An Unexpected Prince

VVD0D95

Banned
more for discussion, rather than argument, but I would think Louis Auguste, Duke of Maine, would be a more likely choice than a teenager, if XIV was looking to bypass le Grande as voice. DoM was quite favored by XIV.

This is true, will keep this in mind for the future chapters :)

more for discussion, rather than argument, but I would think Louis Auguste, Duke of Maine, would be a more likely choice than a teenager, if XIV was looking to bypass le Grande as voice. DoM was quite favored by XIV.

Wouldn't making a bastard the King's voice on the council potentially ruffle some feathers, though?

Wouldn't making a bastard the King's voice on the council potentially ruffle some feathers, though?
Yes, and likely using Maine will anger the Dauphin more than using his own son and heir...
The reaction to first will be: my father always favored his bastards and only them, never me, his only legitimate son or other relatives, the reaction to the latter can be: my father is trying to put my son against me or my father is a ... but at least he is trying to be a grandfather better than the father he was for me or if he really want exclude me at least he is using my son, the next in line of succession and a future king and not one of his insufferable over-favorites bastards...

Yes I think it would be wiser not to put his bastard sons forward when he's got two legitimate heirs old enough to rule. OTL he did it because Louis XV was only five years old and he didn't get on well with his nephew Chartres-Orléans. Here he has no reason to favour an illegitimate son over the Dauphin or Burgundy.

Last edited:
XIV legitimized Duke of Maine, amongst others, and pushed hard to get others to recognize them as equals. I can easily see XIV turning to DoM over le Petit at such a tender age. I don't think he would bypass le Grande, though.

True enough, but in this case maybe he should name both le Petit Dauphin and Maine. The other problem with putting Maine forward (I think) is that le Petit Dauphin had the reputation of being an arrogant boy when he was young.
He changed a lot thanks to his tutor Fénelon, probably around the time the chapter is set but I don't know when exactly.
Maybe he wouldn't react well at seeing an illegitimate half-uncle bypassing him on the royal council (more work for Fénelon!)

Chapter 62: A Right Indian Mess

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 62: A Right Indian Mess

August, 1699

John Gayer, Governor of Bombay for the East India Company put down the letter that had come from London, carrying news that another member of the so called Whig party had been arrested and tried with treason. Who the man was John did not know, but he found it hilarious how the Whigs were committing so much treason. Then he remembered just what he was doing and he felt the smile disappear from his face. He looked at the other men gathered in this room and said.

“We have been sat here for a long time now debating over the right course, and we of course reached a decision a few months ago, therefore, I want to know how our decision has gone.”

Nicholas Waite, his deputy spoke then. “Well, since Emperor Aurangzeb slipped down those stairs and ended his life and the new Emperor Bahadur Shah took Delhi we’ve of course been supplying arms and knowledge to him and his court. So far it seems as though that has been the right decision. The man controls most of the old empire from Delhi northwards towards Punjab, including the fealty of the Sikhs. He’s struggling to convince the Marathas to come onside though. It seems that their ruler Rajaram wants his nephew dealt with before he does any dealing with Bahadur.”

John nodded, that seemed about right. He truly did not understand why these Indians had to have such a difficult succession, why could the succession not just go to the firstborn son as it did in England? Why have all these long and costly wars? “What of the other Princes?”

“Well, Azam Shah remains unaware of the fact that we are mainly supporting his brother. The news we’ve given him has been enough to convince him of our intentions. He’s thus promised to remove the limitations that his father placed on us. Something that his brother has not yet done.” Waite said.

“We might need to be careful on that front.” Stephen Strutt said. Strutt had the confidence of London, John knew, that was the only reason he had not been dispatched to Surat, because someone he knew had the Regent’s ear.

“How so?” John asked.

“Azam Shah is not a fool, he knows that we are not always going to put our trust completely in him, he will be waiting for that moment to turn on us before we turn on him. Therefore, we must decide whether or not we full our full support behind him or his brother. One or the other we must act.” Strutt said.

“Such a decision would go against company policy.” John said. “You know that, Stephen. It is not our policy to openly declare for one ruler or another. We are to do what is in the interests of the company.”

“I am aware, Sir,” Stephen responded. “however, I am also aware that we are not as popular as we were before that pirating business happened. And therefore, we must do what we can to remain within the Emperor’s-whoever that might be- good graces. And this strategy won’t do it.”

For some reason, he could not explain, John felt the need to defend the policy as it stood. “It is a policy that has worked for us since we have been here. The Indians are a fickle people yes, but so are we. If Azam Shah cannot understand that, then his brother will. Either way we must make sure that the good will of the company continues to be the priority.”

“So, you wish to continue to run the risk of something terrible happening?” Stephen asked.

“Mr Strutt, I remind you that I am the governor here, and at this time, the policy is as it is. If you do not like it, I can arrange for you to be on the first ship out of here, tomorrow morning.” John said as firmly as he could without shouting.

He looked at Strutt and saw that the man was completely surprised by what he had said. “I do not wish to leave, Sir. I apologise if I was out of line.”

John ignored him, and turned to Nicholas. “Inform our man in Delhi to inform the Emperor that we shall have a way into the Maratha camp before the year is out.” John had a plan for that, and he was beginning to think he should have implemented this much sooner.

“Yes, Sir.” Nicholas replied.

Chapter 63: Marriage Arrangements

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 63: Marriage Arrangements

November, 1699

Sidney took a sip of his cup of wine then looked at the man sat opposite him. John Churchill, newly created Earl of Marlborough for services rendered to the Crown, held an air about him. Sidney had long known that the man opposite was ambitious, had known it from the moment he’d met the man at court some twenty-seven years ago. And now the man was rising through the ranks of the nobility. Having been given some of the estates that had once formerly belonged to the now executed Earl of Shrewsbury, Marlborough had enough money to keep his family as an Earl should. That was why Sidney was here, he wanted to be closer to the Princess, and he knew the Marlborough family was the key to that.

“How are you finding the wine?” Marlborough asked him.

Sidney put the cup down and replied. “It is nice, it’s a recent vintage is it not?”

“Yes.” Marlborough smiled. “The Prince of Condé wrote a letter recommending it to me.”

Sidney nodded. “You have good taste.” He took another sip and then said. “John, we’ve known one another for a long time now, we both serve the King with great pleasure, and we work well together. I think it would be most prudent for us to ally our two houses together.”

Churchill was not as good as hiding his emotions as his wife was, there was a brief flicker of something in the man’s eyes before they disappeared. “I quite agree.” The man replied. “What did you have in mind? Or rather, who?”

Sidney smiled. “My son Francis is of an age to marry, the boy, well man, has given his first speech in Parliament as an MP and has a promising career in front of him. And I believe your daughter Henrietta is coming of age as well?” He phrased it as a question, but he had dangled the bait out there, now he just needed to wait and see if Marlborough would take it.

“Henrietta is of an age, yes.” Marlborough replied. “I think I understand you, Sidney. Yes, I would be very pleased to have our two families joined in marriage. My Henrietta to your Francis.”

Sidney smiled. That had been much easier than he had expected, he was about to talk about the dowry when Marlborough said. “How does a dowry of 100,000 sound?”

Sidney was surprised, he did not think the Marlboroughs had that kind of money. Still he would not say no. “I think that is most reasonable.” They shook hands then and Sidney said. “I will have my lawyer draw up the contract and we can take it from there.”

“Agreed.” Marlborough said.

There was a moment of silence which allowed them both to drink their wine, then Sidney spoke once more. “There was another matter that I wished to speak with you about, John.”

“What was that?” Marlborough asked, though Sidney got the feeling the man knew exactly what he was about to talk about.

“Her Royal Highness has recently taken Lord Pelham’s sons Thomas and Henry into her custody and has agreed to raise them at court, thanks to the information that Pelham’s brother provided to Her Royal Highness, some months ago. This has naturally meant Pelham is now a Tory and not a Whig, but, there was something I wished to ask of you.” Sidney said. He paused then waiting to see how Marlborough would respond.

“Well, go on…” Marlborough said, in what Sidney knew was an officer’s voice.

“Is that truly the reason the Princess has taken the boys in or is there some other motive she has?” Sidney asked. “I only ask because I know how close you are to Her Royal Highness, and thought that perhaps she might have told you something she has not seen fit to share with me.” He was playing on Marlborough’s ego, by making him think that he knew something that Sidney did not, something which might have been true, but likely was not.

Marlborough’s entire position changed, he became more relaxed, almost arrogant even. His voice was lazy as he responded. “Her Royal Highness is hoping to raise the boys as the next generation of loyalist MPs in the Commons to her and the King. She thinks that the influence the Pelhams have in Sussex will come in useful soon enough. Especially with the way things are going with the religious matters.”

“You mean the issue of the High Church Party?” Sidney asked, referring to the rise of High Church clergy throughout the Kingdom, thanks to the patronage of the Princess.

“Yes.” Marlborough said. Pelham is an influential Whig in the Commons, now that he is a Tory he’s brought several other MPs with him. Which means that they will now influence their voters to support the High Church sermons that the Princess wishes to introduce. Consequently, when the next election comes the Tories will take a majority greater than what we have now.”

Sidney nodded, he had suspected as much, but wanted it from Marlborough himself. “I see, Her Royal Highness is smart.” He knew that would get back to the Princess, which was why he’d phrased it in that manner particularly.

Marlborough smiled in return. “Indeed, she is.” They raised their glasses to the Princess and drank a toast in her name. After that, they sat and chatted for some time, before Sidney eventually departed and made his way back to Whitehall and to his chambers and some much needed rest.

“Well, since Emperor Aurangzeb slipped down those stairs and ended his life and the new Emperor Bahadur Shah took Delhi we’ve of course been supplying arms and knowledge to him and his court. So far it seems as though that has been the right decision. The man controls most of the old empire from Delhi northwards towards Punjab, including the fealty of the Sikhs. He’s struggling to convince the Marathas to come onside though. It seems that their ruler Rajaram wants his nephew dealt with before he does any dealing with Bahadur.”

John nodded, that seemed about right. He truly did not understand why these Indians had to have such a difficult succession, why could the succession not just go to the firstborn son as it did in England? Why have all these long and costly wars? “What of the other Princes?”

“Well, Azam Shah remains unaware of the fact that we are mainly supporting his brother. The news we’ve given him has been enough to convince him of our intentions. He’s thus promised to remove the limitations that his father placed on us. Something that his brother has not yet done.” Waite said.

“We might need to be careful on that front.” Stephen Strutt said. Strutt had the confidence of London, John knew, that was the only reason he had not been dispatched to Surat, because someone he knew had the Regent’s ear.
I think in 1700, British were seen as a nothing but ant by the standard of Mughal, no prince will try for help from any European company, But it a different matter they take help from Maratha by giving charge of Sahu, who is a child and can easily become pupate of Tarabai and killing of Sahu due to Rajaram will break Maratha empire .
I think people have to forget in 1693 some British Pirate happen to loot Aurangzeb ship then, Aurangzeb seizes all factory of British east India for 9 months.
Bahadur shah who become Mughal emperor, for succession war, collect 1.5 lakhs infantry, 20 thousand cavalries,4000-5000 canon only using the Lahore Subha(modern Pakistan Punjab) tax . in 1707

VVD0D95

Banned
I think in 1700, British were seen as a nothing but ant by the standard of Mughal, no prince will try for help from any European company, But it a different matter they take help from Maratha by giving charge of Sahu, who is a child and can easily become pupate of Tarabai and killing of Sahu due to Rajaram will break Maratha empire .
I think people have to forget in 1693 some British Pirate happen to loot Aurangzeb ship then, Aurangzeb seizes all factory of British east India for 9 months.
Bahadur shah who become Mughal emperor, for succession war, collect 1.5 lakhs infantry, 20 thousand cavalries,4000-5000 canon only using the Lahore Subha(modern Pakistan Punjab) tax . in 1707

hoinf to disagree with you there the British were still a company who had some sway over parts of the west through generals providing advice etc.

hoinf to disagree with you there the British were still a company who had some sway over parts of the west through generals providing advice etc.
Its France which has a solid connection with Mughal not British they were a new company in the Indian ocean, also European participate as artilleryman nothing else they never have the position to influence politics of mughal court before 1750

VVD0D95

Banned
Its France which has a solid connection with Mughal not British they were a new company in the Indian ocean, also European participate as artilleryman nothing else they never have the position to influence politics of mughal court before 1750

France had connections, as did the Portuguese and the English were gaining connections as well.

Chapter 64: Burgundy

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 64: Burgundy

March, 1700

Louis, Duke of Burgundy and second in line to the throne of France bowed low before the King. As he rose, he noticed just how fragile the King appeared. Make up could not hide the blemishes and the marks from where doctors had operated on him. Louis knew the King was ill, but actually seeing him here like this showed him just how ill he was. He cleared his throat and spoke.

“I have come as Your Most Christian Majesty requested.”

The King whispered something to his ‘wife’, Madame de Maintenon who then said. “The King thanks you for coming, Your Royal Highness. He wishes for you to inform him of what was said at the most recent council meeting.”

Louis nodded. “We received word from our allies in Aragon. They have managed to repel a Spanish force commanded by the Duke of Albuquerque and are now looking to take Barcelona, though they have requested that aid be sent to them, as King James is marching on their position.”

Louis had seen the look of pure hatred on the face of the Duke of Chartres when that news had been said, and he had not been able to place it. The King whispered something to Maintenon who then looked at him and asked. “What sort of aid have they requested?”

“The presence of a French commander and arms. In return for this they say that they will declare for Philippe, as King of Aragon.” Louis said.

He saw something pass across his grandfather’s face then, was it joy, or surprise? He could not tell, but just as quickly as the look had crossed the man’s face, it had disappeared. The King then spent a while whispering to Maintenon which gave Louis time to look around the room. The King’s solar was decorated with paintings that would in some circles be considered blasphemous, but in France were considered appropriate. Louis wondered how the court would react if he should do as his grandfather did as well. His thoughts were interrupted by the King coughing. Louis looked forward, Maintenon replied. “The King commands you to inform the council to give the desired aid that the rebels have requested. This includes a small force of 1,000 men commanded by the King’s son the Count of Toulouse.”

Louis nodded. “Yes Your Most Christian Majesty.”

“What else was discussed?” Maintenon asked.

Louis looked at the woman who by virtue of her ‘marriage’ to the King was his step-grandmother, and said. “The fact that the Dutch have been stationing more men in towns which were not part of the agreement with them, and the fact that the English have given their backing to the pirates patrolling the seas to harass our ships. Also in violation of our agreement with them. Some members of the council argue that these amount to a declaration of war and that we should respond accordingly.”

“Who?” Came the response.

“Maine, Chartres and myself, Sire.” Louis said.

“Why?”

“The Dutch and the English are not respecting the peace agreement that was reached at the end of the last war. The Emperor has stationed men near the border with Lorraine and has ordered those troops to do maneuverers. A clear sign that he is planning something. We must respond first before they do.” Burgundy said passionately.

A conversation was held between Maintenon and the King, words were exchanged that Louis could not hear, and that frustrated him, but then Maintenon turned to him and said. “His Most Christian Majesty commands you to find out more information about Dutch and English intentions before moving forward with any course of action.”

“And if they move first?” Louis asked.

Another whispered conversation, followed by. “Then we respond accordingly.”

Louis bit back a sharp retort he had on the tip of his tongue. He knew members of the court whispered about the fact that he not his father had been named the King’s representative on the council during the King’s illness. He didn’t need to give the King reason to doubt him now. Instead, he swallowed down the retort and asked another question. “I wished to ask about my betrothal, Sire. Is it to go ahead?” Since he was a little boy he had been betrothed to a Princess of Savoy, and yet he did not know whether the marriage would happen or not and that frustrated him.

Another whispered conversation was had, followed with. “Do you wish it to go ahead?”

“I think it would be beneficial, Savoy is our southern neighbour. It would not make sense to snub them.” Louis said. It was true, he felt they needed Savoy to protect their south-eastern border during the next war, well that and he didn’t want to marry a Habsburg.

“Then you shall convince the council of its merits.” Came the reply.

Louis looked at his grandfather, and said. “I will do so.”

The King waved a hand dismissing him, he bowed, then rose, turned and walked out of the room, as he walked back to his chambers he found himself wondering just what might happen to his grandfather, for the King was clearly not well.

Chapter 65: Another Death

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 65: Another Death

August, 1700

The hour was late. It was damned hot as well, perhaps the hottest it had ever been during her lifetime, still Princess Anne, Duchess of Cumberland and regent for King James, knew that whatever news Sidney Godolphin, Marquess Godolphin had received was clearly important. He would not have sent a runner to her apartments in the Cockpit otherwise, especially at not such a late hour. The whole regency council was here.

“Well?” Anne asked. “What is it?”

“Your Royal Highness,” Sidney began. “I would first like to apologise for the lateness of the hour.” Anne nodded and gestured for him to carry on. “However, a few minutes ago, one of our friends came to me with a missive from our ambassador in Versailles.” Godolphin paused for effect then and Anne had to restrain herself from shouting at him, he liked the dramatics too much. Eventually, he continued. “King Louis of France is dead.”

Anne had been expecting this new for some time, but it still came as a shock. “How did he die?”

“It seems that the illness that had caused his mouth to rot had spread, he suffered some sort of shock late last night after an evening feast, to celebrate the marriage of Louis Duke of Burgundy and Marie Adelaide of Savoy, and died a few hours later.” Sidney said.

Anne looked at Sidney, the news that the Sun King was dead was huge. This was a man who had ruled France for nearly sixty years, who had dominated Europe for almost all of that time as well. And now he was gone. “You are sure of this?” She asked.

“Positive, Your Royal Highness. Our ambassador overheard the King’s doctor and his mistress Madam Maintenon talking about it.” Sidney replied.

“And what have the French done now?” Anne asked. They would surely be in a state of panic or shock now that their King of so long was dead.

“They have sent riders to bring the Dauphin and inform him that he is now the King of France. The Duke of Burgundy has taken control of the Council until such time as the King arrives.” Sidney said.

Anne mused on this. “What do we know about this new King?” She needed to know everything that she could about the man who would soon be ruling her brother’s nearest rival, before any decisions were taken.

“The new King Louis is a man who cares more for the hunt than anything else. Our spies say that he does nothing but hunt, alongside listening to his wife give him advice on what to do politically. It seems that his wife was the one who pushed for the marriage between the Duke of Burgundy and Marie Adelaide of Savoy. A report from our friends at Versailles suggests that the Duke of Burgundy and the new King do not get along.” Sidney said.

“So, then, there is a chance for sowing chaos within France?” Charles Middleton, Earl Middleton and Northern Secretary asked keenly.

“I think so, yes.” Sidney replied.

“You think so, or you know so?” Came the query from James Drummond, Earl of Perth.

“We cannot be sure for certain, but everything that we have gathered suggests that they will not get along or do anything to work together.” Sidney said.

William Cowper, Baron Cowper and Lord Chancellor spoke then. “I think we should best refer to them as the Dauphin and the King. After all, with the death of the Sun King, the positions have changed.”

“Indeed.” Anne said acknowledging the point. “Now,” she changed the topic back on course. “do we know what the new King’s position is on Catalonia and on the Spanish Netherlands?” Both were issues that Anne wanted to fix before anything more happened. She was worried a wider war might break out if they were not sorted.

“Everything we have suggests that the new King will not want to keep the rebels in Catalonia funded, nor will he want to keep troops stationed on the border with the Spanish Netherlands. However, such an action would require the Emperor not to have troops on the Rhine.” Sidney said.

Anne thought on that then, and then said. “So, then an open conference for negotiation is needed to ensure that everything is worked out.”

“I think that would be the best thing to do, Your Royal Highness.” Sidney said.

“Very well.” Anne said. “John, you shall go to Madrid and push them into accepting this conference.”

John Churchill, Earl of Marlborough looked surprised but nodded all the same. “Of course, Your Royal Highness.”

“Sidney, you will instruct our ambassador in Versailles to broach the topic with the new King, and then you shall head off to Versailles to ensure that this happens properly.” Anne said, thinking quickly on her feet, thinking of how she would respond to such a proposal.

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.” Sidney said.

“And Charles, you shall visit Vienna to meet with Emperor Leopold to get him to agree to such a conference.” Anne said.

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.” Charles Middleton replied.

Satisfied with that, Anne nodded, and rose. “Now that that is supported, let us leave and retire for the night.” With that she turned and left the room.

Chapter 66: A New Dawn

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 66: A New Dawn

November, 1700

Maria Antonia stood over the cradle and watched as her son’s chest rose and fell. A clear sign that he was alive and breathing. This was the third time in as many minutes that she’d gotten up from her seat to check. She knew she was perhaps being extra paranoid, but after the past few miscarriages she needed to make sure her son was alive. Her son, a male heir to continue the dynasty and to thwart her father’s plans of bringing Spain back under Habsburg control. The relief had been palpable. It Was not that she didn’t love her two daughters, she did, but she didn’t want to drag Spain back under her father’s control, she wanted Spain to keep her freedom. That was why the birth of her and Jakub’s son Jaime Leopold Juan of Spain was such a relief. It confirmed that he would continue the dynasty.

She felt her husband wrap his arms around her and she smiled. “He’s doing well.” Maria Antonia said quietly, so as not to wake him. He was an easy baby, she knew from speaking with the nurses that her two daughters had been difficult to get to sleep, not Jaime, he slept well enough.

“Good.” Jakub whispered. They spoke in the Castilian that Jakub had learnt, it was a mixture of the old and new versions of the language, and sometimes left them both giggling from confusion. “I spoke with the doctor.”

Maria Antonia turned around to truly look at her husband. He had a bit of stubble on his chin, but otherwise he looked well. “And?” She asked. “What did he say?”

“He said that if we follow the routine he outlined just after Jaime was born, everything should be fine. He countered the advice given to us by the local doctors.” Jakub replied.

“Of course, the Empress did say that Neubeurg has better doctors than Spain. That’s something we’re going to need to sort out soon.” Maria Antonia said, referring to the different method that this doctor her step-mother had recommended to her had used during the birth, which differed greatly to the methods the Spanish court doctors had used previously.

“Indeed, no doubt the court won’t like it though.” Jakub said. “Especially Albuquerque.”

Maria snorted. “Albuquerque failed in Catalonia, his star has fallen. We will be sending him off to New Spain soon enough, we need not worry about his opinion.” It was true, she had decided the moment that she’d received word from Catalonia, Albuquerque had demanded to command the regiments to put down the rebellion, he’d ignored the advice from Alba and subsequently been defeated. It had only been thanks to Jakub appearing in time that the man had not died.

Jakub hummed in agreement. “There will of course need to be meetings with the Inquisition to make them provide the go ahead for others to use this method as well.”

“Of course.” Maria Antonia replied. Deciding that this conversation needed to move elsewhere she changed the topic. “I spoke with the Duke of Cardona; it seems that the French are serious about the peace conference.”

There had been a meeting with the Earl of Marlborough and with the French ambassador and during that meeting a lot of things had been discussed and at the end of it, Maria had come away thinking that perhaps they might get peace. “That doesn’t surprise me,” Jakub replied. “this new French King is not his father, and his wife is a cousin to the King of England. I do not think it is within their interest to go to war now.”

“So, what do you think we should do?” Maria Antonia asked.

Jakub said nothing for a moment and then replied. “I think we should send Cardona to London to hear what the Princess has to say.”

“Not Alba?” Maria Antonia asked. Alba was usually the one she would use for this, but she could somewhat see why her husband had said Cardona.

“No, the issue involves Catalonia, Cardona is from the region. Let him go, let him put forth our case, and the Catalans cannot express any objections to this.” Jakub said. “After all, they have been defeated during their attempted rebellion.”

Maria Antonia snorted, the rebels hadn’t been defeated per say, more they’d lost a battle to her husband, and then their funding had run out so they’d been willing to come to the table. “I still don’t know if I want to discuss the Spanish Netherlands with the English and the French, or whether it would be better to simply have this discussion with the French ourselves.”

“I think it would be good to have this discussion in London, with the Imperial and French representatives there. After all, the Emperor hasn’t abandoned the betrothal between our daughter and Archduke Karl, yet.” Jakub said.

“That is true.” Maria Antonia acknowledged, she thought on that for a bit, turning around to watch as her son slept peacefully, she didn’t want her daughter to marry her half-brother, she found the whole thing off putting mainly because it seemed to her as if her father didn’t believe her son could survive. And as she looked at her son, she wondered if by keeping the betrothal to Karl she was also presenting it as if she didn’t think her boy would live. Reaching her decision, she said. “We’ll send Cardona, but before that we will have the Cortes of both Castile and Aragon recognise Jaime as heir.”

“Yes.” Jakub said. Maria Antonia smiled, at least she and her husband saw eye to eye on this matter.

The birth of a new male heir to the thrones of 'Spain' is going to be a HUGE relief for France, for at least one generation there will be a Sobeski Spanish King, meaning that Spain won't be dancing to Austria's tune as a puppet-state. Now Spain and France will still have a rivalry, it won't be as intense with France fighting against being surrounded by the Habsburgs.

For most living in the kingdoms that make up 'Spain', this is something to celebrate since a healthy male heir means there won't be a Second War of the Spanish Succession, now Aragon's reaction will be a bit more mixed, but since they were defeated and ran out of money quickly, they aren't in a position to complain too much.

VVD0D95

Banned
The birth of a new male heir to the thrones of 'Spain' is going to be a HUGE relief for France, for at least one generation there will be a Sobeski Spanish King, meaning that Spain won't be dancing to Austria's tune as a puppet-state. Now Spain and France will still have a rivalry, it won't be as intense with France fighting against being surrounded by the Habsburgs.

For most living in the kingdoms that make up 'Spain', this is something to celebrate since a healthy male heir means there won't be a Second War of the Spanish Succession, now Aragon's reaction will be a bit more mixed, but since they were defeated and ran out of money quickly, they aren't in a position to complain too much.

Agreed there. And I guess as well that they'll be less willing to turn to the French next time, as the French pulled the plug on them quite quickly, once the Sun King died.