Annie Oakley Kills the Kaiser

How would a US-German minor Skirmish go in the 1890's. I'm assuming Germans would curbstomp the US to start, but could get ugly fast as the US wouldn't quit on a defeat. Doubt other nations get involved, and think end result would be a stalemate peace and some neat naval history.

How would a US-German minor Skirmish go in the 1890's. I'm assuming Germans would curbstomp the US to start, but could get ugly fast as the US wouldn't quit on a defeat. Doubt other nations get involved, and think end result would be a stalemate peace and some neat naval history.

Curbstomp? With what, where?

The germans have no way to attack the us, and vice versa. There might be some skirmishing around some pacific islands, but....

Curbstomp? With what, where?

The germans have no way to attack the us, and vice versa. There might be some skirmishing around some pacific islands, but....

Weren't they building up their navy at this point?
Maybe they could make a pact with britain to split the two Samoas between them, and get the British in an alliance against the states
Germany and Britain could stop american imperialism in its tracks

Weren't they building up their navy at this point?
Maybe they could make a pact with britain to split the two Samoas between them, and get the British in an alliance against the states
Germany and Britain could stop american imperialism in its tracks

An Anglo-German alliance? You just created duumvirate that will dominate the globe for the next century.

Think about it: Is Germany really going to declare war on the United States because a circus performer screwed up her act (admittedly, with tragic consequences)? It's not like she was deliberately setting out to assassinate him or anything of the sort, and even autocratic states of the time didn't declare war on every country that gave birth to people working against it; did the Russians invade Japan after Tsuda Sanzo attempted to assassinate the Tsar? Did the United States attack Italy because Luigi Galleani, an Italian citizen, inspired multiple terrorist attacks on the US? No, in neither case did the victims resort to war. I see no reason why there would be any difference here, since it was only a tragic accident and in any case neither party can effectively fight the other.

Annie Oakley is promptly arrested, tried, and executed, for having "assassinated" the Kaiser.
The American government protests strongly against this injustice.
Arguments go back and forth across the Atlantic, with other countries taking sides in the dispute as well.
Escalation.
World War.

Arrested yes. Probably tried, yes. But executed?
Under German Civil Law you could only be executed for high treason and premeditated murder.

How do you prove either of those here?
Sure, the prosecutor and police will investigate very thoroughly. Political affiliations, unexplained money transfers, things like that.
But she is a foreign citizen, a celebrity and a woman.
Unless the investigation turns up something pretty convincing I don´t think the prosecutor would ask for the death penalty. Even with emotions running pretty high, an accidental killing / manslaughter seems more likely?

And I just have to ask some commenters here?
Why should the actions of one person (not employed by the USA, not in any way connected to the US government) result in an American-German war?
The situation is not comparable to 1914 in any way.

Curbstomp would be naval battles, not any land invasions.

I figure Germans would win at first, US would catch up fast, stalemate, status quo peace in any sort of war.

Maybe another battle hymn for the Marines about the shores of Samoa.

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, in that same year America, Germany, and Britain nearly came to blows with each other over control of Samoa until a typhoon there sank six warships (No details given, but I presume at least 1 per power, and probably nothing larger than a light cruiser).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889_Apia_cyclone#Ships

USS Trenton wrecked, 1 dead
USS Nipsic beached & repaired, 8 dead
USS Vandalia wrecked, 43 dead

HMS Calliope survived storm

SMS Olga beached & repaired
SMS Eber wrecked & sunk, 73 lost
SMS Adler wrecked & sunk, 96 dead [5]

I like the idea, too.

I can't see war being declared, either. Especially since the warmonger would now be dead.

Could get a little nasty if Annie tries to run or is protected by the rest of the show. If Annie had real bullets would not the rest of them have them as well? Real cowboys and indians V's Germans. A lot of US dead! This could be fun.

How dare you the interrupt this Germanophilic circlejerk with your logic and common sense! ;)

Last edited:
I like the idea, too.

I can't see war being declared, either. Especially since the warmonger would now be dead.

Was he a warmonger then? Afaik, prior to 1914 Germany's only wars in his reign were with China (as part of the international action against the Boxers) and against native rebels in her own colonies. Have I missed one?