Biggest urban battles that never happened

This was an ugly thought I had while the 9/11 attacks were happening. It was so obviously an act of war that I thought there were also hidden suicidal fanatics in the city and hundred or so of them would have begun rampaging up and down the streets of New York with automatic weapons while pursuing planned objectives.

Last edited:
Post ww2 there have been some large urban battles like
Sarajevo in 90s ( or was it just a siege?)
Mogadishu
Fallujah
Mosul
Khorramshahr
Hue
Algiers ?
Kabul in 90s
please free to add more
What other cities could have been sites of large scale urban warfare and in which setting / scenario
Second Battle of Barcelona, Second Battle of Madrid, if events after Francos feath turn the wrong way.

Battle of Paris in an event of French Civil War in the 1960es.

Battle of Berlin 1919, after WW1 resumes because of failed Versailles.

Siege of Kopenhagen, if Germans fighting Denmark in WW1.

New York City 1994 during the World Cup. Bands of soccer hooligans battle it out on the streets and neighborhoods.

The US's reaction to NYC having the world cup in 1994 resulting in riots- "What the hell is a world cup and why are people smashing stuff about it? Is this some sort of competitive craft dinnerware making competition that went wrong?"

But seriously outside of a few soccer prone immigrant groups in 1994 I'm surprised the US even tried to get the World Cup back then.

This was an ugly thought I had while the 9/11 attacks were happening. It was so obviously an act of war that I thought there were also hidden suicidal fanatics in the city and hundred or so of them would have begun rampaging up and down the streets of New York with automatic weapons while pursuing planned objectives.

Yeah I remember that being a sort of pretty common thought. Everyone thought that 9/11 was just the first taste and things would get way worse from there.

I remember during the Chemical Weapons attack scare of like 2002/2003 that my dad actually bought a bunch of that rigid plastic sheeting and duct tape to construct a emergency shelter if need be.

I mean I know that those commonly got mocked afterwards with the whole "What are you going to breath if you have sealed off all outside air?" jokes but from what I understand at least for something like say Chlorine where it would drift with the wind pretty fast meaning that you would only need to be sheltered for a fairly short period it would actually be useful.

The US's reaction to NYC having the world cup in 1994 resulting in riots- "What the hell is a world cup and why are people smashing stuff about it? Is this some sort of competitive craft dinnerware making competition that went wrong?"

But seriously outside of a few soccer prone immigrant groups in 1994 I'm surprised the US even tried to get the World Cup back then.
Soccer was the international sport; that was a large part of wanting the World Cup. The sport's popularity was increasing in the USA. It was a business opportunity with a huge potential for growth.

Soccer was the international sport; that was a large part of wanting the World Cup. The sport's popularity was increasing in the USA. It was a business opportunity with a huge potential for growth.

True. But especially in 1994 for the vast majority of American's soccer was something for pre teens or more likely something to mock. Yeah it was a long term business growth opportunity but in 1994 it was way way less popular in the US.

Post ww2 there have been some large urban battles like
Sarajevo in 90s ( or was it just a siege?)
Mogadishu
Fallujah
Mosul
Khorramshahr
Hue
Algiers ?
Kabul in 90s
please free to add more
What other cities could have been sites of large scale urban warfare and in which setting / scenario
Battles for major East European cities during Operation Unthinkable.

Paris in WWI. Battle of Frontiers goes worse: BEF gets wiped out, 3rd Army gets cut off near Verdun, etc. Germans stall out more or less along the line of the Seine River and then across southern Lorraine to Mulhouse. However, Paris refuses to surrender even though the Germans force a crossing of the Seine. However, they only temporarily completely cut off the city before being driven back. Lines stabilize as the Germans are overextended and the British rejoin. The following years see brutal fighting as French launch offensives to push the Germans away from Paris, while the Germans in turn try to crush it. Over the next 30 months each side will suffer several million casualties in the great siege of Paris. Paris becomes a moonscape, seeing a much larger and longer-lasting version of the Siege of Stalingrad. By the end of 1916, the allies have weakened and the German jaws shut around Paris and the true siege starts. As starvation sets in in Paris, the French government agrees to an armistice in Spring 1917. The bloodiest battle in human history finally ends.

How about a battle of Constantinople during the Turkish/Greek War. Or perhaps various Zionist militia's and British forces fighting in Haifa or Jerusalem or Tel Aviv in the event of I dunno a large scale anti British/Jewish revolt by local arabs as part of the North African conflict backed by I dunno the Germans somehow managing to land say a batallion or something of paratroopers or such. So not the longest battle but one that is very intensely brutal.

I learned from The Armchair Historian regarding India's role in World War II that the only time Japan attacked the Raj was when it bombed Calcutta. I could imagine an alternate scenario if the IJA managed to push past Burma, Calcutta would have seen a major urban battle between the Commonwealth forces and the Japanese.

Africa has a wide variety of possibilities: Freetown during the Sierra Leone Civil War; Addis Ababa during the Ethiopian Civil War; or Kinshasa during the Second Congo War could all have become the scene of significant combat if rebel forces had reached them (or in Kinshasa's case, if the government forces had chosen to seriously attempt to defend it).
Um, the RUF did enter Freetown during the Sierra Leone civil war. They got as far as the Congo Cross area of the city before being stopped.