Californie- French California

If the French here are impressed with the wine growing capability around Los Angeles, wait until they properly survey the Central Coast and the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, those are THE wine countries that most people think of in California.

I'm born and raised in Los Angeles, one thing I wanted to point out that a lot of folks might not be aware of is the regular, and often, destructive flooding of the Los Angeles River that would occur up into even the 20th century, when the river was fully lined with concrete.
Some of these floods were incredibly destructive and caused routine loss of life.

If the French here are impressed with the wine growing capability around Los Angeles, wait until they properly survey the Central Coast and the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, those are THE wine countries that most people think of in California.

I'm born and raised in Los Angeles, one thing I wanted to point out that a lot of folks might not be aware of is the regular, and often, destructive flooding of the Los Angeles River that would occur up into even the 20th century, when the river was fully lined with concrete.
Some of these floods were incredibly destructive and caused routine loss of life.
Would you be open to questions about California geography?

A lot of this discussion is getting ahead of ourselves, but I wonder if in Hawaii the locals might be able to play off this yet another group of colonizers against the Brits and Americans.

But also speaking of having a base on the Pacific coast- does this mean France might be the ones to open up Japan?
I could see the French having trade relations with them and especially selling military hardware but at most, they would make Hawaii a protectorate because they're already busy with Californie.

Hmmm, that could be interesting to see how that would impact japanese history but I can't say it would be much changed.

Ditto the Central Valley - Not!Sacramento's in serious trouble about twenty years from now. Whatever the French come up with, it'd better be a lot smarter than "pave it over with concrete."

It occurred to me a European migrant getting free passage could be pretty easy. All you have to do is go to France and say, look I want to go to Californie but I haven’t any money. Either put me on a ship or I’m just going to squat here in France, your call. 😆

A lot of this discussion is getting ahead of ourselves, but I wonder if in Hawaii the locals might be able to play off this yet another group of colonizers against the Brits and Americans.
Yeah. We still don't know if the US is going to get the Oregon country, which they might get if the US think they can't California. We also don't know the fate of Texas here.

But also speaking of having a base on the Pacific coast- does this mean France might be the ones to open up Japan?
It would be interesting to see how Californie would help in the Boshin War.

Yeah. We still don't know if the US is going to get the Oregon country, which they might get if the US think they can't California. We also don't know the fate of Texas here.

It would be interesting to see how Californie would help in the Boshin War.
Would France be really interested in the bonshin war though? Sure, they had military missions training the Shogun forces but they also did it for the imperial family, in fact, one of the most important parts was that the imperial forces managed to convince the Europeans to stay out of the war. So I could see that happening here too.

Honestly, I’m more interested in what happens to Indochina. If Californie helps Nam/Laos/Cambodia walk out, is there anything France can do to stop them?

It would also be really cool if you could do a miner POV when he finds the Comstock lode in Nevada or the POV of a prospector in the California Gold rush.

Anastasio Bustamante will basically take all the blame as he is basically President of Mexico, meanwhile Santa Anna would basically again return to the Presidency then place most likely a moderate conservative that is buddies with him in power then leave. As this war would obviously regain his name back to glory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Javier_Echeverría This guy seems to be a good replacement, buddies with Santa Anna and Bustamante, aside from that, competent

Map #1
More posts incoming soon! In the meantime, enjoy this lovely map made for me by Reddit user hamzak8. It shows the rough shape of things in 1845 when the French encounter their first challenge to their authority. Just off the map are the Russian holdings in Alaska and the independent Texas Republic. Any mistakes are mine, not hamzak!

heufdbs2pul81.png