.

The anime has a flashback to some WW1-like warfare, so around the 1900s-1910s, I'd have tensions escalate into a European War involving France and its puppets against a unified German Bloc. It needs to happen over a long period of time, and to have Britannia distracted enough, so at around the same time I'd have the First Pacific War take place, which would be Britannia vs Japan Round 1, resulting in the Japanese Empire getting divided by Britannia and the resurgent China under Chiang. Around the WW2-equivalent, I'd have the Emblem of Blood Era take place, so a Britannian civil war that leads to Charles taking the throne. The European Union/Europia United is finally formed, which includes Europe up to Western Russia. Siberia wouldn't be annexed by Britannia for whatever reason, but it would be the location of a rump Tsarist regime, propped up by the Britannians. 'Euro-Britannia' in Akito the Exiled, which has borders roughly that of OTL Russia would just be the Britannian-aligned Russian Empire regaining territory. The term 'Euro-Britannia' would be a derogatory one used by the French as means of referring to Britannia's European puppets and allies, which would include Russia as mentioned and potentially one of the Germanies going for a round three. An encirclement strategy of Tsarist Russia invading from the East while Britannia goes D-Day on Western Europe would be why the EU is losing so badly in the anime, rather than an overstretched space-filling Britannia.

China would take the place of Japan, with India taking the place of OTL China. The Imperial Federation of East Asia (commonly referred to Chinese Federation anyway, it would be China's version of the GEACPS) would dominate the region after the fall of Japan in the First Pacific War.

Oh bugger, here we go again :coldsweat:.

We've tried so long here to make Code Geass make some semblance of sense, and failed every time without drastic rewriting of the world.

I have my own personal lorebuilding piece for it (assuming we just don't care about the genocide of the butterfly effect), but I'm hesitant to post it for fear of getting laughed out of existence.

Alright, I've decided to tackle this and add my own 2¢ to this: I did a ton of worldbuilding for Code Geass in setting up my world when I started work on Familias (and then I just never finished it... go me.)

• 'Alwyn I' was a real person, just not an 'Emperor' like Britannian propaganda claims. Alwyn was the child of a British chieftain who was a hostage to Rome when Caesar made his alliances with British Chieftains in 54 BCE. When the alliance lapsed, he returned home, taking his knowledge of Roman tactics and customs with him. He ruled his tribe as a de facto ally of Rome, unlike the more fanciful accounts where he was the high King of Britain who drove the Romans from the island. It is well known in Britannian intellectual discourse that that is as credible as Geoffrey of Monmouth.
  • While a good amount of the BS surrounding the legendary rulers of their line is false, many of their old Emperors were real people, they just ruled differing lands at different times, again, about as credible as Geoffrey of Monmouth. The most famous of these being 'King Arthur,' a popular legend, who is based on a warlord in Sub-Roman Britain who took over his father's kingdom in Strathclyde, conquering Northumbria, York, and much of Wales.
  • Britannia is diglossic. In everyday speech, English is used, and lower classes use English. However, the nobility, as if to show that they are different and/or more superior, use the language of Wales, a Romance language (not Brithenig, but similar origin, Celtic languages died out south of the Scottish Highlands on Great Britain).
  • Scotland wasn't united with England until later than in our timeline, due to James not inheriting. The first King of both England and Scotland was Richard IV/I, son of Charles II of Scotland and Elizabeth II of England, granddaughter of Henry IX.
  • There were only 70 or so 'Emperors' until the Emblem of Blood, during which, the Imperial Senate recognized 27 different Emperors.
This is some cliff notes of what I have so far. I'm a bit crazy and ambitious :p

I've actually given some thought to this too but one has to take things in the anime with a grain of salt (like how guns work and Alwin)

The initial POD is not the American Revolution but the Seven Years War, and unlike our world didn't end in a clean British victory, instead it wound up in a stalemate, and although the British won fairly majorly in North America, both sides had a massive war debt, and a lot of upheaval. The American Revolution occurred but instead of a conflict much like the one we are familiar with, the British managed the conflict well from the start and a Brooklyn Heights situation was a decisive win. These are just laying the foundation for the real divergence.

Fundamentally, the world of Code Geass is divided into three large nations or possibly alliances of nations based on their sharp ideological differences. Britannia with it's monarchical, meritocratic system of social Darwinism. European Universe, with it's constitutionalist republics with occasional bouts of revolution. China with it's in universe history of military juntas. These three nations all have their own unique POD.

The Royal House of Pendragon and the Britannian Empire

The British Royal Family and the aristocrats of the British Isles were forced to flee after Napoleon, in the early days of the 19th century. The governments of British Colonial North America were forced to become a Parliament much like the one at home, with a House of Lords being the nobles who emigrated. The "Unclaimed" parts of North America were declared a Royal Estate, and the King/Emperor of Brittania offered titles to who could tame the "wilderness". The Duchies of West Massachusetts, Yucatan, Vancouver, and Port Elizabeth were created in these fashion. Viceroyalties were granted when there was a need for a larger military presence, or undue Royal interest, hence the Viceroyalty of California or Tejas. Eventually some Emperor decided in the late 19th century to move the capital of Britannia from New York to Pendragon (aka Denver). The Area system came about as a result of rapid expansion in the early 20th century and Brittania's obsession with technology to tame the wilderness and expand their empire. Area 2 was the combination of a variety of Viceroyalties and Duchies in Mexico and California.

Area 3 was Gran Columbia.
Area 4 was Carribbean Assets.
Area 5 was Portuguese Latin America
Area 6 was Southern Africa
Area 7 was Patagonia
Area 8 was Hawaii and South Pacific
Area 9 was Australia and New Zealand
Area 10 was Indochina, Phillipines and Indonesia, and was declared as the total region of ongoing proxy wars between China and Brittania as the United States of Japan collapsed.
Area 11 was Core of the United States of Japan
Charles then went on a spree naming areas that weren't conquered, cause f*** it he's the Emperor they'll get there one day with 18 being the bulk of the Arabian Peninsula.
the 20-29 Areas were prospectively going to be Europe.

The Alliance of European Republics or Euro Universe

Napoleon would be the first and only Emperor of Europe, after his death the Republican forces had the loyalty of an army that was unwilling to go on another suicide march into Russia, and the whole of Europe cried out for one thing. Overthrow the Aristocracy. The Summer of 1848 in the World of Code Geass saw the overthrow of every noble aristocracy. European Republicanism although only extended to Europe itself. They preyed on the Middle East and Africa creating indirect empires backed up by their technologically superior weapons. Their complete abhorrence of any monarchy systems would force Africa to choose between Darwinist Brittanian South Africa and European Republican Northern Africa. Suffice to say native Africans lost. Europe will not and CANNOT abide any monarchy, broken republics and one party states following European principles yes.

Chinese Federation

The most murky but I could see the "eunuch generals" arising after a particularly weak emperor and the military leadership wanting to modernize and damn any dowager empresses that stand in their way. Ultimately they developed parallel with the United States of Japan, but quickly they realize there's only room for one more superpower. Japan ultimately lost between Federation Expansion and Britannian expansion, Japan tried to play off the Britannians against the Chinese but it didn't work... hence the invasion we see in the show.

I did get a partial map going which is below. I added a slapdash legend to show that the various Emperors and Imperial courtiers are no better at laying out state boundaries then Congress.

You can see about where I stopped my project

RdrGMiD.png

Some factoids

*Benedict Arnold is a highly respected figure, and was appointed the first Earl of White Plains (encompassing West Point and New York City)

* The Viceroyalty of California is a historical anomaly as it was a Wife of the Emperor who was the Viceroy, and demanded to be a Lord of the Treasury in the 19th century. She actually accelerated women's issues in Brittania.

*Area 2 should become a part of Brittania proper but for a variety of tax, court issues, title overlaps, and other issues it can't. The Viceroys of Texas and California despise one another and only one can run the whole area after all.

*Area 1 is Quebec. French is still spoken, despite Brittanian Efforts of all counts. Marianne was actually a large proponent for Area 1, and if she wanted could have been declared Viceroy, although the Area 1 Viceroyalty office in Montreal is a joke of 4 competing Dukes

*Brittania built the Nicaragua Canal.

*Teddy Roosevelt was a Duke of New York, and became Prime Minister.

*Brittanian government most heavily is based on the Westminster Model... but upside down. The House of Lords is where the Power really lies, with Commons being a Rubber stamp. Prime Minister being a vestigal title, Lord of the Treasury... that's the REAL power. Schneizel was called Prime Minister because he was unusual. He used unconventional tactics of employing the House of Commons in combination with his Royal Title as a Lord of the Treasury to overpower the House of Lords. Many Aristocrats were most distressed, and think it dangerous.

*Scientific Patronage was in vogue for many years among Brittania's nobility, and thanks to an Emperor's decree making the "Royal University System" science and technology flourished in all areas.

*Oh and...

Brittanian Noble Ranks
Sovereign
Prince of the Royal House / Empress
Dukes
Earls
Barons/Counts

Sovereign, The Emperor IS the State. His children are given significant priveleges but the Emperor's authority is absolute.
Ex: Emperor Charles zi Brittania

Prince, Princesses, and Empresses technically are all the same rank but their actual position is defined by court politics. They can appoint Knights, Margraves or Knight Commanders as their protection detail up to a company of soldiers in collaboration with Imperial Security Services. Technically these soldiers are outside of the traditional armed forces ranks but are typically given equivalent or higher commissions by the Prince, Princess or Empress. Kinghts of the Round are considered equal rank to a O-8. Most Princes or Empresses typically only appoint their knights to O-5. Empresses select their royal prefix upon marriage
Ex: Marianne vi Brittania, Lelouch vi Brittania

Viceroys are only appointed in newly conquered or stabilizing regions, as it is a combination of Bureaucratic and military power. Once a region is conquered the Area government is supposed to dissolve and become part of Brittania, but no region has done this for a while. Depending on the stability Viceroys could be absolute authority, or have no authority at all. Area 1's Viceroy has very little power, Area 2's has competing viceroys, Area 11 had Cornelia being the absolute military and bureaucratic power of all of Japan.
Ex: Viceroy Calares, Duke Calares

Dukes are Emperor approved regional government officials. Kind of a bastardization of a Governor-General who maintains their own court of related courtiers and earls and barons in their region.
Ex: Viceroy Calares, Duke Calares, Viceroy of California, Duke of Texas

Earldoms are usually given to Major cities governmental officers, or regions of Strategic resources. Earl of San Francisco Bay Area, Earl of the Canal.
Ex: Earl Asplund of Camelot Engineering Corps, appt by Prince Schneizel el Brittania. Earl of San Francisco Bay Area, Earl of the Canal.

Barons usually get their titles based on Royal Blood connection, Counts are appointed and executives, financiers and others seek these appointments as they come with considerable privilege including indemnification, and being able to Appeal to the Royal Court for judicial matters directly.
Ex: Baron of Trenton, Baron of Baltimore

Military Rank follows pretty much UK armed Forces standards, with higher ranks granting knighthood along side other military decorations. All officers must prove themselves at the academy, even royals with the help of the Emperor can only jump up 5 ranks by Royal order. <which explains how Cornelia jumped from Captain to General, although she was probably took the rank of Captain of Marianne's guard as like an apprentice thing.

Last edited:
Well that's certainly... different. The nobility seems very odd, though I had some similar ideas with regards to pacification of the west (i.e. take a certain amount of land and you get a noble title).
For me, it's a bit more... straightforward.
  • Barons are in charge of cities and towns, and their titles are usually hereditary, but can be simply appointed for life to be put in the lords. Barons sometimes run their towns, but almost always have a Vice-Mayor, who can be anything from an executive assistant to the person who actually runs things.
  • Viscounts are in charge of cities that are also counties. Viscount is almost always a courtesy title, granted to the son of an Earl. The only reason it would be held not as courtesy is via a writ of acceleration from the Emperor.
  • Earls are in charge of counties. Earl is a hereditary title.
  • Margraves/Marquis are Earls in charge of what was once border areas, often times having larger counties. This is also hereditary
  • Dukes are in charge of Duchies, large states equivalent to the OTL States in the US, Mexico, Brazil, etc.
  • Grand Dukes are Dukes who have some connection to the Royal Family, often held by the brother or father of an Imperial Consort, or by the consort herself in some cases.
Certain areas are incorporated directly into Britannia and no longer have Viceroys. Areas 1, 2, 3, and 6 are all incorporated directly into the Empire and no longer have Viceroys or even Governor Generals.

I have more but I'll type that up later.

My question is though, would Britannia really be capable of taking over all of South America? If yes, I'd see Africa under the reign of the EU as 'development zones' of various EU member states, of course France getting the larger half. Also what do you all think the rump puppeted British Isles would be like? I doubt they'd be anything resembling our own UK, maybe look into post-WRE fall Italy for some subtle inspirations there?

My question is though, would Britannia really be capable of taking over all of South America? If yes, I'd see Africa under the reign of the EU as 'development zones' of various EU member states, of course France getting the larger half. Also what do you all think the rump puppeted British Isles would be like? I doubt they'd be anything resembling our own UK, maybe look into post-WRE fall Italy for some subtle inspirations there?
I always just thought that the Rump UK would be a powerless monarchy under a Washminster system. It would be easier for Napoleon who'd probably not want to stick around in Britain for too long.

I'm not too sure, the British Isles would probably be eternally considered a threat, since if the French leave, the Britannian exiles could just move in and reunite with their old homeland. I imagine it being very integrated, with a lot of a resenting population that gradually accepted European rule, as the rest would've just gone over to Britannia.

Given the right opportunity? yes. All Brittania would need is find some people willing to declare themselves Dukes or Barons or something, and then have overwhelming military support. In fact Knightmares would probably first find use as Mountain Corps for getting over rough terrain. Also they'd probably be further along the path of "assimilation" than Japan, it could be where Britannia got the idea after all. Rump British Isles would probably be divided into 4 pieces: Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, with England adopting Chartist or more Cromwell like tactics. That and a hatred for Brittania as a convenient enemy. Of course Brittania would LOVE to get the UK back.

One thing I could never figure out is where Britannia got the Holy title from, only thing I could gather is that after the Euro Republican forces kicked out the Vatican, they moved to Brittania and crowned an Emperor declaring him the first Holy Brittanian Emperor.

On some level, Britannia, Euro Universe, and Chinese Federation have the luck of the United States, and the technological/logistical advantages of Draka (regardless of how unfair it is)

Well that's certainly... different. The nobility seems very odd, though I had some similar ideas with regards to pacification of the west (i.e. take a certain amount of land and you get a noble title).
For me, it's a bit more... straightforward.
  • Barons are in charge of cities and towns, and their titles are usually hereditary, but can be simply appointed for life to be put in the lords. Barons sometimes run their towns, but almost always have a Vice-Mayor, who can be anything from an executive assistant to the person who actually runs things.
  • Viscounts are in charge of cities that are also counties. Viscount is almost always a courtesy title, granted to the son of an Earl. The only reason it would be held not as courtesy is via a writ of acceleration from the Emperor.
  • Earls are in charge of counties. Earl is a hereditary title.
  • Margraves/Marquis are Earls in charge of what was once border areas, often times having larger counties. This is also hereditary
  • Dukes are in charge of Duchies, large states equivalent to the OTL States in the US, Mexico, Brazil, etc.
  • Grand Dukes are Dukes who have some connection to the Royal Family, often held by the brother or father of an Imperial Consort, or by the consort herself in some cases.
Certain areas are incorporated directly into Britannia and no longer have Viceroys. Areas 1, 2, 3, and 6 are all incorporated directly into the Empire and no longer have Viceroys or even Governor Generals.

I have more but I'll type that up later.

We see people appointed noble title too often for hereditary title to be too much of a thing, also Brittania seems to meritocratic at times too. I don't have any issue with your system (minus the margrave thing. Damn you Gottwald for making these things a problem)

Basically I used the British system of noble titles with some necessary adaptations for what we see on the show

Knighthoods are offered by Princes, Emperors, Earls, Barons, Viscounts. An Baron's Knight could very well be the equivalent of a Sherriff. Whereas a Prince's knight is head of their protection detail. Also I deliberately tried to make mine complicated because Brittania government is nothing if not complicated. Sure the Sovereign is absolute but everything else is a chaotic mess of overlapping Duchies, Baronies, and Vicounts

Grand Duke/Viceroy: Area (I would think Grand Duke is a title that can't be inherited, and is only temporary until a regions stabilizes to be in Brittania proper) (Viceroy in time of war)
Duke: State/Province
Earl: Major City (Margrave in time of War)
Viscount: County
Baron: City

Knights ranks are a mess but Knight, Grand Master, Knight Commander, Knight of Honor and others pervade. Given that the way knights are structured depends on who appoints them it's a mess

I just thought of another way. Portugal sided with Britain in the Napoleonic Wars... and like the HBE... they fled to Brazil. With the lack of other European Royals to continue the bloodlines, intermarriage with British/Brittanian nobles was inevitable. Eventually the two houses were one in the same and the nations were in personal union in say... 1894. Therefore Brittania has a huge leg up in Latin America.

One thing I could never figure out is where Britannia got the Holy title from, only thing I could gather is that after the Euro Republican forces kicked out the Vatican, they moved to Brittania and crowned an Emperor declaring him the first Holy Brittanian Emperor.
Maybe its just from Anglicanism. It's no longer 'holy' by any means during Charles' reign, but the title and name stuck.

And so you reckon the two Americas would be the 'core' territories of Britannia, with everywhere else dealing with rebels? I assume a lot would be assimilated Latinos then, which does make sense, and I noted it in the OP, since we see in the show that Britannia is not a racist empire. The exiled Brazil being a leg up also works with my idea of the House of Braganza moving there.

I still wouldn't have the EU really unite until the 1920s after some big war (WW1 analogue was hinted in CC's flashbacks, that's where I got my idea from), before then it would still exist but it would be France and other European powers carving up Africa and other places. It would explain why its such a divided entity.

Maybe the reason that they're allowed to marry multiple consorts is a bastardisation of the Mormon's Plural Marriage? I mean, the capital is in the Southwest (judging by where the capital was placed in Episode 22 of R2, it looked to be about halfway between Pheonix and LA, which comes to about where Yuma is, so Pendragon is in Yuma for me).

Maybe the reason that they're allowed to marry multiple consorts is a bastardisation of the Mormon's Plural Marriage? I mean, the capital is in the Southwest (judging by where the capital was placed in Episode 22 of R2, it looked to be about halfway between Pheonix and LA, which comes to about where Yuma is, so Pendragon is in Yuma for me).

Yeah that's easily explained by a Mormon conversion or the Mormons getting a Royal patron. That Emperor of the 1860s or 1880s was very wealthy Colorado Silver and Gold was under the PERSONAL purview of him, and he got to elevate his wives and consorts to a noble rank above many of his enemies in the court.

However I just can't see Yuma or anywhere in Arizona being made the Imperial Capital. Denver makes more sense due to it's material wealth and crossroads. Arizona was hard to live in, at least until the 1940s

Maybe its just from Anglicanism. It's no longer 'holy' by any means during Charles' reign, but the title and name stuck.

And so you reckon the two Americas would be the 'core' territories of Britannia, with everywhere else dealing with rebels? I assume a lot would be assimilated Latinos then, which does make sense, and I noted it in the OP, since we see in the show that Britannia is not a racist empire. The exiled Brazil being a leg up also works with my idea of the House of Braganza moving there.

I still wouldn't have the EU really unite until the 1920s after some big war (WW1 analogue was hinted in CC's flashbacks, that's where I got my idea from), before then it would still exist but it would be France and other European powers carving up Africa and other places. It would explain why its such a divided entity.

A world War I in Europe could easily be explained by being a conflict between Russia (which kept it's tsarist tendencies, which Europe hated) and the European Universe. The conflict is never stated as being exactly World War I, and besides being in Eastern Europe nothing is stated. C.C. could have just been on the front lines of the Euro-Russian War. Eventually Russia lost (Thank Nicholas II again) and Russia was broken into constituent Republics and assimilated into Euro Universe... In fact may be that's where the name comes from. Before it was the Alliance of European Republics or something, but being the first nation to ever conquer ALL of Europe, they renamed themselves as Euro Universe... oh and you know those Wartime measures allowing the European Parliament emergency powers... just somehow never get rescinded, and Geneva becomes the Capital of the European Universe.

I think I'll continue the map incorporating our ideas.

A world War I in Europe could easily be explained by being a conflict between Russia (which kept it's tsarist tendencies, which Europe hated) and the European Universe. The conflict is never stated as being exactly World War I, and besides being in Eastern Europe nothing is stated. C.C. could have just been on the front lines of the Euro-Russian War. Eventually Russia lost (Thank Nicholas II again) and Russia was broken into constituent Republics and assimilated into Euro Universe... In fact may be that's where the name comes from. Before it was the Alliance of European Republics or something, but being the first nation to ever conquer ALL of Europe, they renamed themselves as Euro Universe... oh and you know those Wartime measures allowing the European Parliament emergency powers... just somehow never get rescinded, and Geneva becomes the Capital of the European Universe.

Why do you keep calling it the Euro-Universe? It hasn't been called that in nearly a decade, it's called Europia United now.

Why do you keep calling it the Euro-Universe? It hasn't been called that in nearly a decade, it's called Europia United now.

I watched Code Geass when it first came out, and it only got that name during Akito, it's old habit over 6 years in the making before Akito ever appeared.

But I dislike both names. Euro-Universe is just nonsense. and Europia United... Seriously Europia? EUROPIA? Europa I could understand but EuropIa... just why... Of course we also have to remember this is a Japanese anime so mangling of a translation is par for the course, especially since a Japanese writer wrote it and then a fansubber or underpaid translator translated it back into English.

I watched Code Geass when it first came out, and it only got that name during Akito, it's old habit over 6 years in the making before Akito ever appeared.

But I dislike both names. Euro-Universe is just nonsense. and Europia United... Seriously Europia? EUROPIA? Europa I could understand but EuropIa... just why... Of course we also have to remember this is a Japanese anime so mangling of a translation is par for the course, especially since a Japanese writer wrote it and then a fansubber or underpaid translator translated it back into English.
I mean, Akito's English Dub still calls it Europia. So, bad translation or not, it's the official name.

Yeah that's easily explained by a Mormon conversion or the Mormons getting a Royal patron. That Emperor of the 1860s or 1880s was very wealthy Colorado Silver and Gold was under the PERSONAL purview of him, and he got to elevate his wives and consorts to a noble rank above many of his enemies in the court.

However I just can't see Yuma or anywhere in Arizona being made the Imperial Capital. Denver makes more sense due to it's material wealth and crossroads. Arizona was hard to live in, at least until the 1940s
What if some Mormon practices were just incorporated into Anglicanism? Basically, its a case of Anglicanism 'going native'. My theory is the palace in Arizona is really just a summer palace that Charles and his kids really love to use. Maybe it was built under his early reign. 'Pendragon' could just be a designation of wherever the Emperor's residence is. So the first may have been somewhere around OTL DC, or it was just Philadelphia.

Sounds good, and what if the Britannian Siberia (AKA Euro-Britannia) thing we see here is a rump Russian Empire under Britannian rule as I mentioned in my OP? Some, like Charles, want to integrate it directly for their world conquest (or at least he pretends to, he's just looking for Thought Elevators), which is why we see so many actual Britannians around it, meanwhile the more pragmatic Schneizel only really wants to have Britannia be the Homeland in the Americas and (eventually) the British Isles, with everything else maintaining some degree of local control. I think it makes sense too, rather than just assuming Britannia could march across Siberia like that. A lot of the Britannian units would be because of lend-lease, the bulk of the fighting would be done by Russian troops, we just don't see it. Also here we have what looks to be an Orthodox priest. It having a Britannia-esque flag could be explained by that just being the local Armed Forces' divisional banner. It getting a Grand Duke appointed by Charles isn't too much of a stretch either, he could just be the overseer of the operations, and remember this rump Russia I'm suggesting would essentially just be a Britannian puppet, complete with Britannian companies taking advantage of resources in Siberia.

What if some Mormon practices were just incorporated into Anglicanism? Basically, its a case of Anglicanism 'going native'. My theory is the palace in Arizona is really just a summer palace that Charles and his kids really love to use. Maybe it was built under his early reign. 'Pendragon' could just be a designation of wherever the Emperor's residence is. So the first may have been somewhere around OTL DC, or it was just Philadelphia.

Sounds good, and what if the Britannian Siberia (AKA Euro-Britannia) thing we see here is a rump Russian Empire under Britannian rule as I mentioned in my OP? Some, like Charles, want to integrate it directly for their world conquest (or at least he pretends to, he's just looking for Thought Elevators), which is why we see so many actual Britannians around it, meanwhile the more pragmatic Schneizel only really wants to have Britannia be the Homeland in the Americas and (eventually) the British Isles, with everything else maintaining some degree of local control. I think it makes sense too, rather than just assuming Britannia could march across Siberia like that. A lot of the Britannian units would be because of lend-lease, the bulk of the fighting would be done by Russian troops, we just don't see it. Also here we have what looks to be an Orthodox priest. It having a Britannia-esque flag could be explained by that just being the local Armed Forces' divisional banner. It getting a Grand Duke appointed by Charles isn't too much of a stretch either, he could just be the overseer of the operations, and remember this rump Russia I'm suggesting would essentially just be a Britannian puppet, complete with Britannian companies taking advantage of resources in Siberia.

That explanation works, with Denver, Philadelphia or wherever being the Bureaucratic, legislative capital and the Imperial Palaces just rotate based on the Emperor's choosing. Pendragon Palace could very well be in Yuma, Phoenix or Flagstaff. Of course the anime is really inconsistent about Pendragon too based on map location and surrounding geography

Yeah, that does sound like something Charles would do, declare something is his (like Rump Monarchical Russia, take another wife and push official maps, while everyone else is going "But you have nothing there..." Basically Brittanian Russia is being used as bait for a Casus Belli for war with Europe

Ugh... and you brought up the canon maps... the maps which clearly were made with a post 1991 map as a template and a paint bucket tool. So many words have been spent in trying to explain THOSE maps. There's a few ways to run with those maps. 1. is that the maps represent prospective allegiance and were made by a rushed news network filled with errors, hence it's unfinished state. 2. Europe is being evaluated based on it's constituent republics and not overall membership. 3. Burkina Faso has a death wish. This is probably going to come up sooner or later but how to rectify those borders with worldbuilding with a POD of at least the 18th century is VERY problematic.

It's simple, we toss out those post-1991 borders entirely. We do it based on a Europe of post-Napoleon. So Prussia might be around, a Confederation of the Rhine? I like to think to go with your suggestion, there was a League of Three Emperors vs France + friends war. So Russia, Austria-Hungary and Prussia. France wins, only Russia survives and is reduced to a rump Britannian puppet surviving past the Urals. Knight of One Bismarck Waldstein could be a Prussian exiled to Britannia who was named after the Prussian Chancellor.