As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Actually the OTL Atari 5200 came out in 1982 and was discontinued in 1984. The 5200 was infamous for it's faulty controllers and is considered a failure.
The Atari 7800 is considered superior to the 5200, it was announced in 1984 and could've released in sometime in 1985 but IOTL the release was delayed to 1986 because Atari was sold off. The 7800 had built-in backwards compatibility with the 2600. (5200 was backwards compatible to but it needed an adapter.)
I recommend the 7200 releasing in Early 1985 gives them an early start over the NES.

As for the Master System, it wasn't released until 1985 and that was in Japan. US release was September 1986. I'm not sure if it can be released any earlier though.
It seems Nine to was in negotiations with Atari to release the Famicom through Atari but it fell through after Coleco illegally demonstrated Donkey Kong at the 1983 Consumer Electronics Show.
Maybe ITTL Coleco never demonstrates Donkey Kong and the deal goes through between Nintendo and Atari and we get this console
1614305691532.jpeg

with the Famicom hardware and controller
1614305765922.jpeg

Entertainment News for April 1984
At a rally in St. Louis, GOP candidate Bob Dole told supporters "We cannot allow Reagan to commute John Kricfalusi's sentence."
- CNN

Democratic candidate Walter Mondale calls out Gingrich, Rumsfeld, Bush and Thurmond for alleged Scientology ties.
- The Washington Post

Warner Communications announces they are selling their stake in Warner Amex Satellite Entertainment.
- The Detroit Free Press

Coca-Cola agrees in principal to purchase NBC.
- The New York Times

Warner Communications announces they are selling their stake in Warner Amex Satellite Entertainment.
- The Detroit Free Press

Coca-Cola agrees in principal to purchase NBC.
- The New York Times
So, if Warner sells their stake in the prototype of MTV Networks, would this mean that Sonic being a Nickelodeon IP is in the cards at all?

This reminds me. Are there any animation studios that could benefit from being owned by Coke?

PNWKing

Banned
OK, so Warner Amex is up for sale. This is good. I wonder if Corman, Metromedia, Westinghouse, General Electric, Motorola, Viacom, Disney, Amblin, Time, Turner, or ABC would be interested in buying it.

Also @OldNavy1988 were you paying attention when there was the discussion on the thread I started about Rosemary Wells possibly doing a series of childrens' books based on Theodore Roosevelt's daughter Alice's pet snake Emily Spinach. If so has she started work on the books yet, and has any animation studio expressed interest?

Is the Coca-Cola/NBC deal facing any roadblocks?

PNWKing

Banned
Robert Blake was reportedly the victim of physical and sexual abuse by both his parents. All I cold think of was Daniel Abbott, and the chance that Abbott could help Blake through his life troubles, or worse, if his ties to the western Death Valley Days could mean that he is a target of recruitment by the Church of Scientology.

Three is enough. There's only ever been 3 major consoles at a time. Anyone else who tries to get in the industry 9 times out of 10 will fall to the wayside.
Mattel could have a small and short lived console much like the 3DO and the CD-I.

*channels Mike Pollack* You know what they say: the more, the merrier.
Personally, I feel that four consoles would be the absolute maximum number of home consoles a consumer market should have.

Come to think of it we have yet to see Nelvana's next movie. I have a suggestion. How about a TTL-original movie, with a completely original storyline. How about this: Three girls named Charlotte, Molly, and Emma discover a portal to a magical world that allows them to visit this world. The world is being destroyed by a magical wizard. Molly is a descendant of another, more powerful wizard and her bloodline is needed to stop this wizard.
It is a nice rough idea, but I am a little confused by the whole portal thing. I would work on the plotline a little more to make sure it is not too similar to A Wrinkle in Time.

Robert Blake was reportedly the victim of physical and sexual abuse by both his parents. All I cold think of was Daniel Abbott, and the chance that Abbott could help Blake through his life troubles, or worse, if his ties to the western Death Valley Days could mean that he is a target of recruitment by the Church of Scientology.
I'd say that'll be tricky since Blake is about 25 years older than Daniel.

Personally, I feel that four consoles would be the absolute maximum number of home consoles a consumer market should have.
The max it should have, I agree; the max it could theoretically support, that's another question entirely...
The wall I run into, from a timeline/work of fiction point of view, is trying to come up with enough interesting exclusive franchises to sustain them and actually naming the stupid things. But in living, breathing worldspace inhabited by creative people...the sky is the theoretical limit.

There's also the PC market to consider, and that I think would be the source of most of the "5th+" consoles; PC makers wanting the games they already have the exclusive rights to in as many homes as possible. So things like the Commodore CD32 might have legit shot in the right circumstances. Different PC architectures/Operating Systems themselves also count toward the total number of platforms, especially if Microsoft never gets a stranglehold on the PC market as it did IOTL.

But I do get your point, and in principle agree (if only for simplicity of writing).

PNWKing

Banned
So let's see. The revised plotline: Three girls named Charlotte, Emma, and Molly discover a portal to a magical world. This world is being destroyed by a magical wizard named Jason. Molly is a descendant of a more powerful wizard named James Thomas. James Thomas' bloodline is needed to secure this world from Jason's plans to destroy it and end all magic in the universe. Charlotte and Emma have to learn the world's magic system from the start.

Spring 1984 Movies
Footloose
footloose.jpg

Released by Paramount Pictures

Repo Man
slmJpBDhIROf64YwNtXnuMT4ufB.jpg

Released by Universal Pictures

This is Spinal Tap
thisisspinaltap-band-stage-700x300.jpg

Released by Embassy Pictures

Police Academy
Police-Academy-1984-featured-2.jpg

Released by Warner Bros.

Moscow on the Hudson
cd13314b47d9809de47052d02712a33d.png

Released by Columbia Pictures

Who should release Romancing the Stone?​

State of the Animation Industry as of 1984
Lee Gunther leaves Grantray-Lawrence to helm Nelvana's second feature film unit while Zack Dillinger stays in Toronto to oversee the first unit. Dillinger will direct The Care Bears Movie, which is due for a Summer '85 release. Gunther's unit will deliver My Little Pony: The Movie in the summer of '86.

Low ratings for Ziggy's Gift prompted Paramount Pictures to opt out of extending its distribution deal with Richard Williams. When asked about Paramount's possible re-entry into animation, a spokesperson for the studio declined to comment.

Richard Williams returns to London to resume work on TV commercials while entertaining an offer from 20th Century-Fox for a feature length adaptation of a detective novel written by Gary K. Wolf.

Speaking of Fox, the studio feels they've built a strong core of its Movietoon revival crew. Among the names you'll see in the credits come next year are Tom Ruegger, Rachel Stone, Eric Goldberg, Bruce W. Smith, Brad Bird and Roger Allers. Spots are filling up fast, and Fox is currently in talks with Daniel Abbott, Gary Trousdale, Tad Stones, Henry Selick, Tim Burton, Bruce Timm, Mike Gabriel, Floyd Norman and Bob Camp for the last three positions.

Murakami-Wolf-Swenson is looking for a distributor for its upcoming film The Adventures of the American Rabbit, based on the pop-art posters by Stewart Moskowitz.

The Graphics Group, now a division of Amblin Entertainment, welcomes John Lasseter to their team. John had previously worked on A Wrinkle in Time at Famous Studios.

After several years of Looney Tunes package films, CMJ is ready to reunite with Dr. Seuss on a project slated for a 1988 release.

Peter Schneider takes over for Lee Gunther at Grantray-Lawrence.

Muppet Babies, expected to hit the airwaves in Fall '84, could be the start of a new era at Hanna-Barbera.

Famous Studios is gearing up for An American Tail, which is slated for a Fall '86 release.

Disney made plenty of headlines when they decided to offer a tryout to troubled journeyman animator Daniel Abbott.

Romancing the Stone (1984 Film)
Romancing the Stone
129116.jpg

Released by Grand Diamond.

After directing two clunkers in the form of Used Cars and I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Robert Zemeckis would finally score his first box office hit with Romancing the Stone. After the success of this film, Zemeckis would be hired by Universal and Amblin to helm Back to the Future, which is slated for a Summer '85 release.​

Lee Gunther leaves Grantray-Lawrence to helm Nelvana's second feature film unit while Zack Dillinger stays in Toronto to oversee the first unit. Dillinger will direct The Care Bears Movie, which is due for a Summer '85 release. Gunther's unit will deliver My Little Pony: The Movie in the summer of '86.

Low ratings for Ziggy's Gift prompted Paramount Pictures to opt out of extending its distribution deal with Richard Williams. When asked about Paramount's possible re-entry into animation, a spokesperson for the studio declined to comment.

Richard Williams returns to London to resume work on TV commercials while entertaining an offer from 20th Century-Fox for a feature length adaptation of a detective novel written by Gary K. Wolf.

Speaking of Fox, the studio feels they've built a strong core of its Movietoon revival crew. Among the names you'll see in the credits come next year are Tom Ruegger, Rachel Stone, Eric Goldberg, Bruce W. Smith, Brad Bird and Roger Allers. Spots are filling up fast, and Fox is currently in talks with Daniel Abbott, Gary Trousdale, Tad Stones, Henry Selick, Tim Burton, Bruce Timm, Mike Gabriel, Floyd Norman and Bob Camp for the last three positions.

Murakami-Wolf-Swenson is looking for a distributor for its upcoming film The Adventures of the American Rabbit, based on the pop-art posters by Stewart Moskowitz.

The Graphics Group, now a division of Amblin Entertainment, welcomes John Lasseter to their team. John had previously worked on A Wrinkle in Time at Famous Studios.

After several years of Looney Tunes package films, CMJ is ready to reunite with Dr. Seuss on a project slated for a 1988 release.

Peter Schneider takes over for Lee Gunther at Grantray-Lawrence.

Muppet Babies, expected to hit the airwaves in Fall '84, could be the start of a new era at Hanna-Barbera.

Famous Studios is gearing up for An American Tail, which is slated for a Fall '86 release.

Disney made plenty of headlines when they decided to offer a tryout to troubled journeyman animator Daniel Abbott.
Well, he's had a good stint as a GRL worker, as far as I'm concerned.

This doesn't spell good news for the mountains. In fact, to mock The Sound of Music for a hot second, you could say that the mountains are not alive.

Hold up. Who Framed Roger Rabbit from the same company that brought you the original Star Wars trilogy and some of the best anime dubs of all time? And with Richard Williams potentially backing them up? Something tells me that Paramount's legacy in animation is not long for this world.

First off, this is a talented cast! Second, I'd pick Henry Selick or Tim Burton, Tad Stones, and Bob Camp for the final three positions, as I really want Daniel to say yes to Roger Rabbit.

Might I suggest MGM as a distributor for the film?

Let's hope he's nicer towards girls this time!

I'm still curious as to what this project is. Unless it's not ready, then I can wait a bit longer.

This should be promising.

And given how they've had a fair bit of controversy over their Eastland Girls cartoon, while also grabbing a fair bit of revenue from Bert and Ernie reruns and the perennial favorite The Smurfs, I say to let it be the start of that new era.

Will Walter Lantz retire after this film?

Since Fox is a division of Disney, I'd say that having him approve of Roger Rabbit would, if I dare to repeat myself, technically count as a homecoming to Disneyland. Still, you've got to admit that there is some potential in having him work directly for Mickey and the gang.

PNWKing

Banned
Yay for John. If getting punched out by Daniel Abbot has taught him a lesson it's for the better. I'm hoping that if Brad Bird leaves the Movietoon project sometime soon, he can join John under Steven Spielberg's tutorship. Come to think of it, I wonder if Steven could help John with his issues with women.

Romancing the Stone
129116.jpg

Released by Grand Diamond.

After directing two clunkers in the form of Used Cars and I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Robert Zemeckis would finally score his first box office hit with Romancing the Stone. After the success of this film, Zemeckis would be hired by Universal and Amblin to helm Back to the Future, which is slated for a Summer '85 release.​
This movie had one sequel called the jewel of the nile. There was plans of a third movie called crimson egale but it got cancclled in 1997. Years later there was another failed attempt a new jack and joan movie called racing mosoon . Crisoms egela was set years after jewel of the nile. Joan and Jack take thier teenaged childern to thailand where they are black mailed into stealing a priceless staue. I wonder if crisomon eagle gets made in this timeline