Anglo-Dutch Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pop culture in the Empire

Comics

A visitor from OTL might be surprised to find that in TTL the idea of the superhero comic never really developed. Comics here developed out of the editorial cartoons of the 18th and 19th centuries and were first seen as a political medium. Middle and upper class politicians felt that comics were the best way to put across their ideas to the unwashed masses- and more importantly to cast ridicule on their opponents. As such, during election seasons large numbers of satirical artists were employed by campaigning politicians. In time, some of these cast their satirical pens further afield setting up what became known as picture-journals much like OTL's Punch or MAD, making fun of anything under the sun.

In the late 19th century the picture-journals or piccies as they were generally known had begun to include other material besides satire. Due to the huge and enduring popularity of detective stories comics of this sort soon became staples of the piccies.

Though the majority of these generally had cookie-cutter plot formulas some became known as works of distinction, notably the Casebook of Tijl MacNaughten where the epynomynous protagonist solved cases through careful observation and brainpower. Tijl MacNaughten's adventures were serialised by a variety of different writers and artists for over a century, giving rise to the most prominent use of a rolling continuity (updated to suit the times with changes to details such as MacNaughten's Tamil butler, Rajgopal, becoming more of a sidekick than a servant). So celebrated was the series that prominent guest artists and writers from other piccies were invited to write or draw a story once a year. To be invited to work on a MacNaughten guest storyline was a sign that the invited artist had really made it in the business.

While the detective story was still the most popular other genres began to surface in the piccies notably war stories with stalwart Imperial officers fighting off hordes of Russians or the tearjerkers- stories of (usually doomed) romance in piccies aimed at the female demographic.

How different would the culture of Vrijland be from that of OTL Australia?

(for example: how long would for it to take an interdimensional traveller from OTL[or a universe very similar] to notice...)

How different would the culture of Vrijland be from that of OTL Australia?

(for example: how long would for it to take an interdimensional traveller from OTL[or a universe very similar] to notice...)

Well, it's a lot more Dutch/Germanic and a lot less Anglicised. He'd notice an unusual number of signs in *Dutch and if he was non-white would certainly notice a change in attitude.

I don't know- the trouble is that at this point the ADE are basically a more powerful superpower than any polity in OTL ever dreamed of being. If I take it further I've basically got three options

i) to plot out and describe the fall of the Empire. This would make me sad since I do really like these guys.
Sucessor States! Yeehaw!:p

ii) to describe the development of the Empire into a One World Government. This wouldn't really make for that interesting a TL unless I can come up with some decent ideas.
WSell, you could combine this with the other one. Its a very Centrum-esque idea. (Though less French and more Dutch)

iii) to take it into sci-fi with space travel and the like which, though interesting, wouldn't really be within the scope of this forum.
Also an intresting option, and one you could use, much like Midgard did in the Mideval Map thread. Go ahead and start with the Earth's Intrasolar conquest, and continue into the Exosolar expansion and adventures of its crews. Maybe something out there can humble the AD.

Also an intresting option, and one you could use, much like Midgard did in the Mideval Map thread. Go ahead and start with the Earth's Intrasolar conquest, and continue into the Exosolar expansion and adventures of its crews. Maybe something out there can humble the AD.

a) You could think of something original

b) Romulans and then Klingons! (AD in Trekverse)

c) Minbari, after a century of contact with the Centauri (AD in B5-verse)

d) Daleks (though the Doctor will have had been behind the scenes...)

e) Goa'uld ('Gate-verse, though the AD did not find the 'gate)

f) Kzinti (AD in Known Space [Niven])

f) some combination of above! (mix-and-match)

Sir George

Banned
I've been reading this and have some questions:

-What was the Scottish monarchy like and why wasn't it conquered in some later way by superior Anglo-Dutch forces?
-How did Austria successfully unite all of Germany-was Prussia crushed?
-Why wasn't Vrijland terrorism suppressed by the imperial government
-When and how did Portugal gain its Korean colony
-Why do the Taipings still arise after two centuries of divergence and why is Shanghai still a treaty port though it was only in the 1800s that it gained prominence it should butterflied away

Propposed powers blocs for after 2020

:D resurrection!!!

Allied States of Europa - A more closer version of OTL EU, formed by the nations of Europe outside the Commonwealth and Russia. Among the current issues facing the ASE are the pending space program and the possible inclusion of the Kingdom of Louisiana.

South American Confederation - A confederate union formed by Peru, Chile and Argentina in repsonce to the creation of the ASE.

Necromancy! more like. Since you seem to be fairly new to the forums you should probably know that dragging up and posting to threads that have been dead for an age is kind of frowned upon, expect a Mod to swing by at some point to lock this one. If you want to continue a discussion they generally prefer you to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.