Challenge: make Segways the preferred means of transport in the West

Presumably you need to increase the speed, put it in a dome so it can be ridden in the rain, and reduce the price. Also, here's a random Google link about it.

"
Why was Segway a failure?
Segway failed because it did not focus on any one application, and develop that market as it enhanced and improved the product. ... By winning over users in the initial market Segway could have made those initial users very loyal, outspoken customers who would recommend the product again and again - even at a $4,000 price.
"

Segway had the biggest hype campaign in tech history. For months and months people had debates on slashdot about what "the most revolutionary product mankind ever conceived meant". "It will for all times change urban development". Big speculation it was some kind of working perpetual engine or a stirling engine. The raspberries and eye rolls when it turned out to be a damn scooter. I pictured mom and her brood going to the supermarket like little duckies. Nope not buying it.

^ That's a joke. But seriously, there is just something goofy about those things, that I can't put my finger on. They have the aura of something that would be used by the elderly or infirm. Nothing against the elderly or infirm, but it's not really a helpful association for marketing transportation, where you usually want to create an image of free-spirited autonomy.

marathag

Banned
Compare Segway sales to that of mobility scooters.
Make Segway a medicare payable device by making it a trike or cart, and sales would skyrocket

^ That's a joke. But seriously, there is just something goofy about those things, that I can't put my finger on. They have the aura of something that would be used by the elderly or infirm. Nothing against the elderly or infirm, but it's not really a helpful association for marketing transportation, where you usually want to create an image of free-spirited autonomy.
I always associated it with some fat Paul Blart-type mall cop who goes around telling people to stop having fun. Just something perpetually "uncool" about them.

I always associated it with some fat Paul Blart-type mall cop who goes around telling people to stop having fun. Just something perpetually "uncool" about them.

Yeah, and apparently they are still used by security guards etc.

Which makes sense, and I'm glad they've found a purpose, but let's face it, jobs like that are basically a punch-line(*). Another unhelpful association, from a marketing standpoint.

(*) I say this as someone who was working as a minimum-wage janitor in his 30s. Honourable work, but no one ever used guys like me to advertise a hip new lifestyle product.