Benevolent non-democratic government?

Could there be a non-democratic country that respects individual and economic rights to the same level as Western Europe or the United States? People are allowed to speak their minds, have private businesses, invest, move around, no censorship, religious freedom, women’s rights, even gay rights, and etc. They just can’t vote or hold the highest offices. They can be appointed or earn position through merit. That is acceptable but they can’t get in through elections. Living standards must be considered the same as the first world which is the easier part considering the gulf oil rich countries. Could a nation like this develop?

I'm working on a TL with a Japan that looks a bit like that, except local scales matters are resolved through elected mayors, the rest is managed by the Emperor and the ministers he appointed.

Such a government can rise from extreme monarchism mixed with disbelief towards elected representatives

I'm working on a TL with a Japan that looks a bit like that, except local scales matters are resolved through elected mayors, the rest is managed by the Emperor and the ministers he appointed.

Such a government can rise from extreme monarchism mixed with disbelief towards elected representatives
Sounds really interesting. I would read that. I always thought a surviving Japanese Empire would develop to be like that. A Japanese Empire still ruled by a emperor that still develops anime and similar pop culture and achieves the high tech industry and progress of our world would be interesting see. It would also be a superpower. Imagine a modern Japanese Empire with the technology and industry they have currently.

So a benevolent monarchy/dictatorship? South Korea during its dictatorships probably hits most of these points.
Yes, it can be a dictatorship or monarchy but not a symbolic one. It must be a monarch that still rules the nation or if a limited monarch that doesn’t have a elections but the other positions or military checks his power somewhat

Sounds really interesting. I would read that. Imagine a modern Japanese Empire with the technology and industry they have currently.

Well, it's a TL for HoI4, I've started a tiny thread about it in the Media and Fandom section, but I'm mostly skecthing how the world looks like for now. However, the Japanese society in this TL is also very rural as they created this isolationnist system by desappointment towards westernization.

However, it's also possible that they keep industrialization while changing their government model, this would create Japan with power shared between the Court and the Zaibatsus

Last edited:
Well, it's a TL for HoI4, I've started a tiny thread about it in the Media and Fandom secton, but I'm mostly skecthing how the world looks like for now. However, the Japanese society in this TL is also very rural as they created this isolationnist system by desappointment towards westernization.

However, it's also possible that they keep industrialization while changing their government model, this would create Japan with power shared between the Court and the Zaibatsus
Japan has always been pretty urbanized and educated population those even before industrialization. Japan could develop into a mix of technocracy and meritocracy where your skills, wealth, influence, and talent decides your position in politics and life.

Japan has always been pretty urbanized and educated population those even before industrialization. Japan could develop into a mix of technocracy and meritocracy where your skills, wealth, influence, and talent decides your position in politics and life.

Less industrialized doesn't mean less urbanized or educated, just that craftsmenship is favorized over factories

Less industrialized doesn't mean less urbanized or educated, just that craftsmenship is favorized over factories
I feel like being urbanize eventually leads to that. A urbanized society has a large merchant class that will invest and follow industrial trends because it leads to more money. Your population being educated will also fall into innovating things which leads to more industrization.

I feel like being urbanize eventually leads to that. A urbanized society has a large merchant class that will invest and follow industrial trends because it leads to more money. Your population being educated will also fall into innovating things which leads to more industrization.

Except if your society has a disdain towards factories and values domestic handwork and similar things

Except if your society has a disdain towards factories and values domestic handwork and similar things
I could be wrong but I don’t think any
luddites group has ever been successful. Also if you don’t industrialize especially as a island like Japan Europeans or a industrial nation will eventually take you over or puppet you. I think Japan will industrialize out of self preservation

I could be wrong but I don’t think any
luddites group has ever been successful. Also if you don’t industrialize especially as a island like Japan Europeans or a industrial nation will eventually take you over or puppet you. I think Japan will industrial out of self preservation

True, I'll work on this on my HoI4 timeline, thank you for criticizing what I made