• Final Frontier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luna Trail

• New Horizon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking for names for 3 Canadian space shuttle orbiters I'm using in a a TL i am writing
the names I have so far
Maple Leaf
Bonaventure
Louis Riel
I'm saving the fourth orbiter's name as Tecumseh, after the Indian war chief
and for a military-only Orbiter, Billy Bishop

just wanted to see what the community has to say.

Bonaventure is a good one but Maple Leaf doesn’t really sound like the name of a shuttle and Louis Riel is probably way too controversial (being a rebel / traitor and all that).

why not name like the Royal Canadians Navy ships?
HMCS Quebec
HMCS Bonaventure
HMCS Ottawa
And give Military orbiter the name CF-105 Arrow

Last edited:
One of them should probably be Bluenose, named for the famous schooner, and another should be Anik or Nimiq, after the famous Canadian satellites.

There needs to be a balance of English and French, which places extra value on words that are the same in both languages and French words that are well-known to English speakers. So Bonaventure counts. I like Voyageur. Endeavour is the Canadian English spelling for a word that is the same in French; Aspiration is also the same in both languages (although it also means "suction" in French).

Last edited:
Looking for names for 3 Canadian space shuttle orbiters I'm using in a a TL i am writing

Ry01tank, another name you might consider for one of the space shuttle orbiter is Samuel de Champlain , who laid the foundations for the modern nation of Canada.
Wikipedia said:
“((Champlain was)) a French colonist, navigator, cartographer, draftsman, soldier, explorer, geographer, ethnologist, diplomat, and chronicler. He made between 21 and 29 trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and founded Quebec, and New France, on 3 July 1608. An important figure in Canadian history, Champlain created the first accurate coastal map during his explorations, and founded various colonial settlements.

Born into a family of sailors, Champlain began exploring North America in 1603…

From 1604 to 1607, he participated in the exploration and creation of the first permanent European settlement north of Florida, Port Royal, Acadia (1605).

Champlain was the first European to describe the Great Lakes, and published maps of his journeys and accounts of what he learned from the natives and the French living among the Natives.
David Hackett Fischer’s book “Champlain’s Dream” said this about the exploring exploits of Samuel de Champlain..
Champlain’s Dream said:
“But we remember Champlain mainly as a great explorer. On foot and by ship and canoe, he traveled through what are now six Canadian provinces and five American states. Over more than thirty years he founded, colonized, and administered French settlements in North America.”

“…Champlain was deeply drawn to the sea, even as he learned ow dangerous it could be. Like any experienced seaman, he wrote of the sea with deep respect, for he knew what it could do. His treatise on navigationis full of dire warnings and rueful lessons from hard experience. More tha a few passages of his journals describe his encounters with ice and fog in the North Atlantic, rocks and shoals on treacherous coasts, hurricanes in the West Indies, wild nor’easters in the Gulf of Maine, and sou’westers in the Bay of Biscay. He met huge waves on the Grand Bank, and white squalls that suddenly blew up in mid-ocean, out of a clear blue sky. He dealt with tides and currents beyond imagining, and shoal water on the fringes of four continents.”

the names I have so far
Maple Leaf
Bonaventure
Louis Riel
I'm saving the fourth orbiter's name as Tecumseh, after the Indian war chief
and for a military-only Orbiter, Billy Bishop

Why not name them after explorers? Canada has plenty of those.
D'Iberville
Palliser
Henry the Younger

Louis Riel seems unlikely given he was a religious zealot who took arms against Canada.

Thanks for all the feedback, I wasn't expecting this many
I thought I would address most of your posts
Bonaventure is a good one but Maple Leaf doesn’t really sound like the name of a shuttle and Louis Riel is probably way too controversial (being a rebel / traitor and all that).
Ya the TL started with one orbiter doing 87 missions from 85 to 2014 so having everyone will want to name it (whatever) would be kind of annoying, so my middle ground was being named after the symbol that graces our flag, and when I actually calculated out the flights, I realized that with good weather between May and September at the latest, it would be basically two flights a year out of Nova Scotia, so I gave Canada 3 orbiters, to have a rotation where the orbiters launch 2 weeks apart do refurbishment and fly a second time (with Canadian temperatures even with LRB'S I gave them May first to September 7th to launch, which is 129 days, and average orbiter maintenance was 100 days, so it is tight even with 3 refurbishment bays.

and after your post, I realized yes it does suck so I changed it
why not name like the Royal Canadians Navy ships?
HMCS Quebec
HMCS Bonaventure
HMCS Ottawa
And give Military orbiter the name CF-105 Arrow
Just wanted to say I love your work and am a big fan
I didn't name them after provinces/Cities because it would get viewed as favoritism "Space shuttle was called New York instead of California type situation"
I am an Arrow fan as well, but it seems like a boring name to give the shuttle, and I would rather commemorate a Canadian WW1 legend
but in the TL if I have Canada build more orbiters it will have the name,
Also, my naming convention for the orbiter numbers is CAN-OV-10x, so CF-105 is off the table
and as a firm believer in the Cool Names Matter Belief, HMCS Tecumseh doesn't ring as good
One of them should probably be Bluenose, named for the famous schooner, and another should be Anik or Nimiq, after the famous Canadian satellites.
Don't like the name Bluenose too much, and Anik already flew before so that's off the table, Nimiq is the name for my idea of the Canadian free flyer, like the original idea for the Columbus module

There needs to be a balance of English and French, which places extra value on words that are the same in both languages and French words that are well-known to English speakers. So Bonaventure counts. I like Voyageur. Endeavour is the Canadian English spelling for a word that is the same in French; Aspiration is also the same in both languages (although it also means "suction" in French).
I agree
in the TL the OTL Endeavor will be named Perseverance
Laura Secord
Never even thought of that
also, I posted the first entry
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-canadian-launch-service.536019/#post-23740918

The shuttle names are as Follows
Bonaventure
Louis Riel
Tecumseh

potential next Can-OVs include enterprise and Billy Bishop and Arrow, I seriously thought of Samuel de Champlain, but with how long the name is I have to revert to one of the rules of Endeavour naming, ease of use, which sounds silly until "Cold Lake, Bonaventure" vs "Cold Lake, Samuel de Champlain" and you say it to yourself A Bunch

Last edited:
How about Queen Elizabeth, or Lester Pearson, depending on who's in charge at Ottawa at the time? (I did toy with suggesting Pierre Trudeau, but thought in the end that would be a bit too 'on the nose').

‘Arcadia’, the big ‘Eh’ or ‘Sorry for the holes punched in the atmosphere’
never thought of Arcadia, big Eh is on the nose
How about Queen Elizabeth, or Lester Pearson, depending on who's in charge at Ottawa at the time? (I did toy with suggesting Pierre Trudeau, but thought in the end that would be a bit too 'on the nose').
too political, there is a reason why basically all the us carriers are named after presidents, (politics), and I really really don't want a Pierre Trudeau, I hate him and his son, and plus with the TL starting in 85, it would probably piss people off outside of his Fanclub
as with naming Queen Elizabeth, it might really piss of quebec

I'd go with Canadian explorers. Franklin, Fraser, Kelsey, MacKenzie, Thompson... and those are just the ones mentioned in "Northwest Passage"

Beaver was one of my picks but I didn't want a potential Euphemism as a name
Loonie I will write in as a student suggestion