Biggest urban battles that never happened

One scenario where I can see the pacific fleet playing a decisive role in a land battle.A few nuclear tipped rockets from kynda / Echo class submarines can stop the PLA armored advance
However this will only encourage the Chinese leaders to resort to infiltration and guerilla tactics esp in an urban environment
It makes it also fair game now that PRC could also launch its own nukes in retaliation.

It makes it also fair game now that PRC could also launch its own nukes in retaliation.
Exactly so the soviets may pre empt that by resorting to target Chinese nuclear assets

losing Vladivostok means losing the entire soviet Far East coast essentially so it’s not something Moscow will be in a mood to compromise

In a timeline where Gallipoli either succeeds or the Entente lands somewhere else to invade the Ottoman Empire in 1915, I can easily see the British and French getting caught in urban warfare if they were able to cross into Anatolia. If the Ottomans were particularly determined to fight to the end, we could've even seen the Entente fight the Ottomans in the streets of Constantinople.

At the bare minimum, I can see the Americans fighting the Chinese in Harbin.

No one in the US military was seriously considering a sea invasion of the Chinese mainland.
Was Macarthur’s plan was to invade through Korea or land in China?

1. A combination of no Vietnam to distract the U.S., and East German participation in the invasion of Czechoslovakia means that the Prague Spring goes very, very hot in the city.

2. The Soviets take a hardline against Solidarity and Walesa, and we get Warsaw Uprising 2.0.

3. There's an American administration willing to take the final step to end the Vietnam problem, and directly invades North Vietnam by taking Hanoi ... eventually.

4. Someone other than JFK decides to solve the Cuba problem in the early '60s with an outright invasion, and Havana is especially ugly.

5. American forces intervene to stop the Khmer Rogue at the last minute, resulting in a long, bloody street fight in Phnom Penh. This probably requires a better ongoing war in Vietnam so that the U.S. has the political, military, and economic will for a large-scale deployment and the fighting & casualties.

World in Conflict: Soviet Assault had a mission in Berlin, 1989...in the perspective of the invading Soviet Army.

Man, that was a shockingly good game. I wish we had more alt history strategy games like it.

I think in general the main biggest missed example of urban combat was Operation Downfall. It would’ve seen fights in places like Tokyo, Kagoshima and Fukuoka, and there’s a good chance there’d have been a serious battle to take cities like Osaka, Kobe, and Kyoto, depending on how long the Japanese were willing to fight. It would’ve been horrible.

Frankfurt in a Cold War Hot (with no nukes initially) in the 1980s...

Hamburg, Hanover, Kiel, Munich etc. Basically, any West German city, depending on how far west NATO allows the Warsaw Pact to get before nukes fly. Being a little different, we could add some East German cities, or Czech ones, like Leipzig, or Cheb.

rHlNWXlqgOSMgSMU7BdX1Ztd6fLpgh7gtXimLj2MkxA.png
That is just sick. Who here needs explanation?

Man, that was a shockingly good game. I wish we had more alt history strategy games like it.
Yeah man, agreed. Wish we got a sequel. The thing is that I noticed is that companies that make masterpiece games often shut down years later, thus cancelling the possibility of a sequel.

It has happened all too many times now.

I really wish we get to see more of the Asian Front, Middle Eastern Front, and the Caribbean Front had there been a sequel.
Hamburg, Hanover, Kiel, Munich etc. Basically, any West German city, depending on how far west NATO allows the Warsaw Pact to get before nukes fly. Being a little different, we could add some East German cities, or Czech ones, like Leipzig, or Cheb.
There are some stories here on the forum depicting urban combat in European cities in WWIII.

The thing is that I noticed is that companies that make masterpiece games often shut down years later, thus cancelling the possibility of a sequel.

It has happened all too many times now.
I said it in another thread but the example of this that’ll always piss me off is Sleeping Dogs. We should’ve gotten a sequel to that masterpiece.

Post ww2 there have been some large urban battles like
Sarajevo in 90s ( or was it just a siege?)
Mogadishu
Fallujah
Mosul
Khorramshahr
Hue
Algiers ?
Kabul in 90s
please free to add more
What other cities could have been sites of large scale urban warfare and in which setting / scenario
Battle of Theheran if Saddam reaches the capital.

Another one: Let's say the Sino-Soviet border war in 1969 turns hot. Imagine the PLA actually invading the Soviet Far East and manage to enter Vladivostok. The Red Army may fight a bloody urban war in there.

Another one as well: The PLA manages to enter Hanoi in 1979 but the Vietnamese turn it into another Hue City.
The image of the PLA and Red Army duking it out in Vladivostok is an interesting one, but my money is on PRC being a radioactive hellscape long before the PLA got within artillery range of Vladivostok.

I just can’t see the Soviets letting the Chinese cut the Trans-Siberian Railroad and threatening their primary port on the Pacific without resorting to at minimum a tactical nuclear strike on the Chinese vanguard, which then leads to preemptive strikes on Chinese strategic nuclear assets. And if the Chinese get any missiles off or can get a bomber through, I’d expect those to be countervalue strikes due to the disparity in the PRC’s and USSR’s respective nuclear forces. Assuming a Russian city gets a dose of instant sunshine, I do not expect Moscow to hold back against Chinese cities.

The wild card in such a scenario is the US’s response. I’d expect the US (and NATO in general) to position themselves as potential mediators in a Sino-Soviet conflict. But absent moves against NATO on the western front or against SK and Japan, I’d think the US would adopt a heightened alert posture and issue strident calls for Moscow and Beijing to back off—Washington is not going to trigger global nuclear war over the loss of Beijing or Shanghai. But the threat of US intervention does open the door for a scenario posted by above.

Last edited:
I said it in another thread but the example of this that’ll always piss me off is Sleeping Dogs. We should’ve gotten a sequel to that masterpiece.
The same for Homefront which was supposed to see a EU/NATO coalition help America liberate the West from a Greater Korean Republic but THQ closed before a sequel would be made. Instead, we got a bad reboot set in a dystopian future.
The image of the PLA and Red Army duking it out in Vladivostok is an interesting one, but my money is on PRC being a radioactive hellscape long before the PLA got within artillery range of Vladivostok.

I just can’t see the Soviets letting the Chinese cut the Trans-Siberian Railroad and threatening their primary port on the Pacific without resorting to at minimum a tactical nuclear strike on the Chinese vanguard, which then leads to preemptive strikes on Chinese strategic nuclear assets. And if the Chinese get any missiles off or can get a bomber through, I’d expect those to be countervalue strikes due to the disparity in the PRC’s and USSR’s respective nuclear forces. Assuming a Russian city gets a dose of instant sunshine, I do not expect Moscow to hold back against Chinese cities.

The wild card in such a scenario is the US’s response. I’d expect the US (and NATO in general) to position themselves as potential mediators in a Sino-Soviet conflict. But absent moves against NATO on the western front or against SK and Japan, I’d think the US would adopt a heightened alert posture and issue strident calls for Moscow and Beijing to back off—Washington is not going to trigger global nuclear war over the loss of Beijing or Shanghai. But the threat of US intervention does open the door for a scenario posted by above.
Yes, the USSR would not have tolerated any Chinese incursion in its territory. The Red Army would have used every missile, bomb, and chemical weapon to stem the tide of PLA troops heading for the border.

True about the vulnerability of the Trans-Siberian RailRoad. It's the place where the Chinese can hurt the USSR in this area, as well as using H-6K bombers to threaten Vladivostok, Chita, Almaty, etc. It would hurt the USSR but the Soviet response would be much worse. China would be turned into a radioactive wasteland.

The U.S. would probably try to mediate the conflict. Any Sino-Soviet War that turns nuclear would have radiation spreading to Southeast Asia, Japan, Korea, and even Alaska.

Here are some Sino-Soviet War scenarios in the 1980s:

Historyrox

Banned
In a second, post-Gulf Iran-Iraq War, Baghdad would be something. Iranians and their allies brutally smashing into what would undoubtedly be a very desperate Saddam Hussein.

Several possibles here:

1) Amman 1970: the U.S. was preparing to intervene in support of King Hussein during Black September and both Nixon and Kissinger were well disposed to do so. Marines were with Sixth FLT (with air support from two carriers) and were prepared to land at Haifa and move overland to Jordan, and the 82nd Airborne was on alert for a possible jump on the Amman area.

2) Iran 1980: if the Hostage Crisis escalates (as it easily could have) into a shooting war, Bandar Abbas and Bushehr were likely targets for Airborne and amphibious landings.

3) Kuwait City 1991. The Iraqi Army (NOT the RGFC) is more resolutely led, and two Iraqi Army Divisions make a stand even as the rest of the Army in Kuwait is either routed or destroyed. 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions have to fight their way in as the Iraqis try to turn it into Hue City.

4) Belgrade 1999: The Serbs don't give in to the NATO bombing campaign, and a ground offensive out of Hungary is launched by NATO

5) Baghdad 2003: Saddam reluctantly lets his generals run the war, and the Iraqis make their stand with regular forces (Army and RGFC). Iraqi generals knew that any major stand would end in defeat no matter what. But they felt that such a final stand would have made the U.S. pay a higher price for Baghdad than it did. There was a pitched battle in Northern Baghdad between a 3rd ID brigade and at least one brigade, maybe two, of RGFC who did not want to go quietly, only two miles from Saddam's palaces and parade ground, where many 3rd ID soldiers were celebrating what they (and many others) thought was the end of the war.

There was also this timeline I read in the Wiki back then in 2015-2016. The POD is Gorby is removed in a coup in 1988, causing hardliners to take over the Kremlin. Then in China, Deng is also removed in a coup of hardliners who favor greater cooperation with the Soviets.

It's like World in Conflict and War Game: The Red Dragon. We do see urban battles in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, both Korea, the Philippines, China, and Russia itself which suffers a civil war.

Manila was turned into a Stalingrad as the PLA invaded it but the AFP, the police, and civilians fought street by street (In OTL, China would not have invaded the Philippines because of the lack of sealift in 1988). Same for Seoul which the allies fought both the Chinese and North Koreans.

The turning point of the war in Europe was the Battle of Amsterdam, which turns it to the favor of the allies.

As the tide of the of the war turns to U.S. and allies, both the USSR and China suffer a second civil war. We also see urban warfare occur in both Russian and Chinese cities. Later, NATO recognizes the government of Boris Yeltsin of the Russian Republic against the hardliners and sends a peacekeeping force. In China, the CCP is overthrown and new democratic government takes place.

Britain vs PRC over Hong Kong, 1984.

Similar scenario: