• Final Frontier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luna Trail

• New Horizon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Headline: Re-entry was a bit rough on the Beaver.
literally my thought, it sounds good on paper, but with the double meaning it is really really wrong
like how the Germans thought Uranus was a good name, without realizing what it sounds like (naming it Hershal would have been fuckin hilarious, Jupiter, Saturn, Herhsal/George, Neptune)

Running some ideas between myself and @Brainbin, he suggested finding three different native-language words for "sky", "space," "star" or the like. Aurora would be another good one, a space phenomena visible through much of the country.

Samuel de Champlain
If you think that's too long, you could just use "Champlain".

in the TL the OTL Endeavor will be named Perseverance
I don't think that would happen, there was a strong desire in the naming of OV-105 to continue the "ships of exploration" theme from the other Shuttles. Out of a total of 109 finalists and runners up across US states and territories (each state selected their own winners for elevation to NASA's attention, though some only picked one) Endeavour was 31 of them. Resolution, the next most common, had 12.

Remaining submissions with more than one elevation to national level were:
Victoria (11), Calypso (7), Nautilus (7), Phoenix (6), Adventure (4), Horizon (4), Victory (4), Godspeed (3), Deepstar (2), Trieste (2)
One apiece were received for: Blake, Chatham, Desire, Dove, Eagle, Endurance, Griffin, Gulf Stream, Hokule'a, Investigator, Meteor, North Star, Pathfinder, Polar Star, Rising Star, Royal Tern

Holy smokes,
just wanted to say I am a huge fan, and I think your Spaceflight TLs are some of the best on the site.
if you or your friend have any good suggestions

I will gladly use them, my naming choices are really uncreative

so far my list is

Bonaventure (locked in) originally I called this one Maple Leaf but I thought that was cheesy)

Louis Riel (i like it, especially since he fought for indigenous people)

Champlain (in the 80s TL this is Tecumseh, still changing the names though)

I also thought of Canada Goose if the first was Maple Leaf

Or for a super secret USS Jimmy Carter submarine-style military space shuttle I'm thinking Lester B. Pearson, Jean Chrétien, Wilfrid Laurier

if I had no self-control it would be

Bonaventure
Freedom
Independence
Dominion (after the original title of Canada, Dominion of Canada)
and
Rob Ford (seriously)
Northwest Passage

for native names, i like Inukshuk, Sedna, Nanook, Nerrivik
if we are talking kind of bad-guy Native gods
Torngarsuk, or Tornatik

if we are talking ships, easy
Bonaventure
Erebus
Terror (as a space shuttle name this would be really ironic)

Expedition only

Franklin
Champlain
Cabot
Leif Erikson

Last edited:
I don't think that would happen, there was a strong desire in the naming of OV-105 to continue the "ships of exploration" theme from the other Shuttles. Out of a total of 109 finalists and runners up across US states and territories (each state selected their own winners for elevation to NASA's attention, though some only picked one) Endeavour was 31 of them. Resolution, the next most common, had 12.

Remaining submissions with more than one elevation to national level were:
Victoria (11), Calypso (7), Nautilus (7), Phoenix (6), Adventure (4), Horizon (4), Victory (4), Godspeed (3), Deepstar (2), Trieste (2)
One apiece were received for: Blake, Chatham, Desire, Dove, Eagle, Endurance, Griffin, Gulf Stream, Hokule'a, Investigator, Meteor, North Star, Pathfinder, Polar Star, Rising Star, Royal Tern
question for you,
in your story Boldy Going, you use partially recovered LRBs with the tanks being disposed of, and the engines getting recovered from the Atlantic, is it ok if I use this idea?

Holy smokes,
just wanted to say I am a huge fan, and I think your Spaceflight TLs are some of the best on the site.
if you or your friend have any good suggestions

I will gladly use them, my naming choices are really uncreative

so far my list is

Bonaventure (locked in) originally I called this one Maple Leaf but I thought that was cheesy)

Louis Riel (i like it, especially since he fought for indigenous people)

Champlain (in the 80s TL this is Tecumseh, still changing the names though)

I also thought of Canada Goose if the first was Maple Leaf

Or for a super secret USS Jimmy Carter submarine-style military space shuttle I'm thinking Lester B. Pearson, Jean Chrétien, Wilfrid Laurier

if I had no self-control it would be

Bonaventure
Freedom
Independence
Dominion (after the original title of Canada, Dominion of Canada)
and
Rob Ford (seriously)
Northwest Passage

for native names, i like Inukshuk, Sedna, Nanook, Nerrivik
if we are talking kind of bad-guy Native gods
Torngarsuk, or Tornatik

if we are talking ships, easy
Bonaventure
Erebus
Terror (as a space shuttle name this would be really ironic)

Expedition only

Franklin
Champlain
Cabot
Leif Erikson
How about Billy Bishop, George Beurling, Issac Brock or one of the most decorated Canadian soldiers of WW2 Prince, I can not recall his first name. He was PPCLI from Winnipeg and was First Nations. Another good one would be Tommy Douglas. Pierre Burton comes to mind as well.

question for you,
in your story Boldy Going, you use partially recovered LRBs with the tanks being disposed of, and the engines getting recovered from the Atlantic, is it ok if I use this idea?
There was a real historical study where we got it, and we've already gotten the use out of it, so unless @TimothyC objects I think any dibs we have have expired.

There was a real historical study where we got it, and we've already gotten the use out of it, so unless @TimothyC objects I think any dibs we have have expired.
Just wanted to double check, thank you
And I am very much excited for your next project
How about Billy Bishop, George Beurling, Issac Brock or one of the most decorated Canadian soldiers of WW2 Prince, I can not recall his first name. He was PPCLI from Winnipeg and was First Nations. Another good one would be Tommy Douglas. Pierre Burton comes to mind as well.
Billy Bishop and Issac Brock are on my list, (my dad insists on Billy Bishop and Challenger, to which I got inspired in my 80s Canada shuttle TL, and moved around shuttle flights so Atlantis gets the Challenger disaster, and as Canada uses LRB's the Canadian shuttles fly the payloads of 86 and 87, so to help the Canadians, Challenger gets converted to Canadian standards, and launches Galileo in 87, and fly's polar orbit missions
You could try explorers' ships: Erebus, Terror, Discovery, St Roch, Acadia, Don de Dieu...
already addressed that in the previous post, Erebus and Terror would be hilarious
"The Shuttle Terror launch successfully carrying a scientific payload to the International Space Station"
Also, Terror is one of the ships from the Star Spangled Banner, its likely one of the ships that launched the "bombs bursting in air" that went through the night

At first, I thought of naming it after Canadian animals, but Beaver kind of made it funny
though Polar Bear would be a good military shuttle name
Update
The 2010s TL now has the name
Bonaventure (i have kept this name since my first draft of Maple Leaf, Louis Riel, and Bonaventure)
Erebus
Terror (just thinking how hilarious it is)
Enterprise is being overhauled to be orbit capable (and have new computers and gizmos, which will be eventually distributed to the rest of the fleet), keeping its name because I think Trekkies being pissed off is worse than Shuttle Huggers being pissed (Canada buys the retiring fleet, and renames all the shuttles)
and parts for an OV-106 are being procured
Likely going with Billy Bishop

I still want to name the shuttle Freedom and Independence from Armageddon though, I love the movie, even though it's crazy unrealistic (i joke that the most unrealistic thing is NASA getting two shuttles stacked and ready to go on 12 days' notice), but they are cool names

To shuttle Huggers around the world, I am a shuttle hugger, just one that prefers the military side of the program
and I hate the name Atlantis, I get it but I think its the worst name of the fleet

And I am very much excited for your next project
Thanks! I've been steadily closing in on what that's likely to be, but I think I'm narrowing down a couple ideas.
Erebus
Terror
These do have the problem that the entire crew of the last Erebus and Terror died. Like, that's the most famous thing about the Franklin expedition, that they all died and people spent 20 years mapping the north of Canada looking for them.

Is the idea of this timeline supposed to be Canada...like, buying out the program and all the production of the ET and the like and moving it all to Canada after 2010? The tick-over cost for zero flights of Shuttle was about $2.5 billion (USD, 1995 or so dollars), with the averaged annual cost for a year in which they flew as many as 8 times was still $360m or so in 1997 dollars! The total budget of the Canadian Space Agency is about $388b today, so the entire agency today could cover about a quarter the cost of supporting Shuttle on an ongoing basis. The agency would probably have to rise to about 2% or so of the Canadian federal budget to both support Shuttle, and support the programs needed to actually develop payloads for it (without which, just having it is useless).

I was figuring this was more like, "Canada somehow buying into the Space Shuttle program in the 70s or 80s" where they'd only need to cover a portion of the fixed costs as they would have the US flight rate to share annual costs with? OTOH, maybe I'm less confused than I think since you mention Canada flying payloads in the mid-to-late 80s (as a side note: if anyone has LRBs, probably all operators have LRBs--the cost base and benefits are too high, especially that early in the program, for me to imagine you see two entirely parallel totally different operational booster designs)?

Last edited:
Thanks! I've been steadily closing in on what that's likely to be, but I think I'm narrowing down a couple ideas.

These do have the problem that the entire crew of the last Erebus and Terror died. Like, that's the most famous thing about the Franklin expedition, that they all died and people spent 20 years mapping the north of Canada looking for them.

Is the idea of this timeline supposed to be Canada...like, buying out the program and all the production of the ET and the like and moving it all to Canada after 2010? The tick-over cost for zero flights of Shuttle was about $2.5 billion (USD, 1995 or so dollars), with the averaged annual cost for a year in which they flew as many as 8 times was still $360m or so in 1997 dollars! The total budget of the Canadian Space Agency is about $388b today, so the entire agency today could cover about a quarter the cost of supporting Shuttle on an ongoing basis. The agency would probably have to rise to about 2% or so of the Canadian federal budget to both support Shuttle, and support the programs needed to actually develop payloads for it (without which, just having it is useless).

I was figuring this was more like, "Canada somehow buying into the Space Shuttle program in the 70s or 80s" where they'd only need to cover a portion of the fixed costs as they would have the US flight rate to share annual costs with? OTOH, maybe I'm less confused than I think since you mention Canada flying payloads in the mid-to-late 80s (as a side note: if anyone has LRBs, probably all operators have LRBs--the cost base and benefits are too high, especially that early in the program, for me to imagine you see two entirely parallel totally different operational booster designs)?
Oh I know, my original wishlist had Northwest Passage and Sir John Franklin, the John Franklin, and then just Franklin (to be a double meaning of both him and his expedition
I'm doing both it started out as what if Canada had a space shuttle, then doing the math, realized that wow, it would only fly like twice a year say every 120 days (my rule is May 1st to September 7th) mostly due to winter, so it turned into two with four launches a year, and then considering ODMP, it would mean that for stretches of time there would be one orbiter flying, necessitating a third orbiter. And the only reason I have LRB's is because of how cold Nova Scotia gets, necessitating a less cold-sensitive rocket
And my setup for the two flights per shuttle has the unintended side effect of creating an easy Launch On Need mission, as the two launch pads (basically the Vandenburg SLC-6 setup [still figuring if having two of these, or a VAB with 3 bays being better]) will routinely have Shuttles occupy both pads, resulting in one shuttle being assembled at any given time, while the other is ready for launch

Then my dad suggested it be 2010 which is now my parallel timeline, which is the same idea different time

And yes basically Canada buys everything (Etobeko makes the ETs, some city in Quebec makes the LRBs, Cold Lake is mission control (i wanted to have something that's consistent with your Canada-Gemini timeline to make a kind of tribute to your work), Vancouver makes the TPS, Winnepeg makes the CSSME's, etc

And for my 80's TL I actually did think of the sharing launches, as the shuttle fleet for 86,87,88 was wild, and with the US shuttles being grounded due to Altantis (OTL Challenger) I decided, why not have Canada pick up the slack, so Challenger becomes the on loan shuttle, I even have the negotiations address Hubble and Centaur-G, by having the scientists wanting those payloads to fly in 86, but Hubble isn't launched due to the high inclination and the fuel needed to get there from KSC, and Canada straight up refusing to launch Centaur-G.
(I have literally been scouring Wikipedia's canceled space shuttle mission list, along with others to get payloads)

As for the whole LRB dilemma, I will put it up to politics, let's say it comes up on a committee, "Canada building their own boosters with better lift, let's buy them" I can see it getting pushback from Utah-based congressmen, and nationally focused congressmen, "why buy from another country when we have perfectly good boosters". so the US keeps their fleet on SRBs due to not wanting to ground the shuttle fleet while the facilities at KSC get converted (the O-ring problem literally forced NASA to waive the "a part fails, stop, fix it, then continue flying" rule) as they didn't want to delay future flights.

SLS literally is congressionally mandated to keep the workers who worked on the shuttle employed, all the while nickel and diming everything, like the OTL Shuttle development, so it isn't far-fetched that the US congress will keep the SRBs (at least in my mind)

So Atlantis blows up carrying the teacher, Canada is proven right on their LRB decision and the US has to re-engineer their whole shuttle program to be like Canada, which pushes them until say 1990, where Canada is now the launch provider, and the decision is made to keep payloads on the shuttle instead of expendable launch vehicles like Titan or Delta.

I actually have them ditch the whole shuttle numbering scheme for the fiscal year and launch site, due to the confusion of the Canadian-launched missions
1 is a planned mission
2 its redesignated with another shuttle
3 its launching from Canada (who refused to be 3 on the launch site list, mostly because I thought it would be hilarious for the ultimate flight number)
creating
STS 6C-G-R
going by OTL post-challenger rules it would be STS 26R

As for the budget issues, ill say the 80s TL is mostly a commercial affair, and with the Shuttle still being brute forced by the US to be the only launch vehicle, Canada gains some lucrative contracts due to its Canso site being suited to polar orbit missions, (i actually had a whole BC based Shuttle, Launch Facility, and ET and LRB factories, then I realized it would be redundant.
(Basically kinda like your "Boldly Going" TL, but with an emphasis on commercial payloads instead of a space station)

aA for the 2010s I know it makes even less sense, the TL I have so far involves the shuttles launching more modules (node 1, Centrifuge, and US habitation module get built), and the NASA idea in the 90s of flying Soyuz to Space Station Freedom in the 90's kinda happens, so I basically turn the shuttle into a Crew/Soyuz transport between missions when an MPLM is flown, the same NASA/US politics still happen, but only more hilariously, as SLS still happens, but the promise of it being cheap to fly due to reusing shuttle hardware produces the opposite effect, as Canada owns the shuttle hardware, all those SSME's are gone, which requires new ones being built, pushing the development cost of SLS to 28 billion, and it not flying Artemis 1 until 2023 to 25

Last edited:
You're goddamn right.
I went back and forth, but in both TL I want William Shatner to fly in space, so it will ultimately be better-having Enterprise be the one, in my 2010 TL it gets refurbished and basically turns into "if we made a modern shuttle idea" with modern computers, Canadarm 3, maybe a better TPS system, and be lighter then Endeavour (renamed Terror, because it grew on me because it's such a silly name)
though I dont know if I should have him make a Priceline.com ad in space, I want to so badly because it would be hilarious
Uh...Shuttle McShuttleface?

I will see myself out now.
Get Out LOL

Last edited:
As for the whole LRB dilemma, I will put it up to politics, let's say it comes up on a committee, "Canada building their own boosters with better lift, let's buy them" I can see it getting pushback from Utah-based congressmen, and nationally focused congressmen, "why buy from another country when we have perfectly good boosters". so the US keeps their fleet on SRBs due to not wanting to ground the shuttle fleet while the facilities at KSC get converted (the O-ring problem literally forced NASA to waive the "a part fails, stop, fix it, then continue flying" rule) as they didn't want to delay future flights.
TBH, I don't know that the suggested timeline holds together that well on a number of details, but the concept of Canada developing the LRB entirely solo and the US neither having any involvement in it or wanting to use the result until forced into it by a convergent Shuttle failure is...troublesome to me. Canada has almost no experience with rockets. Not none, but almost none, and none at all on the scale of what a Shuttle LRB would be--each is a rocket stage larger than Falcon 9, almost up there with Saturn IB. That means...I would not call it reasonable for them to be developing the LRB without basically outsourcing much of the design to the US, which is where I really don't think the "not invented here" aspect comes in--it's quite probably going to be a joint production anyway.

The US really wanted to do liquid boosters, but were forced into solids largely on cost issues--the SRB mafia really only gained its full strength post-Cold War when the missile contracts dried up and SRB became the only thing keeping several companies alive. LRBs were studied in 1972, 1977, the mid-to-late 80s, and mid-90s, and were always going to beat the SRBs on payload and have better operability. The issue was always cost. On the subject of cost, those costs were often in the range of multiple billions in the mid-to-late 80s. Canada's space budget is going to have a hard enough time stretching to just building a new launch pad and buying additional orbiters (the US has no spare orbiters to lend, every US orbiter was basically running flat out in the 80s until Challenger, leading to things like 54-day launch-to-launch turnarounds) without tacking on a development they...quite probably cannot cover solo.

TBH, I don't know that the suggested timeline holds together that well on a number of details, but the concept of Canada developing the LRB entirely solo and the US neither having any involvement in it or wanting to use the result until forced into it by a convergent Shuttle failure is...troublesome to me. Canada has almost no experience with rockets. Not none, but almost none, and none at all on the scale of what a Shuttle LRB would be--each is a rocket stage larger than Falcon 9, almost up there with Saturn IB. That means...I would not call it reasonable for them to be developing the LRB without basically outsourcing much of the design to the US, which is where I really don't think the "not invented here" aspect comes in--it's quite probably going to be a joint production anyway.

The US really wanted to do liquid boosters, but were forced into solids largely on cost issues--the SRB mafia really only gained its full strength post-Cold War when the missile contracts dried up and SRB became the only thing keeping several companies alive. LRBs were studied in 1972, 1977, the mid-to-late 80s, and mid-90s, and were always going to beat the SRBs on payload and have better operability. The issue was always cost. On the subject of cost, those costs were often in the range of multiple billions in the mid-to-late 80s. Canada's space budget is going to have a hard enough time stretching to just building a new launch pad and buying additional orbiters (the US has no spare orbiters to lend, every US orbiter was basically running flat out in the 80s until Challenger, leading to things like 54-day launch-to-launch turnarounds) without tacking on a development they...quite probably cannot cover solo.
The way I have it, Canada buys into the program during the post-development period (1978 or 79), finds that its proposed launch site (Canso) is too cold during winter seasons, (about 81 or 82), and controversially decides to use its own Canadian Built booster, to which NASA looks on with jealousy as LRB's are way better than solids, but with the running flat out 56 days turn around times projected, and the launch pads and support facilities already built, the time simply isn't there to change over and with the projected launches of 83,84,85,86, just converting one pad would delay future flights. With this and the SRB mafia lobbyists in congress, the change is handwaved to be "some time in the future"

So Atlantis blows up, killing the crew with the teacher on board, NASA gets the LRB's which the SRB mafia fights, and the added facilities changing over pushes the next shuttle flight until late 89, during which the Canadian shuttle is still flying, which causes Canada to get those payloads from the US that were supposed to fly, and Challenger gets put on loan, to conduct missions and polar orbit spy stuff, and is the first shuttle to get converted to LRB's
(the change in rules on letting payloads fly on expendable boosters doesn't happen in this TL, so the US shuttles average of 9 flights get a year gets upped with Canada's 6-8 a year, equalling 16 flights on average)
As for the LRB development, I took the reusable engine booster idea and had Canada build that with help from Rocketdyne and the Glenn L. Martin Company (basically being consultants/supplying experienced workers to teach Canadian rocket engineers)
And if you're wondering where the Canadian orbiters come from
(got the idea from Moonraker, with the UK owning a shuttle)
OV-105 Bonaventure
OV-106 Franklin
OV-107 Crozier
Parts for an OV-108 (in this TL Endeavour is OV-109)
The option of refurbishing Enterprise
(i am very loose on naming lol)

As for the 2010 scenario, my idea was that the United Space Alliance, the conglomerate between Boeing and Lockheed Martin would basically supply Canada with engineers to teach the Canadian rocket engineers, and instead of shutting down after the Shuttle is retired, the USA moves into a support role with Canada
Canada buys the fleet in 2007, and contracts the USA company to supervise the building of Canadian factories,
2011, STS 135 happens, Canada then operates the US shuttles for three further KSC launches first Canada is mostly watching US workers, second mission control is partially filled with Canadians, and the third flight has an all-Canadian crew in mission control with American advisors
2013 has the first launch of an LRB shuttle (Terror) launches unmanned, rendezvous and docks with the ISS, to pick up its two Canadians and one Russian (crew flew up on a Soyuz), loads their Soyuz capsule into the cargo bay and return to earth

The Commercial Crew program happens, which the Canadian government applies for, and they and SpaceX get the contract, with Boeing being quickly brought in with their Starliner proposal being the new third spacecraft to launch crew
at 100 mil a seat (up to 5 seats up for grabs per launch) it covers a bit of launch costs for the Canadian shuttle
(got that number from the cost of Crew dragon being 75ish mil, and starliner which is about 183 mil, i am lowballing a bit
As a side effect of there not being much else to bring up (besides resupply and the canceled modules), I brushed off the idea from the '90s to bring Soyuz to Freedom in a shuttle cargo bay, basically adding some commercial enterprise to the Canadian shuttle (makes sense, as 1 Soyuz costs like 100 million per launch, and having 2 Soyuz replacer missions a year (along with crew rotations) might earn some of the launch costs back

Hell I might even have the shuttle return cargo vehicles to earth for reuse (I am sure companies would love it)

As for the budget in both TLs, ill just say Pierre Trudeau and his government had a fiscal responsibility stroke, and that Joe Clark's failed bill involved canceling the program, and Stephen Harper did this instead of the F-35 program, promoted it as a jobs builder for Canadian Aerospace (which it would be), and raised taxes.

Last edited:
OV-105 Bonaventure
OV-106 Franklin
OV-107 Crozier
Parts for an OV-108 (in this TL Endeavour is OV-109)
Canada probably can't get any of these until about '87. The bays at Palmdale were full until late '85, and from when a bay opened to when a Shuttle made a debut launch was about 24 months, so late '87 to early '88 is the earliest Canada would get orbiters. (There were two bays, one was opened up by Atlantis finishing construction in March of '85, the other by Columbia's return to the flightline in July '85.

Also, the US would probably love to partner with Canada on developing LRB in parallel with initial operations---if Canada's willing to pay even half the cost, that solves a lot of the issues with funding it in the US. (Historically, there was a similar parallel development of the filament wound composite SRB for Vandenberg payload boosts in the early 80s, but LRB is the same thing but even better, it just costs more...but here Canada is willing to take on some of the cost.)

The "running flat out" was pretty specific to the ramp up in '84-'86. The tempo was a lot more restrained in the '78-'84 period before the debut flight and as initial introduction was ongoing with a lot fewer orbiters. Additionally, the pressure was much more on production and operations than on development, while development on orbiter was tapering off into production, making the early 80s a good time for incremental improvements and extensions (like, for instance Centaur-G, Spacelab, and other joint developments) to come online and start work. If Canada's literally already paying NASA contractors, then it's not like they'll be less distracted if NASA and Canada jointly develop the system.

1670362309220.png

Besides arguing the plausibility, I guess part of what gets me is the intent: things that feel illogical can be justified, but doing them all to one side so another side can look better and smart (and the other side can look even dumber than OTL) can feel ugly. If NASA isn't taking advantage of that, you're sort of not jsut saying, "NASA IOTL was dumb, here they're being dumb and Canada is being smarter" but because there's options available to NASA they're not taking it comes off as "here NASA's being even dumber than OTL, while Canada is being brilliant".