Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I'd share these, the Xia and Shang Dynasties (the first two real Dynasities of China).

I'm currently working on the Tang Dynasty and, do to the poor quality in the original series, and not wanting to have to re-do China every fucking time, may do or re-do all the Dynasties before the Qing.
In case you don't have it already, this older map might interest you (not my work).

han206.png

Bolivia does'nt claim that area, in fact it does'nt technically claim anything, rather it demands an unspecified conduit to the Sea.
Technically no and I'm amenable to changing it, but I do feel we need to show this dispute in some way, even if the boundaries aren't precisely defined. A dotted claim border seems workable here.

Did a minor update to the administrative map that Youkai is currently working on:

- added Moscow and St. Petersburg, the two federal cities of Russia.
- Made some changes to the Netherlands provinces.
- removed the divisions in Switzerland as those are the language areas, not the cantons (which are way too small to be shown with any degree of accuracy).

worldamaxidivisionscomp.png

Technically no and I'm amenable to changing it, but I do feel we need to show this dispute in some way, even if the boundaries aren't precisely defined. A dotted claim border seems workable here.

Wait, I thought we as a community had done away with dotted lines in general?

removed the divisions in Switzerland as those are the language areas, not the cantons (which are way too small to be shown with any degree of accuracy).

Removing them altogether though gives the impression that Switzerland is a unitary state though, which is of course grossly incorrect. Some of the larger cantons at least could be shown, such as Vaud, Bern, Valais, Ticino, and Grisons.

No, we just came up with better ways for the different things they were used for, we never completely dropped them.

Actually, in cases in which a countruy claims an area generally, but not an exact border, dotted line claims would work, though this of course would'nt staisft the Bolivia situation..

In general yes, but they're still used in a few places I think, such as the Canadian maritime provincial/state borders, and in that Napoleonic series you did in the areas where effective human government hasn't been established yet.

Removing them altogether though gives the impression that Switzerland is a unitary state though, which is of course grossly incorrect. Some of the larger cantons at least could be shown, such as Vaud, Bern, Valais, Ticino, and Grisons.
No, I don't think so. The subdivisions of the federalized countries are shown in the same capacity as those of the unitary ones, so there's no distinction there. Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, and some other countries aren't detailed for presumably much the same reason as the one I stated. You can certainly try showing it, in any case.

In general yes, but they're still used in a few places I think, such as the Canadian maritime provincial/state borders, and in that Napoleonic series you did in the areas where effective human government hasn't been established yet.

Ah, but I was instructed to remove them by the other posters, and diligently did so. Thus it was my impression that we don't use dotted lines any more.

I'm fairly sure we do...

What? Since when? :confused:

@ Beedock: Probably because Mexico hasn't been considered 'important enough' so far. We don't differentiate state/territorial colors for Argentina either, just as an example. You bring up a good point though, we probably could use/should have state/territory colors for all the states that currently have colors and had a strong federalist character.

What? Since when? :confused:

@ Beedock: Probably because Mexico hasn't been considered 'important enough' so far. We don't differentiate state/territorial colors for Argentina either, just as an example. You bring up a good point though, we probably could use/should have state/territory colors for all the states that currently have colors and had a strong federalist character.

While I don't oppose one, in the case of Mexico the problem is that Mexico's color is so dark as it is that you'll either end up with something that either even more similar to another color or way to dark.

Dark? I thought Mexico was much lighter now. Didn't we switch Mexico & Peru's colors, so now Peru is the dark purplish and Mexico the magenta?

EDIT: Here we are.

Fx0MO.png

So a potential Mexican territorial color could be RGB 182-0-37;

sfaqR.png

The closet color to that in the RCS is the 'Norse State in Britain,' but I think its different enough to be able to contrast easily; and its not likely the two would ever be used on the same map.

Here's a patch I've been working on for Iraq during the Iraq War up until 2009 (when the violence largely stopped).

I've been getting mixed information on Kurdistan's de facto independence before 2007, though, so if anyone has any info that can conclusively state its situation before '07, I'd appreciate it.

iraqpatch0309.png

We should have some maps like that. Search the dates of the beginning and the end of the war, they should come up.

I already tried that and didn't find anything, so I was hoping that they were elsewhere, such as on the Wiki, or I had somehow missed them, or someone was in the process of making one, or etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.