An Age of Miracles III: The Romans Endure

What would be the flag or flags of Rhomania? The golden cross with four Bs? The something with the double headed eagle? Just Chi Rho?

Last edited:
What would be the flag or flags of Rhomania? The golden cross with four Bs? The something with the double headed eagle? Just Chi Rho?
Why not all all of those?

Attachments

• IMG_20230126_185059.jpg
    IMG_20230126_185059.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 172

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Yeah, I probably wouldn't include the B's on it personally, at least for the national flag. Probably wouldn't even be used as it only became a thing under the Palaiologoi as their personal banner and coat of arms, granted the meaning of Basileùs basiléon basileúon basileúousin/King of Kings ruling over the kings is very Roman. But the doubnle-headed eagle, the cross, and the Chi Rho, along with the colors, are very Eastern Roman, just missing some purple some where, maybe the inner cross space could be purple rather than red, like this.

Attachments

• Flag of Rhomaion.jpg
    Flag of Rhomaion.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Yeah, I probably wouldn't include the B's on it personally, at least for the national flag. Probably wouldn't even be used as it only became a thing under the Palaiologoi as their personal banner and coat of arms, granted the meaning of Basileùs basiléon basileúon basileúousin/King of Kings ruling over the kings is very Roman. But the doubnle-headed eagle, the cross, and the Chi Rho, along with the colors, are very Eastern Roman, just missing some purple some where, maybe the Chi Rho could be purple rather than red.
Is that not purple in the background? Looks purple to me. I guess it could be a bit more towards blue, but tbh purple just doesn't work on a flag that well.

Edit: yeah, sorry man but the two different types of purple just clash horribly if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Is that not purple in the background? Looks purple to me. I guess it could be a bit more towards blue, but tbh purple just doesn't work on a flag that well.

Edit: yeah, sorry man but the two different types of purple just clash horribly if I'm honest.

One of major reason why in many flags is not purple is that the color has been damned expensive before it was possible to create artificially. Red background would be most suitable.

For those who wanted red with Timurid dots thrown in.

Attachments

• Rhomania Sigeros flag.png
    Rhomania Sigeros flag.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Rhomania Sigeros flag-alternate.png
    Rhomania Sigeros flag-alternate.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 120
There are OTL flags that would likely be in use ITTL and may become popular enough to become de-facto national flags, such as this one:
1702309291706.png

Keep in mind, that whatever you think the best flag design might be you're probably thinking from a modern design standpoint of a banner for a nation. Try to think like a 17th century monarch.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
That's why I think the double-headed eagle is near guaranteed, that has been a Roman symbol since the start of the empire, if not before, and was heavily used since the first Komnenian dynasty. Not to mention the symbolism of what the imperial eagle represents.

Only the Chi Rho comes as close to as old and tied to the Christian Roman state.

That's why I think the double-headed eagle is near guaranteed, that has been a Roman symbol since the start of the empire, if not before, and was heavily used since the first Komnenian dynasty. Not to mention the symbolism of what the imperial eagle represents.

Only the Chi Rho comes as close to as old and tied to the Christian Roman state.
Hmm, I don't know when the double headed eagle came into play but at the beginning of the Empire, under Augustus, it was a single headed eagle