• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zagan

Donor
Theory (please read)

We all know the feeling of seeing that damned Kazakh border (TM) or something similar unexpectedly showing up in an otherwise good and interesting TL.
While the noobs produce such horrors constantly, even the best of us do sometime err in this regard, obviously with less known borders.

The damned Kazakh border error could be defined like this:
In a TL having a POD in year X we have a border which (1) is identical to an OTL border created in later than X and (2) does not follow some obvious geographic landmark like a river or mountainous continental divide (in which second case the border would be obviously acceptable).

The problem is that we do not usually know the age of a certain border.
The age of a border is a complicated matter. Let's try to define it:
The age of a border is the earliest time in history when any border was lying in that particular location, even if (1) the border was subsequently removed or (2) the border used to delimit different countries or (3) it was not an international border but only an (important) internal subdivision.

Examples:

1. The Western segment of the border between Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast) and Lithuania.
(Memelland was split from East Prussia).
Exception: As it lies on an important river (Neman) it could be used, even with a pre-1919 POD.

2. The Eastern segment of the border between Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast) and Lithuania.
(as part the border between Ducal Prussia and Lithuania).
Observation: The fact that today, on the Southern part of the border, instead of Prussia or Germany lies Russia does not affect the age of that border.
Mistake: Using it with a Roman POD as a border between Rome and Sarmatia.
Correct: Using it as the border between Poland and the Soviet Union with a POD of 1920.

3. The Pruth border between Romania and Moldavia.
(Russia annexation of the Eastern half of the Principality of Moldavia)
Observation: The fact that the border disappeared between 1918 - 1940 and between 1941 - 1944 does not make it any younger than 1812.
Correct: Using it as the border between Romania and Russia with a POD of 1919 (even though the border did not exist in 1919, it used to exist in the past and could be recreated, as it actually happened in OTL).

What should we do then when writing a TL or drawing a map for a TL?
Variant 1: Scrupulously research each and every border used (could be very time-consuming).
Variant 2: Do not care and hope that nobody would object to any anachronistic borders.
Variant 3: Do not use any OTL borders (that is clearly absurd as many borders are there for a reason).
Variant 4: Quickly consult a single centralized database (adnotated map) containing the ages of every border segment.

Well, Variant 4, surely! Please give me a link to that miraculous database / adnotated map!

Sorry, it does not exist... yet.
But you could help create it.

So, may I introduce you the Borders Age Map(s)...

Definition: A Border Age Map is a blank map showing only the borders with adnotated Border Ages for each border segment (between tripoints or segment markers).

Example:

Romania6.png

That's good, but why don't you do this for all the borders in the World? Why do you need the help of the community?

Well, for two reasons:
1. It is a monumental task which should help all of us.
2. I do not have access to enough information about all the borders. It was rather easy to do Romania (my country), but I know much less about Paraguay for example.

And now the basemaps without the age adnotations (I will keep adding them and I hope that I would get some help in this huge endevour).

Note: Click on the Thumbnail for the Full-size version (middle-click to open in a new tab).

Europe and the Mediterranian
From Google Maps Zoom 6 (better quality, without Northern Scandinavia):

Europe6.png

And Google Maps Zoom 5 if you prefer the same scale as the other maps:

Europe.png

Asia
From Google Maps Zoom 5:

Asia.png

Africa
From Google Maps Zoom 5:

Africa.png

Latin America
From Google Maps Zoom 5:

LatinAmerica.png

USA and Canada, with Subdivisions
From Google Maps Zoom 5 (without the extreme North):

NorthAmerica.png

Australia, with Subdivisions
From Google Maps Zoom 5:

Australia.png

Note: I cannot upload the full world map because (1) it is several megabytes in size and (2) its resolution (8192 x 8192 pixels) makes it rather difficult to work with. I can paste the end results of our work together and upload the full map to an Internet Image Host like imgur or postimage.

Note: In order for the final map to look uniform, please:
1. Do not change any colors, borders, coastlines, etc.
2. For text, use the Font Calibri, Size 10, Normal, Black, Anti-aliased.
3. For the segment dividers, use Width 1 pixel, Black, Anti-aliased.
4. Save as PNG 8 bit per pixel and optimize with a PNG Optimizer (for example optipng.exe).
5. If the file size gets bigger than 500 KB, crop the part you had modified (I will take care of it).
6. Post here. Thanks.

Now I will start working on this and will post the partial results here from time to time.
If someone wants to contribute, please volunteer here stating the area of expertise (in order to avoid duplicating work).

Come on: Do once, benefit for ever!

Thank you.

CONTRIBUTORS:

@Zagan: Concept, Blank Maps, will do (parts) of Europe.
@Falkanner: Most of Latin America.
@Narwhal: Australia.
@telynk: Could do parts of North America.
@Tallest Skil: Useful information.
@Mav12: Useful information.
@Stuyvesant: Ecuador.
@XO Mapping: Good idea.

Waiting for more...

Last edited:
I can probably contribute to the north America map.

My general approach to map making is to use something like your "variant 3". I have a base map from the time of my POD and any borders that don'the appear in that base map I make sure are different. Of course this sometimes results in borders that are different but shouldn't be (because they'really older than the POD but we're ignored at the time of the POD) but it'seems easier than this method.

Quick question: If a border is modified, but only slightly (i.e. it follows the same path but has more edges), does it still count as the "same" border? Other than that, I will work a little bit on Latin America.

Zagan

Donor
Quick question: If a border is modified, but only slightly (i.e. it follows the same path but has more edges), does it still count as the "same" border? Other than that, I will work a little bit on Latin America.
If the (slight) differencies are visible at this scale, then yes, the border is different on those segments. If not, they are identical.
Nobody will say in a TL: "The Southern border of Ruritania was identical with the Slovak-Polish border of OTL present day."
They would simply post a map. If no one could see the diferencies on the map because of its scale, then it's the benefit of the doubt.

Here's what I have so far. The borders in the dense jungles are the hardest, since reliable information about them is so hard to find.

Attachments

• LatinAmerica.png
    LatinAmerica.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 680
For anyone looking for the US state borders, the book "How the States Got there Shapes" by Mark Stein could be helpful

Zagan

Donor
Added a "Contributors" list at the end of the original post.
I will update it as necessary.
The final product will acknowledge to have us all as (partial) authors with the appropriate copyright, obviously.
Thank you.

CONTRIBUTORS:

@Zagan: Concept, Blank Maps, will do (parts) of Europe.
@Falkanner: Most of Latin America.
@telynk: Could do parts of North America.
@Tallest Skil: Useful information.
@Mav12: Useful information.
@Stuyvesant: Ecuador.
@XO Mapping: Good idea.

Waiting for more...

In the case of Kazakhstan, while the exact border obviously would not come about in an ATL, the general shape actually would as it roughly matches the territories held by the traditional Kazakh Zhuz (tibes).

So I'm working on dating the Canada-US border right now and just realized that my copy of GIMP doesn't have the Calibri font installed :( I think I'll still add lines and dates but won't upload anything until I change the font to Calibri

Zagan

Donor
So I'm working on dating the Canada-US border right now and just realized that my copy of GIMP doesn't have the Calibri font installed :( I think I'll still add lines and dates but won't upload anything until I change the font to Calibri
Use other font, please. I'll change it in minutes.
Thanks.

Here's what I have so far. The borders in the dense jungles are the hardest, since reliable information about them is so hard to find.

The northern border of Argentina and Paraguay was in no way settled in 1811.

8b5faab214cd67b65da2a3afc298fdb6.jpg

Argentina only dropped its claims (the southern green part, with the Rio Verde as a border) in 1898, with US mediation I believe. Misiones (the eastern orange part) was a Paraguayan protectorate (but it was never really incorporated, much less independent) until the arbitrage by Rutherford Hayes in 1878.

Borders in the greater Chaco are a bitch...

Here are some historical maps of Argentina, though I can't really vouch for their accuraccy: http://mapotecavirtual.blogspot.com.ar/