As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Urusei Yatsura 5: The Final Chapter (1995 English Dub)
Urusei Yatsura 5: The Final Chapter
maxresdefault.jpg

English version released by 20th Century-Fox on January 13, 1995.

English dub produced by
Grantray-Lawrence

English Voices
Lauren Tom as Lum Invader
Rob Paulsen as Ataru
Cam Clarke as Mendou
Phil Hartman as Rei
Russi Taylor as Ten
June Angela as Shinobu
Mako as Cherry
Scott Weinger as Inaba
Jason Marsden as Rupa
Susan Blakeslee as Carla
Val Bettin as Upa (Rupa's grandfather)

Notes
Urusei Yatsura 5 had been put on the backburner for a few years because of the disappointing box office returns of the fourth installment, plus the English dub of Ranma 1/2 becoming a higher priority for Fox.​

PNWKing

Banned
1. What station does Jeopardy! air on in Spokane, WA?
2. What station does Entertainment Tonight air on in Detroit, MI?
3. Who are some of the sponsors of the Cleveland Guardians?
4. Who distributes Inside Edition ITTL?
5. Who are some of the sponsors of the San Antonio Spurs?
6. Who are some of the sponsors of Major League Baseball?
7. Who are some of the sponsors of the National Hockey League?
8. What are some of the more notable "ripped from the headlines" episodes of Law & Order ITTL?
9. What movies have run on FX ITTL?
10. What station broadcasts Seattle Thunderbirds games in Spokane ITTL?

Honestly, you can go without giving the sixth UY movie an English dub. Not only is it regarded as one of the least preferred works of the anime within the fandom, but ending the franchise as far as the dub goes with a movie literally called The Final Chapter that adapted the final arc would give it a sweet bookend for the forseeable future.

Just my regards, though.

Honestly, you can go without giving the sixth UY movie an English dub. Not only is it regarded as one of the least preferred works of the anime within the fandom, but ending the franchise as far as the dub goes with a movie literally called The Final Chapter that adapted the final arc would give it a sweet bookend for the forseeable future.

Just my regards, though.

On a 1-10 scale, how bad did the sixth UY movie suck in your opinion?

1. What station does Jeopardy! air on in Spokane, WA?
2. What station does Entertainment Tonight air on in Detroit, MI?
8. What are some of the more notable "ripped from the headlines" episodes of Law & Order ITTL?
9. What movies have run on FX ITTL?
10. What station broadcasts Seattle Thunderbirds games in Spokane ITTL?
1) KAYU (SBC affiliate)
2) WXYZ (ABC affiliate)
8) A 1993 Law & Order episode featured a teen heartthrob moving in with his big sister and living in fear of his lunatic mother. Based on Bridgette Kricfalusi's 1992 arrest on the set of Clarissa Explains it All and Colette St. Pierre gaining guardianship of Gus shortly thereafter.
9) The first four Urusei Yatsura movies and the first three Planet of the Apes films.
10) KSPO (Fox affiliate) on weekends. Prime Ticket Northwest on weeknights.

PNWKing

Banned
1. What station does Jeopardy! air on in Las Vegas, NV?
2. What station does Jeopardy! air on in San Diego, CA?
3. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on Doug?
4. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on KXLY in Spokane, WA's evening news?

1. What station does Jeopardy! air on in Las Vegas, NV?
2. What station does Jeopardy! air on in San Diego, CA?
3. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on Doug?
4. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on KXLY in Spokane, WA's evening news?

1) KVVU (SBC affiliate)
2) KNSD (NBC O&O)
3) Chuck E. Cheese, Lisa Frank, Tiger Electronics, Atari, Kraft Foods, Namco, Selchow & Righter, Six Kings Over Georgia, McDonald's
4) Pfizer, Coca-Cola, Saturn of Spokane, Wendle Ford-Suzuki-DeLorean, Fred Meyer, Taco Time, Seafirst Bank, Office Depot, Microsoft, Union 76, Tully's Coffee

PNWKing

Banned
1. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on WSB in Atlanta, GA's evening news?
2. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on KTLA in Los Angeles, CA's evening news?
3. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on WUSA in Washington, DC's evening news?
4. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on Law & Order?

1. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on WSB in Atlanta, GA's evening news?
2. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on KTLA in Los Angeles, CA's evening news?
3. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on WUSA in Washington, DC's evening news?
4. What are some of the "brought to you by" sponsors on Law & Order?
1) Fulton County DeLorean Dealers, McDonald's, Delta Air Lines, Holiday Inn, Chevron
2) Motel 6, Felix Chevrolet, Jack in the Box, SoCalGas, Miller Genuine Draft, Union 76, Ralphs supermarkets
3) DC Lottery, Harris Teeter supermarkets, Walgreens, Mobil, State Farm
4) Anheuser-Busch, Coca-Cola, Allstate, Chevrolet, Dockers, Federal Express

On a 1-10 scale, how bad did the sixth UY movie suck in your opinion?
Not a fan, but the Wikipedia article says that it's generally considered a stinker.

Partway solution suggestion: make it an original video animation (OVA) Japan-only release until at some point in this TL's future someone imports it to the States under a "complete collection" banner or something of that nature.

Yep, that's how they call it in Japan.
Of note though, I think it bears mentioning that it was via the OVA market how Kitty Films, the company behind the UY adaptation, came into the fore. They started out adapting an epic space opera called Legend of The Galactic Heroes and they were working on its fourth season at this point in our timeline. (I remember hearing they couldn't get a network in Japan to air the show, so they went DTV, for which consumers eagerly went for).

Considering the UY series was such a big hit in the States in this timeline, might it be possible to import Legend of the Galactic Heroes to the West early in this timeline? (we only got it three years ago, officially) . With Star Wars under their belt, I think Fox might be interested, and there's plenty of stuff in it for the sci-fi/SW crowd to go gaga for.

Of note though, I think it bears mentioning that it was via the OVA market how Kitty Films, the company behind the UY adaptation, came into the fore. They started out adapting an epic space opera called Legend of The Galactic Heroes and they were working on its fourth season at this point in our timeline. (I remember hearing they couldn't get a network in Japan to air the show, so they went DTV, for which consumers eagerly went for).
Considering the UY series was such a big hit in the States in this timeline, might it be possible to import Legend of the Galactic Heroes to the West early in this timeline? (we only got it three years ago, officially) . With Star Wars under their belt, I think Fox might be interested, and there's plenty of stuff in it for the sci-fi/SW crowd to go gaga for.
Either that, or a company that would use it to have a slice of the space western pie. Might I recommend giving the opportunity to MWS or someone like that?

That's the guy.
Y'know what, considering they willingly banked eleven years of genetically-mutated reptiles, earned tons of moolah out of it in our timeline, AND gave the go-ahead for a gritty final season as a sendoff, I approve!

In other words, 110 episodes of War and Peace in space, brought to you by the same folks (and maybe dub cast, hopefully) who brought you Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles.

Last edited: