• Luna Trail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Horizon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crazy Boris

Banned
I'm not sure about Medicine Hat as a name (feels weird to name a spacecraft after a town, that would be like if a space shuttle was called "Jacksonville"), but that does give me another idea.

Iniskim Umaapi. It's the Blackfoot name for the Majorville Medicine Wheel in Southern Alberta, which is the oldest surviving medicine wheel, and one of the oldest surviving manmade structures in the Americas, being about the same age as Stonehenge. Both archaeologically and culturally it's a pretty big deal, though somewhat obscure, even within Alberta, being a spiritual center for god knows how many different nations over the millennia, sort of making it a link between past and present.

what are your guy's choices on naming a joint US-Canadian lunar program?
The top choice is Project Frontier and New Horizon

My current choices are Frontier, Final Frontier, Igaluk (Inuit god of the moon), Pioneer, Neptune, Voyager, Sedna, New Horizon, Tycho

If it was Canadian only Igaluk would be the easy choice, second to Project Nanuq,
I think the US might have political issues with any Native-based name

I'm trying to avoid the Artemis and other Greek/European pantheon names [Neptune is there as it's inspired by the sub from grey lady down]

I don't have much interesting European pantheons, just because its soo messy (intuit gods are insanely cool)

NASA already has the Pioneer program with the space probes.

I think Frontier is a good choice, being significant to both nations.

My thoughts,

I'm not sure about Medicine Hat as a name (feels weird to name a spacecraft after a town, that would be like if a space shuttle was called "Jacksonville"), but that does give me another idea.

Iniskim Umaapi. It's the Blackfoot name for the Majorville Medicine Wheel in Southern Alberta, which is the oldest surviving medicine wheel, and one of the oldest surviving manmade structures in the Americas, being about the same age as Stonehenge. Both archaeologically and culturally it's a pretty big deal, though somewhat obscure, even within Alberta, being a spiritual center for god knows how many different nations over the millennia, sort of making it a link between past and present.
I think in general (just my opinion), any native basted name would have trouble in the US Congress and with the US public (the only name that could be used is Sedna imo) as a program), from just the hard time saying it to genuine racism, Fox News would never shut up about the naming

I'm not trying to Criticise US-Native Relations (Canadian here, we have a huge Relations problem)

NASA already has the Pioneer program with the space probes.

I think Frontier is a good choice, being significant to both nations.

My thoughts,
My top 4

Operation Luna Trail (Like the Oregon and Canadian westward trails) [thought of it last night]
or Operation Lunar Trail my favorite
New Horizon (a play on the fact it's a different horizon), current standin
Frontier
Final Frontier (because star trek 5 is the greatest star trek movie ever made, trek 2009 is the second best, as its a modern adaptation of the TOS era, the music being amazingly TOS derived)
That's not a joke, Final Frontier is a perfect encapsulation of the goofiness of the TOS era, which the other movies ignored or downplayed

Last edited:

Would be a good name for a medical infirmary module, but lucky would never be used, most space things have rules about naming, especially clarity of speech (for the black foot word

the English version could definitely be used, likely not by the US

Factor
Moose Factory
Flying Post
Medicine Hat
Gretsky
Factor is good
Moose factory sounds like a butcher shop
Flying Post is good, too good
Medicine hat, good for a space infirmary module or observation
Gretsky is good, but makes a precedent for naming after sports players and would be bad publicity if any negative media came out on Gretsky (imagine a ship named after Bill Cosby pre-2014), not saying it would ever happen, but it could (more harassment allegations then drugging woman, bad example)

so far my future naming list from this forum

Nanuq
Vimy (used as Vimy Ridge as it sounds way cooler
Flying Post
Champlain
Laura Secord
Lester B. Pearson
Jean Chrestien
Stephen Harper
i should just name a shuttle Parche, after the ridiculous us spy sub (the thing had skis to land on the sea floor)
Erebus
Terror
Franklin
Crozier
Parche
Halibut
Cod
Polar Bear (military shuttle)
Billy Bishop (military shuttle)
Tecumseh (military shuttle)
Louis Riel

Just want to let everyone know
I am continuing the TL that I made this naming thread for and have decided on Shuttle-2 names

Nanuq or Bonaventure (named after first shuttle)
Flying Post
Champlain
Laura Secord
Reconciliation

and for the heck of it
Rob Ford (seriously)

The OG ones are
Bonaventure
Freedom
Independence
Enterprise
Vimy Ridge

I kept the US ones the same as OTL outside of the USAF Shuttle
Grissom

Last edited:
Gretsky is good, but makes a precedent for naming after sports players and would be bad publicity if any negative media came out on Gretsky (imagine a ship named after Bill Cosby pre-2014), not saying it would ever happen, but it could (more harassment allegations then drugging woman, bad example)
I know it was a joke but Wayne Gretzky is one of those figures who is unimpeachable to be an elevated icon. Like Michael Jordan, or Tony Hawk. Certainly if scandals came out it would tarnish his star but he was likely under enough scrutiny to screen any of that out. Also, the same could be said about political or historical figures, plenty of them might have had tarnished or at least problematic histories.

I know it was a joke but Wayne Gretzky is one of those figures who is unimpeachable to be an elevated icon. Like Michael Jordan, or Tony Hawk. Certainly if scandals came out it would tarnish his star but he was likely under enough scrutiny to screen any of that out. Also, the same could be said about political or historical figures, plenty of them might have had tarnished or at least problematic histories.
The issue is that naming ships after sports players sets a precident for others, same with naming stuff after politicians
The US submarine fleet used to be named for fish, for a while they shotgunned senator names in (Richard B russel), and even named one after Jimmy Carter (which is the spy sub that got a unit citation from the president during peacetime)

People also like ruining things, say gretzky said something bad 40 years ago, depedning on the media portayel people might flip out
then you would have to rename the ship
or the person could do something stupid
The recent James Webb telescope has been lobbied to be renamed because Webb was alleged to be homophobic in 1960 (nearly everybody would be back then)

I do understand what you mean by naming, I want to use some recentish names for my timelines, but its best to keep things 100 years ago
hence Vimy Ridge and not Juno or Juno Beach, not using Arrow (overrated)
I want to name a ship after Chris Jericho, but its best to wait till the person is dead before naming something after him/her