An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

His Patreon also has a semi-reboot of the earlier part of the story, which I find to be an excellent addition.

(An Age of Miracles was always good, but the writing quality definitely improved over time too - now the earliest updates are at the later standards)

The "Not the end" updates are meticulously researched and footnooted as well as being a great story. Hell, they're better researched than anything I wrote in grad school (which may say something about where I went to grad school but let's not dwell too much on that...)

The Khoekhoe might be difficult, as they were one of the only African groups without much immunity to smallpox and other Eurasian diseases, and so got hammered during colonization in a similar manner to indigenous Americans. One of the Bantu states in the region could work if you want a mainland partner to help counterbalance a Latin presence on the Cape, although I'm not familiar enough with pre-Mfecane political geography to offer a solid recommendation as to who that could be.
The Bantu speaking peoples hadn't realy arrived in South Africa by the 1600's if I'm not mistaken. I think they migrated from the north later on. So maby we could see Ethiopiens colonising the Natal region and come in conflict with the migrating Bantu speaking tribes when they start migrating.
I could also be totally wrong of course so feel free to disagree.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
The Bantu speaking peoples hadn't realy arrived in South Africa by the 1600's if I'm not mistaken. I think they migrated from the north later on. So maby we could see Ethiopiens colonising the Natal region and come in conflict with the migrating Bantu speaking tribes when they start migrating.
I could also be totally wrong of course so feel free to disagree.
From what I can find the Nguni, the parent group that includes the Zulu people, entered and started settling South Africa around 1500. Interestingly the founder of the Zulu nation, Zulu kaMalandela, was born in 1627, and split his father's Nguni kingdom near the end of his life, though Shaka himself only led them to prominence in the 1800s after rebelling from and defeating their previous overlord, so there are people there if the Ethiopians and Rhomans want to play missionary and support a native kingdom to make life difficult for the Latins. Maybe the Nguni have a Rhoman and Ethiopian inspired Shaka a couple centuries early that unites the tribal confederations into an administrative kingdom or Empire based around the KwaZulu-Natal region.

Last edited:
From what I can find the Nguni, the parent group that includes the Zulu people, entered and started settling South Africa around 1500. Interestingly the founder of the Zulu nation, Zulu kaMalandela, was born in 1627, and split his father's Nguni kingdom near the end of his life, though Shaka himself only led them to prominence in the 1800s after rebelling from and defeating their previous overlord, so there are people there if the Ethiopians and Rhomans want to play missionary and support a native kingdom to make life difficult for the Latins. Maybe the Nguni have a Rhoman and Ethiopian inspired Shaka a couple centuries early that unites the tribal confederations into an administrative kingdom or Empire based around the KwaZulu-Natal region.
That's interesting thanks for correcting me, it was typed from my phone without having a chance too look it up.
It will be interesting to see if the local hegemon of the time wouldmaby invite/give permission to a colonial power or even Etheopia to build a port Natal a few 100 years early. And if someone discovers the gold and diamond mines early... I can only imagine that everyone will be paying much closer attention to SA a lot quicker.

That's interesting thanks for correcting me, it was typed from my phone without having a chance too look it up.
It will be interesting to see if the local hegemon of the time wouldmaby invite/give permission to a colonial power or even Etheopia to build a port Natal a few 100 years early. And if someone discovers the gold and diamond mines early... I can only imagine that everyone will be paying much closer attention to SA a lot quicker.

I'm kinda digging the idea of an Ethiopian power play to control the mines, or encouraging the Nguni to trade gold for guns. Especially whoever is in the best place, an early version of the Mthethwa Confederacy (My brief google finds nothing earlier as a unified group, I'd have to do some proper research) would be really epic to see rise from that.

Hey I love the timeline and the map!

Would you be able to list the nations with the 5 largest populations (and what those populations are if you don't mind)? And/or the 5 largest economies?

That will give him an opportunity to crush the smaller Spanish ships (of the 456 big-ship Spanish guns at Semarang, 218 were on the three third-rates) and three ships, no matter how powerful, are far too few to dominate the seas of Island Asia.
Not finished reading yet, but there's something sorta cool about how "fuck you, I'm taking the ball home" about this that I just love.
As a salve to his wounded pride, the Lotharingian deliberately sends the Spanish the wrong way, telling him the Romans sailed north around Borneo rather than south.
And that's fucking hilarious.
The issue is those third-raters, as a close-range slugging match with those leviathans would be murderous. As Angelos pivots, he lets fly all of his fireships, hurling them straight at the Spanish trio. He needs to knock those ships away from the battle, and right now with the winds blowing southwest toward Bali where Mount Agung now looms overhead, the third-raters lack sea room. Now is the best chance to destroy them outright, so Angelos does not hold back.
ah fuck that's metal as hell.
In addition the battle plus the retirement back to Banten to secure his prizes (which were mostly all lost) and the needed repairs has thrown the entire Gelgel operation out of joints. There is no longer enough time to go back to Bali and load those troops before the monsoon, meaning major operations against New Constantinople are not possible until next year. And the wheels of diplomacy will be turning.
I guess this makes this a strategic victory for the Romans? I'd think that being fucked up while the other guy's fucked up is better than being unprepared while he's packing heat.

I'd actually say the Spanish here are in a similar 'boat' as the WWII Japanese. Powerful naval force; but it relies on scoring absolute victory every time. Even just a victory like this isn't enough. They have to take everything from Pahang to Pyrgos.

It honestly still baffles me how an independent kingdom stretching from OTL Mexico to OTL Chile managed to get established and not be part of Europe.

Also will the United Kingdoms see an equivalent of the English Civil War or Wars of the Roses?

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Also will the United Kingdoms see an equivalent of the English Civil War or Wars of the Roses?

Might just see both at the same time plus a rebellion from the soon to be conquered regions and the neighbors coming in for some payback. Triunes might be riding high now but twenty to thirty years from now maybe not so great.

It honestly still baffles me how an independent kingdom stretching from OTL Mexico to OTL Chile managed to get established and not be part of Europe.

You should read some of the older updates, B444 has already heavily foreshadowed and laid the groundwork for a Triune civil war.

You should read some of the older updates, B444 has already heavily foreshadowed and laid the groundwork for a Triune civil war.

Either way the Triunes WILL be an 800 pound gorilla even with a civil war and if confined to their pre German war borders. I don't see the core territory of France/England /Ireland splitting up.

This is actually the best era for a good Triune civil war. They'll be able to sort out the national divisions before the age of nationalism comes to to say hi.

I don't think we see the age of Nationalism pop off as much as otl. Both the Heamus region and Eastern Europe are pretty settled by the ERE who have the benefit of the Roman umbrella for their citizens, and the HRE which is under Czech rule at the moment, respectively; or a Hungry that is tied to Rome, along Vlachia, and Serbia.

With Rome having the develotion of power to the despotates in Italy, Sicily, and Egypt the impetus for "freeing the people" is muted because of the autonomy granted.

I don't think we see the age of Nationalism pop off as much as otl. Both the Heamus region and Eastern Europe are pretty settled by the ERE who have the benefit of the Roman umbrella for their citizens, and the HRE which is under Czech rule at the moment, respectively; or a Hungry that is tied to Rome, along Vlachia, and Serbia.
Is it really though?
Yeah Bohemia's king is emperor and yes there are Czechs in Bohemia who rule there but that's one small region of a vast state readily ruled by their local ethnic group who have certainly not been displaced by Czech lords. Czechs rule in Bohemia and Germans rule in Germany. That hasn't changed just because the emperor is a Czech, the two kingdoms of Germany and Bohemia are still separate if intrinsically entities, much like the Triune, Spanish, and EAN states.

Is it really though?
Yeah Bohemia's king is emperor and yes there are Czechs in Bohemia who rule there but that's one small region of a vast state readily ruled by their local ethnic group who have certainly not been displaced by Czech lords. Czechs rule in Bohemia and Germans rule in Germany. That hasn't changed just because the emperor is a Czech, the two kingdoms of Germany and Bohemia are still separate if intrinsically entities, much like the Triune, Spanish, and EAN states.
Less doesn’t mean not at all. I honestly can’t imagine a world where the Triunes don’t explode from nationalism. It’s gonna be the powderiest of powder kegs with both the Irish and soon Dutch. Both known revolts and discontent under foreign overlords from OTL. Northern England is also discontent from what I remember. so yeah there will definitely be nationalism there. North Eastern Europe, while currently peaceful, looks like it could be an even bigger mess than otl when nationalism kicks in.

Less doesn’t mean not at all. I honestly can’t imagine a world where the Triunes don’t explode from nationalism. It’s gonna be the powderiest of powder kegs with both the Irish and soon Dutch. Both known revolts and discontent under foreign overlords from OTL. Northern England is also discontent from what I remember. so yeah there will definitely be nationalism there. North Eastern Europe, while currently peaceful, looks like it could be an even bigger mess than otl when nationalism kicks in.

As much as it's unlikely, I do like the idea of the Triunes exploding and being replaced with a sort of Confederation of Europe that is essentially independent states but works to apply a joint diplomatic clout. No military union, not even economic, but essentially a diplomatic union/military alliance to provide a counter to the Romans and Russians.

Maybe it's even a result of the Civilisationism of this timeline. They are unified as a civilisation (Europe/Latins/Northern/Whatever) but are still separate nations.

The word 'less' did not come up at all in my post nor in the one I quoted. I don't know what you're referring to there.

I didn't mention anything about the Triunes, that's not what I was responding to so and I even bolded the part that I was. I'm not sure why you addressed something unrelated.

Your post confuses me greatly.