As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Mission Accomplished
April 13, 1982
FBI's field office in LA.
Three days before Daniel's 24th birthday.

Agent Hill:
"Congratulations, Mr. Abbott. Your work here is done."

Daniel Abbott:
(Normal voice; Hampshire accent)
"Won't I still have to testify at John's trial?"

Agent Hill:
"Nope. We have everything you recorded to use in court. In fact, you gave us more than we'll end up needing. You're free to go."

April 16, 1982
Daniel's 24th Birthday.

*Doorbell rings*

*Door opens*

Daniel:
"Richard? Long time, no see!"

Richard Williams:
"Happy Birthday, Daniel. I was able to buy back the rights to The Thief and the Cobbler and sign a better distribution deal with Paramount."

Daniel:
"Wow, that's terrific."

Williams:
"And, I've rented some office space to finish the remaining scenes before the Christmas release. I have one position open if you'd like to work with me on the project."

Daniel:
"So when do I start?"

Williams:
"Tuesday morning at 9:30. I'll be on the Paramount lot on Melrose Avenue."​

April 13, 1982
FBI's field office in LA.
Three days before Daniel's 24th birthday.

Agent Hill:
"Congratulations, Mr. Abbott. Your work here is done."

Daniel Abbott:
(Normal voice; Hampshire accent)
"Won't I still have to testify at John's trial?"

Agent Hill:
"Nope. We have everything you recorded to use in court. In fact, you gave us more than we'll end up needing. You're free to go."

April 16, 1982
Daniel's 24th Birthday.

*Doorbell rings*

*Door opens*

Daniel:
"Richard? Long time, no see!"

Richard Williams:
"Happy Birthday, Daniel. I was able to buy back the rights to The Thief and the Cobbler and sign a better distribution deal with Paramount."

Daniel:
"Wow, that's terrific."

Williams:
"And, I've rented some office space to finish the remaining scenes before the Christmas release. I have one position open if you'd like to work with me on the project."

Daniel:
"So when do I start?"

Williams:
"Tuesday morning at 9:30. I'll be on the Paramount lot on Melrose Avenue."​
I salute his work, and BOY did he get a good reward for that!

Daniel Climbs the Mountain
eb0f6ba07c927071e24503eecdf90dc3.jpg

The Bronson Gate on the Paramount lot.

April 20, 1982
Paramount Lot

Daniel Abbott

"Good morning, Richard."

Richard Williams
"You're an hour early, Daniel. We have about five scenes left of The Thief to finish and only nine months to do it."

Abbott
"Five scenes in nine months? That can't be too bad, right?"

Williams
"Well, to complicate things a little bit, I was hoping Tack would remain a mute character, but the studio is really pushing hard for Tack to have a few lines."

Abbott
"Perhaps I can do the voice?"

Williams
"I would love for you to play the part, but Frank [Mancuso, Sr.] really wants Freddie Starr."

Abbott
"Alright then, lets give Freddie a call."

*Bronson Gate opens*
*Both men walk onto the lot*​

I think I found the partnership that could bring Disney to it's knees.
Hasbro, Nelvana, and TriStar.
Perhaps an MLP movie could happen with this trio in mind? I mean, Hasbro could provide the license, Nelvana could make the film, since Care Bears exists, and TriStar could distribute it. Heck, with TriStar's involvement, maybe the franchise can include pegasi as a reference to their logo? Hey, I'm just spitballing here.

Perhaps an MLP movie could happen with this trio in mind? I mean, Hasbro could provide the license, Nelvana could make the film, since Care Bears exists, and TriStar could distribute it. Heck, with TriStar's involvement, maybe the franchise can include pegasi as a reference to their logo? Hey, I'm just spitballing here.
Hopefully it'd be better than the actual 80s MLP movie. Maybe a LOTR-style epic fantasy?

Not to be a downer, but the only way that could work is if we get a thorough explanation on how the world of MLP works, and then we see it run out.

Come to think of it, that would actually be entertaining to watch!
And since (TL-wise) we're still in G1, the "girl show" stigma could be broken from the very beginning.

And with you-know-who facing prison time, Hasbro will never have to worry about Jem and the Holograms being potentially tarnished by oversexualization of Jerrica Benton.

Questions submitted by @Mitch!

For one thing, there was the recent addition of an adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time to Famous Studios’ animation library. Depending on how successful it was in the eyes of critics and audiences, will Universal also consider adapting the other books in the Time Quintet?

A:
The remaining books in the Time Quintent will likely wait till after Walter Lantz retires.

After that is the situation with another animated trilogy, specifically The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Return of the King. In the original American Magic, Richard Williams struck gold with his unique takes on J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth saga. What became of them without him?

A:
The Saul Zaentz Company still holds the film rights to the LOTR books. However, that trilogy will likely have to wait till Peter Jackson comes along around the same time as he was hired IOTL. That is, unless an earlier attempt to bring Gandalf and Co to the screen can be realized.

Then, there’s the ongoing bidding war, over who deserves the right to replace RCA as the parent company of NBC. American Magic saw Disney buy out NBC, at the end of a courtship between the two that was decades in the making. Where do Disney’s small-screen loyalties fall currently?

A:
Disney does not have strict loyalty to a specific network. Their material is pretty much spread across all the major networks, plus syndication. SBC airs the anthology series and the Fox anime dubs. M*A*S*H, which Disney acquired as part of the Fox transaction, still airs on CBS and is heading towards its original run. The Fox transaction also gave Disney access to the shows 20th Television co-produced with Irwin Allen, including Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Lost in Space. As of 1982, reruns of both series can be seen on Superstation WTBS.

There’s also the fate of Ren & Stimpy after its creator, John Kricfalusi, was arrested by the FBI in the wake of Daniel Abbott’s infiltration of Hanna-Barbera. DreamWorks SKG revived the series with Bob Camp producing in American Magic, but who works on the rest of the John K. oeuvre?

A:
It'll likely take me a miracle to find the right butterflies for Bob Camp to be credited as TTL's creator of Ren and Stimpy. Ralph Bakshi will still work on Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures, except at Famous Studios ITTL. Knowing what we know about John K nowadays IOTL, the credit sequence for the Shelley Long film Troop Beverly Hills will likely be eliminated unless Camp or someone else can do it. Another possible scenario is Camp could collaborate with Bill Kopp on Shnookums and Meat. Anything John K did after 1992 IOTL will most likely be butterflied.

Finally, on a lesser note, there’s the possibility that John Belushi will star in a live-action version of A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. With the original plans for the production including Harold Ramis and Richard Pryor, how faithful to the infamous novel is it going to be?

A:
I must admit that I am not too familiar with the original book.

Conan the Barbarian (1982 Film)
Conan the Barbarian
arnie.png

Released by Universal Pictures on May 14, 1982.

Based on the Robert E. Howard characters, Conan was the film that catapulted Arnold Schwarzenegger to super-stardom.​

Conan the Barbarian
arnie.png

Released by Universal Pictures on May 14, 1982.

Based on the Robert E. Howard characters, Conan was the film that catapulted Arnold Schwarzenegger to super-stardom.​
How well did this do was this a case of animal house or is it a case if it’s own successful movie illness