Cobain Continues Redone: A Kurt Cobain Survives Timeline

May 18, 1996: Kevin Lyman, the organizer of the Warped Tour publishes a list of bands slated to perform during the 96 tour which officially starts on June 21st as part of the promotional material. While subject to change the list reveals a large group of 'new' bands trying to get their big break such as No Doubt and Sublime along with a few more established acts such as L7, Pennywise, and NOFX. What was especially notable was, with a few exceptions, a lack of rock bands directly associated with Grunge.

May 20, 1996: An article is published in People magazine about Kurt Cobain and his relationship with Charlize Theron, it proves to be the first mainstream printing of allegations and rumors that Cobain's relationship with Theron began before he left Courtney Love. The article cites an anonymous source who stated that their first meeting wasn't in Los Angeles but at an after party for the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards show and that an affair began soon after.

May 25th, 1996: Cobain denies the allegations, stating: "I was loyal to Courtney until she continuously went behind my back. While me and Charlize did know each other before me and Courtney filed for divorce, we never were in a relationship until after that."

May 27th, 1996: Alice in Chains is announced to be the headliner for the 96' Warped Tour.

May 28, 1996: When asked by a reporter during an interview to promote the debut of 2 Days in the Valley about the allegations in People Magazine, Charlize Theron denied it, stating. "I didn't even meet Kurt [Cobain] until this year when we bumped into each other in Los Angeles. I haven't even been to the MTV Music Videos Awards show. No... I think this is all coming from someone with an ax to grind, and I assure you that my lawyers are looking into this article to see what can be done about it."

May 29, 1996:
Inside Edition has a filler piece about the allegations of an affair between Cobain and Theron before his breakup with Courtney Love. They bring in a 'psychologist' to analyze the pair and the psychologist, Dr. Marsen notes that Theron and Cobain have more similarities than meets the eye. Both had troubled childhoods, both struggled to be taken seriously in their fields (music for and originally dancing for Theron before she became an actress) before rising to fame. Marsen demurred when asked to go in-depth into the mind of Courtney Love, noting that she was not his patient and currently in a psychiatric hospital.

May 30, 1996:
Charlize Theron and Kurt Cobain attend the premier of 2 Days in the Valley, a black comedy thriller in which Charlize plays the girlfriend of a hitman. While the film would get mostly negative reviews and barely break even at the box office, Theron's performance would be the only thing to receive consistent praise from the critics. At the premier Cobain and Theron were also praised for their style, Cobain for cutting a very good figure in a black tuxedo, Charlize for wearing a white Christian Dior gown. While a handful of Nirvana fans begin to call Cobain a sellout, others expressed support for seeing Kurt being visibly happy, plenty of Nirvana fans seeing Charlize Theron as preferable to Courtney Love.

June 4, 1996-Alice in Chains shoot a video for "Leave Me Alone", directed by Wayne Isham, who was expected to work with Metallica on the videos for their upcoming album Load, but was edged out of that. The video is starkly lit and done in black and white.

June 6, 1996-"Humans Being", the Van Halen single from Twister, is released to radio stations and MTV prior to a single release. The song becomes their 12th Number One on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Charts, and their 10th with Sammy Hagar. Not too long after, it is announced that Hagar is out of the band, and that new tracks are being recorded for an upcoming greatest hits compilation with David Lee Roth, leading to speculation that a full-fledged reunion is in the works.

June 8, 1996-Howard Stern devotes an episode of his show to talking about the situation regarding Cobain, Love and Charlize Theron. "I find it quite ludicrous that Courtney is suing us," Stern demurs. "After all, we know that she did it, that she went and screwed Trent, and she's been going to town with everyone in her sight. What reason could she possibly have to keep this up?" Robin Quivers pointedly remarks, "She really is just a nasty piece of work. I don't think anyone can make her happy. It won't be long until even her bandmantes can't stand her any longer."

June 11th, 1996: Alice in Chains lead singer Layne Staley speaks out in support of Cobain. "Me and Kurt are pretty good friends and I know he ain't the cheating type. That would go to Courtney. I'm 100% certain him and Charlize got together after Kurt and Courtney filed for divorce, I'm tellin' ya."

June 15th, 1996: Alice in Chains heads off across America for a two week tour across 10 major cities before the Warped tour commences on July 4th.

June 19th, 1996: While in Moscow, Russia, several Love supporters hijack Nirvana's concert there and must be removed by security.

June 20th, 1996-Cobain meets with Russian President Boris Yeltsin. During the conversation, the two talk about folk music and compare Russian folk songs to Delta bluesmen. Cobain makes sure not to rub anything in concerning Yeltsin's drinking problem.

June 22nd, 1996-The Nirvana tour comes to an end in Warsaw, Poland at their national stadium.

June 28th, 1996-The Kiss Alive/Worldwide Tour begins with a sold-out concert at Tiger Stadium in Detroit, with Stone Temple Pilots opening.

July 1st, 1996-Cobain is seen on the set of The Devil's Advocate, and mugs for pictures with Al Pacino. This of course only fuels the speculation of the state of his relationship with Theron.

July 2, 1996: It was announced by Courtney Love's legal team that the lawsuit against Howard Stern was to be 'settled out of court'. Rumors swirled in the tabloids that to get out of the, by now obvious, humiliating defeat that she faced in a trial, Love agreed to drop the suit in exchange for paying Stern's legal fees.

July 3, 1996: MTV News reports on rumors that Eric Erlandson of Hole was planning to start his own band with Patty Schmel and Melissa Auf der Mar. All three members of Hole refuse to comment.

July 4, 1996:
The Vans Warped Tour 96 began it's two month tour of the United States in Detroit, while Alice in Chains was seen as the main draw, quite a few other bands were on the roster for the traveling rock festival, and for a lot of them this would be a career defining time.

July 5, 1996: Courtney Love was released from psychiatric care, having spent two months receiving psychiatric assistance along with a strict regiment of weaning off of her various addictions and intense drug counseling. Courtney retreated to a friend's house in Seattle, still facing the divorce from her husband which had been delayed due to her involuntary admission into the psych ward. Courtney attempted to call her bandmates but none of them would take her calls, she tried to call her husband but the number had been disconnected.

July 6, 1996: Courtney Love issues a statement to press, "Yesterday I was released from psychiatric care after a two month involuntary hold. I spent two months healing and confronting the many bad decisions that I have made in the last few years under the influence of heroin, alcohol, and other drugs. I apologize to anyone and everyone that I have hurt and disappointed because of my behavior. I am healing though and I promise that I will try to be better."

July 7, 1996: MTV teases a few bands that had agreed to play at this years MTV Music Videos Awards in late August, among the acts (subject to change) are Alanis Morrisette, Beck, LL Cool J, Metallica, Hootie and the Blowfish, and Nirvana.

July 8, 1996: As the Warped Tour continued to play to sold out crowds, the music industry took notice of the crowds of young adults and teenagers and their reactions to the various bands. A pattern was starting to emerge, that while Alice in Chains was doing very for itself, the growing audience was very excited about the very NOT grunge bands such as Sublime, No Doubt, NOFX, and several others. A few executives began to wonder if 'Grunge' was nearing its sell-by-date, noting that even the biggest acts such as Nirvana were getting more experimental in their sound, whereas bands like Soundgarden and Hole were falling apart due to in-fighting, and Pearl Jam wasn't PLAYING in North America this year due to a dispute with Ticketmaster.

July 9, 1996: The tabloids began publishing rumors that Layne Staley was seen getting 'cozy' with Gwen Stefani, lead singer of No Doubt, during the Warped Tour. Both Staley and Stefani refuse to comment.

July 20th, 1996-"Weird Al" Yankovic releases a video for the single "Callin' In Sick", as a double video with "Amish Paradise". The former song is a general parody of grunge, including the opening of "Come As You Are."

July 24th, 1996-The MTV Video Music Awards are moved back to September 4th in order to allow time for Kiss to set up their finale set, which will be held under the Brooklyn Bridge. Rumors as to whether Van Halen will appear in some form, with or without David Lee Roth, begin swirling.

July 25th, 1996-During a visit to Vancouver, Cobain meets Australian group INXS, recording a new album with Bruce Fairbairn producing. Cobain becomes especially friendly with frontman Michael Hutchence, especially in terms of dealing with media frenzy. Hutchence was currently under scrutiny for his relationship with Paula Yates, former wife of Bob Geldof.

July 31st, 1996-A single from the Cobain/Michael Stipe album is released to radio, entitled "Looking Glass."

August 6th, 1996: The Cobain/Stipe collaboration album; Stained Ceiling, is released nationwide. Several critics notice a significant departure in Cobain's songwriting, with less "three-chord" grunge and more "ethereal, acoustic type songs." While sales are mediocre, the reception is highly positive for the collaboration.

August 9th, 1996: Edwards and Hunt begins filming in Northern California, with an expected release date of sometime in July 1997.

August 14th, 1996: Eric Erlandson announces that Hole will be dissolved, with Patty Schmel and Melissa Auf der Mar, departing with him to create their new band; "Splemain".

August 19th, 1996: Cobain and Love's divorce is finalized. Cobain is awarded full custody of both of the couple's children, while Love will get supervised visitation rights once a week.

August 24th, 1996-Splemain begins to write and record material for their first album together without Love.

August 29th, 1996-Van Halen are confirmed to appear at the MTV VMAs, with David Lee Roth joining the other three members.

August 31st, 1996-Nirvana meet the members of Metallica, also confirmed to be at the VMAs to promote their album Load and its lead single, "Until It Sleeps." Cobain teases them for their new short hair style.

September 1st, 1996-Nirvana rehearses at SIR Studios in New York City to prepare for the VMAs.

I think that's up to the author, but I think quite a bit is still the same. However, Clear Channel/iHeartMedia doesn't become a monopoly powerhouse that buys all the radio stations and dictates what they play, giving legacy acts better hope to still be relevant.

September 3, 1996: Filming for 'The People vs. Larry Flint' wraps with a tentative limited release date set for late November.

September 4, 1996:
The 1996 MTV Video Music Awards are held at Radio City Hall in New York, the Preshow is handled by No Doubt, a 'new' band that generated good buzz on the Warped Tour. No Doubt's performance of their singles 'Just a Girl' and 'Spiderwebs' were well received and would help launch the band's career in the mainstream.

Kurt Cobain and Charlize Theron arrived at the awards ceremony, Kurt dressed down as usual for these things in a pair of ratty jeans, an Alice in Chains t-shirt, and wearing a brown bomber jacket over it. Charlize wore a dark blue mini-dress and said to the press that this was her first time at the Awards show so she dressed up for it, a reference to the rumors claiming that she met Kurt here last year. When asked why he didn't wear a suit like he did at the premier of Theron's movie, Kurt said, "This time I won the coin toss."

The ceremony itself, infamous for surprises and shocks, did not disappoint. The Smashing Pumpkins had nine nominations for 'Tonight Tonight' which they would perform during the show and won in six of the nine categories, Effects, Direction, Art Direction, Breakthrough, Cinematography, and Video of the Year.

The biggest surprise was the appearance of the entire original line up of Van Halen, including David Lee Roth and the announcement that the group was back together and going to hit the studio for a reunion album.

While Alice in Chains didn't perform that year, they did get nominations for 'Again' in the Hard Rock, Group Video, and Viewers Choice but didn't win any of them. Layne Staley with Kevin Bacon at his side presented the Best New Artist award on stage (won by Alannis Morrisette).

Metallica performed 'Until it Sleeps' and snagged the Moonman for 'Best Hard Rock' video (presented to them by Tupac Shakur), and also presented the 'Best Rap Video' award (which went to Coolio).

One of the most memorable performances came during Nirvana's performance of 'You Know You're Right', with Weird Al Yankovic dressed as Kurt Cobain with Kris Novoselic and David Grohel performing 'Callin' in Sick' seemingly as an unannounced bait and switch... Until Kurt Cobain begins singing along with Weird Al from behind the stage on a mic and joins them, Kurt finishes out the song with Weird Al who bows and leaves the stage, letting Nirvana do their set.

Nirvana was nominated in several categories for 'You Know You're Right' and won three Moonmen, 'Best Alternative' video, 'Best Group' video and 'Viewers Choice'.

The show's biggest performance was done by KISS, which did 'Rock and Roll All Nite' via a live broadcast from underneath the Brooklyn Bridge and also closed out the ceremony.

September 5, 1996: Bradley Nowell, the lead singer of Sublime was found by his wife Tory Dendekker face down on the bathroom floor, suffering from a heroin overdose. He had already had a near-fatal overdose in May and once again was discovered in time to save his life with a trip to the hospital. In the aftermath she was able to convince him to enter rehab.

Last edited:
September 7, 1996-Tupac Shakur is fatally shot after the Mike Tyson/Bruce Seldon match in Las Vegas. He clings to life in a coma for several days until passing on.

September 8, 1996-While in the Virgin Megastore in Times Square, Cobain bumps into The Notorious B.I.G.. Cobain, who has precious little knowledge about hip hop, is recommended some of the best of its early beginnings to learn. While there, Cobain asks Biggie about Tupac, and the 24-year-old rapper expresses deep regret about not doing more to quash the brewing feud in between them both.

September 10, 1996-The lead single from Van Halen's Best Of Volume I, "Me Wise Magic", is premiered on Howard Stern's show weeks before its release.

September 13, 1996-Filming on The Devil's Advocate moves to the soundstages in Hollywood, with some brief location shoots in Gainesville and Micanopy, Florida.

September 17, 1996-Courtney Love is photographed at a golf party hosted by OJ Simpson for various friends. The media rake Love over the coals for conversing with the acquitted former football star.

September 19, 1996: Filming for 'Feeling Minnesota' wrapped, the production proved to be quite troubled when Keanu Reeves bowed out to do 'The Devil's Advocate' and was replaced by unknown actor Freddie Prinze Jr. The film's release date was set for mid March 1997.

September 20, 1996: Reports of continue in-fighting amongst the members of Soundgarden continue to swirl in the music press, the rumors gain more credence when during a performance in Boulder where bassist Ben Shepherd throws his guitar into the air in frustration due to equipment malfunction and begins yelling at Chris Cornell before storming off stage.

Last edited:
September 27th, 1996: Love is spotted with Simpson once more in Los Angeles, with rumors immediately forming that she's sleeping with him.

September 30th, 1996: Cobain offers to do a collaboration with Notorious BIG, feeling bad that he lost his friend.

October 1, 1996-People magazine's front cover is plastered with a picture of Love and Simpson, with the headline "Oh No-J! Courtney Loves Simpson?"

October 3, 1996-Cobain contributes some guitar to a track entitled "Going Back To Cali," in which Biggie seems to contemplate visiting Los Angeles personally to quash the coastal feud. They also work on a track entitled "You're Nobody (Till Somebody Kills You)".

October 7, 1996-Cobain arrives at a pre-release party for The Cable Guy and is shown commiserating with Chris Farley. During the party, Farley lets it be known that after Edwards & Hunt is wrapped, he's looking for something dramatic to sink his teeth in. A script about Fatty Arbuckle by David Mamet is soon offered to him.

Last edited: