apartheid ends in the 1980s and is that a good thing?

so I was looking for a POD that would lead to apartheid ending some time in the 1980s, best year is 1988 but really any time between 1980 and 1989 is ok. the second thing is this, is a past talk some one brought up the idea that maybe apartheid ended just when it did not because of anything happening in South Africa but because of the fall of the USSR, that before that the White government feared that the ANC's close Communist ties would lead to a people's republic or something along the lines of Mugabe's Zimbabwe, now personally I don't think Mandela would of done that, though the first world leader he had over in OTL was Castro... any ways my question is if apartheid falls before the USSR does South Africa become communist in any way?

You've posted two threads that could make it seem to some that you believe the end of Apartheid wasn't necessarily a good thing.

I think the way it ended in OTL was good, I don't think that its end would always be good, MerryPrankster in another thread brought up Larry Bond's novel "Vortex." so there are ways it can end badly, just asking if people think Apartheid needed to end in 1994 to end peacefully or if it could of ended any year peacefully?

You know, in context, you really aren't helping yourself here.

You really ought to know better than this. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in the last thread, but you just got warned not to do this. Kicked for a week.

Last edited:

Ismail

Banned
I don't see how apartheid ending in the 1980's would produce a "communist" South Africa. The SACP would be more potent and conservative whites would be more alarmed about the ANC, but by 1990 it was pretty clear that the Soviet Union was changing. The SACP wasn't the most radical party around either.

In the worst case scenario the US starts financially backing conservative opposition to the ANC like Buthelezi's Inkatha Party.

I don't see how apartheid ending in the 1980's would produce a "communist" South Africa. The SACP would be more potent and conservative whites would be more alarmed about the ANC, but by 1990 it was pretty clear that the Soviet Union wasn't going to matter as much internationally.

I'd agree, it was just an idea some one around here (forget who really) had and it seemed interesting, let me put it this way, with the USSR around would the White government let apartheid end peacefully because of the communist "threat" from the SACP? and if not is there a non-peaceful way to end apartheid? and what would that look like?

Ismail

Banned
The continued existence of the USSR was indeed a way for the apartheid government to justify its existence, along with its wars in Angola and Namibia.

I can't really comment on what a non-peaceful end to apartheid would look like besides note that it'd be bloody and would probably see plenty of Neo-Nazi terrorism if the ANC won out through its armed struggle.

Honestly, apartheid ending anytime after 1982 is not going to result in a Red South Africa. The USSR is still stuck in Afghanistan and when Gorby takes over, the Soviets will still give up on exporting the revolution. Now, what might be different is the form or character of the post-Apartheid or transition government(s) in South Africa.