An Heir To Rule

I started reading this cos I saw the listing in the Turtledoves and I have to say I am impressed. You really have these people down well @Tudorfan, making me believe this is how it could of gone down. I do feel for Catherine and Mary, but they made their beds I guess. Glad Hal Fitzroy survived - live long Hal.

Would be very fun if Catherine of Austria delivered twins, a girl and a boy, just for Henry's reactions "a girl... pahh" "but sire also a boy" "a boy?! show me my son!"

Thank you for the scene in Scotland at Loch Awe, I do not think I have come across Innis Chonnel Castle used in a timeline before.

DQwB09tU8AAKQA-

Art by: Andrew Spratt

I have watched this thread to see where this journey goes next.

Last edited:
I started reading this cos I saw the listing in the Turtledoves and I have to say I am impressed. You really have these people down well @Tudorfan, making me believe this is how it could of gone down. I do feel for Catherine and Mary, but they made their beds I guess. Glad Hal Fitzroy survived - live long Hal.

Would be very fun if Catherine of Austria delivered twins, a girl and a boy, just for Henry's reactions "a girl... pahh" "but sire also a boy" "a boy?! show me my son!"

Thank you for the scene in Scotland at Loch Awe, I do not think I have come across Innis Chonnel Castle used in a timeline before.

DQwB09tU8AAKQA-

Art by: Andrew Spratt

I have watched this thread to see where this journey goes next.
I thought "It's sat there empty and Alexander needs a place of his own, so it works."
Technically, it's an old prison, but it can be fixed up easily.
Also, that's a lovely piece of artwork!

Last edited:
Book The Second: Catherine of Austria - The Spanish Princess
I don't know if I have provided this here yet, but this is the map of France c. 1528.
The only part of France that I couldn't get accurate is the small part England has c. 1525 - it should stop at the word manche but the map maker I was using only allowed me to fill in via regions, so I had to do the whole region, rather than just part of it.

france__1528__by_jamesswann_dh3atzy-fullview.jpg

You may be correct, but I could not find an editable "olden timey" map, so it'll have to do. It gets the point across.

You may be correct, but I could not find an editable "olden timey" map, so it'll have to do. It gets the point across.
It doesn't really - most of the land bordering Calais you are showing as English in 1528 was actually Spanish at this point - it's mainly Artois, which didn't become French for another century. Meanwhile you have Brittany missing a third of the Duchy, including it's largest and richest city and in Burgundy you have given the French Spanish territory and the Spanish French territory.

The areas I've highlighted here are the correct borders for the Spanish claims in France & the Duchy of Brittany:

mJPMw6Y.png

You weren't very specific about what English gains in the war were, but I based it on the area around Abbeville that England claimed via the Treaty of Brétigny and then included the area between that and Calais.

It's not perfect, but is reasonably accurate.

It doesn't really - most of the land bordering Calais you are showing as English in 1528 was actually Spanish at this point - it's mainly Artois, which didn't become French for another century. Meanwhile you have Brittany missing a third of the Duchy, including it's largest and richest city and in Burgundy you have given the French Spanish territory and the Spanish French territory.

The areas I've highlighted here are the correct borders for the Spanish claims in France & the Duchy of Brittany:

mJPMw6Y.png

You weren't very specific about what English gains in the war were, but I based it on the area around Abbeville that England claimed via the Treaty of Brétigny and then included the area between that and Calais.

It's not perfect, but is reasonably accurate.
I did actually specify. Edmund wrote to his wife that "everything North of Granville and Ouistreham has fallen to us". So that's what England got, and they retain Calais.
Normandy fell to the Emperor too, with the help of the English, so he has that.

Admittedly, judging by that map, you weren't far off at all.

I did actually specify. Edmund wrote to his wife that "everything North of Granville and Ouistreham has fallen to us". So that's what England got, and they retain Calais.
Normandy fell to the Emperor too, with the help of the English, so he has that.

Admittedly, judging by that map, you weren't far off at all.
I'm not aware of Charles V having any claim to Normandy so that doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me, but here is what it looks likes with England taking everything north of a line running from Granville and Ouistreham and the rest of the Duchy of Normandy going to Charles.

Was your map meant to indicate England gaining land adjacent to Calais from France, or is coastal Picardy meant to remain French?

fZCzMtG.jpeg

I'm not aware of Charles V having any claim to Normandy so that doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me, but here is what it looks likes with England taking everything north of a line running from Granville and Ouistreham and the rest of the Duchy of Normandy going to Charles.

Was your map meant to indicate England gaining land adjacent to Calais from France, or is coastal Picardy meant to remain French?

fZCzMtG.jpeg
1) I am an idiot - I meant Burgundy, not Normandy. (And have I had to go back and change that in two chapters? Yes, yes, I have!)
2) No. Just Calais and "everything North of Granville and Ouistreham".
3) DM me - I may need you to make some maps for me for the future.

Last edited: