Challenge: Massive Persian empire survives to modern day

1597098709707.png

For reference, here is a map of the territory that Persia must hold to complete this challenge.

With a POD of any point in history, is there any possible scenario (no matter how unlikely) in which a Persian polity with the borders pictured above can exist by the modern day?

What impact would such a state have on geopolitics? How do you think it's culture would develop? How would it handle nationalism? Do you see it becoming a thriving multicultural democracy with a high standard of living, an oppressive dictatorship teetering on the edge of collapse, or something else entirely? I'm very interested in everyone's thoughts on the matter.

View attachment 574187
For reference, here is a map of the territory that Persia must hold to complete this challenge.

With a POD of any point in history, is there any possible scenario (no matter how unlikely) in which a Persian polity with the borders pictured above can exist by the modern day?

What impact would such a state have on geopolitics? How do you think it's culture would develop? How would it handle nationalism? Do you see it becoming a thriving multicultural democracy with a high standard of living, an oppressive dictatorship teetering on the edge of collapse, or something else entirely? I'm very interested in everyone's thoughts on the matter.
Techically that is more a more massive Caliphate than Persia(i would say ottomans and make zero sense not hold the european side of Instabul), maybe a Post Ummayad Caliphate goes into a Perso-Islamic Empire

Extremely difficult....

Perhaps the following:

POD: Maodu of the Xiongnu is slain by his father Touaman of the Xiongnu when the former attempts to launch a coup upon his father after living in captivity with the Yuezhi-Gara.

Effect: The Yuezhi manage to keep the Xiongnu as a vassal state and conclude an existing alliance with the Han Dynasty in order to keep the Xiongnu, Wusun and Dong Hu in place. Yuezhi rule in Central Asia is assured for the short term and this does not permit the cascading invasions from the north.

Mithridates I continues his invasion of the Seleucid empire as otl and defeats Demetrius II. In Arachosia, the Eurcratides I is defeated in war by Menander I as otl, but his defeat is not followed by a fall of Bactria. Bactria remains a vassal of the Arsacid empire. Without the fall of the Arsacid vassal of Bactria, Mithridates I does not return east in order to see to the Saka or the Yuezhi. Instead, having captured Demetrius II and holding his life in his hand, Mithridates I in his last six years, launches an invasion of Syria with the intent of placing Demetrius II upon the throne of Syria and deposition of his brother Antiochus VII. This campaign is a major success as Mithridates I cuts a swath through Syria alongside an alliance with Egypt. Demetrius II is placed back on the throne in Antioch, however all lands from Duoro Europa until Damascus and Epiphaneia are occupied by the Arsacids and made into client states. The Seleucids themselves are made into vassals and Mithridates I marries his son Phraates to a Seleucid princess and perishes in 131 BCE. Phraates II succeeds him and with a Seleucid princes, attempts to maintain good relations with Demetrius II.

Phraates II perhaps puts down any rebellions in Bactria or keeps them as a good autonomous vassal. Meanwhile, House Suren, free from its disasters of otl, strike into the weakening Indian kingdom under Strato I and alongside the Bactrian kingdom, under a say, Diodotus III, are able to annex much land, with Bactria capturing Kashmir and the Surens capturing Arcahosia. For the next thirty years, the two chip away at India until they have formed a firm Indus border, concluding a friendly relation and division of India with themselves and the Shunga. To the north, the Arsacids already are the lords of the Kwarezm through their Saka allies, who will drift further into federation with the Arsacids in atl.

In the west, Phraates II focuses his efforts, attacking Armenia, Osroene and Adiabene. Allying with the Roman Republic against the Pontic kingdom and its ally, the Armenian kingdom comes with more benefits to the Arsacids, who are able to defeat both the Pontic state and the Armenians alongside the the Roman Republic, which gains the Bosporos, assured rule over the Aegean Sea and destroyed Pontus, a threat to their sovereignty. The Arsacids meanwhile move to make Armenia its vassal, which it completes by the end of the reign of Phraates II, who is succeeded by Mithridates II, who let us say crushes a rebellion in Syria under an Antiochus VIII and through his blood, claims the title of Seleucid emperor and settles his capitol at Seleucia.

This is the best way to restore the borders of the Persian empire without having to defeat the Roman Republic.

I mean, that's basically the borders of the Abbasid Caliphate with some relatively minor changes (plus Anatolia; minus Tunisia and Libya).
Abbasids850.png

The Abbasids were heavily dependent upon Persian bureaucrats and the old Persian aristocracy from the very beginnings of their caliphate, so perhaps if it becomes customary for the Abbasid caliphs to have more Persian wives, you could end up with a much more thoroughly Persianized Caliphate. al-Ma'mun had a Persian mother, so the precedent is there. Tunis and Tripoli under the Aghlabids was de-facto autonomous anyways after 800 so if they become fully independent and/or still get overthrown by the Fatimids or conquered by some other Maghrebi dynasty, and then this Persianized Abbasid Caliphate conquers Anatolia, then you get a Persian (or rather, Persian-Arab) dynasty with the borders you want.

Otherwise, I could see either a Seljuk or Timurid wank resulting in an empire with the territory indicated. Both dynasties were technically Turkish but were already highly Persianized.

Something happens that screws the Ottomans over horribly (invasion by Timur, civil war and finally a crusade?).

Thus, Ismail I, who wouldn't become an alcoholic since the defeat at Chaldiran would never happen (thus reaching a ripe old age instead of dying at the age of 36), and his Safavid successors conquer and unite the Middle East, eventually reaching the borders shown in the map.

The only big problem is that they would be a Shiite dynasty ruling an overwhelmingly Sunni region. Unless religious tolerance is adopted and quickly, this empire would soon collapse.

Last edited: