Angkor resurgent

Do your duty and leave the rest to heaven

February 12 1927, Royal Throne Room, Phnom Penh

Prince Pinnoret knelt before King Sisowath in the throne room with his father Crown Prince Monivong beside him. It was a sweltering evening and all present were wilting without the comfort of an evening breeze. The King began to speak, ‘Prince Pinnoret you returned from Europe with decorations, fame and an education – but you are lacking something.’

‘Yes my King,’ a look of consternation crossed his face.

‘A wife... nephew, a wife,’ he laughed and looked at Crown Prince Monivong, ‘We have found a perfect match for you.’

King Sisowath looked at Pinnoret his eyes seeming to stare through him, ‘Nephew as you know to become King, one only needs to be a descendent of King Ang Duong, through the line of my elder half brother Norodom or myself.’

The King continued,’ I was Norodom’s younger half brother and only became King because of providence and... that the French transferred their support from his line to ours. That means there is potential for the French to change their minds again and revert to my half brother’s descendents.'

His father completed the thought,’ Consequently if you marry a descendent of the Norodom line it strengthens your chance to inherit the throne and your children would be clear descendents of King Ang Duong from both sides. Combined with your military record even the French would find it hard to challenge your inheritance, but always remember not impossible.’

‘I am sure that you would like to find out about your fiancée,’ Prince Pinnoret nodded,’ her name is Norodom Monipinsattharet she read philosophy at the Lycee Chasseoup-Laubat in Saigon,’ he paused with a slight glimmer in his eye,’ and she is one of the chief ballerinas of the Royal Khmer Ballet. Because her father Norodom Norindeath has accepted our offer, you will begin the courtship in one week.’

Prince Pinnoret bowed his head graciously and replied,’ My King, father I will do my duty – however in this case I believe that it has the potential to... be enjoyable.’

The King smiled,’ Excellent.’

Below is a picture of Princess Nordom Monipinsattharet as a ballerina in the Royal Khmer Ballet.

bophadevi.jpg

Taking the route of minimal butterflies in europe through June 1940, the effects through 1942 should be pretty damned interesting.

A possibly different resolution to the Franco-Thai war, perhaps?

I don't see Cambodia being anything other than a speedbump for the Japanese, though.

Taking the route of minimal butterflies in europe through June 1940, the effects through 1942 should be pretty damned interesting.

A possibly different resolution to the Franco-Thai war, perhaps?

I don't see Cambodia being anything other than a speedbump for the Japanese, though.

The Japanese and the Cambodians will not go toe to toe... quite the opposite in fact.

The Japanese and the Cambodians will not go toe to toe... quite the opposite in fact.

Iiinteresting...

So Japan demands bases in Indochina while France is weak; Cambodia goes up against France; Thailand goes up against France.. huh.

Looking forward to seeing how your king rides the Japanese tiger and just how worse for wear he'll be when he jumps off.

My father, the King

October 20, Royal Palace

On August 31, King Sisowath passed away quietly in the night plunging the Kingdom into a period of mourning for forty nine days before the coronation of Crown Prince Monivong. A sense of sadness was felt by the population of Cambodia at the passing of King Sisowath, because he was the last remaining royal to have experienced an independent Cambodia. That link was now gone and only an uncertain future as a French protectorate remained.

Prince Pinnoret waited for his father outside of the Throne Hall next to the emissaries from Viet nam, Siam and Laos. Although it was eight in the morning, the heat was beginning to cause most of the official party to perspire heavily. The Vietnamese emissary politely enquired, ‘When would the King arrive?’

He quietly replied that,’ They could hardly miss seeing his father astride a golden palanquin with 53 monks blowing conch shells and chanting prayers from the Royal Palace to the Throne Hall, at the very least he would certainly hear his procession.’ The remaining emissaries stifled their laughter and tactfully avoided eye contact.

The golden palanquin emerged from the gates of the Royal residence slowly proceeding towards the Throne Hall. As the palanquin approached the Hall Prince Pinnoret descends to the base of the stairs, bowing as his father alights and follows two steps behind his father. All fifty three monks with their conch shells now muted, form a line along the outside of each wall.

Within the hall Prince Monivong prostrates himself before the statues of the previous Kings and begins to pray for their guidance as the candles flicker in the background. Once finished he stands and for the first time sits on the throne, as the monks begin to blow their conch shells. Before the assembled audience he says firmly,’ That I will follow in the footsteps of my predecessors and with the lessons taught by the all Merciful Buddha do my utmost to serve my Kingdom and subjects.’

The Supreme Patriarch a stooped elderly monk presents him with the first symbol of office a calico cat. His second son Prince Monrieth approaches the throne and removes King Monivong’s shoes replacing them with a pair of golden slippers. Crown Prince Pinnoret then stands and presents the royal sword to his father on a red cushion. King Monivong grasps the sword and Prince Pinnoret retires returning to the rest of the official party, the Supreme Patriarch then solemnly places the Khmer crown on the head of Monivong.

Cambodia had a new King.

Last edited:
A flower by any other name

October 25, Royal Palace

King Monivong enjoyed walking through his gardens at dusk in the Royal Palace it provided a sense of order and beauty that he found relaxing. In his centre of tranquillity he did not notice his son quietly walk up behind him. Taking a deep breath he turned and was startled to find his son standing behind him.

‘My son, how are you today?’

‘I am good father, may I ask a favour of you?’

‘You do know that we have a period of time during the day that we utilise for work? Hence the term a work day, but continue.’

‘Your subjects are bound together by their love to their King, their acceptance of the teachings of the Buddha and their familial ties. However the majority of the population remains illiterate, I seek your approval to change that.’

The King laughed,’ You have my interest now, don’t disappoint me.’

‘I would like to broaden the teachings of the Monks at each Wat throughout the country to include literacy, mathematics, history and limited French. I have already spoken with the Dean of the teaching college here in Phnom Penh. I envision that the course for the monks would last for two years, following that they would return to their districts to commence teaching.’

‘The program would commence in January 1929 with a trial group of monks from Kandal province. At the conclusion of the first year the syllabus would be modified as required, with the first sizable class commencing in January 1930. This also allows us to monitor the effectiveness of their teaching once the trial group has completed their studies.’

‘As this project is helping your subjects, I would like to call it the King’s project as it seeks to improve the lives of your subjects. In this way you strengthen the twin institutions of our Kingdom the love of their King and the teachings of the Buddha.’

King Monivong paused deep in thought, bending to smell one of his beloved orchids. ‘Very well my son, I will leave this project in your hands and you will have the ability to utilise the treasury to assist with the financing. However remember if this succeeds or fails I will hold you responsible as will the people.’

Prince Pinnoret humbled, bowed and said, ‘Yes I will succeed.’

A monk and a bank

October 26, Wat Outnalom / Phnom Penh Banking Corporation offices

Crown Prince Pinnoret walked behind the Supreme Patriarch of Cambodia as he performed his morning calisthenics. Unbidden the Patriarch began to speak, ‘So Prince Pinnoret how have you adapted to married life?’

‘Very well Samdech, my wife is a lovely women and I feel would makes a dutiful mother.’

‘Children are a blessing, but I feel you did not visit me to solely listen to the ramblings of an old monk.’

‘Samdech the King has given me the responsibility to organise the King’s Project, a program dedicated to improving the lives of his subjects in a practical way. Presently your monks educate the majority of the population with the scriptures and in moral conduct. I would like to broaden their educational base to include literacy, numeracy, history and geography.’

‘A most noble endeavour my young Prince, but how do you plan to accomplish this?’

‘I have spoken with the Teaching College within the city and they have tentatively agreed to admit your monks as students. The project will provide a donation to the college for their tuition and I would also request that the monks reside in one of your Wats within the city. I have not considered which Wat would be appropriate as that would clearly be a matter for you to decide.’

The Supreme Patriarch nodded and Prince Pinnoret continued. ‘However, the teaching texts at the college are in French and because the majority of your monks cannot read French those texts will need to be translated into Khmer. With that in mind may I use one of your monks Chuon Nath the author of the French - Khmer dictionary?’

He laughed, ‘Yes monk Chuon will enjoy this project, I would also recommend that you consider Bhante Dharmawana. He is a former magistrate from the colonial administration and has recently taken his religious orders. A very astute man he would be perfect to assume a supervisory role of the monks as they undergo tution. Perhaps he can become the abbot of Wat Phnom, which is close enough for the monks to study but far enough away that they will not be distracted away from their studies.’

Prince Pinnoret bowed, ‘Thank you for your help holy one.’

Following his meeting with the Supreme Patriarch of Cambodia Prince Pinnoret called a meeting with the board of the Phnom Penh Banking Corporation to be held at their office in the afternoon. When the last of the board members sat down at the mahogony table he began,’ Gentlemen I have an opportunity that has the potential for us to increase our profit.’ His colleagues on the board subconsciously leant forward now attentively listening to his proposal.

‘My first item of business is to establish a trust on behalf of the Royal Project with our bank acting as their trustee. ‘

Mr Tan, the Chairman of the board, made eye contact and asked,’ Your Highness, the establishment of a trust is not a concern, but could you elaborate for the benefit of myself and the remaining officers of the board, what the Royal Project is?’

‘Certainly, the Royal Project is a program that the King has promulgated to help his subjects. For thousands of years the monks have been responsible for educating the population. The Royal Project aims to modernise their teaching practice by sponsoring a minimum of two monks from each district to receive formal training as teachers. With this additional training their course of instruction to the villagers is broadened to include literacy, numeracy, history and geography.’

He motioned for the stenographer to leave before continuing, ‘Presently the teaching material at the Teaching college is in French and as the majority of the monks do not read French, there is a requirement to translate the text into Khmer. Following the completion of their studies, their teaching texts will need to be printed in Khmer. So as you can see the first phase will require a smaller quantity of textbooks, and the final phase requires a large volume. Now Mr Lam you currently print the Phnom Penh Post, what would you need to do in order to print textbooks?’

‘I would need new printing presses set for Khmer script, however my present liquidity does not allow for that investment. I am grateful for the opportunity to diversify my firm’s income stream, however it seems like a large capital outlay for a niche market.’

‘Mr Lam we are all colleagues here, I am certain that this board will make available a loan to you at a reasonable rate. Furthermore you need to look at this in profile not only will those textbooks be used throughout the entire country, but textbooks need to be reprinted to incorporate further information several times a decade. Outside of the improvement in your cash flow statement, the improvement in literacy grows the potential consumers for newspapers as well – an exceptionally lucrative outcome for you.’ A smile flickered across the face of Mr Lam, and he soon resumed his impassive expression.

‘Mr Chairman I know you have frequently complained that it is useless to improve your mill, because your employees will be unable to maintain the new equipment due to their abysmal education. With an improvement in literacy and their accompanying comprehension your workforce will become more effective and allow you to successfully improve your mill. ‘

‘Finally the Royal Project will impact the lives of most subjects in the Kingdom and gents apart from the King and the monks who else will they thank? Clearly the Phnom Penh Banking Corporation, when we place our name on the textbooks and provide positive reports on our involvement in Mr Lam's Post. This improves two attributes essential to our long term prosperity, brand name recognition and goodwill. Prince Pinnoret could see each member of the board contemplating, what was just said. He then asked, Are there any questions?’

The individual members of the board shook their heads, the Royal Project had commenced.

Last edited:
This is an interesting concept. I hope to follow this timeline.

How far are you planning to take it?

This TL will end around the mid 80's with an epilogue post to tie all of the loose ends together set in the late 90's. As for the French industrialists there is scope for a partnership or a Joint Venture in the future, but nothing in the immediate future.

A royal tour

November / December 1927, Cambodia

Crown Prince Pinnoret was 32, he was married, had fought as a battalion commander with the French Army, had travelled to most European countries and yet had not visited all of the provinces within his country. Following his investiture as Crown Prince, he decided to conduct a tour of the Kingdom. His entourage travelled from the paddy fields in Battambang to the Khmer Loeu in Ratankirri on the Vietnam/Laos border and down the Mekong to the coastal province of Kampot in the South.

During his travel he was feted as the first member of the Royal Family to inspect the provinces in living memory, an aide discovered that a royal tour had not been conducted since the founding fathers of the Oudong Kingdom three hundred years earlier. His humble demeanour and empathy towards the plight of the Cambodian people was an image that the villagers associated with the Prince forever.

His tour of the provinces showed him that due to the small scale of the individual plots, farmers were unable to support their family by their produce alone. To cover their shortfall in earning they borrowed money from the rural money lenders at punitive interest rates meaning that the ordinary farmer was almost permanently indebted. Although the farmer would eventually repay his debts, he would then have almost no income to provide for his family and would borrow money from the money lenders again, repeating the cycle. This persistent indebtedness of his subjects troubled the Prince, the notion that despite owning their land they remained unable to capitalise upon their sole asset. Excluding the small plot size the rice fields of Cambodia were the bread basket of Indochina, he wondered how successful could they be if those impediments were removed?

He also utilised this opportunity to improve his understandings of the ethnic minorities within Cambodia, particularly the Cham and Khmer Loeu. Although these minorities were located within their borders, frequently they had been made to feel as if they did not belong within the Kingdom, something that he resolved to address. For these minorities may feel no allegiance to the Kingdom, perhaps they would be loyal to a symbol?

The highlight of his travel was his visit to the buildings of Angkor, to visit the ancestral capital to the great Kings Suryavarman II and Jayavarman VII. Running his hand along the bas reliefs he thought how the country had changed, but the critical ingredient of the people had remained the same. The clear evidence of large scale intensive agriculture underpinning an advanced civilization reinforced his belief that the Khmer people had inherited a great legacy and one day they would have the opportunity to equal it.

For want of a grain of rice

January 18 1928, Phnom Penh

Prince Pinnoret sat inside the office of the Phnom Penh Banking Corporation perusing the consolidated balance sheet of the firm and their controlling interests in several firms. Of particular note was their share of a Rice Mill operated by one of the board members Mr Tan. It reported a decrease in annual profit due to increasing agent fees in sourcing rice to be milled. Remembering his recent observations, Prince Pinnoret decided to investigate this issue further. He wrote a brief note and provided it to one of his aides, that informed Mr Tan to meet him at the Hotel Le Royal in the evening.

Mr Tan walked into the room and was greeted by the Crown Prince standing with his back turned gazing out of the window. He turned around and began to speak, “Mr Tan – You presently own a rice mill in Battambang, but it seems that you have had increasing expenses. Would you be interested in an opportunity to both broaden your business and to increase profits?”

‘Of course your Highness.’

‘Presently you are buying rice from agents across the district who also act as money lenders to the tenant farmers. If these intermediaries were removed, you would be able to contract with the farmers directly decreasing your expenses. The problem with that is the small size of most plots makes it irrational to contract for such a small quantity of rice, if you were able to purchase all of the land you would be in a better position.’

‘Your Highness, that is my preference however most peasants are too indebted to sell, even if I paid a price above the market rate – they would still be unable to pay off their loans. Indeed, if I did not drive a hard bargain – the small family holdings would increase their selling prices making it difficult to acquire enough land to support my rice mill without resorting to contracting as well. ‘

‘Mr Tan please confirm for me, that the money lenders are our competitors when it comes to the short term borrowing market. But these money lenders are also purchasers of our own short term products.’

‘That’s correct your highness.’

‘In this case, we have another alternative, if we raised the interest rates on the short term products, the money lenders will pass on the increased payment to the farmer. This year has not been particularly good for the farmers, so the small increase in rates will result in them being unable to pay. If the farmers cannot pay, the money lenders will deplete their capital resources rather rapidly, they could resort to lending from each other but their lack of liquidity will preclude that. Which then places us in a position that with both parties insolvent, we can then offer to buy the debt owed by the farmers to the money lenders i.e. their farms and waive the money lenders debt to us. ‘

‘Now, when we purchase their farms we ensure that our stated reasoning was out of benevolence alone to stop the farmers from having their land confiscated by the rapacious money lenders. We then retain the services of the farmer as an employee with free accommodation, providing a retainer and then a bonus for producing above a certain quantity. Ideally the goal should be achievable but only in the most benevolent of conditions. We were considering opening a branch office in Battambang province so that we can provide the banking products needed within the region. So when we open the branch office as a requirement for our new employees to open an account with the bank immediately increasing our assets.’

‘As you see Mr Tan, you have an opportunity to control your rice supply within the district –you have become a price maker. Your idea has the additional benefit of destroying some of our competitors without an outlay of capital by the firm, most impressive.’

‘My idea?’

‘Yes, at our next board meeting I would like you to raise this plan. After all it seems fitting that if you benefit from this proposal it should be your name in the minutes, not mine.’

‘My idea?’

‘Yes, at our next board meeting I would like you to raise this plan. After all it seems fitting that if you benefit from this proposal it should be your name in the minutes, not mine.’
Good Lord, this economist Prince sure is making changes. Glad to see a couple of updates. Consider me subscribed!

Ideas relating to microcredit can be found at various times in modern history.

Jonathan Swift inspired the Irish Loan Funds of the 18th and 19th centuries.[2]
In the mid-19th century, Individualist anarchist Lysander Spooner wrote about the benefits of numerous small loans for entrepreneurial activities to the poor as a way to alleviate poverty.[3]
Ideas relating to microcredit were mentioned in portions of the Marshall Plan at the end of World War II.[citation needed]

The origins of microcredit in its current practical incarnation, with attention paid by economists and politicians worldwide, can be linked to several organizations founded in Bangladesh,
especially the Grameen Bank in the 1970s
While OTL micro-loans weren't in Asia till the 1970's, The concept could have started a lot earlier.

While the Cambodian Prince was studying in 1920's France, ?Did he ever meet the Vietnam Prince that was there at the same time?.

While the Cambodian Prince was studying in 1920's France, ?Did he ever meet the Vietnam Prince that was there at the same time?.[/QUOTE]

He has met the Emperor of Vietnam Bao Dai twice, the King of Luang Prabang Sisavang Vong once but found him to be an avuncular figure. However when he was in Paris he had a partner in crime, a certain Japanese Prince Higashikuni Naruhiko.

Good Lord, this economist Prince sure is making changes. Glad to see a couple of updates. Consider me subscribed!

He's also skilfully making sure a project that in some ways will be unpopular, forcing the small farmers to sell their land and become tenants, isn't started by him and hence doesn't affect the popularity of the royal family. I suspect he is planning to trick someone somewhere but not quite sure who yet.

The other question of course is that 1929 is approaching, which as we know but the prince donsn't,;) will affect everything.

Steve

He's also skilfully making sure a project that in some ways will be unpopular, forcing the small farmers to sell their land and become tenants, isn't started by him and hence doesn't affect the popularity of the royal family. I suspect he is planning to trick everybody somewhere but not quite sure who yet.

Fixed that for you. :p

The other question of course is that 1929 is approaching, which as we know but the prince doesn't,;) will affect everything.
Quite. He'll want to be well clear of the banking fan when that particular pile of manure hits.