Capital cities separated from rest of country

I've kicked around this idea with Tokyo with no response. That's okay; I think it's a loose situation that occasionally shows up in anime and not even all that often. (specifically in Neon Genesis Evangelion, but that was more like a couple iterations of the city getting destroyed, and due to supernatural reasons in Rahxephon, which is a very NGE-influenced series anyway).

But there is at least one real world example- Berlin, after World War II, (but still not as fun as if it's Berlin vs. the rest of Germany) and in AH the fate of Russia in the Turtledove short story "Les Mortes d'Arthur": there's a People's Republic of Moscow which is separated from neo-tsarist "Siberia", which is the rest of Russia. Though based on this wiki it's more like an east vs. rest division, and not like the greater Moscow metropolitan area vs. all of Russia, which is what I had imagined when I first read the story. Still, branding your rump state after one city is still very interesting to me, it hints that their rump state is most renowned for holding on to the capital, because otherwise not call yourselves the Soviet Union still?

So yeah let's think of situations where a city's capital becomes an enclave controlled by a different government from the rest of the country.

Maybe an anti-decolonization thing? Cape Town as the only city of a Boer Volkstaat, Algiers as the last stand of French Algeria (wouldn't Oran or Constantine be a better pick?)? Rump Republic of Vietnam in Saigon instead of Vung Tau? Kabul somehow remains in the hands of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (absurd)? Or what if Monte Carlo secedes from Monaco.

That's not easy post 1900. Technically, Canberra, Kuala Lumpur and Washington DC are separate capital cities in special states or territories.
Berlin wasn't capital when surrounded by East Germany,
There might have been some examples in the Yugoslavian wars, where it happened, but I don't have enough knowledge to be sure.
Pre 1900, some English counties included enclaves in other neighbouring counties, and enclaves were more common in mainland European countries.

The 1929 Lateran Treaty awards the Holy See a part of the former territory of the Papal States. The territory, meant to give the Church access to the sea, is not large, but it's larger than the OTL area of Vatican City. It's a bit farfetched, but I think it satisfies the OP.

For whatever reason, Singapore and the Bornean states unite with Malaya as constituents on par with it (rather than by expanding the federation) and stick the federal capital in the former. This goes exactly as poorly as it did IOTL.

Cape Town as the only city of a Boer Volkstaat
Not really. White Afrikaans speakers in Cape Town are a small proportion. More whites are English speaking, more Afrikaans speakers are coloured. So can't get a volkstaat there. The main Volkstaat proposals covered parts of the Northern Cape, although some of the weirder versions extended a strip from Kimberley to northern Pretoria.

Berlin wasn't capital when surrounded by East Germany,
Initially, Berlin was still the official capital, with Bonn merely the 'temporary seat of Federal institutions'.

You might be able to do something weird with China, if the Republic somehow manages to hold on to a city on the mainland and considers it to be the capital to reinforce their claim to be the sole legitimate Chinese government.

Initially, Berlin was still the official capital, with Bonn merely the 'temporary seat of Federal institutions'.

You might be able to do something weird with China, if the Republic somehow manages to hold on to a city on the mainland and considers it to be the capital to reinforce their claim to be the sole legitimate Chinese government.
I hadn't realised that - I'd always thought that Germany was effectively decapitalised during the occupation and then Bonn was assigned as capital when the Federal Rublic of Germany was formed because Berlin was impractical.
Read AH and learn about OTL!

Lagos being its own city-state separate from Nigeria- or the nations that emerge from Nigeria- would be really interesting.

Prior to 1906 Lagos was a separate colony. By the early 1900s the little colony had native lawyers, native members of the legislature, native merchants, and native run news papers. I think it had the ingredients to become a Hong Kong or Singapore esque success story had it not become the capital of (Southern) Nigeria.

I've read that a lot of internal migration in Nigeria leads to Lagos being incredibly cosmopolitan and diverse, including from young people who settle there after their national service year during their bachelor's degree.

I wonder if similarly Karachi could also exist separate from Pakistan proper, what with the Muhajirs and all. There is this (probably fabricated) plot to form an autonomous homeland-

Post Brexit vote the City of London secedes from the UK in order to retain its status as a world financial centre? There were fears all the international banks ect would pull out at the time.

City of London Corporation vs. Papal Rome vs. Paris Commune. There's something to be said about how major cities eventually take on a character that transcends the rest of the nation...

Greece defeats Turkey in 1923 and gains the entire western Anatolian coast, while not being able to conquer Constantinople aka Istanbul.
Moving the Capital to Ankara would be considered a sign of weakness in this scenario, so it remains in the now detached city, nevermind it being rather unpractical.