An Heir To Rule

Book The First: Katherine of Aragon - The Pomegranate Queen
A little something I have been working on with the wonderful help of @FalconHonour - she also wrote the first opening section of this for me. Lady Eleanor also belongs to her and I am using her with permission from her.

Chapter I: June 1528

Durham House,
London,
June 1528

"Durham House," Edmund thinks, as he reins his sorrel hunter back in the courtyard, having covered the short distance between it and Richmond at an easy canter. "In some ways it’s fitting that Katherine should have retreated here, to the home of her widowhood. After all, a widow is what she is now."

Swinging himself from the saddle, he strides up to his sister’s solar, nodding abruptly to Maria de Salinas as he passes her.

There is a blackness in his face that makes the guards jump to attention and they throw the doors open without a word.

Katherine is sitting by the window, little Beth at her feet. The almost-ten-year-old’s coppery hair is loose and Katherine is playing with it idly as she listens to twelve-year-old Mary play a Welsh ballad on the lute.

It is a pretty scene, and for a moment, Edmund is loath to disturb it, but then he hardens his heart. Katherine is not his Queen. Mary and Beth are not his Princesses. They are no more than his brother’s natural daughters, daughters born to a bare-faced liar.

"My Lady," he bows crisply, shallowly.

A shadow crosses Katherine’s face as she notes his lack of respect for her rank, but she has no time to say anything before Beth looks up, her narrow face lighting up with joy.

"Uncle Edmund!"

She springs to her feet. As she flies towards him, Edmund can’t help but embrace her. She’s always been the more vivacious of the Tudor sisters, and bastard or not, she reminds him of her aunt Mary when they were children.

"Could you and Mary give me some time with your mother, please, Beth?" he asks a moment later, putting the young girl away from him gently. "I’ve got some very important news from Court to tell her."

Beth nods at once – he’s always been her favourite uncle – but Mary, graver and more aware of her supposed position as Henry’s heiress, hesitates. She looks to her mother, and it is only when Katherine gives an encouraging nod that she lets her younger sister pull her from the room.

The moment the door closes behind the girls, Katherine whirls on Edmund.

"Is that any way to greet your Queen, Lord Somerset?!"

The colour is high in her cheeks, her accent thick. His deliberate omission of the respect due to her as Queen has clearly struck a nerve. Edmund laughs scornfully.

"How proud you still are, My Lady Dowager!"

Katherine’s jaw drops. How dare Edmund – a man young enough to be her son, a boy she has never liked, but has loved for Henry’s sake - denigrate her so?

Edmund sees her temper rising and cuts her off, unrolling a long scroll.

"Henry bade me bring you this. It is the Pope’s ruling on Your Majesties’ marriage. Written on the 30th day of April of this year, anno domini 1528, it declares that your marriage to His Grace, Henry, King of England and France and Lord of Ireland is null and void."

"Pope Clement would never -" Katherine begins, flabbergasted, but Edmund, frustrated beyond all measure at his older sister’s continued obstinance, simply talks over her.

"Oh, but he has, Katherine. What’s more, His Holiness has refused to grant your daughters’ legitimacy. He said that, when you married my brother Arthur at sixteen, Your Highness should have been old enough to know what constituted legal consummation and that for you to claim ignorance of the fact that you and Arthur had known each other carnally was a barefaced lie. His Holiness has also voided the dispensation granted by Pope Julius in 1503 that allowed you to marry Henry even if you had consummated your marriage to Arthur, on the grounds that it was drawn up under undue political pressure from your parents and mine and is therefore invalid."

Edmund pauses for breath, satisfied to see the colour draining from Katherine’s face. His sister has always been far too proud for her own good. Christ, are those tears shining in her eyes? He takes a savage pleasure in the thought.

Rolling up the larger scroll, he lays it on the table beside Katherine with the seal facing upwards so that she cannot dispute the validity of the ruling, and draws another from the leather pouch he wears at his waist.

"My brother is not a vindictive man, Princess. He has no wish to see you destitute. To this end, therefore, His Majesty has decreed that Your Royal Highness shall have £600 per annum from the estates of the late Prince Arthur to keep yourself and your daughters, the Ladies Mary and Elizabeth, in the style to which you are entitled as Dowager Princess of Wales. He is also granting you Hunsdon House for your own use, so that your daughters may receive a stable upbringing until it is time for them to wed. He bade me convey you a promise, made on his immortal soul – that his natural daughters will wed good honest Englishmen in keeping with their rank."

"Knights! Barons! My daughters should have Princes!" Katherine snarls. Edmund scoffs.

"And so they would have done if you had only gone back to Spain when Arthur died. You could have been Queen of France or Duchess of Savoy, with not a doubt in anyone’s minds as to the validity of your match. But no. You had to have Henry. You had to have Henry and grudge who grudge."

Suddenly exhausted, Edmund turns on his heel and strides for the door. At the threshold, he pauses, though he doesn’t turn back to look at Katherine.

"You brought this upon yourself, Katherine. You must have known your lie couldn’t last forever, and yet you perpetuated it all through the last quarter-century. Well, now you must live with the consequences of your actions. I wish you joy of telling your daughters."

With that, he steps across the threshold and lets the guards swing the doors shut behind him.

In the instant before the heavy doors close entirely, Katherine’s self-control deserts her. A guttural howl escapes her, her anguished rage echoing through Durham House for all to hear.

*~*~*~*~*

In the silence that follow the departure of the Duke of Somerset, Eleanor wonders how long it will be before the now Dowager Princess of Wales tells her daughters of their change in status.

She gets her answer exactly one hour and twenty two minutes later - she actually counts the clock as the minutes tick by.

The former Princess Mary emerges from her chambers, a whirl of green and red, hair and dress mingling as she moves.

"My Lady?"

She shouldn't speak - oh, she really shouldn't, given that it is her sister the King chose to divorce the former Queen for - but she cannot help it.

The crack that shakes her head violently rings out around Durham House as the former Princess's hand smashes around her face with a sickening crunch and her gable hood, protocol in the former Queen's household, falls to the floor. "Dear God," thinks Eleanor, seeing Lady Mary's face as the fury dances behind her blue eyes. "She's not crying: she's a Tudor true".

"Get out!"

Mary doesn't say it so much as spit it, fury dancing through her words.

"My Lady?"

"OUT!"

Mary roars the word into Eleanor's face as fury runs wild and she hurls a paperweight that makes the walls clunk as it barely misses Eleanor's head. "I have no desire to see you or your ilk again. Write to your father, to the commoner that sired you, and tell him you have been dismissed - now and forevermore - from my presence. And then get out."

Eleanor flees.

The week that follows, the agonising days that she has to wait for her mother and father to come and retrieve her, is Hell on Earth. Lady Mary upturns a chamber pot over her head, trips her when she's carrying trays, forbids her from using the privy causing her to wet herself several times and then refuses to let her change her dresses, makes her cry six times and draws blood when she slaps her around the face again, as if she takes some perverse glee out of making her life as terrible as she can.

Finally, finally, she's had enough - "What did I do to you, My Lady?" she asks after five days of punishment at the Lady Mary's hands.

"If your concubine of a sister had not come along, then my father would still be married to my mother and Elizabeth and I would still be Princesses. Ironic, isn't it? Two of you three Boleyn girls turned out to be whores - one in France, the other here in England! One wonders if you'll be the same?"

"My Lady, I-"

"-I think you will. Now get out of my presence before I upturn that tray over your head and beat you with it."

The threat - nay, Eleanor realises, the promise - lingers. None of Katherine's ladies help - they're either Spanish or loyal to the Dowager Princess or scared of defying the King's daughter, bastard though she may be - and so she suffers on until, at last, at long last, her mother and father arrive to bring her home.

"Your Royal Highness," Eleanor drops a curtsey to The Dowager Princess as, finally, she can leave the worst days of her life.

"Enough of your bile!" spits the Lady Mary before her mother can answer, or before little Beth can open her mouth to speak. "Away with you. Be gone from my presence, you traitorous moll. Oh, and Sir Thomas?" The gall she has, to not even acknowledge the new Earl's title, makes Eleanor gasp in surprise. "Let this be a warning to you and your family here and now: If you ever darken my life again, even if you are with my father, I will order the guards to fire the canons at you. Get out. And don't ever come back. Remember, Mistress Eleanor, a Tudor does not forget slights against them. Ever."

And that, Eleanor knows, as Lady Mary orders the servants inside and drags her mother and sister away without even a curtsey to Eleanor's parents, now an Earl and Countess, is the end of that.

The servants, far from gently, load up their luggage into the carriage her parents have arrived with and Eleanor climbs in, the last to do so. She turns and looks up to the windows of Durham House.

There, face full of fury, hatred radiating from every bone, is the Lady Mary, glaring at her.

"Oh, Anne, what have you done?" wonders Eleanor. "At least you are dead and do not have to suffer this."

Katherine, having now lost everything, watches the carriage trail away. "How has it come to this?" she thinks sadly, watching Mary stalk away from the window as the carriage vanishes from sight. "How has everything gone so wrong? It was not always this way."

Last edited:
Poor Mary, Katherine and Elizabeth? Hopefully things don't end too horribly for them. Excellent start!

Poor Mary, Katherine and Elizabeth? Hopefully things don't end too horribly for them. Excellent start!
Horrible, no.
Why is edmund so mean?
He's not - he's just doing his duty and telling his brother's former wife, who's been found guilty of lying to God and denying Henry an heir for twenty years, that their marriage is over. If you have sympathy, she can easily over-power you with words.

I wonder if Anne’s death? affected the annulment. If Anne’s gone the Pope/Charles V might be more willing since Henry could remarry one of their relatives. It’s not like France has any good options.

Chapter II: 1516

Royal Château de Blois,
France,
March 1516

"Good morning, Your Grace," says Diane de Poitiers, placing the tray onto the bed, its legs over the Queen Dowager. A letter rests on the side of the tray. "News from England, Your Grace."

"Thank you, Diane," she says.

Mary Tudor opens the letter with the butter knife and flicks it open, halfway through a bite of her breakfast. She nearly chokes.

Marie,

Katherine has given Henry a living child - a girl. They have named her Mary, after yourself. Henry desires you to be Godmother and is eyeing a marriage between his little Mary and your own little Louis.

This will not, of course, be in the letter the English Ambassador brings with him to the Duke of Valois, so do with it as you wish, but you did not hear it from me.

Your favourite brother,

Edmund.

She has to laugh - oh, she shouldn't, but she does. Katherine's fifth attempt, this time not ending in failure, has provided just a girl. She managed a boy to Louis on her first - and only - pregnancy.

How Louise had been furious at the news; yes, Francis has been appointed as joint-Regent with her after the death of old King Louis, but he won't get the throne now - if anything happens to the new King, Young Louis, then Francis, as heir presumptive, will be the first to be blamed.

"Fetch me some parchment and quill," she says to Diane. "I must write to England. And tell the Duke of Valois that I desire to see him."

*~*~*~*~*

Holyrood House,
Edinburgh, Scotland,
March 1516

Margaret laughs as she reads the letter. What a failure Katherine has been as Queen.

"Even I managed two sons to James," she thinks, watching her almost two-year-old son, Alexander, Duke of Ross, playing with some blocks on the floor.

Her eldest son, King James, almost four, training with a small wooden sword, knocks them over, and Alexander whimpers and cries: "YOU KNOCK BWOCKS! YOU KNOCK BWOCKS!" to his brother, his face scrunched up in displeasure as tears stream down his face.

She doesn't rise to help them. She doesn't need too - James, ever the good King and brother, stops what he's doing, crouches, and re-stacks the blocks for Alexander, who's face lights up at the sight of the enormous pile of blocks now standing before him.

"BWOCKS!" he declares, clapping his hands excitedly, taking one off the top and handing it to James. James takes it, grins, and reaches out to ruffle Alexander's bright red hair. Alexander pouts at him under the long fringe and James laughs.

"Pway bwocks," demands Alexander to James. "Pway bwocks, bwover King."

"Sword," says James, holding it up, grinning brightly.

"Bwocks," declares Alexander, holding up a red one.

"Sword." James holds the sword out to Alexander.

"BWOCKS!" declares Alexander, knocking the sword away. "BWOCKS! BWOCKS! BWOCKS!"

Finally, James concedes - he can't resists Alexander's cute face when it's all scrunched up and sad - and returns his sword to its holster on the wall, then sits himself down in front of Alexander to join him in playing with the blocks.

"Yes," Margaret thinks, glad that she had informed the regency council about Angus's intentions towards her, which had led to him being banished from Scotland for five years. "I have been a good Queen. Better than Katherine by far. I have sons."

"WEEE!" cries Alexander as he and James finish stacking the pile of blocks and then push them over. "Bwocks go boom!"

"And, I've sired two warriors," she thinks, watching her sons cheer at the pile of tumbling blocks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if scotland had attainders. and douglas would probably not be banished but just marry another woman instead. regardless, i love seeing mary having a surviving baby boy with louis xii. and james and alexander seem like a lively pair, margaret must be glad she has nursemaids and other attendants!

I'm not sure if scotland had attainders. and douglas would probably not be banished but just marry another woman instead. regardless, i love seeing mary having a surviving baby boy with louis xii. and james and alexander seem like a lively pair, margaret must be glad she has nursemaids and other attendants!
I don't think they do, but Margaret is English - she would think of it as an attainder, so I referred to it as such. I can't find what it's actually called, so I'll edit it just to banishment for a few years.
And, yes, James and Alexander are lively.
And you see why France became a ball-ache - I've got a young King, his Dowager regent mother, his half-sisters, his regent-half-brother-in-law, and his regent-half-brother-in-law's mother and sister to deal with! What a mess!

With both of his sister having given birth to sons, now Kings, Henry is definitely going to be feeling pressure earlier than OTL. Great update!

With both of his sister having given birth to sons, now Kings, Henry is definitely going to be feeling pressure earlier than OTL. Great update!
Yep. He's got a French nephew and two Scottish nephews breathing down his neck. He's trapped from above and below if anything happens to him before he has a son.

If Henry Dies it's very possible the crown would go to France or Scotland so Henry most likely feel boxin by his sisters and nephews.

Aw! You already know I like this, but I shall say it again. I feel sorry for Eleanor Boleyn, but Mary and Beth should be fine. Henry will be generous now that he's got what he wants.

And James and Alexander are adorable!

I feel sorry for Eleanor Boleyn,
I know right!?!? Looking at what Mary did:

Lady Mary upturns a chamber pot over her head, trips her when she's carrying trays, forbids her from using the privy causing her to wet herself several times and then refuses to let her change her dresses, makes her cry six times and draws blood when she slaps her around the face again, as if she takes some perverse glee out of making her life as terrible as she can.

I can't believe no one stepped in. Even if it's only Katherine because "such actions are not befitting of a princess" or something.

I can't believe no one stepped in. Even if it's only Katherine because "such actions are not befitting of a princess" or something.
Don't forget, Katherine has just lost everything she knew in life - she's reeling herself, so isn't in a place to deal with her daughters, as she's having an OMGWTFNOOOOO! moment at that point.

Don't forget, Katherine has just lost everything she knew in life - she's reeling herself, so isn't in a place to deal with her daughters, as she's having an OMGWTFNOOOOO! moment at that point.
What about a governess? Like verbal abuse I can totally believe, but Mary’s a child and now a bastard so I can’t see there being nobody who would stop her.

Also, interesting premise and I’m really excited to see where this goes.

What about a governess? Like verbal abuse I can totally believe, but Mary’s a child and now a bastard so I can’t see there being nobody who would stop her.

Also, interesting premise and I’m really excited to see where this goes.
At this point in time, Mary's Governess is Lady Salisbury, one of the most Catholic Catholics to have ever been Catholic and an ardent supporter of Katherine and Mary - if Eleanor is "justly" punished by Mary for her sister's actions, well, she's not going to step in.