Hello; so this is pretty overtly a "help with my timeline" thread because I don't actually know a lot about art history. But, in my tl, the Latin Empire/Empire of Constantinople/Catholic ERE has managed to establish itself to the holdings in dark red over the last century, with these being the effective borders in the 1330s (naples being the kingdom of the imperial consort.) And i was hoping to explore some cultural/economic stuff in my next update. Would anyone have any ideas? my first thought is to look into byzantine art at the time (both for obvious reasons and the Rome-aboo tendencies of medieval emperors), but the ruling class is very french, with a notable Italian component. so would renaissance be a better starting point?
some other questions/comments:
  • while Islam is naturally suppressed, thus far i haven't had the leaders implement "Latinization" efforts on Anatolia and Syria for fear of revolt. Syria was even kept under Muslim governors due to it being such an overt majority at the time of the conquest
  • would this catholic power lead to an earlier "renaissance" period?
  • leadership languages are french and greek, with some dialect shift away from flemish and otl greek of the time
  • what, in general, would be good sources to look into here?

med map 4.png

Depends on if you consider renascentist art "roman"
There would certainly be a art movement influenced by Italy that would flourish with byzantine influence in the Latin Empire
Kinda the opposite of byzantine artists fleeing to Italy following the fall of the ERE IOTL

The "early rennaissance" tag is very appropriate btw
But I think in this case aside from being earlier it'd be more like a reverse rennaissance

• while Islam is naturally suppressed, thus far i haven't had the leaders implement "Latinization" efforts on Anatolia and Syria for fear of revolt. Syria was even kept under Muslim governors due to it being such an overt majority at the time of the conquest
Speaking of which, when did Eastern rite Catholicism start being a thing?

Knowing that it was older than the crusades I ddnt really look into it for yare, but Britannica says it was around the 5th century when it rebuked chalcedon and became its own thing
Eastern Catholics—in contrast to Western, or Latin, Catholics—trace their origins largely to the failure of the ecclesiastical authorities at the Council of Ferrara-Florence in 1439 to unite Christians of the East and West.

I am rather convinced we're having a conceptual discrepancy here.

... yeah. i looked up like, syrian catholic rite. same with greek but i focused on syrian for that discussion for some reason
Anyhow, since in your TL Orthodoxy is declining into a rural faith, I guess Eastern Catholicism would take on a new meaning. Maybe it would be reflected in ERE mosaic art styles like in the Hagia Sophia forming part of the East's unique identity, eventually still leading up to an inner split in Catholicism, which might prompt the Easterners to be more open to Muslim or even Coptic religious graphical and musical art.