An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

A lot to unpack in this update:

1) Gotta go with the crowd here and say this campaign season has been marked by a ludicrous string of bad-luck/poor generalship
-First the Romans ignore all intelligence of an 80,000 person army moving through Serbia. How does this happen? I get confirmation bias but its a good thing Lascaris killed himself because he was looking at getting tonsured and sent to a monastery otherwise for that screw up.
-Second, I don't know if your basing the fall of Skoupoi on an OTL event but that's not generally how routs happen. Its having hope and than having that dashed that leads to lines breaking...not just having hope. I could see the lines breaking if they hear the Roman army coming but than they are delayed by the Southern lines by even an hour but breaking literally as the reinforcements are coming over the bridge and are minutes away seems like its done for the sake of having a partial Roman collapse and letting the allies advance more than being coherent. The fanaticism of the defenders is mentioned earlier in the siege but than that all goes out the window just as deliverance is coming.
-Third, the uniquely Roman quality of high ranking officers dying/being incapacitated continues with both the first and second in command dying this campaign season. Both of them happening during critical maneuvers that undoubtedly affected the ability of the Roman armies to function at least temporarily.

2) All of above considered the HRE is still screwed and Blucher still failed to deliver a strategic victory. He has won a great tactical victory yes but the basic issue remains; Blucher has an army facing an army of near equal size closer to its bases of supply AND he is also trying to besiege a major city at the same time. The HRE will be lucky if 20,000 soldiers from the army return to Germany at the end of the war.
-Looking at the basics with numbers...Both armies at this point number approx 55,000. Both should be able to get resources at a rate of approx 2-3000 a month. The Romans because reinforcements are being sent to multiple theatres and HRE because of the distance.
-However the Romans will get a one-time infusion of about 18000 soldiers in a couple months times (the Russian calvary and current drilling troops.
-In addition Thessaloniki is a city of 170,000 (probably closer to 200k now with refugees) with modern and extensive defenses. Looking at Constantinople as a comparison it is well within the realm that between a garrison and city militia there are upwards of 15000-20000 soldiers in the city though they are only useful as manning walls and cannons.
-Finally Thessaloniki is a freaking port city and the Romans can use offshore naval batteries to supplement the city garrison and bring in reinforcements/supplies. This will prevent even a tight land blockade since the HRE will not be able to set up near the shoreline.
-In short a 55,000 person army is facing a modern city of 20000 troops, a fleet offshore, AND an army of soon to be slightly larger size in hostile terrain with somehow even more precarious supply lines than last year.

3) I have considerable faith in the Roman commanders currently. First the siege of Thessaloniki is being led by possibly the one person more skilled than Vauban in siege warfare and I expect HRE losses to rise rapidly. Also they now have a guy called "The Mad Lyrist" who seems like just the right amount of aggressive to crush the HRE. They also have their "little Megas" and unless he is the red herring of all red herrings Persia is gonna burn in 10-20years.

4) I imagine from an in universe perspective the end result of all this will be to inflame the Roman population. Propaganda will show this as Latins being beat and just lashing out to hurt Rome as much as possible. I expect to see at least one city in Poland/Hungary/HRE wiped out with the ground salted by the time the war ends. There was mention of a raid in force into Austria from Venice and a 15000 man army with surprise could absolutely destroy a city. It won't be like Pest in the Mohacs war with its unrestrained orgy of violence or even Venice during the reign of Andreas. Instead it will be cold and methodical and at the end there will be nothing left standing. The Greek of the crusades will be put to rest permanently. Far from the Feminine Greeks of the Crusades with their focus of Gold and Silk Germans in the future will remember the Greeks of Vienna who destroyed a city block by block killing everything down to rats and burning everything but the foundations and did it all with cold ruthless efficiency.

TLDR: Romans screwed up by the numbers but their advantages at this point are so overwhelming that it doesn't matter and they may have just died their way into an extremely competent command team. Latin world is gonna learn first hand what a Carthaginian Peace is before war is over.

[Update Removed-Edited version (plus responses not covered) will be posted at some point.]

New post will be updated by the end of the month and the link in Patreon will be corrected once new update/post is available.

[Update Removed-Edited version (plus responses not covered) will be posted at some point.]

New post will be updated by the end of the month and the link in Patreon will be corrected once new update/post is available.

Enjoy the trip. Don't worry about us - we'll be here when you get back. Have a fun time abroad!

What happened? I’m late to the party. Kicking myself for missing out on an update.

Briefly here's what you missed:

- Michael Lascaris (and his boss the Megas Domestikos who's name I forgot) thought Blucher was gonna play defense around Vidin/Belgrade. D3 thought Blucher was going to attack Macedonia. D3 tried to convince the other two he was right but didn't order them or anything and the two generals didn't listen to him because they're generals and he's not. The generals, in a classic case of confirmation bias, ignored the intelligence that said Blucher was moving his army south because it didn't fit their worldview.

- While Lascaris was setting up siege lines around Vidin Blucher and his ~80,000 man army slipped through Serbia and attacked Skopje. They broke through the walls and invaded the northern part of the town (it is divided by a river). The garrison/townsfolk fought them off literally tooth and nail for three days after the walls were breached. The fighting was the very worst of urban warfare - think Stalingrad only in the 17th Century.

- Lascaris, ditching his heavy artillery for speed, made it to Skopje and decided rather than pitching into the fortified rear of the Allied army he would go around and reinforce Skopje from the south. During the forced march from Vidin to Skopje Lascaris fell off his horse and started coughing blood. He relinquished control to a second-in-command but stuck with the army as a sort of adviser.

- The sight of Roman troops caused the heretofore steadfast civilians of Skopje to break because Reasons. The city turned into a slaughterhouse, especially the one bridge connecting the two halves. The Roman army withdrew with ~40,000 civilians in tow. After this part of the battle Lascaris, half-dead at this point from his fall, allowed himself to be captured and killed himself and von Mackensen when the latter came to take his surrender.

- There was a running 12-day battle through the mountains south of Skopje on the way to Thessaloniki. It was a bloodbath all around. The Romans, despite being tactically outflanked and fighting against Allied mountain troops with few of their own mountain troops managed a decent account of things all things considered. During this battle Odysseus distinguished himself, as did the Archbishop, a Roman strategos called the "Mad Lyrist" because he'd literally sit there and play his lyre to motivate his troops during firefights, and Blucher himself - who despite (probably) dying on his feet managed to get his men through the mountains and to the Macedonian plain. Each army numbers ~55,000 at this point.

- The two armies got out of the mountains but each was beat to hell. The Romans made it to Thessaloniki first, where The Artist Formerly Known As Turgut Reis defected and is leading the Roman garrison. The Roman general leading the army after Lascaris resigned had a nervous breakdown and killed himself due to the shame. The aforementioned "Mad Lyrist" is now the theater commander. He reinforces the Thessaloniki garrison and sends the bulk of his army eastward to guard the road between Thessaloniki and Constantinople. There they drill, rest, and wait for reinforcements which include ~15,000 Pronsky men marching from Russia.

- During the time after the two armies emerged from the mountains Odysseus wins a smashing victory against an Allied detachment to the west of Thessaloniki. Athena Sideros, D3's daughter, is helping lead the Thessaloniki garrison as sort of an unofficial second-in-command to TAFKA Turgut Reis. The siege itself starts in early June. That's where the update ended.

Last edited:
I didn't realize B444 had taken the update down. I quite liked it.

That's a pretty shitty way to spend a vacation.

Yeah, besides the problem of exposed German supply lines the update didn't seem implausible. Roman civilian combatants running away due to the arrival of regulars seems completely plausible, something similar must have happened during OTL. Update was pretty cool besides the supply issue.

Only problem I see is narrative rather then plausibility related (and it concerns the whole story arc and not just this last chapter) - Romans are on path to stomping both Germans and Persians, but had so much bad luck during it that readers (at least me) might get desensitized to it. Like Starks in Got, they've had so much bad things happen to them that you simply stop caring.

Story is cooler if there are real stakes (and strings of bad luck aren't ASB), but sometimes it shouldn't be that hard. This HRE assault on Macedonia screams "disaster", and bad luck hampering Romans seems more like author fiat to raise the stakes then realistic string of events (even though such bad luck isn't anything weird in real history).

Sadly, many OTL events would probably get criticised as ASB/implausible if presented as an alt timeline :)

Yeah, besides the problem of exposed German supply lines the update didn't seem implausible. Roman civilian combatants running away due to the arrival of regulars seems completely plausible, something similar must have happened during OTL. Update was pretty cool besides the supply issue.

Only problem I see is narrative rather then plausibility related (and it concerns the whole story arc and not just this last chapter) - Romans are on path to stomping both Germans and Persians, but had so much bad luck during it that readers (at least me) might get desensitized to it. Like Starks in Got, they've had so much bad things happen to them that you simply stop caring.

Story is cooler if there are real stakes (and strings of bad luck aren't ASB), but sometimes it shouldn't be that hard. This HRE assault on Macedonia screams "disaster", and bad luck hampering Romans seems more like author fiat to raise the stakes then realistic string of events (even though such bad luck isn't anything weird in real history).

Sadly, many OTL events would probably get criticised as ASB/implausible if presented as an alt timeline :)

Don’t disagree at all. I think my issue stems from just the incredible string of bad luck that has been used. It’s not impossible but it is starting to feel like there is a set way for the story to go rather than flowing.

You could get the same general flavour without the bad luck as well. Have Lascaris recalled by D3 for his massive intelligence failure and instead choose a useful suicide rather than face the emperor. Have the breaking of Skoupoi happen just as the Romans are breaking through in south and with those 2 simple changes it goes from “holy crap Rome has shit luck again” to Lascaris screwed up and is causing this war to go an extra campaign season but chose the “easy” way out.

This keeps the tenor and flavour of the update without having to once again go to low probability things happen to Rome to help their enemies well.

Still love the timeline and story though. Wouldn’t take the time to parse through it if I didn’t

The citizens collapsing on the barricades did not seem that plausible to me. Their mindset was set on fighting to the death, now the bulk of them decide when salvation arrives to run away after days of fighting? Stressed beyond what one expects they could survive but still fighting. We are talking of survivors of vicious fighting collapsing as a whole because salvation has arrived. Holding their ground has been their purpose and soul of the resistance, then okay let us all run.

I think the problem is more that Roman bureaucracy, management, organization and such are all frankly ridiculously good and to 'compensate' they keep making military blunder after military blunder. Think the story would be better off if those weren't so ahead of their enemies then you wouldn't need all those blunders for the same given result and things would feel more natural.

I wouldn't discount the chance that the first people who started crossing the bridge weren't the defenders at the barricades, but the ones immediately behind the front lines, who I can absolutely imagine heading straight for the relative safety of the Roman army. And then it's just the horror of pre-modern urban warfare descending into a comedy of horrors as women, children and the infirm get plowed into by artillery, their loved ones at the barricades shatter, the defenses collapse behind them and that's just more meat for the grinder.

Another question would be why was there so many civilians still in the Northern part of the city, why had they not passed over with their valuables well before this over the bridge? Their menfolk can fight, food and other goods can be brought over, I would want to see my own over the bridge to a safer place.

Another question would be why was there so many civilians still in the Northern part of the city, why had they not passed over with their valuables well before this over the bridge? Their menfolk can fight, food and other goods can be brought over, I would want to see my own over the bridge to a safer place.
The Bridge is noted as a chokepoint too. It should've been turned into a killing field by the local militia.

The Bridge is noted as a chokepoint too. It should've been turned into a killing field by the local militia.

Its a chokepoint with an old fortress overlooking it. That was explained pretty well in story. As soon as the fortress falls holding the bridge is untenable since the fortress can do plunging fire onto the bridge/far shoreline.

I'd be fine with that if they saw a Roman army column get turned to paste. That'd break their spirit for sure.

When the militia and civilians see their army arriving, some civilians may start running away some may not but Roman army arriving as reinforcements should not start a mass panic to leave the city. It also tells us that local leadership isnt as organize nor in control for Roman standards, rather than letting the Roman army come in then civilians can come out later or vice versa.

But I do not see the local militia running when they see Roman army reinforcements arriving. Thus, there will be still some kind of defense happening while the clogging between panicked civilians and Roman army is happening.

But it is too convenient that Michael Laskaris went from ultra careful to immensely incompetent in this story. It is like he is a totally different person.

His preview battles where he always went behind the Allied army, avoiding full scale battle and start chipping away allied forces, this was from behind. Never did Michael Laskaris in all of his battles decide to enter any city at the other side to help in the defense. The army of the west and its general rarely cared about the city and more about creating a lot of casualties for the Allied Army.

Now, if this was the same person as the those battles in Moesia/Bulgaria, Army of the west would have engaged from behind Blucher as well. But it wont be a full engagement unless he feels he totally outnumbers Blucher.

All I can say is Michael Laskaris went out of character.

I think the problem is more that Roman bureaucracy, management, organization and such are all frankly ridiculously good and to 'compensate' they keep making military blunder after military blunder. Think the story would be better off if those weren't so ahead of their enemies then you wouldn't need all those blunders for the same given result and things would feel more natural.

I think you may be on to something here. One of the themes the author has touched on numerous times is the need for balance between gold and iron and how Rhomania has veered throughout its history from one side to the other.

In universe this war as of now sort of proves the Latin point that Rhomania is all "gold" (full of bureaucrats, priests, and money) and no "iron" (martial valor/success). I can easily see historians with a Latin bent saying stuff like "well, the only reason Rhomania won was because they were able to field two 90,000 man armies, plus more men in Italy and Mesopotamia. On the field of battle itself however the Rhomans were sorely lacking in leadership, see all the battles Marshall Blucher won" or something like that. Again, we as timeline readers know that's not the entire story, I'm saying that's what a ITTL 1900 German historian might say.

D3 wanted to put to bed once and for all the myth that Rhomans were soft bureaucrats who only won due to "Greek perfidy" because it was only that way that a Second War Of The Roman Succession would be avoided a generation or two down the road. Unless he salts Vienna as someone upthread suggested that myth will probably outlive this war due to the Rhoman military actions.

I think you may be on to something here. One of the themes the author has touched on numerous times is the need for balance between gold and iron and how Rhomania has veered throughout its history from one side to the other.

In universe this war as of now sort of proves the Latin point that Rhomania is all "gold" (full of bureaucrats, priests, and money) and no "iron" (martial valor/success). I can easily see historians with a Latin bent saying stuff like "well, the only reason Rhomania won was because they were able to field two 90,000 man armies, plus more men in Italy and Mesopotamia. On the field of battle itself however the Rhomans were sorely lacking in leadership, see all the battles Marshall Blucher won" or something like that. Again, we as timeline readers know that's not the entire story, I'm saying that's what a ITTL 1900 German historian might say.

D3 wanted to put to bed once and for all the myth that Rhomans were soft bureaucrats who only won due to "Greek perfidy" because it was only that way that a Second War Of The Roman Succession would be avoided a generation or two down the road. Unless he salts Vienna as someone upthread suggested that myth will probably outlive this war due to the Rhoman military actions.

That was me who said to salt Vienna for the record. It’s something I totally see happening before this war ends. Maybe not Vienna but somewhere in “Latin Europe” is going to be razed and salted before this war ends.

For the record by 1900 any serious historian is going to see Rome in a very different light than “present day”. This thought of Gold or Iron Rome will fade away into a more nuanced historiography that will show that Rhomania ebbs and flows through history but endures sometimes by force of arms and sometimes by advanced bureaucratic structure.

But that is part of the charm. Rome is the vestigial empire, often surrounded by bigger enemies but able to prevail through better organisation.

I wouldn't like for them to simply become just random big state.