As Dreamers Do Part Deux

Entertainment News for Mid to Late August 2005
Entertainment News for Mid to Late August 2005

President Weinstein's message to Louisiana and Mississippi residents: "Get out now!"
- The Washington Post

Governor Blanco, Mayor Nagin accuse Weinstein of overstepping his authority. Weinstein defended his decision to order mandatory evacuees claiming Blanco and Nagin were "dithering around."
- The Baton Rouge Advocate

AMC Theatres, Mann Theatres and Regal Cinemas temporarily close their locations in the Gulf Coast states ahead of Hurricane Katrina.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Citing Weinstein's invocation of the Defense Production Act, all hotels at Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando will be open to Katrina evacuees seeking shelter.
- The Orlando Sentinel

Disney announces that Katrina evacuees will have first priority on all hotel rooms on the Disneyland Resort. Disney also said that at least six empty soundstages on the 20th Century-Fox backlot will serve as shelter for Katrina evacuees and staging areas for the National Guard to supply MRE's, medicine and other essentials if necessary.
- The Orange County Register

Peacock announces that the Sheraton hotel adjacent to Universal Studios will give first priority to Katrina evacuees seeking shelter in California.
- KNBC-TV Los Angeles local news.

Six Kings Hollywood Park will open the Secretariat Hotel to Katrina evacuees free of charge.
- KCBS-TV Los Angeles local news.

Empty soundstages at Jim Henson Studios in Culver City will house Katrina evacuees if necessary.
- KABC-TV Local news.

Citing the Defense Production Act proclamation by President Weinstein, Bally says Katrina evacuees will have priority for hotel rooms adjacent to the Worlds of Wonder theme park. Turner will follow suit with free hotel rooms at the MGM Grand for evacuees. Caesars Palace and other hotels along the strip have yet to announce a decision.
- The Las Vegas Review-Journal

The Sports Page
The Saints/Browns preseason game originally slated to play tonight at the Superdome will instead be played in our backyard at the Horseshoe. Goodyear Stadium, the Browns' venue since the late Nineties, shares parking space with Jacobs Field (home to the MLB Guardians) and Gund Arena (home to the NBA Cavaliers and NHL Moondogs). Therefore, because of conflicts with the Guardians' weekend homestand against the Portland Beavers, and AEW presenting Monday Night Raw at the Gund Arena the next Monday, the Saints and Browns will borrow Ohio Stadium tonight.
- The Columbus Dispatch; August 26, 2005

A tearful Jerry West announces that the New Orleans Jazz will open training camp and possibly the first month or so of the regular season in Oklahoma City, where they will temporarily share the Ford Center with the NHL Twisters.
- ESPN

AEW, WCW and the NWA quickly cancel tour dates originally slated for Louisiana arenas.
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated

The IHL announces that the New Orleans Revelers will play at least the first two months of the regular season at American Airlines Center in Dallas.
- The Hockey News

General manager Mickey Loomis says the Saints will likely have to start the season on the road or at a neutral site.
- ESPN

Reflections on Katrina evacuations

Daphne St. Pierre (Older half-sister of Gus St. Pierre and a teacher at an elementary school in the Lower Ninth Ward)

"When Weinstein came on the TV and told everybody to get out, my first instinct would've been to get in my car and go straight to California to stay with Aunt Ivy. But I didn't leave right away because I've had students whose families who don't have any means of transportation, nor do they have money for buses, trains or hotels. Gus was in Canada shooting a movie and it would've taken him too long to cross the border back to America to come pick me up, so I told him not to worry about me. I commandeered a neighbor's motorhome to pick up my students from the previous school year and their families. Then we hit the road."

Kermit Ruffins (Jazz musician)
"One night, I went to the French Quarter to bar hop when all of a sudden the music stopped and everybody was glued to the TV. Harvey Weinstein got on the news hollering at us to get out of town before the hurricane hit. Next morning, I grabbed my trumpet, boarded up my windows, got in my car and left."

Deuce McAllister (Running back; New Orleans Saints)
"We went straight from Columbus to Las Vegas for our last game of the preseason against the Raiders. Before we went to Columbus, I had packed a week's worth of clothes like it was a little vacation. That was the thought process."

Steve Gleason (Defensive back; New Orleans Saints)
"At the time, I was focused on football and didn't realize this hurricane would change not only the history of New Orleans, but also my life."

Daphne St. Pierre (Older half-sister of Gus St. Pierre and a teacher at an elementary school in the Lower Ninth Ward)

"When Weinstein came on the TV and told everybody to get out, my first instinct would've been to get in my car and go straight to California to stay with Aunt Ivy. But I didn't leave right away because I've had students whose families who don't have any means of transportation, nor do they have money for buses, trains or hotels. Gus was in Canada shooting a movie and it would've taken him too long to cross the border back to America to come pick me up, so I told him not to worry about me. I commandeered a neighbor's motorhome to pick up my students from the previous school year and their families. Then we hit the road."

Kermit Ruffins (Jazz musician)
"One night, I went to the French Quarter to bar hop when all of a sudden the music stopped and everybody was glued to the TV. Harvey Weinstein got on the news hollering at us to get out of town before the hurricane hit. Next morning, I grabbed my trumpet, boarded up my windows, got in my car and left."

Deuce McAllister (Running back; New Orleans Saints)
"We went straight from Columbus to Las Vegas for our last game of the preseason against the Raiders. Before we went to Columbus, I had packed a week's worth of clothes like it was a little vacation. That was the thought process."

Steve Gleason (Defensive back; New Orleans Saints)
"At the time, I was focused on football and didn't realize this hurricane would change not only the history of New Orleans, but also my life."
Oh....

My.....

God....

What was the results of Hurricane Katrina ITTL?

We'll the Katrina hurricane affected some movies including Gramercy's The Skeleton Key, Lionsgate's Red Eye and Dimension/Turner's The Brothers Grimm, which may have been postponed. But movies of next month included Fox's Transporter 2, Destination Films' The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Hollywood Pictures' An Unfinished Life, Gramercy's Cry Wolf, Warner Bros.' Corpse Bride, DreamWorks' Just Like Heaven, Dimension Films' Scorpion Reapers (OTL title is Venom), Disney/Fox's The Greatest Game Ever Played, Miramax/Touchstone's (OTL Universal made the movie) Serenity and Universal's Airport (remake of the 1970 film, OTL is Flightplan and remake of The Lady Vanishes).

President Weinstein's message to Louisiana and Mississippi residents: "Get out now!"
- The Washington Post

Governor Blanco, Mayor Nagin accuse Weinstein of overstepping his authority. Weinstein defended his decision to order mandatory evacuees claiming Blanco and Nagin were "dithering around."
- The Baton Rouge Advocate

AMC Theatres, Mann Theatres and Regal Cinemas temporarily close their locations in the Gulf Coast states ahead of Hurricane Katrina.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Citing Weinstein's invocation of the Defense Production Act, all hotels at Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando will be open to Katrina evacuees seeking shelter.
- The Orlando Sentinel

Disney announces that Katrina evacuees will have first priority on all hotel rooms on the Disneyland Resort. Disney also said that at least six empty soundstages on the 20th Century-Fox backlot will serve as shelter for Katrina evacuees and staging areas for the National Guard to supply MRE's, medicine and other essentials if necessary.
- The Orange County Register

Peacock announces that the Sheraton hotel adjacent to Universal Studios will give first priority to Katrina evacuees seeking shelter in California.
- KNBC-TV Los Angeles local news.

Six Kings Hollywood Park will open the Secretariat Hotel to Katrina evacuees free of charge.
- KCBS-TV Los Angeles local news.

Empty soundstages at Jim Henson Studios in Culver City will house Katrina evacuees if necessary.
- KABC-TV Local news.

Citing the Defense Production Act proclamation by President Weinstein, Bally says Katrina evacuees will have priority for hotel rooms adjacent to the Worlds of Wonder theme park. Turner will follow suit with free hotel rooms at the MGM Grand for evacuees. Caesars Palace and other hotels along the strip have yet to announce a decision.
- The Las Vegas Review-Journal
There won't be a New Orleans left by the time Hurricane Katrina is finished, isn't there?

Hurricane Katrina (August 29, 2005)
Hurricane Katrina
210827-hurricane-katrina-rescue-cs-120p.jpg

smqm24gcevytxfnmvo9u.jpg

After Gus St. Pierre's testimony to the Senate in March of 2004, the White House sent the Army Corps of Engineers to see if they could perform badly-needed maintenance on levees that hadn't been touched since they were first built. It was discovered that many levees were slowly sinking under the surface. The USACE piled sandbags like Legos on top of some of the existing levees, including those along the Industrial Canal. Those quick fixes would slow down the flooding, but only delayed Katrina's wrath.

Ahead of the Hurricane, all oil companies evacuated their refineries along the coastline.

On August 29, 2005, the eye of Hurricane Katrina made landfall in the small town of Buras, Louisiana. Soon, water from Lake Pontchartrain overflowed and flooded the streets of New Orleans. Entire neighborhoods, including the Ninth Ward, were soon submerged in as many as 20 feet of water.

The Superdome, which was being used as a shelter of last resort, would lose electricity, running water and plumbing. The outer membrane of the Superdome's roof began to tear off the building, allowing rainwater to leak into the seating bowl and onto the field.

On August 30, with communications infrastructure in New Orleans completely decimated, the White House stepped in, dispatching FEMA and all military branches to work together on relief efforts.

Many of the MRE's were provided to the nearly 35,000 sheltered at the Superdome due to the stadium's refrigerators being inoperable. By September 2, FEMA and the National Guard had evacuated the remaining refugees from the Superdome to shelters in California, Arizona, Florida, Texas and Nevada.​

Entertainment News for Late August and Early September 2005

20th Century-Fox confirms they have placed Gus St. Pierre on bereavement leave for five days to mourn relatives who lost their lives during Hurricane Katrina. St. Pierre says he intends to return to Vancouver to continue working on X-Men 3, albeit with a heavy heart.
- CNN

On his first episode since Katrina, David Letterman changed the format of The Tonight Show to be "...on the serious side" in light of the tragedy on the Gulf Coast. Other late night talk show hosts followed suit that same night.
- NBC

At the last minute, Disney scrapped its planned anthology series broadcast of The Sound of Music, which was meant to air on Fox to celebrate the film's 40th anniversary. Instead, the timeslot was filled by a telethon to help Katrina victims.
- Entertainment Tonight

AEW hopes to host the first public gathering in the state of Louisiana since Katrina.

The Sports Page
The NFL has announced that the Saints' scheduled home opener against the Marauders will instead be played at Legendary Field [1]. To make this possible, the NFL and MLB worked together to move the Orioles' homestand against the Devil Rays to St. Petersburg. This is due to Legendary Field and Oriole Park at Camden Yards both sharing the same parking space.
- The Baltimore Sun

NBA Commissioner Jerry West: "Our long term goal is for the Jazz to return to New Orleans when it is safe for them to do so. In the meantime, we appreciate Oklahoma City stepping forward to host the team for what we hope will be only a temporary basis."
- ESPN

[1] Known IOTL as M&T Bank Stadium.

20th Century-Fox confirms they have placed Gus St. Pierre on bereavement leave for five days to mourn relatives who lost their lives during Hurricane Katrina. St. Pierre says he intends to return to Vancouver to continue working on X-Men 3, albeit with a heavy heart.
- CNN
Maybe Matthew Vaughn can fill in for him

- CNN

On his first episode since Katrina, David Letterman changed the format of The Tonight Show to be "...on the serious side" in light of the tragedy on the Gulf Coast. Other late night talk show hosts followed suit that same night.
- NBC

At the last minute, Disney scrapped its planned anthology series broadcast of The Sound of Music, which was meant to air on Fox to celebrate the film's 40th anniversary. Instead, the timeslot was filled by a telethon to help Katrina victims.
- Entertainment Tonight

AEW hopes to host the first public gathering in the state of Louisiana since Katrina.
1: I just feel awful for him.
2: I don't blame him or them.
3: There's always the next anniversary, but this is leagues more important.
4: To each their own on this.
5: On a different note, did TTL's Hurricane Katrina flood all of New Orleans? Or is there some stuff that can be salvaged post-2005 about the city?

NBA Commissioner Jerry West: "Our long term goal is for the Jazz to return to New Orleans when it is safe for them to do so. In the meantime, we appreciate Oklahoma City stepping forward to host the team for what we hope will be only a temporary basis."
- ESPN
And I Hope Sometime in the Future the NBA will expand to Oklahoma City thanks to Hurricane Katrina and maybe we want to get a team in Las Vegas.

- CNN

- NBC

- Entertainment Tonight

The Sports Page
The NFL has announced that the Saints' scheduled home opener against the Marauders will instead be played at Legendary Field [1]. To make this possible, the NFL and MLB worked together to move the Orioles' homestand against the Devil Rays to St. Petersburg. This is due to Legendary Field and Oriole Park at Camden Yards both sharing the same parking space.
- The Baltimore Sun

- ESPN

[1] Known IOTL as M&T Bank Stadium.
1. Just cancel the movie, there’s no way Gus’s heart is in it.
2. Good
3. Makes sense
4. Ok
5. Works for me.
6. Please don’t move the SuperSonics if OKC ends up successful for the Jazz.