Children of Apollo: From the Earth, to the Heavens

Introduction to Part IV: Evolution, or Revolution?
2qH5NvFwNlKWtm5_pN-7RrBfHdEFZSf4tbg2RXzQpDqhFvbDtygM1efhxtFbjHDFI44ExBZXROwdYSHxbCNIPihpCpPZyBH_0ykf6TkOdqChHFpAtI0npjBHZ1Z3dQ2WEpGbLS5HX7hYkBY0Lrgkqw
Lj6_BVS-9jvedEu_O9rchqSHu74wuKfaZk8B64F4Ne_yOJ4dFxziVgY44jcg8hzYk638CVPS_RrdYIiZmuiQ4T4nktznvr0ntGsA2q9ZwqIEY-5B_PShiyfNQp31PwgDtPRvMV6J8mZyg55eimUjdw

National Aeronautics and
Space Administration
Washington, D.C.

TO:                Office of the President Elect Albert Gore                                                                                                                                                                                                                         November 28, 1992
                        Office of the Vice President Elect Patricia Schroeder

SUBJECT:   Climate-Neutral Power Proposal for the Coming Decades

The Argument For Space Based

Solar as the Power of the

Coming Century

TO:                Office of the President Elect Albert Gore                                                                                                                                                                                                                         November 28, 1992
SUBJECT:   Climate-Neutral Power Proposal for the Coming Decades

Following the successful launching of the SPD in March of last year, the program has yielded extremely promising results. 48 Megawatts of stable, near constant power has been received from the platform by the receiver near the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory facility. This was compared to an expected value of 50 MW, and deemed an extraordinarily positive finding. Space Based Solar Power has been proven as a concept, and if developed further it may provide the long term, carbon neutral solution to this nation’s energy production and consumption needs.

We believe that Space Based Solar Power serves as the best potential solution to one of your campaigns biggest policies, becoming climate-neutral. In the coming decades, future Second Generation Reusable Launch Vehicles (Second Gen RLV’s) show the promise to lower integration, launch, and reuse costs dramatically. It is the belief of this agency that launch costs could be driven down to nearly a tenth of current values. When fully utilized, STS has the potential to launch 90,000 kilograms for 69.6 million dollars, or nearly 775 dollars per kilogram. Second Generation RLV’s may lower this number to a mere 95 dollars per kilogram, utilizing advanced heat shields derived from the shuttle, full reuse, and cost-saving designs. As such, launching large payloads into orbit becomes easier, and the costs of doing so lower dramatically.

It is on the back of these predictions that we anticipate the costs to develop a Space Based Solar Platform will in fact become equal or less than an equivalent oil or natural gas platform given sufficient up-front investment. These launch systems will be massive, comparing to the STS today, as Saturn V did to the launchers before it. The rockets will also need to be mass produced, requiring a production rate similar in scope to civilian airliners. However, despite these challenges, the agency firmly believes that with commercial partners, the DOE, and DARPA such a rocket can in fact be developed. That is why I am requesting the development of such a launcher, one capable of meeting the program's intense demands, and serving as a jumping off point into a new revolution in spaceflight. If approved, NASA will begin research alongside a list of commercial and government partners into the development of such vehicles, their requirements, and the necessary funding to pursue the program.

Many tech demonstrators along the path are likely to be required. These demonstrators will be determined during this early “Phase Zero” before ultimately being built in Phase IA. Phase IB will see the finalization of vehicle design(s), before their ultimate deployment in Phase II. Phase IB will also see the designing of a modular Solar Power Platform (SPP) design, followed by its eventual launching late in Phase II. Phase IIA will see the full testing of the Second Generation RLV’s, similar in scope to the slow ramping up of flight rate this agency did with STS and Shuttle between 1979 and 1985. Once brought to a sufficient launch rate, Phase IIB will begin, and the first SPP demonstrator platform, the basis for future platforms, will begin assembly.

We ask humbly that you consider our proposal, and that you consider the potential ramifications of pursuing it. If the proposal meets your requirements as we think it may, we ask that you consider requesting congress fund Phase IA of the development with the utmost haste when you assume office.

President: I Albert Arnold Gore do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God.

Vice President: I Patricia Nell Scott Schroder do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear full faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this observation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mister President and Madam Vice President of these United States!

HEW_MN3lkzACQ2m57GaxQqLhW7dIErppkrqwKF3oUaZ8uZYLfh-D9MEiw13YuvtkFIyjIaN35tuflgcZ-5Xkjjkjtugmohr60_MPLCyygPt5rg-HpFmPxXG0rIxBtoLXX70Ykdm97Iy_pZgNA6wqww

(Winning Presidential candidate's campaign button, 1992)

Children of Apollo Part IV:
Evolution, or Revolution?
((Plus Fish Dream), Drop Nineteens)

Last edited: