An Unexpected Prince

Her husband and son have given us great service but that should not stop justice from being served. Therefore, we have decided that she shall be executed and her husband and children stripped of their posts at court and sent back to their estates.
Wonder what is going through james head,while sarah did attempt treason,he is friends with her son and her husband is the premier general of the kingdom/empire(whether you think henry viii decree was valid or not)I would imagine that lifelong house arrest would be a better option,but yet I do not know the mind of james and why he has made this decision,but it will surely cause unrest and even in house arrest she migth plot again,so there is that consideration as well

VVD0D95

Banned
Wonder what is going through james head,while sarah did attempt treason,he is friends with her son and her husband is the premier general of the kingdom/empire(whether you think henry viii decree was valid or not)I would imagine that lifelong house arrest would be a better option,but yet I do not know the mind of james and why he has made this decision,but it will surely cause unrest and even in house arrest she migth plot again,so there is that consideration as well
Rewarding High treason With house arrest isn’t a good look I think

I have a suspicion the Execution order is not going to take place and the General and King's freind will not be leaving their posts since Lady Marlbrough commited suicide instead o facing her crimes.

VVD0D95

Banned
I have a suspicion the Execution order is not going to take place and the General and King's freind will not be leaving their posts since Lady Marlbrough commited suicide instead o facing her crimes.
Interesting why do you think so?

Interesting why do you think so?

Just that bit at the end; if she ‘commits suicide’ then they don’t have to be stripped of their ranks and can be allowed back to Court after mourning with no lose of face for them since they didn’t know what was going on.

VVD0D95

Banned
Just that bit at the end; if she ‘commits suicide’ then they don’t have to be stripped of their ranks and can be allowed back to Court after mourning with no lose of face for them since they didn’t know what was going on.
Indeed this is true

Assisted suicide would certainly solve a lot of problems. But I would assume the Marlborough family can't escape unscathed. The fiasco would be reasonably well known.

Chapter 123: The New Spider King

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 123: The New Spider King

November, 1715

“We have looked through the list of complaints that have come from the regions and we find them most disagreeable.” Louis said. “They talk about the unnecessary levying of taxes, and we see a means to improving the fortunes of this Kingdom. They talk about unnecessary expenditure on roads and sewage systems, and we see a way to improve the Kingdom beyond the battlefield. It is not to our surprise that the chief complainant is Paris. The people there have never understood what changes were and why they were to the benefit.”

He fixed his gaze on his finance minister and said. “You have found a way around those complaints.”

“I have, Sire.” Nicolas Desmarets said.

“And?” Louis demanded.

“The choice is simple, Sire.” Desmarets replied. “We turn the regionals against one another. We propose bringing new roads into Brittany, and tell them that Paris wants to deny them this. We talk about bringing new drainage into Normandy and tell them Anjou wished to deny them that. We ensure that they come to an agreement with the Crown to improve their regions and then we slip the increased taxation on them through that. They will not dare protest against that if they think it will give them what they want.”

Louis considered this and said. “Very well, we agree with your position, and wish to see it proceed.”

“Sire.” Desmarets replied.

“Sire, I must protest.” His cousin Orleans said. “Doing this would violate the rights of the Provincial governments alongside the rights of the nobles to use their rights to levy taxes. This proposal would undermine the integrity of the Kingdom.”

Louis looked at his cousin and said. “We disagree. The provinces by refusing to agree to increasing of taxation are already threatening the Kingdom. We may have won the war in the Spanish Netherlands, but we did so without much of the financial power that the Kingdom of Albion brought to the table. We must lower debt, and we must ensure that the Kingdom does not fall behind. The proposal Desmarets has put forward is the only one we have heard in the past month that would resolve the issue we are facing.” His cousin looked as if he might protest, so Louis said. “Unless you have an alternative suggestion, cousin?”

His cousin said nothing then, and so Louis turned the conversation onto something else that had drawn his interest. “Dubois, what word do you have from our friend in London?”

Guillame Dubois his Minister for Foreign Affairs and a man with Cardinal ambitions, spoke then. “Sire, as this council knows Sarah Churchill, Countess of Marlborough had been charged with High Treason for trying to incite rebellion against King James. However, before her execution, she managed to escape. After fleeing her place in the Tower, it appears she met with her husband the Earl of Marlborough before disappearing. As of now, nobody in Albion seems to know where she has gone or who aided her escape. The King has declared that should she or her husband ever return they will be executed on sight. Their children have been dismissed from court.”

Louis smiled then. “So, Albion is in chaos?”

“Unfortunately not, Sire.” Dubois replied. “Using the papers and other mediums, the King has managed to turn public opinion and the opinion of the army against Marlborough and his wife. Indeed, pamphlets have been distributed across the Kingdom destroying Lady Marlborough and saying that Lord Marlborough has been ruled by his wife this entire time.”

“I see.” Louis said somewhat disappointedly, he had hoped for something more. “And what else has happened?”

“The King of Albion had the Earl of Mar, Lord Munro and Lord Grant tried for treason and executed their lands confiscated and titles declared forfeit. Whilst Lord Lovat a man who it seems aided the King in crushing this revolt, has been raised to an Earl. The King of Albion has also named his cousin the Duke of Berwick and Newcastle as the new Captain General of the Army.” Dubois said.

Louis sighed. “So, it seems our plans for the Spanish Netherlands must be delayed further.”

“It would seem so, Sire.” Dubois answered. “Though not for long. Sooner or later, Albion will need a release from the pressure it has faced.”

“Very well.” Louis said. “Ensure more of those letters we sent to the Countess find their way into the King of Albion’s hands.”

“Sire.” Dubois said.

She escaped? Well ok that wasn’t what I expected.

Did the General go with her? His fate was missing from the report.

Damm French!

Chapter 124: The End Of The Emperor

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 124: The End of the Emperor

February, 1716

The pain was overwhelming. Joseph knew that he didn’t have long left but he also knew he had to say these things to his son, Leopold, otherwise he would never be able to forgive himself. His son was at his bedside, holding his hand and looking absolutely terrified. Joseph would’ve laughed if the disease hadn’t taken away his ability to do so without pain. His son was a complete contrast to him. Whereas, at his age Joseph had fucked anything that had moved and was female, Leopold had only ever slept with two women, the woman Joseph had sent his way to prepare him for marriage, and his wife, the King of France’s daughter. He supposed that was for the good. The Empire could not survive two frivolous Emperors.

Joseph took a shuddering breath then spoke. “Leopold.”

His son looked at him then with such intensity, Joseph was afraid he might be swallowed whole. “Father?”

“I have something important to tell you, so you must listen carefully.” Joseph whispered, aware of the many people in the room, waiting for him to die.

“Of course, Father.” Leopold replied just as softly.

Joseph closed his eyes and fought the pain that wracked his body, he had a limited time to say this so he would just say it and not care about how he had phrased it. “Listen to your advisors, but do not let them make the decisions for you. You are to be Emperor, you are the ultimate authority in this land, ensure they remember that. If you feel the need to dismiss members of the council do so, but always ensure that the people you bring in are people who are capable for the role.”

“Of course.” Leopold answered.

“Ensure that you listen to them but do not be swayed by factionalism. It is my one great regret that during my reign I could not stop the factionalism from enveloping the court as it did my father’s.” Leopold said. Indeed, if he could go back and do it over, he’d stop listening so much to Auersperg and others.

“Yes, Father.” Leopold replied.

“And make sure to keep your sisters and mother safe. If you feel the need to revoke the betrothal with Bavaria do so.” Joseph said. He didn’t trust the Bavarians, at least not as far as he could throw them. The Elector was a snake.

“Yes, Father. What about the Poles?” Leopold asked, referring to the fact that Joseph had betrothed his youngest daughter to the King of Poland’s son.

“I would wait to see what happens there. Sobieski has done a good deal to centralise the authority of the Crown.” Joseph said.

“I will.” Leopold said.

“And ensure you keep good relations with both Milan and Spain. They will rely on you to keep French ambitions in check.” Joseph said.

“Of course.” His son replied.

Joseph was finding it hard to breathe, he needed relief, he needed a chance to stay afloat, but he also knew his time was at an end therefore he gripped his son’s hand hard and said. “And always stay faithful to your wife.” His son nodded and Joseph let go. “Now, go, I am ready to meet my maker.” His son let go, and the Priest came forward. Joseph said what he needed to say, confessed his sins and then when it was done, he closed his eyes and took the hand of the angel who had come to bring him to salvation.