An Unexpected Prince

Indeed he would be but would alexei refer to himself as such?
To himself - definitely not, though you can add "second of this name" Westeros-style to avoid confusion.
Also, "your Imperial Majesty" is a bit anachronystic - while Russian rulers since Feodor III were crowned according to Byzantine ceremony, Peter I was the first one who de-facto started to call himself Emperor (and this happened in early 1700ies, after POD - so just Your Majesty).

VVD0D95

Banned
To himself - definitely not, though you can add "second of this name" Westeros-style to avoid confusion.
Also, "your Imperial Majesty" is a bit anachronystic - while Russian rulers since Feodor III were crowned according to Byzantine ceremony, Peter I was the first one who de-facto started to call himself Emperor (and this happened in early 1700ies, after POD - so just Your Majesty).
Duly noted

Chapter 100: Stair

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 100: Stair

May, 1710

Major General John Dalrymple, 2nd Earl of Stair, commander of King James’ forces in the New World looked at the map that had been placed before him and his officers and took a deep breath. The situation seemed positive. They had the French on the back foot, and were even in with a chance of seizing some new land. But they were in danger of using up their funds and their resources, and with reports of how things were going back home, it didn’t seem as if they’d get the extra push they needed. Therefore, he took another breath and then spoke.

“We have them on the back foot, lads. They’ve lost every battle we’ve fought, and the Indian tribes are slowly moving towards us. However, we need more munitions and we need more money. Neither of which London will be able to provide so long as the war in Europe is going against them. Therefore, we need viable solutions.”

Lieutenant Colonel Robert Rich spoke then. “We’ve already got a steady trade link with the tribes due to taking Fort Richelieu and Fort Chambly. They know that the French lack sufficient manpower to prevent an assault on Fort Frontenac, and that the chances of us moving on Quebec grow with each passing month. They’d be foolish to go against us. So, we need not worry about them turning coat. I say we ignore the Governor’s orders about not using French munitions found in Richelieu and Chambly and go straight ahead and use them.”

“The governor is acting on the King’s request. The King didn’t want anything to be done with those munitions in case the French use them as a pretext for seizing anything during the war in Europe.” John reminded him. He disagreed with the King, but not enough to openly commit treason.

“And is the King going to know that we used them?” Rich challenged. “He’s in London, or in Brussels or wherever he is. We’re here. And we need to act.”

Major Ligonier spoke then. “Lieutenant Colonel Rich is right Sir. The Governor isn’t going to know nor is the King. We have them in our possession, it would be idiotic not to use them.”

John thought about that for a moment. He knew the diplomatic consequences could be bad if it came out, but they were munitions, and they needed them. The Forts didn’t need them and the French didn’t have the strength to retake the Forts anyway, according to their reports. If they wanted to take Frontenac and secure their western side, they would need them. Eventually, he sighed and said. “Very well, give the order for them to be taken and moved southwards. We will need to organise patrols to ensure the French do not know we’re moving them.”

“Very well, Sir. I’ll do it.” Ligonier said.

“And what of French dispositions?” John asked. “Where exactly are the main body of troops?”

“In Quebec with the Governor General, Sir.” Rich replied. “The French are convinced that we will be going for an all out assault on the capital of New France to make up for losses in Europe.”

“And how many men do they have?” John asked. If the majority of French forces were in Quebec, and they abandoned Chambly and Richelieu, the French would take them back in no time, and their northern border would be threatened again.

“Our estimates put them between 10 to 15 thousand, Sir.” Rich said.

John shook his head then. “Then we cannot allow Richelieu and Chambly to go without defence. Cancel my previous order, we’re keeping the munitions there.”

“But Sir, we if don’t bring those munitions down we’re going to struggle with the objectives we have here.” Rich protested.

“And if we do bring them down the French will retake Richelieu and Chambly and our northern front will be exposed. I cannot have that.” Jon said. “We will need to write to the governor once more to get him to send extra men and weapons.”

“Will he do that though?” Rich asked. “The governor spends more time dressing up as a woman than actual governing.”

John bit back a smirk, the governor was not well liked by the army, but he was still the governor. “He will if he knows how much it will benefit him.”

“Very well,” Rich said. “I will send the letter.”

“You write it, Ligonier will deliver it.” John said.

“Me, Sir?” Ligonier asked sounding surprised.

“Indeed, the governor likes handsome men, and you are very much a handsome man.” John said.

I wonder if those munitions will be the difference between taking Quebec or not?

Hopefully those Native tribes will be treated better than OTL.

VVD0D95

Banned
I wonder if those munitions will be the difference between taking Quebec or not?

Hopefully those Native tribes will be treated better than OTL.

Now ain't that the question. Depends entirely on whether the Governor-read the King- wants Quebec or the fortress closest to the colonies.

Chapter 101: Queen of Hearts

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 101: Queen of Hearts

August, 1710

“What did the doctors say?” Her husband, King James asked.

Marie Louise, Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland took a moment to think and then she replied. “They said that the miscarriage was likely because of stress due to Charles’ illness. But they said that enough time has passed that I should be okay to try and conceive again.”

“And what do you think?” James asked her.

Marie Louise took her husband’s hand, and was relieved when he didn’t flinch back like he had done in the past. “I think that I would like my husband back in my bed. It has been nearly a year since George was born, and Charles is much healthier, we are working well together, James, we can do this.”

“You are sure?” Her husband asked.

“I am.” Marie Louise. “Why keep making ourselves miserable?” It was true, she knew her husband had been less happy since they’d stopped sleeping together and as far as she knew, he hadn’t taken a mistress in that time either. She missed him terribly, it didn’t feel right waking up without him by her side.

James smiled. “Then we shall resume sharing a bed.” James raised their hands to his mouth and pressed a kiss to them.

Marie Louise smiled and then she asked a question she knew would change the mood of things. “How is the war going?”

Her husband sighed. “Badly. We are losing in the Spanish Netherlands; the French are most likely to advance on Brussels before the year is out. Prince William refuses to give a substantial command to Marlborough despite the fact that the victories we’ve gotten have been when they’ve worked together. The only positives have been the naval dominance we now exert over the channel, and the fact that we’re winning the war in the colonies.”

Marie Louise nodded, she knew very little about war, but she knew enough about politics and about her new home Kingdom to think that another solution could be put forward. “Why not change the focus of the war?”

“How do you mean?” James asked.

“Well, if we are winning the war in the colonies, why not push the advantage there?” Marie Louise suggested. “You, yourself have mentioned how the colonies are gaining ever more benefit as a source of trade compared to the Spanish Netherlands which is badly managed and defended. Would it not make sense to hit French pride by driving them out of their colonies?”

Her husband looked intrigued by this, his free hand was stroking his chin. “I suppose you are right. It would certainly play to our advantage. Our naval strength means we can prevent any French aid from getting to their colonists, and Stair does keep saying in his letters that he wants to take Quebec.”

“See,” Marie Louise said. “Why not commit and go all out?”

“The cabinet and Parliament. Both are convinced that the war in the Spanish Netherlands can be won, and I do not want to take a sudden divergence for fear of looking weak in front of them. However, if they can be made to see the financial benefits, they might be willing to allow more funds to be allocated to the war in the colonies.” James said.

“A way of showing that might be through using available good will to throw a ball? Surely people like Godolphin and Derwentwater would appreciate a good ball. I’m sure even the Whigs would be more than happy to attend such a ball that shows off the grandeur of the state. During that ball you could propose more investment in the colonies and suggest doing so would bring even greater riches.” Marie Louis suggested.

James smiled. “I quite like the thought of that. I shall speak with Waldegrave and Harley about beginning organising such a thing, and I shall of course give you free reign over particulars.”

“How kind.” Marie Louise replied smiling.

James then changed the topic to something else. “I saw your account books earlier and I saw that you’ve received a request to name one Abigail Masham as a lady in waiting.”

“Yes…” Marie Louise said. “The suggestion came from Lady Churchill, she recommended her.”

“You mean John’s wife?” James asked.

“Yes,” Marie Louise replied. She knew her husband didn’t like the Countess of Marlborough, especially after the woman had made the Dowager Duchess of Cumberland leave her husband’s side during his illness. “I was considering granting the application. The girl is quite smart and has helped Lady Churchill improve her finances considerably.”

“That is a benefit, but she is also a cousin to the Countess.” James pointed out.

“True, but that just means we have leverage over her.” Marie Louise said.

“Very true.” Her husband acknowledged. “Well if you’re in favour of it, I see no reason not to.”

“Thank you.” Marie Louise replied with a smile.

So, the Swedes could eventually be beaten?” Alexei asked.
If they get beaten or the war comes to a standstill russia could demand or buy ingria in return for not entering the war(from what I remember at the time the area was a swamp and was worth nothing to the swedes but to the russians it is worth a lot as an entrance to the baltic
However, if they can be made to see the financial benefits, they might be willing to allow more funds to be allocated to the war in the colonies.” James said.
I imagine the grand banks are worth quite a lot ,furthermore Newfoundland is quite vulnerable with the french controlling Quebec,but to politicians in london they wont be as important as the Netherlands
Dowager Duchess of Cumberland l
George died and you didnt dedicate an entire chapter to him your lazyness in this tl is apparent
/s
I quite like how Marie louise and James are taking decisions together and that James trusts her enough to partake in governing the realm

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
If they get beaten or the war comes to a standstill russia could demand or buy ingria in return for not entering the war(from what I remember at the time the area was a swamp and was worth nothing to the swedes but to the russians it is worth a lot as an entrance to the baltic

I imagine the grand banks are worth quite a lot ,furthermore Newfoundland is quite vulnerable with the french controlling Quebec,but to politiciansin london they wont be important as the Netherlands

George died and you didnt dedicate an entire chapter to him your lazyness in this tl is apparent
/s
Indeed

indeed

and lol

That's how to win a war with France- kick them in the colonies!
Actually they had quite an extensive colonial empire but given their position in mainland europe as a mainland power (and as result focusing extensively on land )and the British focusing on naval dominance (given their position)it is quite easy to see why the british won

VVD0D95

Banned
That's how to win a war with France- kick them in the colonies!
Actually they had quite an extensive colonial empire but given their position in mainland europe as a mainland power (and as result focusing extensively on land )and the British focusing on naval dominance (given their position)it is quite easy to see why the british won
Both are true, France is going to be looking for an out soon

Chapter 102: Godolphin's Farewell

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 102: Godolphin’s Farewell

November, 1710

Sidney cleared his throat and took a sip of wine. He knew that this conversation would be painful, but it needed to be had. His doctors had made it clear that he would not survive into the next year if he continued as he was. Therefore, he took another sip of wine and put the cup down, then looked up to find the King looking at him intently. The King was a young man at twenty-two and filled with energy, he had secured the succession and had brought innovative reforms to the Kingdoms, and Sidney was proud of him, but he also knew that he needed new blood.

“Thank you for agreeing to meet with me, Your Majesty.” Sidney said. “I know you are busy.”

The King waved a hand dismissively. “Not at all, we will always make time for you, Sidney. So, tell us how can we assist you?”

This was just one way in which the King was different to his father and uncle, he never demanded service, but always wanted to offer it. “This is more about how I might assist you, Sire.” Sidney replied.

The King raised an eyebrow. “Go on.”

Sidney took another sip of wine and said. “As Your Majesty knows, I suffered from some ill health earlier this year, as such I have spoken with my doctors and they have told me that it would be best for my health if I retired from government business and from court. They have said that the stress of everything has caused my body to slowly disintegrate, though quicker than it normally would have. Therefore, in the interests of myself and of the state I am offering Your Majesty my resignation from the roles of Lord High Treasurer and Secretary of State.”

The King’s expression was unreadable, somewhere between shock, disappointment and acceptance. Sidney waited for a long time before he eventually got a response. “Whilst we are disappointed and sad to see you go, we understand your decision and we accept it.” The King said. “We will need you to formally hand over the staff of office before the next council meeting.”

“Of course, Sire.” Sidney said. “And thank you for being so understanding.”

The King nodded. “Though, perhaps before you go you can give us some advice.”

“Of course, Sire.” Sidney replied.

“Who would you recommend we name as your replacements?” The King asked.

Sidney didn’t have to think long on this, seeing as he’d thought about it much before. “For the position of Lord High Treasurer, I would recommend Robert Harley, Sire. He has done a good job as Speaker of the Commons and commands suitable influence there in order to keep it loyal, furthermore, he has a fine knowledge of numbers as shown by his growth in wealth investing in the Bank of England and the East India Company.”

“Very well, and for Secretary of State?” The King asked.

“I would recommend the Earl of Derwentwater, Sire. He is young, but he has demonstrated far more nous and understanding of the complex affairs of the realm than men twice his age.” Sidney said.

The King nodded. “Two choices we quite agree with, thank you.” Sidney bowed his head in recognition of the praise and then, the King added. “There was one more thing we wished to seek your advice one.”

“Sire?” Sidney replied.

“The war with France. Do you think it wise to continue pursuing a policy that has seen us only win three of the battles that have been fought in that war?” The King asked.

Sidney hesitated, a part of him understand the King’s concerns, they might control the waves, but their army was being humiliated on land by the old enemy, and the longer the war continued, the harder it would become to truly maintain an image of strength on the continent. On the other hand, they could not concede an inch to the French if they wanted the King’s image to remain strong at home. Though perhaps there was a way out. “Sire, I think that the war in the Spanish Netherlands will continue as long as the French King perceives a threat. It would be more ideal if we were to begin negotiations between all sides, and then try and reach a compromise. Additionally, I would focus more on the colonies, because they are a potential source of embarrassment for the French, and success there could force them to the table here.”

The King considered this. “Do you think that truly could work?”

“I think with the right prodding, anything can happen, Sire. Man, is the most malleable of all God’s creatures.” Sidney replied.

The King grinned. “This is very true, thank you, Sidney, you have been good friend and mentor.” With that the King rose, and Sidney with him, they shook hands and then the King departed, leaving Sidney feeling both relieved and sad.

Hopefully Sidney will still be around to give his King advise when he needs it.

Spotlight on the colonies is a good idea though.