An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Excellent overview of the battle and shows what happens when neither side gets what they want. I also see one effect of this little war is to make sure there are a few third rates, maybe even a second or two, hanging around out east just in case. I don't think Rhomania will allow itself to be outgunned like that again for a while.

Interesting. The Armada does appear to be being whittled down, but the Romans are also taking losses. It looks unlikely this will capture New Constantinople, but the Spanish will have the upper hand in the region for years. Diplomacy plays a big part in deciding this.

That was a great update, and a satisfying tactical victory (if a strategic draw due to the storm - oooph, bad luck Pereira.) I'm genuinely concerned that the war won't be won by destroying ships but by making it impossible to man them.

I do love the cliffhanger ending, it really reinforces the drips that Mataram might not be so steadfast if the Romans don't start delivering modern D3s. I'm tempted to say they might turncoat and help the Spanish, or simply not deliver the food. I'm proper excited, I'm interested to see what calculations these monarchs make.

Like @Cryostorm said I'm not sure the Romans will let themselves be outgunned like that ever again out east, and the reaction post-war might be the big calculus here. The Romans will want to build bigger, local, better gunned, and be better organised. That sounds like the beginning of a Rhomania-in-the-East that will want to consolidate the region so that that this can NEVER happen again, not simply be the biggest European in the region. If I'm local, I'd be tempted to prepare what happens next, and see if there is any way THEY can come out on top. New Constantinople might look very nice under a Hindu ruler.

I'm reading the first half of the Age of Miracles TL and it's great. Unfortunately none of the images work anymore, and I wonder if it's not too much to ask for the original images again...
His Patreon also has a semi-reboot of the earlier part of the story, which I find to be an excellent addition.

(An Age of Miracles was always good, but the writing quality definitely improved over time too - now the earliest updates are at the later standards)

I’m really not a fashion person; I’m a jeans and t-shirt/sweatshirt guy.

That said, the main reason that portraits of TTL figures are so rare is that I look at OTL European portraits and so many of them feel off for reasons. Anyone with powdered wigs are out, and many are clean-shaven. Also stuff like those huge lace neck things I just think look stupid, and I want my Romans to look cool.

So Roman fashion would be a mix of east and west. I remember making a comment back in the late 1500s that there was a fad for ‘Damascene’ style clothing in the high society.

They’re definitely wearing it, at least for formal occasions. That’s a classic. As for how it looks, they’d be looking similar to those of the early Palaiologoi. I figure that the TTL Laskarids of the same time period (late 1200s) would wear an identical garment, and the historical prestige behind said style has kept it unchanged for the last 350 years.
Heh, I share this problem. You read about some really interesting and intelligent Early Modern character, then you track down an image and he looks completely ludicrous to modern sensibilities.

This also has made me wonder how long suits have been in fashion. It feels like they've been a staple of formalwear for.... a century at least? I don't understand fashion enough to know why it's frozen on suits.

The Triunes and Rhomania don’t have to be rivals. I’m viewing them as similar to France and Russia pre-1870. They’re not necessarily rivals, but they eye each other and can go and annoy each other. And if one goes crazy, the other will intervene.

I quite like this view on Triune-Roman relations. Jupiter can co-exist with Saturn, but isn't going to lose any sleep if Saturn takes a tumble.

If you're running with France-Russia as a comparison, it makes me realise my current point about an alliance can easily change too. Co-operation might make sense when it's Germany that's a concern for both, but that doesn't preclude situations like the Crimean War.

Interestingly, I've long thought that the Triunes riding out the advent of nationalism would be a fun dynamic to explore. That again could even track to France-Russia, with France being the traditionally more powerful and sophisticated power that's losing ground to Russia by the 1900s.

Katepano Motzilos

So do they call him the “Fiery Fox”?

But they carry 900 top-notch samurai, skilled in wielding both of their signature blades as well as the flintlock, commanded by Tokugawa Ieyasu. Tokugawa is a veteran of Roman service, a key architect in the Visayas campaigns, rewarded for valor and martial prowess with the title of Kyr and both the Order of the Dragon and the Order of the Iron Gates.

Holy fucking shitnuggets, the Espanyolos are gonna get boomed, aren’t they?

Pereira: “I’m coming to Rhomania in the East today.”

Tokugawa: “Dope.”

Pereira: *smiles*

Tokugawa: “Oh really?”

Pereira: “Oh really, what?”

Tokugawa: “You trying to get the pipe?”

I hope we get a firsthand account from one of these Samurai at some point. God this tl is so awesome

Excerpt from “Lords of the Spiceroom”, by Tokugawa Ieyasu, translated into Greek in 1999 by Shinnipori Press

“It was the sweltering heat of midday when we encountered the Spanish Fleet. Myself and the samurai under my command had exchanged the traditional panoplies of Nihon for the garments of a Daiyen (IE, Roman) marine. The squadron commander, known as Marcos Lobo, saw this adaptation to the local conditions and gave a derisive remark as we prepared to engage:

‘Tomodachi! I think you’ve got the wrong door! The leather club’s two blocks down.’

Whilst all of us were angered greatly by this...insinuation of our proclivities, none was more so than my lieutenant Tadano Kosugi, a man known as the Dark Forest Fairy for his almost supernatural ability to launch attacks at night.

‘FUCK YOU.’ Kosugi’s retort could be heard miles away.

‘No, fuck you, leatherman. Maybe you and I should setter things right here on the high seas if you think you’re so tough.’

‘Oh yeah? I’ll kick your ass!’

‘Ha! Yeah right man. Let’s go! I’ll show YOU who’s boss of this archipelago.’
And yet for all our boasting and the might of Yamato arms, we were forced to limp away like stray dogs kicked by a butcher...”

...The Caribbean colonies can survive by being in a not-obvious corner...

I’m picturing as a sort of Danish West Indies. It gets repeatedly overrun by enemies of the metropole, but always handed back at the peace treaty.

As far as I remember, Romania-in-the-West is two small islands in the Caribbean. Correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

Let us start with the primary reason why Romans took these two dinky little isles in the first place: sugar. The problem with these two sugar isles is that these two and Cyprus and Egypt still won't produce enough sugar to satisfy all of Rhomania IMO, and the Latins can produce more sugar, cheaper. I guess those two little islands could help a little, but given how small they are... meh, Romania is still going to depend on the Latins for sugar. So economically, the islands grow less useful over time as the Latin powers and Mexico get huge sugar plantations up and running.

Secondly, the islands are still somewhat valuable, since they do produce some sugar, unlike the actual Danish West Indies, which were uninhabited if I'm not wrong. So any Latin power at war with Romania would seize the islands as fast as possible, not only to add a few more sugarfields but, more crucially, to deprive the Romans of said fields.

Thirdly, Denmark was a second-rate power at its greatest, and was usually more irrelevant than that, with its greatest mortal enemies being countries like Sweden, which could not really project power to the Caribbean. On the other hand, Spain, Arles and Triunia are all potential enemies of Romania, a great power, and all have American interests.

Fourthly, there is a metric Spain between Romania and its Caribbean holdings, so resupply and reinforcement are significantly more difficult, though the Mexican alliance allays this somewhat.

In conclusion, I do not think that Romania-in-the-West is a viable long-term proposition, unless Romania decides to take a more... active role in the Americas similar to Romania-in-the-East.

Heck, the Romans may end up selling the islands to Mexico!

Last edited:
On the recent update...
Cool battle. I don't think Pereira can hold on for much longer once the Romans get the Pyrgos and Taprobane fleets to Island Asia, though I would not count him out. He's crafty, and could well find ways to continue screwing up Roman efforts.

I wonder who Sanjaya will support. He knows that the Romans aren't as good an ally as the Spanish, seeing the guns he gets, but the Romans could tempt him with greater support to consolidate more of Java under his banner.
I dunno. Sanjaya is the real wildcard here to me.

Also, did Ieyasu convert to Orthodoxy?

Really exciting and fun update. And long term good for Romans, if this campaigning season is over due to monsoon and 40% of Spanish are already dead, Pereira will have major trouble just to man his fleet next year (diseases will have plenty time to wreck them now).

South Africa has a coastline close 3,000 km and a land area around 1.2 million square km. That the Triunes planted a few hundred or a few thousand people in part of it hardly means they control the whole place. The Triunes are in Cape Town, someone else can just as easily colonize the Durban area, with a third in East London and someone else in Port Elizabeth. Overall you could well have up to 5 separate colonies developing, each one centered in one of the modern major ports, given the distances between them.
Fair point. I can totally see Ethiopia getting up in there since they have a lot of trade with Kongo
I only saw these now, but I think it might be very much an interesting thing to see a Roman, Omani or Ethiopian ruler try to ally with the Khoikhoi or the Malagasy further. A unified, musket-armed Khoikhoi could be a nightmare for other colonisers to deal with - though I can see it working better with a maritime Malagasy that insists on tolls, and is able to settle S.Africa as well. It could create a smaller ally in the region, effectively capping off allied control of East Africa.

I only saw these now, but I think it might be very much an interesting thing to see a Roman, Omani or Ethiopian ruler try to ally with the Khoikhoi or the Malagasy further. A unified, musket-armed Khoikhoi could be a nightmare for other colonisers to deal with - though I can see it working better with a maritime Malagasy that insists on tolls, and is able to settle S.Africa as well. It could create a smaller ally in the region, effectively capping off allied control of East Africa.
The Khoekhoe might be difficult, as they were one of the only African groups without much immunity to smallpox and other Eurasian diseases, and so got hammered during colonization in a similar manner to indigenous Americans. One of the Bantu states in the region could work if you want a mainland partner to help counterbalance a Latin presence on the Cape, although I'm not familiar enough with pre-Mfecane political geography to offer a solid recommendation as to who that could be.