Angkor resurgent

My thoughts were to reboot this in the UNTAC world.

Usually my stories I start with the boring bit and then get onto the exciting bits later on. However with this reimagining I am writing the border skrimish between Thailand and Cambodia first and then will draft a TL explaining how everything happened afterwards.

My brainstorming thread is here:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=280642

Alternatively when I have considered rebooting Angkor Resurgent I thought about picking up from 1945 and there are gradual butterflies. Now with these butterflies fluttering effortlessly across Vietnam, there is widespread independence in the former Indochinese colonies and Vietnam is united under Ho Chi Minh.

The second alternative would be Mr Sisowath assumes the throne in 1966 as the war in Vietnam is heating up. Cambodia has limited options, a declining economy and a miniscule military. I think the term was an ant stuck between feuding elephants, so he has nine years to strengthen the state in order to defend against the communists in 1975.

As an aside King Sisowath remains my favourite character from all of my TL's thus far. Accordingly I have always wanted to continue his journey. So preferences?

Last edited:
Prologue:

For those of you that are not familiar with American day time television, when the script writers wish to change a character or the background they generally do so via a voice over at the start of an episode.

Hence the year is now 1965 and the increasingly erratic former King Norodom Sihanouk is Prime Minister. Cambodia although having experienced a decade of growth remains an ant between two feuding elephants. The United States is being drawn inexorably into the quagmire of Vietnam, and the North Vietnamese are starting their campaign to reunite the country.

The story recommences below, as always comments / ideas / thoughts are welcome.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is strange how often the future of a country is defined by a single event, strangely for Cambodia in a single year there were two. The passing of King Norodom Suramarit marked the end of the longest period of stability Cambodia had experienced in centuries. Following his death the privy council was convened to chose a successor. The esteemed members considered several candidates, but after considering the options opted to amend the constitution to anoint his wife Queen Kossamak as his successor.

The second tragedy to befall the kingdom was the assassination of Prime Minister Norodom Sihanouk through an explosive placed in his briefcase. The Kingdom was thrown into chaos and the ruling party Sangkum into turmoil. Sangkum was not an independent political party in the western sense, but rather a personality cult centred around the former Prime Minister. It incorporated factions that stretched across the political spectrum from devout communists to feudalists and even libertarians. A movement that held such disparate groups united only through a single leader, would at their retirement or death of the leader ultimately crumble.

Prime Minister Norodom’s autocratic manner meant that following his death, the party was paralysed and ultimately the country as rival factions vied for power. At this critical time in Cambodian history, the benevolent influence of Queen Sisowath Kossamak was felt for the first time as she invited Minister In Tam to act as Prime Minister until fresh elections could be convened. It was to prove a prudent decision.

Ultimately Prime Minister Norodom is remembered as having achieved independence from France and presiding over an unprecedented period of economic development. Although by 1965 the success of his initial years in office had waned as his increasingly autocratic and irrational manner stymied good governance. Strangely his death improved the near glacial political relationship with their nearest neighbours the Republic of Vietnam and Thailand.

Above: The former Prime Minister and King Norodom Sihanouk.

Last edited:
dont pack yet

Would the young Cambodian prince go to aussie military academy while the lucky country was helping his foes in the Asian ruckus?
Sanhurst maybe?

Would the young Cambodian prince go to aussie military academy while the lucky country was helping his foes in the Asian ruckus? Sandhurst maybe?

I believe you are referring to my latest TL on Cambodia, which is found here.

Prince Norodom Ranariddh will attend the Royal Military College - Duntroon, which at the time was the equivalent of the United States Military Academy. In my TL direct entry Cambodian army officers will have a twelve month training period prior to commissioning, which is equivalent in duration to the course at the Royal Military Academy - Sandhurst. For those undertaking tertiary education will do so through the Royal University of Phnom Penh and reside at Military house for the semester and during the breaks receive military instruction.

Hope that helps.