As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

1998 Cable Network Launches
  • Here are the big cable network launches that took place in the early months of 1998:

January 1, 1998
    Odyssey (Co-owned by Paramount Communications and Crown Media)

At the moment, Odyssey's programming consists of reruns from the Norman Lear library and old Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movies.

Toon Disney (Owned by Disney Enterprises, Inc.)
    Right now, most of Toon Disney's lineup is reruns of old Disney and Grantray-Lawrence cartoons. The 1945-63 Fox Movietoons, as well as the 1985-90 revival shorts are still licensed to the Cartoon Network at the moment, but will join the Toon Disney lineup by 2000.

DIS: Disney Information Service (Owned by Disney Enterprises, Inc.; Pronounced "Diz")
    Launches February 1, 1998
    *Butterflies the OTL Fox News Channel*
    On-Air Talent: Shepard Smith, Alan Colmes, Christiane Amanpour and I think I need two or three more.

The Backstreet Project (1998 TV Series)
  • bsb-3.jpg

From L to R: Top Speed (Brian), Illusioneer (Howie), Ninja Man (Nick), Ordnance (AJ) and Power Lord (Kevin)

The Backstreet Project

Launched on January 10, 1998 on Fox.

Created by
    Nick Carter
    Daniel Abbott
    Rachel Stone-Abbott

Produced by
    20th Century-Fox Television
    Grantray-Lawrence Hollywood
    Charm City Entertainment

Distributed by
    Buena Vista Domestic Television

Main Voices
    Nick Carter as Nick Carter/Ninja Man
    Howie Dorough as Howie Dorough/Illusioneer
    AJ McLean as AJ McLean/Ordinance
    Brian Littrell as Brian Littrell/Top Speed
    Kevin Richardson as Kevin Richardson/Power Lord
    Mark Hamill as Zator (Main Villain)
    Judith Barsi as Zanell (Zator's daughter who ends up rebelling against him to help the BSB/Cyber Crusaders)

Additional Voices (in Alphabetical Order)
    Hank Azaria
    Mary Kay Bergman
    Mayim Bialik
    Nancy Cartwright
    Dan Castellaneta
    Tara Charendoff
    Cam Clarke
    Townsend Coleman
    Jim Cummings
    Alex Desert
    Brad Dourif
    Pat Fraley
    Tress MacNielle
    Samantha Newark
    Rob Paulsen
    Greg Rhodes
    Neel Singh
    Shari Stoner
    Fred Tatasciore
    Lenore Zann

Special Guests for Season One
    Gus St. Pierre
    Stan Lee
    Cyndi Lauper
    Dave Grohl
    Weird Al Yankovic
    Richard Williams​

Entertainment News for February 1998
  • Universal Studios acquires the film and theme park rights to JK Rowling's book Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone ahead of Scholastic's plans to release the book in North America later this year.
    - BBC News

Fox's Backstreet Project and SBC's Men in Black tied for first place in Saturday Morning ratings.
    - TV Guide

Home Box Office pays $33 million USD for the rights to produce weekly tapings of ECW beginning in September.
    - Pro Wrestling Illustrated

Cedar Fair says they're close to ironing out a sale to TimeWarner.
    - The Cleveland Plain-Dealer

Daniel Abbott on Larry King Live (February 10, 1998)
  • 636540692742167429-AP-YE-Entertainment-Story-of-the-Year.jpg
    de5c4uz-9cffd14a-d8a4-4707-8526-069e20922b59.jpg

@nick_crenshaw82 If I could have an updated image of Daniel at age 40, that would be nice. Thanks.

Larry King: Good evening from Washington. The Backstreet Boys' rise on the Billboard charts continues and they are just getting started. Last month, Fox launched a Saturday morning animated series based on the group called the Backstreet Project. And my guest tonight is the man who helped bring the quintet to the screen. He's a 23 year veteran of the cartoon business, having started with the legendary Richard Williams in London at age 16. In two months, he will turn 40. His career has taken him from Southampton to Disney by way of Columbia, United Artists, Filmation, Hanna-Barbera and Paramount. Here in Washington tonight is Daniel Abbott.

Daniel Abbott: Thanks for having me on the programme. Although, I do wish the lads were here because the show was really their idea.

LK: Well, you're in luck because the Boys are touring right now and my producer says they're listening to our interview backstage at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle. Their North American tour, by the way, kicked off last month with Gus St. Pierre opening up. Now, tell me how the show came about.

DA: It started with a chance encounter with their managers Johnny Wright and Lou Pearlman. Both men had made arrangements for NSYNC to appear in a feature film for Warner Bros. in which the group is to form an alliance with the Looney Tunes gang. By this point, I had been working on The Simpsons for four and a half years. I was told that Murakami-Wolf-Swenson and Screen Gems were each offered a chance to work with the Boys but each turned them down because of concerns over likeness rights and such. Without hesitation, I immediately raised my hand and said I'd volunteer to do the show, provided that the Boys get 3 million each, and Rachel joined me on the staff.

LK: How does this show differ from other series based on pop music icons?

DA: I remember as a kid being a bit disappointed that the Beatles' speaking voices on Yellow Submarine were provided by different actors. When Rachel and I still worked together on the Movietoon revival shorts, she received an offer from DiC for a series based on New Kids on the Block. When she learned that they couldn't get the actual members do the voices, she chose instead to work with Steven Spielberg and Tom Ruegger at Warners. And because of those experiences, I felt like I needed to have the Boys provide their own voices to be as authentic as possible. But even in April of '97 when they came in to record their lines for the programme, I had to move quickly because they were finishing their current album and they had two music video shoots later in the summer. That, and Brian had to undergo heart surgery.

LK: But you did take the time to get the know the group, right?

DA: Yes. Nick was really the driving force in getting the lads behind the project. When Nick mentioned he liked comic books, that's when I brought in Stan Lee to help me develop superhero personas for each of the lads. Rachel has been mentoring Gus St. Pierre through his transition from teen heartthrob to adult actor and I didn't realize until then that he and AJ had appeared together on a few Nickelodeon projects several years ago. So when AJ lobbied to bring Gus onto the programme as a special guest, that was pretty easy to arrange. Howie replaced Greg Rhodes as Leonardo on the third Ninja Turtle picture because Greg's heroin habit had gotten out of control. Kevin had been a cast member at Disney-Fox Studios before he joined the group and I learned later that he and Brian are cousins.

LK: Was this a project you've been wanting to do for a long time, or did it fall on your lap?

DA: A little bit of both. I had been wanting to do a cartoon with a popstar since 1979. When I worked in Atlanta for United Artists, I was hoping Richard Williams could get Queen to do a feature film with us based on Bohemian Rhapsody, but they had already made a commitment to Flash Gordon. I sent demo reels to Aerosmith, AC/DC, the Stones, all of them turned me down. After I got settled at Disney, I tried to get Ozzy on board, but the best I could get from him was to do a DTV video of Crazy Train. A few years went by and I hoped to at least make a music video with Metallica, but the best I could get from them was a licence from their label to use Enter Sandman for another DTV video. I did manage to get the Jimi Hendrix estate and Soundgarden to cooperate on the clip that aired on VH1 a while back where I mashed up Are You Experienced and Rusty Cage with footage from The Sorcerer's Apprentice.​

Last edited:
    Entertainment News for Late February 1998
  • Industry insiders: Universal's preemptive move to acquire the Harry Potter film rights should be a wake up call to all of Hollywood.
    - Variety

Geisel estate reaches an agreement with Universal on a Grinch remake slated for 2000.
    - The Hollywood Reporter

New Line Cinema confirms principal photography on the long awaited Lord of the Rings trilogy will begin in October of 1999.
    - Variety

Golden Harvest confirms a summer 1999 release date for both Inspector Gadget and Sailor Moon 2.
    - Access Hollywood

RKO Radio Pictures says they will begin production on Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek script the day after Star Trek: Insurrection hits theatres.
    - Entertainment Tonight

New Line Cinema enters negotiations with M. Night Shyamalan on a possible remake of the 1979 film The Sixth Sense. Shyamalan is currently working on Wide Awake for Gramercy.
    - Variety

The Big Lebowski (1998 Film)
  • The Big Lebowski
    the-big-lebowski-e1520362797168.jpg

Released by Hyperion Pictures on March 6, 1998

Cast and Crew
    Same as OTL

Notes
    - The unexpected success of this film inspired the birth of the Splitsville chain of bowling alleys.
    - From this point forward, most films released IOTL under the Fox Searchlight banner will be released under Hyperion.​

Entertainment News for March 1998
  • Entertainment News for March 1998

The Odyssey Network appoints former Nickelodeon president Geraldine Laybourne as its new head of children's programming. Meanwhile at Nick, Herb Scannell takes over in Laybourne's place.
    - TV Guide

As Herb Scannell succeeds Geraldine Laybourne at Nick, the network extends its live action production deal with All That creators Mike Tollin and Brian Robbins.
    - Entertainment Tonight

20th Century-Fox officially begins pre-production on the long awaited X-Men movie, with Rachel Stone-Abbott on board to direct.
    - Wizard magazine

Universal is on the hunt for a director to bring the Gemini superheroes to the screen. Among the names rumored to be interested are Gore Verbinski, Chris Columbus, Brett Ratner, Kevin Smith, Robert Rodriguez, Joe Johnston, Joss Whedon, Christopher McQuarrie, Jonathan Mostow, Renny Harlin, David Fincher and John McTiernan.
    - Variety

Fox will interview with Brad Silberling and Tim Burton in hopes of getting the Power Pack project back on track.
    - The Hollywood Reporter

Entertainment News for April 1998
  • Titanic wins Best Picture, even as moviegoers' favorite DiCaprio leaves the ceremony empty handed.
    - Variety

Bill Cosby signs on to star on a sitcom for AEG's new cable network launching this fall.
    - TV Guide

AEG officially introduces Dan Schneider as head of children's programming for AEG TV, a new cable network being launched by billionaire Philip Anschutz for a September debut.
    - The Hollywood Reporter

With many Hollywood studios unwilling to license their television libraries to AEG TV, Anschutz receives startup capital of a generous amount. The money is rumored to be bankrolled by the Koch brothers.
    - The Wall Street Journal

Fox hires Zak Penn and Christopher McQuarrie to type up the script for the upcoming X-Men movie, expected to be released in time for Christmas 1999.
    - Wizard

Universal hires Kevin Smith to direct Captain Thunder. Based on the classic Fawcett superhero Captain Marvel, Captain Thunder is expected to arrive in theatres in the summer of 2000.
    - Reuters.

RKO Radio Pictures holds a press conference to announce that Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek project will begin production for a 2001 release.
    - Starfleet Herald, a Trek fanzine.

New Line's statement on Joss Whedon
  • Does he get exposed as an abusive scumbag sooner than he was IOTL?

Hi Andrew. Long time no see. How do you like this thread so far?

Also, Whedon's days ITTL are numbered. He was outed early in @Geekhis Khan's Henson-At-Disney thread.

Statement from New Line Productions, Inc.
    April 3, 1998

"In the past few months, we have received numerous complaints about Joss Whedon's behavior on the set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As of today, an outside legal firm will conduct an investigation into the allegations against Mr. Whedon. During this time, production on the third season of Buffy will be put on hold until the investigation is complete. If the allegations of Mr. Whedon's misconduct turn out to be true, his involvement with the series will be terminated immediately."​

Entertainment News for Mid-April 1998
  • Entertainment News for Mid-April 1998

Joss Whedon has been officially fired from Buffy the Vampire Slayer after multiple complaints surface about his behavior on the set of the popular TV series.
    - Entertainment Tonight

With ECW set to debut on HBO this September, the fourth-place NWA announce they have signed a five year deal with FX. One question remains; Who will be the marquee wrestler when NWA on FX begins this October?

Hard Copy
    anchor Bill O'Reilly entertains an offer from AEG TV.
    - Access Hollywood

Pat Robertson announces his 700 Club will return to television with a mid-morning timeslot on AEG TV. The 700 Club was canceled earlier this decade when TimeWarner acquired the former Family Channel and renamed it Warner Freeform. AEG TV, scheduled to launch this September, is backed by Philip Anschutz with help from the Koch brothers.
    - TV Guide

TNT acquires the independently produced pilot Glamazon. Created by RuPaul and rising screenwriting star JJ Abrams, Glamazon centers around Skyler Fitch, an aspiring New York City drag queen played by Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
    - Variety

Superman Lives (1998 Film)
  • b717349b3b95d64bc736235aeb40246b.jpg

Superman Lives
    Released by Columbia Pictures on May 1, 1998

Directed by
    Tim Burton

Screenplay by
    Kevin Smith
    Wesley Strick
    Dan Gilroy

Executive Producers
    Benjamin Melniker
    Michael E. Uslan

Music by
    Danny Elfman

Main Cast
    Nicolas Cage as Superman/Clark Kent
    Courtney Cox as Lois Lane
    Christopher Walken as Brainiac
    Lance Henriksen as Lex Luthor
    Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Jimmy Olsen
    Danny Glover as Perry White​

Entertainment News for Early May 1998
  • Preface: Thanks for all the well wishes this Christmas guys.

If you're Columbia-TriStar, don't celebrate too long. Superman Lives faces tough competition from Spider-Man 3 later this month.
    - Entertainment Tonight

After months of being held up in legal limbo, Simon and Schuster release "Cajun Sensation," an unauthorized biography of actor Gus St. Pierre. The delay of the release was due to St. Pierre's attorneys having accused the author of embellishing the deterioration of the relationship between Gus and his mother Bridgette. The author was also accused of exaggerating some details of the trauma Gus's sisters went through when Bridgette was married to twice-convicted child abuser John Kricfalusi.
    - Reuters

Starting June 1, Disney-backed Marvel will no longer support the Comics Code Authority, opting instead to adopt its own content rating system to identify which comics can be geared towards a more adult readership.
    - Wizard

WHO OWNS THE RIGHTS TO OUR FAVORITE CLASSIC CARTOONS?
  • WHO OWNS THE RIGHTS TO OUR FAVORITE CLASSIC CARTOONS?
    By Jerry Beck

People ask me all the time about the ownership rights to many of the classic cartoons of yesteryear. This week, I've compiled this list to assist the casual cartoon aficionados of America and abroad.

Disney
    , of course, maintains custody of the Mickey, Donald and Goofy theatrical shorts produced under Walt Disney, Sr.'s supervision. Since 1975, the Disney conglomerate has been the home to 20th Century-Fox's Movietoon cartoons produced between 1945 and 1963, which include Casper, Herman & Katnip, Little Audrey and Baby Huey. From 1985 to 1990, Fox produced a revival series of the Movietoons with varying degrees of success at the box office.

The cartoons produced by Max Fleischer, Walter Lantz and Paul Terry are a tangled web of acquisitions and mergers. In 1942, Miami-based Fleischer Studios merged with New Rochelle, NY-based Terrytoons to form Fleischer-Terry in Miami due to staff shortages resulting from World War II. Meanwhile, Walter Lantz had spent much of his career running a tight ship at his own studio with a lower budget than his rivals despite a lucrative distribution pact with Universal Pictures. In 1949, Lantz sold Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back to Walt Disney, Sr. to self-finance his feature film Hans Brinker. When that film failed, Lantz found himself in deep financial trouble. In 1952, with an impatient Universal breathing down his neck, Lantz sold his cartoon library to then-future Universal parent company MCA and merged his studio with Fleischer-Terry to form Famous Studios.

Universal still owns a fraction of the Fleischer, Terrytoons and Fleischer-Terry libraries with a few exceptions. The Fleischer-Terry Superman shorts and feature films, along with the 1944 Batman film are now owned by CBS, parent company of DC Comics since 1975. Western Publishing gained the rights to the FT Little Lulu shorts produced between 1943 and '47, only to sell the entire Lulu property to Turner Broadcasting System in the early 1990's. At the same time, Turner acquired the Popeye shorts produced from 1933 until 1957 while licensing the character from King Features Syndicate for the MGM Grand theme park.

The Fleischer-Terry/Lantz/Famous cartoon characters that remain at Universal Studios are Betty Boop. Koko the Clown, Bimbo, Grampy, Gabby, Mighty Mouse, Heckle and Jeckle, Gandy Goose, Sourpuss, Woody Woodpecker, Andy Panda, Hashimoto-San, Hector Heathcote, Deputy Dawg, Chilly Willy and the Mighty Heroes. In addition, Universal owns Alex Lovy's 1960's characters Merlin the Magic Mouse and Cool Cat.

Getting back to Ted Turner, his cartoon holdings are among his biggest revenue streams and his biggest ratings draws across most of his cable channels. First, as aforementioned, Turner owns the Popeye and Little Lulu shorts produced by Fleischer-Terry and Famous. But that's only a fraction of what Ted owns. There is also the Pre-1948 Warner Bros. cartoons which were acquired by Associated Artists Productions, only to change hands until United Artists took control in 1958. In 1982, Turner acquired Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer from the infamous Leona Helmsley. And with it, Ted gained access to Tom and Jerry, Droopy and other classic MGM characters. Then, there is the complicated story of the rights to Red Hot Riding Hood, Swing Shift Cinderella and Little Rural Riding Hood. The first two were produced during Tex Avery's brief tenure at MGM, only for 20th Century-Fox to gain control when Darryl F. Zanuck lured Tex to his studio. Rural was produced at Fox in 1949. Tex regained the rights in 1976, one year after Alan Ladd, Jr. and Gareth Wigan sold Fox to Disney. Shortly after Tex's death in 1980, his estate sold all three cartoons to Turner.

Columbia-TriStar still maintains the rights to Fox and Crow and other theatrical cartoons produced by the original incarnation of Screen Gems. Columbia also maintains custody of the theatrical shorts produced by UPA, for whom Columbia was the distributor. After both Columbia and DC Comics became part of the CBS corporate empire, the rights to the original negatives of Fleischer-Terry's shorts and films based on DC's superheroes landed in Columbia's corner. There is one other anecdote I should tell you about. In 1977, CBS acquired the rights to the 1966 Adam West Batman series from 20th Century-Fox. This transaction was mainly due to potential conflicts of interest Fox's then-new parent company Disney would've faced due to their 1973 purchase of DC's archrival Marvel.​

Entertainment News for Mid May 1998
  • Entertainment News for Mid May 1998

In Silver Spring, Discovery Networks held a press conference announcing the return of Marty Stouffer's highly acclaimed nature series Wild America to the small screen. Renewed interest in the series, which ran on SBC during the 1980s, has been inspired by Touchstone Pictures' release of the Wild America movie in July of last year. Classic episodes will air on Animal Planet this fall while new episodes will debut in December.
    - The Baltimore Sun

Blanche St. Pierre, now 18, officially gradutes from Katella High School in Anaheim and will enroll in an on the job training program at Grantray-Lawrence. Blanche is the younger sister of actor Gus St. Pierre, now 20.
    - The Orange County Register

Paramount Pictures and Aardman Animations confirm they are co-producing a feature film for release in the summer of 2000.
    - Variety

TNT confirms that Sigourney Weaver and Craig T. Nelson will join Jonathan Taylor Thomas on the upcoming series Glamazon, which will debut in March of '99.
    - Entertainment Tonight

Former wrestler Jesse Ventura leads statewide polls as the favorite to win the governor's mansion come November.
    - The Minneapolis Star-Tribune

The Sports Page
    Construction begins on a new domed stadium for the soon to be Las Vegas Raiders, slated to open in the year 2000.
    - SportsCenter

Spider-Man 3 (1998 Film)
  • Leonardo-Dicaprio-Spider-Man-James-Cameron.jpg

Spider-Man 3
    Released by 20th Century-Fox on May 29, 1998

Directed by
    Fred Dekker

Screenplay by
    Fred Dekker
    Daniel Waters
    Alvin Sargent

Music by
    Danny Elfman

Main Cast

Leonardo DiCaprio as Peter Parker/Spider Man
    Reese Witherspoon as Felicia Hardy/Black Cat
    Julie Andrews as Aunt May
    Joaquin Phoenix as Eddie Brock/Venom
    Wil Wheaton as Harry Osborn/New Goblin
    JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson
    Tim Roth as Quentin Beck/Mysterio

Notes
    - Just as expected, Spider-Man 3 overtook Superman Lives at the box office.
    - Even with Spidey getting the best of Supes in ticket sales, Nicolas Cage was gracious enough to share a Rolling Stone cover with Leo for the magazine's summer blockbuster preview for 1998.
    - The theatrical release was preceded by trailers for Mulan, the Doctor Dolittle remake with Eddie Murphy and Blade.

Movie Studio URL's as of 1998
  • Movie Studio URL's as of 1998

Buena Vista

-> disney.com/wdp (Walt Disney Pictures)
    -> disney.com/tcf (20th Century-Fox)
    -> hyperion.com

Columbia-TriStar
    -> columbiapictures.com
    -> tristarpictures.com

DreamWorks SKG
    -> skg.dreamworks.com

Golden Harvest
    -> saban.com/goldenharvest

Henson
    -> henson.com
    -> touchstone.com
    -> nick.com/movies
    -> hannabarbera.com

Hollywood Pictures
    -> hollywoodpictures.bally.com

Lionsgate
    -> lionsgate.ca

New Line Cinema
    -> newline.com

Paramount
    -> paramount.com

RKO Radio Pictures
    -> rko.com

Turner
    -> turner.com/unitedartists
    -> turner.com/mgm

Universal
    -> universalstudios.com
    -> gramercy.com

Warner Bros
    -> warnerbros.com
    -> carolco.com

Last edited:
    Mulan (1998 Film)
  • mulan1998.jpg

Mulan
    Released by Walt Disney Pictures on June 19, 1998

Cast and Crew
    Same as OTL

Notes
    - The premiere was held in San Francisco at Candlestick Park.
    - Christina Aguilera's rendition of Reflection landed her an album deal with Fox Records.
    - The video for True to Your Heart played almost endlessly on VH1 for most of the summer.
    - Yes, there was Szechuan Sauce at McDonald's as part of the tie in to this film.​

Entertainment News for Late June 1998
  • Entertainment News for Late June 1998

The Reform Party and Bull Moose Party each hope to take advantage of the ongoing GOP tailspin in the midterms.
    - The Washington Post

Universal orders a massive rewrite for the proposed third Jurassic Park film.
    - Variety

NWA, WCW each interested in luring Owen Hart away from the WWA.

When will the first trailer for the long awaited Star Wars prequel come out? Amblin Entertainment urges patience as fans grow more restless.
    - Entertainment Tonight

Brynn Omdahl will be held without bail while she awaits trial for the attempted murder of her ex husband, actor Phil Hartman.
    - The Los Angeles Times

AOL expresses an interesting in acquiring Time Warner.
    - The Detroit Free Press

Independence Day (1998 Film)
  • independenceday.jpg

Independence Day
    Released by Carolco on July 1, 1998

Cast and Crew

Same as OTL

Notes
    - ITTL, Independence Day was supposed to come out in '96, but was canceled by Fox in 1995 in light of the Oklahoma City bombing.
    - Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin later sued Fox to regain the rights to the script and were able to get the film made at Carolco.​

Dr. Dolittle (1998 Film)
  • @Anthony07
    Hanna-Barbera currently has the North American rights to Ghibli's catalog.

MV5BYTg2MGYwZjYtODliYS00NzgyLWJhMjgtMGU5NDUxNmE3ZDkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTYyMTY2NzQ@._V1_.jpg

Dr. Dolittle
    Released on July 3, 1998 by 20th Century-Fox

Cast and Crew
    Same as OTL

Notes
    - Fox's 1967 Rex Harrison version has aired multiple times on the Disney anthology series, including a recent airing to promote the release of this version.
    - Aaliyah's song Are You That Somebody was the lead single for this film's soundtrack album.
    - Dr. Dolittle opened at a distant third at the box office behind Mulan (Disney) and Independence Day (Carolco).​