An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Back when Iskander The Great conquered northern India in the 1610s/1620s it spurred Vijayanagara to launch an incredibly massive army to drive him out.

As far as I can tell the same Venkata Raya is still the leader of Vijayanagara in 1643. He's still the same guy who considers all of India, not just the southern cone, his sphere of influence. He's still the same guy who in the past has berated European ambassadors for being overly arrogant and aggrandizing. Most importantly, he's still the guy who has far and away the largest army (and a new first-rate navy too, purchased from the Spanish) on the block.

If the Romano-Persians cross into the Punjab or even into Oudh, kill/capture Ibrahim, and then promptly leave, that's one thing. They can probably smooth over any ruffled feathers with a gift or two. If they decide to stick around and set up shop, well, that's something else.

As @Daylight Savings said above, invading India proper anytime soon could trigger the wrath of God.
This, Rhomania and Persia need to recover both financially and demographically, not to mention that Persia will need to first bring Central Asia and Afghanistan/Baluchistan into line. Now if that happens and Persia fully focuses on the east, which has a much better rate of return than yet another fight over Syria/Armenia, then they could manage to take and hold the area around the Indus.

A big reason for Rhomania to want Persia successful in the east is that this would bring them into direct conflict with China and the Triunes, and Vijayanagara, which is a good thing in Constantinople's eyes. The biggest thing that would need to happen is Rhomania would need to broker a joint border treaty recognition between Rhomania, Georgia, Russia, and Persia for it to work long term.

Oh I weep for Triune interests in the Indian ocean for the next generation. If the Triunes and Vij can't get along Bengal is going to be awfully isolated with the Ottomans being this friendly with Rome.

This kind of report can give Rome time to re organize the East more thoroughly, and look to settle the past Spanish squabble too in more favourable terms. In saying that the Triunes now have the invested interests of the lowlands stacked with theirs in the region so it's still a bit dicey. Given the powerful native players too, whoever is in charge of the East portfolio in the WhtPal better have their wits about them. Another muddled conflict like the last one could see Rome's holdings in a properly hot soup, and not delicious green curry hot either.

Oh I weep for Triune interests in the Indian ocean for the next generation. If the Triunes and Vij can't get along Bengal is going to be awfully isolated with the Ottomans being this friendly with Rome.

This kind of report can give Rome time to re organize the East more thoroughly, and look to settle the past Spanish squabble too in more favourable terms. In saying that the Triunes now have the invested interests of the lowlands stacked with theirs in the region so it's still a bit dicey. Given the powerful native players too, whoever is in charge of the East portfolio in the WhtPal better have their wits about them. Another muddled conflict like the last one could see Rome's holdings in a properly hot soup, and not delicious green curry hot either.
In all honesty, considering Ody doesn't seem to want to be in Constantinople, it would be very cool to see them go east personally, and actually visit the City of Victory on the way to organising the East. If the eastern border in Asia can be demilitarised, then taking a (relatively) small force of veterans from this war to RITE to effective act as a troop core and heart of a training program, a reorganisation of the territories could be done by his own hand.

Heck, finish it with a trip to Japan. No idea why, unless he was going to use his presence as a way to fine tune a negotiation for something for RITE. With the European border sorted, having an Emperor make the tour of the East to understand the diplomacy there would be a hell of a story.

Sadly there is the uh... "what if he sinks" problem.

Well thinking about who might be in charge of the East: Ody hates Constantinople, maybe after settling things in Mesopotamia he could look to take a tour of the eastern territories. It would be extremely out of character for a monarch of the era in OTL. But with all his neighbors either stable or too exhausted to fight at the moment and with someone he trusts as completely as Athena to man the fort it might be a golden opportunity. Plus we know that he has a sense of adventure and is a scholar at heart, and to top it off leaving from Egypt, it is a much shorter journey than what and OTL king of Spain or Portugal would need to make.

edit: Looks like I was a little slow to the punch.

Last edited:
That's what makes the twin armies thing interesting - by all rights Odysseus has already completed an incredible feat, but were a handful of updates into his reign of glory. With the hints on India, part of me expects that, but there is also Central Asia, that could get reorganised.

Though I'm intrigued to see if we could see Iskandar focus on a reorganisation of Afghanistan. With the loss of a chunk of Mesopotamia, the Indus could be a good way to make up for it, but it drags the political centre of the Empire eastwards. - potentially to Kabul, but more likely Mashhad. Securing the Khyber Pass and establishing political control over the Indus would serve both Roman and Persian interests. Persia could well make a lot of money via the Indus, a good replacement for Mesopotamia if they're reorienting and making a lasting peace with the Romans. For the Romans, a distant Persia, that is also bogged down in India allows them to focus their resources on other fronts.

I'm hesitant to speculate further though, because Oudh was mentioned and for love nor money can I find the map of India for this timeline, to know what is Oudh, what is Vijayanagar, and what is "Other"
My maps are of course noncanon but I think generally the light purple blob is Oudh, (although I fear it may be too big). And the Burnt orange nation is Vijayanagar (Light orange is the Sikh state that is a vassal to Vijay
Screenshot (7).png

Heck, finish it with a trip to Japan. No idea why, unless he was going to use his presence as a way to fine tune a negotiation for something for RITE. With the European border sorted, having an Emperor make the tour of the East to understand the diplomacy there would be a hell of a story.
Odysseus "Weeaboo Jones" Sideros incoming? (And in the distance, you can hear a faint "GIRUGAMESH" shouted by Iskandar)

Yeah, weeb emperor incoming. Maybe he can negotiate with Kagami Yoshimizu to resume the original run of Lucky Star...

What do you all think about me changing the Ottomans color from green to the typical persian yellow after the war since they seem to have moved far from their Turkish roots

What do you all think about me changing the Ottomans color from green to the typical persian yellow after the war since they seem to have moved far from their Turkish roots
I'd keep it the same to be honest. There's no dynastic/political change (aren't they descended from the Komnenoi?) aside from Iskandar taking the throne, so no use in changing the state colors.

While I think this is unrealistic or even ASB, I wonder if there could be a segment where Odysseus and his crew are shipwrecked at a post-Wu Australia if he ever visited Nusantara and the rest of the East, witnessing the massive changes that resulted from Chinese colonization of the entire continent.

I'd keep it the same to be honest. There's no dynastic/political change (aren't they descended from the Komnenoi?) aside from Iskandar taking the throne, so no use in changing the state colors.

While I think this is unrealistic or even ASB, I wonder if there could be a segment where Odysseus and his crew are shipwrecked at a post-Wu Australia if he ever visited Nusantara and the rest of the East, witnessing the massive changes that resulted from Chinese colonization of the entire continent.
That seems exceedingly unlikely. Although a curious man might take a journey to the east, hear tales of the lost land of the Wu and begin to fund some voyages of discovery upon returning home. Fingers crossed for Roman discovery of New Zealand and a Maori guard.

In all honesty, considering Ody doesn't seem to want to be in Constantinople, it would be very cool to see them go east personally, and actually visit the City of Victory on the way to organising the East. If the eastern border in Asia can be demilitarised, then taking a (relatively) small force of veterans from this war to RITE to effective act as a troop core and heart of a training program, a reorganisation of the territories could be done by his own hand.

Sadly there is the uh... "what if he sinks" problem.
Perhaps we could call it....an Odyssey.:cool:XD

I'll leave now.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
I do wonder if Iskander and the Ottomans might take this chance to better unify the Turkish and Persian parts of their people to make a more blended culture, and assimilate the other minorities like the Arabs and Afghans. Especially if they bring in more of the Turkish and Iranian groups from Central Asia.

Granted they will likely need to more integrate rather than assimilate the Punjabi and/or Sindhi at least if they manage to take the Indus again, which should be their long term goal.

I do wonder if Iskander and the Ottomans might take this chance to better unify the Turkish and Persian parts of their people to make a more blended culture, and assimilate the other minorities like the Arabs and Afghans. Especially if they bring in more of the Turkish and Iranian groups from Central Asia.

Granted they will likely need to more integrate rather than assimilate the Punjabi and/or Sindhi at least if they manage to take the Indus again, which should be their long term goal.
I'm actually hoping we get a cultural update on the Ottoman state following the war. My understanding was that most of the Turkish elements were in Mesopotamia, while Persia proper was still largely Persian. With the loss of northern Mesopotamia and the devastation of Baghdad, the cultural center seems like it could shift well in favor of the Persian portion, even though the Ottomans are technically a Turkish dynasty. This would actually be an interesting mirror of Rhomania, since they also had a significant Turkish population that was eventually subsumed under the reemergent Greek identity.

Although a curious man might take a journey to the east, hear tales of the lost land of the Wu and begin to fund some voyages of discovery upon returning home. Fingers crossed for Roman discovery of New Zealand and a Maori guard.
Yeah, there are Wu refugees that live in China and the rest of East Asia, iirc, so there's got to be some Roman merchant or explorer that has heard of the lost land of the far south with undiscovered peoples. That's a likely scenario where a Roman could potentially visit the entire extent of the continent, including NSW/Victoria where most of the Wu are probably located. And yes, even New Zealand could be discovered as well.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
I'm actually hoping we get a cultural update on the Ottoman state following the war. My understanding was that most of the Turkish elements were in Mesopotamia, while Persia proper was still largely Persian. With the loss of northern Mesopotamia and the devastation of Baghdad, the cultural center seems like it could shift well in favor of the Persian portion, even though the Ottomans are technically a Turkish dynasty. This would actually be an interesting mirror of Rhomania, since they also had a significant Turkish population that was eventually subsumed under the reemergent Greek identity.
Yeah, from what I recall Southern Mesopotamia, particularly centered around Basra, is the current Turkish homeland, with Northern Mesopotamia mostly populated by Kurds, Turkopoles, and Arabs with Central Mesopotamia where the Arab population is largely located. In fact this war could greatly reduce what influence Arabs still have in the Ottoman Empire with the loss of the Levant and Northern Mesopotamia and the destruction of Central Mesopotamia. I see some enterprising Turks in Basra taking advantage of the destruction to gain more control of Central Mesopotamia and drag the political and economic weight farther south to Basra and Kuwait.

Beyond that Iskander will likely see that he needs to more unify his people so that this cultural split between the two economic and demographic centers of his empire doesn't happen again, so long as the Persian Plateau and Central and Southern Mesopotamia are united the Ottoman Empire will have the strength to retake the periphery in Central Asia and the Hindu Kush and push into India.

Last edited: