Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Question for everybody if Game of Thrones is a thing ITTL, how different would you all expect it to be?
For one that Jon (Jaehaerys III, i think that's the best name for him) get's the throne and Daenrys in the finale. Plus rickon survives and is lord of winterfell and warden of the north

Question for everybody if Game of Thrones is a thing ITTL, how different would you all expect it to be?
Well, for starters there would certainly be less sexual content, especially if it’s made into films/a tv show. Network nipple was about as risque as it could get until like the 2000s

Edit: Hadn’t realized that you did not mean made in the 80s ttl - woops!

For one that Jon (Jaehaerys III, i think that's the best name for him) get's the throne and Daenrys in the finale. Plus rickon survives and is lord of winterfell and warden of the north
Hmm interesting. Never did understand why they went with Aegon for his name. Of course there is a lot of things I don't understand or like about the last season

Hey @President_Lincoln a long updates ago you talked about George R.R. Martin and I was wondering will we see in a later update what he's up? If my memory serves correct he's a screenwriter at this point right? Also do you see Game of Thrones being a thing ITTL?
Apologies for not getting back to him sooner! Yes, Martin is working in Hollywood as a screenwriter and in tv at this point. He will soon take a break from that however to focus on his novels.

The book series that Games of Thrones is based on - A Song of Ice and Fire - will absolutely be a thing in this timeline. It will also likely be adapted at some point. Beyond that, I agree with the other commenters who say that it probably won't come around until at least the 2000s, probably 2010s.

I don't think Never Say Never Again will happen, the events leading to it have been butterflied away.
I really really hope Timothy Dalton is picked up as Bond, I made my choices for the next Bond clear in a previous post.
And I also hope that, because the Western world is generally more aware of India, Octopussy, while it's 'exotic' won't go around bolstering stereotypes.

Also, @President_Lincoln, '80s Aerosmith is my favourite Aerosmith so I hate your with every fibre of my being, (/s)
Apologies there. 😢 I always hate to kill off a celebrity. You'll inevitably break the hearts of their fans. I've tried to be fair about spreading the deaths/sparing some people around (I'm still not over Bob Dylan being killed way back in 66. His work in the 70s includes some of my favorite songs by any artist).

Dalton would be a great pick as Bond. Don't worry, I hear you loud and clear. The next 007 film might take a few years ITTL, given that Glover is departing and they need to go back to the drawing board.

Am curious if you've covered Nicaragua, and if not, is Somoza's fate in this world the same as it was in ours in '79 and '80?
I have not covered Nicaragua yet. But I planned on having Somoza meet a similar end to OTL in 1979.

Apologies there. 😢 I always hate to kill off a celebrity. You'll inevitably break the hearts of their fans. I've tried to be fair about spreading the deaths/sparing some people around (I'm still not over Bob Dylan being killed way back in 66. His work in the 70s includes some of my favorite songs by any artist).

Dalton would be a great pick as Bond. Don't worry, I hear you loud and clear. The next 007 film might take a few years ITTL, given that Glover is departing and they need to go back to the drawing board.
Just playing, something's always got to give.
<rant>
Also, while they're at the drawing board, they need to figure out a niche, even in the action blockbuster genre, which is about to BLOW UP. They were always mimicing existing trends and slapping on Bond to it IOTL. Examples include:
Live and Let Die - James Bond in Blaxploitation
The Man With the Golden Gun - James Bond in Enter the Dragon
Octopussy - James Bond in Raiders of the Lost Ark
License to Kill - James Bond in a Drugbuster movie

And these are the ones off the top of my head.

TL, DR: James Bond needs to be something original, a trailblazer like it was in the '60s, both in our timeline and this timeline.
</rant>

Apologies for not getting back to him sooner! Yes, Martin is working in Hollywood as a screenwriter and in tv at this point. He will soon take a break from that however to focus on his novels.
Don't worry about it, I understand you're busy with grad school. But great to hear that soon he'll work on his novels.
The book series that Games of Thrones is based on - A Song of Ice and Fire - will absolutely be a thing in this timeline. It will also likely be adapted at some point. Beyond that, I agree with the other commenters who say that it probably won't come around until at least the 2000s, probably 2010s.
Great to hear that Game of Thrones will definitely be a thing. Let's just hope that the show ends better than it did IOTL. It'll also be interesting to see how the butterflies affect Martin himself and the A Song of Ice and Fire books if at all.

Last edited:
Since IOTL it was a tv series, I wonder if ITTL it could be adapted as a potential film franchise instead (as apparently, IOTL, GoT was originally planned to be a film adaptation of the books, but the author disapproved of the idea so they turned it into a tv show instead). I could see it being just like the Harry Potter films, where they release a new movie every year or so for a possible decade and each one is an adaptation of the book/OTL season.

Xman1287

Banned
Don’t forget to put out the futuristic swat riot gear wearing GhostSmashers Starring Dan Aykroyd as Ray Stantz John Belushi as Peter Venkman Jeff Goldblum as Egon Spengler Eddie Murphy as Winston Zeddemore John Candy as Louis Tulley Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett Sandra Bernhard as Janine Melnitz and Paul Reubens as Ivo Shandor/ Gozer the Gozerian aka the GhostSmashers interdimensional Employer there final battle in a hellish reality and their Vehicle that all Black 1975 Cadillac ambulance with purple and white strobe lights for the theme song have Hughes and Thrall NRBQ Lindsay Buckingham Huey Lewis Ray Parker Jr Kenny Loggins in a quartet style group for the theme song also if you feel they could make a impact Add both John Lithgow Christopher Lloyd and Christopher Walken Harold Ramis Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson Yaphet Kotto Richard Pryor and Jim Belushi yes John Belushi’s brother Michael Keaton Chevy Chase Michael Richards Robin Williams and Tom Hanks as the other GhostSmasher teams and for a couple laughs have Rick Moranis and Annie Potts as The Married couple who encounter Slimer who will be known as OnionHead.

Since IOTL it was a tv series, I wonder if ITTL it could be adapted as a potential film franchise instead (as apparently, IOTL, GoT was originally planned to be a film adaptation of the books, but the author disapproved of the idea so they turned it into a tv show instead). I could see it being just like the Harry Potter films, where they release a new movie every year or so for a possible decade and each one is an adaptation of the book/OTL season.
I don't think so. There's too much detail for Game of Thrones in order for it to be a movie. Even a series of movie would not do it justice.

I could see it being just like the Harry Potter films, where they release a new movie every year or so for a possible decade and each one is an adaptation of the book/OTL season.
Also with the Harry Potter Books. It was easy to adapt them into film since none of the books go past 70 chapters whereas I think one of the A song of Ice and Fire books number almost 90 chapters

I have not covered Nicaragua yet. But I planned on having Somoza meet a similar end to OTL in 1979.
One complaint I've seen is that the Dorthraki are portrayed in a very stereotypical light; they're basically just raping pillaging savages. Some have tried to argue that "oh they're just based on mongols/turks/certain native tribes" but even those cultures were far more than just raping savages and did have actual culture, so that just falls really flat. Same with the other Essos civilizations.

The Noblebright thread for a Song of Ice and Fire had the user kilerog come up with a more detailed history of the Dorthraki to the point that while they're still hardcore, they're not just mindless savages.

Martin ended up recycling a lot of tropes that are frankly problematic as hell; not necessarily from malice but because he grew up with them and didn't really see how others might view it as problematic.

I was actually thinking that a contribution I could make is that an up and coming author makes a fantasy book series based on non european myth (maybe Persian myth, Japanese myth, or even Native American lore). The writer has to go through a lot of shit to get it published but it really takes off in the public conscious.

One complaint I've seen is that the Dorthraki are portrayed in a very stereotypical light; they're basically just raping pillaging savages. Some have tried to argue that "oh they're just based on mongols/turks/certain native tribes" but even those cultures were far more than just raping savages and did have actual culture, so that just falls really flat. Same with the other Essos civilizations.

The Noblebright thread for a Song of Ice and Fire had the user kilerog come up with a more detailed history of the Dorthraki to the point that while they're still hardcore, they're not just mindless savages.

Martin ended up recycling a lot of tropes that are frankly problematic as hell; not necessarily from malice but because he grew up with them and didn't really see how others might view it as problematic.

I was actually thinking that a contribution I could make is that an up and coming author makes a fantasy book series based on non european myth (maybe Persian myth, Japanese myth, or even Native American lore). The writer has to go through a lot of shit to get it published but it really takes off in the public conscious.
That is an interesting idea. Have you got an idea of what the fantasy story would entail specifically? Also I must admit I am not at all well knowledgeable of Persian and Japanese myth I have a little knowledge of Native American so it would be interesting to read about a fantasy story that draws upon those three elements.

Xman1287

Banned
Don’t forget to put out the futuristic swat riot gear wearing GhostSmashers Starring Dan Aykroyd as Ray Stantz John Belushi as Peter Venkman Jeff Goldblum as Egon Spengler Eddie Murphy as Winston Zeddemore John Candy as Louis Tulley Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett Sandra Bernhard as Janine Melnitz and Paul Reubens as Ivo Shandor/ Gozer the Gozerian aka the GhostSmashers interdimensional Employer there final battle in a hellish reality and their Vehicle that all Black 1975 Cadillac ambulance with purple and white strobe lights for the theme song have Hughes and Thrall NRBQ Lindsay Buckingham Huey Lewis Ray Parker Jr Kenny Loggins in a quartet style group for the theme song also if you feel they could make a impact Add both John Lithgow Christopher Lloyd and Christopher Walken Harold Ramis Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson Yaphet Kotto Richard Pryor and Jim Belushi yes John Belushi’s brother Michael Keaton Chevy Chase Michael Richards Robin Williams Tom Hanks and if he is still alive and not dead from his suicide Freddie Prinze as the other GhostSmasher teams and for a couple laughs have Rick Moranis and Annie Potts as The Married couple who encounter Slimer who will be known as OnionHead.

Also add this song is from the dragnet movie that starred Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks implent Dance or Die as well as that song was a repurposed Ghostbusters reject theme song and it is catchy

You didn't mentioned music albums that were released this year and should include in the next pop culture update: John Lennon's Double Fantasy; Bee Gees' Living Eyes; Earth, Wind, & Fire's Raise!; ABBA's The Visitors; Olivia Newton-John's Physical; The Police's Ghost in the Machine; Hall and Oates' Private Eyes; The Go-Go's Beauty and the Beat; Air Supply's The One That You Love; Al Jarreau's Breakin' Away; Kim Wilde's Debut Album; The Carpenters' Made in America; George Harrison's Somewhere in England; Juice Newton's Juice; Spandau Ballet's Journeys to Love; Sheena Easton's Take My Time; Emmylou Harris' Evangeline; and Styx's Paradise Theater.
I have other movie suggestions that you should include for this update: Chariots of Fire, Reds, Mad Max 2, Escape from New York, Neighbors, The Cannonball Run, Stripes, Halloween II, Friday the 13th Part 2, The Shining, Wonder Woman, Arthur, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Endless Love, Mommie Dearest, Taps, Ragtime, Pennies From Heaven, Absence of Malice, Prince of the City, First Monday in October, Victory, Gallipoli, Possession, Das Boot, Priest of Love, One from the Heart, Rollover, Heaven's Gate, History of the World Part I, The Great Muppet Caper, The Four Seasons, Modern Romance, The Fox and the Hound, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Gregory's Girl, Continental Divide, Rich and Famous, Heartbeeps, Porky's, American Pop, Thief, The Last Chase, and Blow Out.
You still haven't post yet on who will be The Nobel Prize Winners from 1967-1981 ITTL.
Mr. @President_Lincoln, in case you forgot about my suggestions here, I'll post it again for all of us geniuses here to know if they'll be the same as IOTL or different ITTL. I couldn't resist my enthusiasm if they weren't mentioned for this timeline of yours, so apologies in advance.

That is an interesting idea. Have you got an idea of what the fantasy story would entail specifically? Also I must admit I am not at all well knowledgeable of Persian and Japanese myth I have a little knowledge of Native American so it would be interesting to read about a fantasy story that draws upon those three elements.
I'm thinking of drawing some inspiration from the Shahnameh, an Iranian myth, as well as Zoroastrianism. It expands into a vast universe of its own as well.