America's Greatest Comics ( formerly Fawcett comics survive)

PSX_20230509_173030.jpg

In August 20th 1951 National comics periodicals dropped its lawsuit against Fawcett comics publications. A blip on the radar for world at large but many Wonder how things might have change had DC comics won? Would Fawcett cease the publications of their beloved Marvel family? Would DC take down the company and go after the likes of Atlas and hold a monopoly of the comic industry until the government would get involved?
but this is a history of the American comics industry

Oh my........

This is interesting. Will this cover other things like movies and animation?

Cause if so, then I got some ideas.
My next post will be about movie serials so yes
I will hear your ideas but I am in charge of the TL and have the right to say no if it affects what I have planned (there's stuff from my original Fawcett comics survive TL I want to keep)

Last edited:
I remember reading the original Fawcett Comics Survives, so I’m glad to see this return!

Will you still be doing your timeline on if Batman ‘66 continued after season 3?

Super Serials
Media Adaptations have been the lifeblood of the comic industry since the days of Radio and by the late 40s movie serials comics dominated the Superhero landscape with Columbia pictures work with DC creating the serials Batman, Superman, The Vigilante,  and Batman & Robin while Republic pictures had success with Fawcett comics creating Adventures of Captain Marvel  and SpySmasher.
However by 1950 the Superhero genre was starting fall, Columbia's sequel to Superman had hit a snag Columbia wanted to have Superman fight the villains Atom man and Luthor however with World War 2 being over for five years at this point using a Nazi villain seemed dated and rewrites ment delaying production.
Meanwhile Republic had a small fallout with Fawcett in 47 as they turned their Mr. Scarlet serial into a Captain America serial for Timely comics as they felt insulted about making a serial for a character who became a backup story for Mary Marvel. Bulletman was another matter, Bulletman had his own comic however with the lawsuit starting in May of 51 DC ordered a cease and desist order to Republic, feeling salty as DC originally went to them for a Superman serial but left for Paramount when the flying effects were not available at the time (leading them to do Captain Marvel in the first place and looked for loopholes.
The order was ONLY to not make a Captain Marvel or SpySmasher serial. Fawcett happy for some legal aid agreed to allow any changes to Bulletman the serial needed
PSX_20230501_175116.jpg

I remember reading the original Fawcett Comics Survives, so I’m glad to see this return!

Will you still be doing your timeline on if Batman ‘66 continued after season 3?
I plan this as kind of merger of Fawcett comics survive & New Bat Time New Bat Channel if that's what you are asking

YES! So great to have this back! This is one of my favorite comic au's on this site. Here's a list of thing that I liked about the last version that I wish would stay in this one.

Minuteman being a American doctor who
Steve ditko Charlton and dc characters being apart of fawcett's universe
Saving jack cole's life by hiring him and his redesigns of bulletman and bulletgirl
making mr. Scarlet an amalgamation of daredevil and blue beetle
Elvis getting his own comic
The inclusion of the legion of superheroes, brainiac, titano and the super pets into the marvel mythos
Spy Smasher leading the thunder agents
The importation of comics to Japan and their adaptations

Things I didn't like or was just confused me were the strange acquisitions. It felt weird that characters from ace comics (a company that I never heard of till I read this) replaced a majority of the original legion. I got introduced to the legion from their cartoon in the 2000s and I was a big fan, seeing most of the cast gone for other more obscure guys who I never saw before was not for me. Characters from magazine enterprises like funny an seemed fo have disappeared after a while. Also your use of threads was confusing. First time around reading it I kept think I was missing some things all the time. Like where did moongirl come from? I Don't remember a golden age heroine by that name. Was she an oc you made for this? And when exactly did fawcett aquire nebor comics? It seems like that happend on the fly.

Thing I would like to see in this thread

Bring brainiac 5 back. theth 2 was okay cause he had that brooding baby boy look but he didn't have to replace brainy. I liked him. He was favorite character in the legions cartoon. Why replace him when you can have both of them try to compete for Mary's affections? Like the cyclops-jean grey-wolverine love triangle.

Aquire some of the Canadian whites super heroes. The uk wasn't the only place the captain was popular in besides the states, he, commando yank, bulletman, and spy smasher were also licensed to anglo-american publishing. Sense the WECA prevented the actual comics from being imported, Anglo-American took the scripts and had local artists illustrate them instead while adding Canadian touches their costumes. So why not aquire some old Canadian superheroes like brok Windsor, freelance, nelvana and Johnny canuck to form a psuedo alpha flight and get fawcett an fanbase up north?

A television cartoon crossover movie by filmation between captain marvel and he man. I feel this is self explanatory. Also instead of hasbro, have mattel make toys for fawsett heroes.

Have fawcett aquire tmnt. You always talked about how fawcett was urban fantasy in the last version, well tmnt would be perfect for that.

The Bulletman returns
Given the go ahead to go car blanc on the serial writer Ronald Davidson decided to take the character in a more Scifi direction, with aliens, jetpacks and outer space locations. Fred C. Brandon who had made a name for himself adapting science fiction for movies was brought on board. One stroke of luck was with Superman's second serial getting delayed Brandon offered the lead role to Superman Star Kirk Alyn for the lead role delaying Superman further.
The serial was released in Summer of 1952

Chapter titles​

1. "Moon Rocket" (20 min)
  2. "Molten Terror" (13min 20s)
  3. "Bridge of Death" (13min 20s)
  4. "Flight to Destruction" (13min 20s)
  5. "Murder Car" (13min 20s)
  6. "Hills of Death" (13min 20s)
  7. "Camouflaged Destruction" (13min 20s)
  8. "The Enemy Planet" (13min 20s)
  9. "Battle in the Stratosphere" (13min 20s)
  10. "Mass Execution" (13min 20s) - a re-cap chapter
  11. "Planned Pursuit" (13min 20s)
  12. "Death of the Moon Man" (13min 20s)

Cast​

PSX_20230712_093846.jpg

Jim Parker was not entirely happy with the charges being being made but in desperate circumstances he allowed it, more importantly he saw it as an opportunity to relaunch the Bulletman comics and try to incorporate the serials changes.
John Smalle returned to his creation for art for the first year while Otto Binder would be brought on to write for its new scifi approach to the character.

YES! So great to have this back! This is one of my favorite comic au's on this site. Here's a list of thing that I liked about the last version that I wish would stay in this one.

Minuteman being a American doctor who
Steve ditko Charlton and dc characters being apart of fawcett's universe
Saving jack cole's life by hiring him and his redesigns of bulletman and bulletgirl
making mr. Scarlet an amalgamation of daredevil and blue beetle
Elvis getting his own comic
The inclusion of the legion of superheroes, brainiac, titano and the super pets into the marvel mythos
Spy Smasher leading the thunder agents
The importation of comics to Japan and their adaptations

Things I didn't like or was just confused me were the strange acquisitions. It felt weird that characters from ace comics (a company that I never heard of till I read this) replaced a majority of the original legion. I got introduced to the legion from their cartoon in the 2000s and I was a big fan, seeing most of the cast gone for other more obscure guys who I never saw before was not for me. Characters from magazine enterprises like funny an seemed fo have disappeared after a while. Also your use of threads was confusing. First time around reading it I kept think I was missing some things all the time. Like where did moongirl come from? I Don't remember a golden age heroine by that name. Was she an oc you made for this? And when exactly did fawcett aquire nebor comics? It seems like that happend on the fly.

Thing I would like to see in this thread

Bring brainiac 5 back. theth 2 was okay cause he had that brooding baby boy look but he didn't have to replace brainy. I liked him. He was favorite character in the legions cartoon. Why replace him when you can have both of them try to compete for Mary's affections? Like the cyclops-jean grey-wolverine love triangle.

Aquire some of the Canadian whites super heroes. The uk wasn't the only place the captain was popular in besides the states, he, commando yank, bulletman, and spy smasher were also licensed to anglo-american publishing. Sense the WECA prevented the actual comics from being imported, Anglo-American took the scripts and had local artists illustrate them instead while adding Canadian touches their costumes. So why not aquire some old Canadian superheroes like brok Windsor, freelance, nelvana and Johnny canuck to form a psuedo alpha flight and get fawcett an fanbase up north?

A television cartoon crossover movie by filmation between captain marvel and he man. I feel this is self explanatory. Also instead of hasbro, have mattel make toys for fawsett heroes.

Have fawcett aquire tmnt. You always talked about how fawcett was urban fantasy in the last version, well tmnt would be perfect for that.
Well my plans for changes
  • Minuteman will go unchanged however because Bulletman is going in a Space opera direction as well I'm putting Jack Cole on Minuteman and Frank Frazetta on Bulletman
  • I'm thinking Legion of Superheroes will just be the name of the Fawcett equivalent of the Justice League/Avengers (if they exist ITTL) with Cosmic boy, Lightning boy & Saturn girl appears as side characters in various places
  • Anglo American comic characters will find their place in the Fawcett universe as a thank you to the Canadian company for helping them during WW2
  • DC will loose their big break in starting the Silverage
  • Ditko will have some of his characters brought to Fawcett but sadly Ted Cord wouldn't be one of them as I have an alternate path for Mr. Scarlet
More to come

Well my plans for changes
  • Minuteman will go unchanged however because Bulletman is going in a Space opera direction as well I'm putting Jack Cole on Minuteman and Frank Frazetta on Bulletman
  • I'm thinking Legion of Superheroes will just be the name of the Fawcett equivalent of the Justice League/Avengers (if they exist ITTL) with Cosmic boy, Lightning boy & Saturn girl appears as side characters in various places
  • Anglo American comic characters will find their place in the Fawcett universe as a thank you to the Canadian company for helping them during WW2
  • DC will loose their big break in starting the Silverage
  • Ditko will have some of his characters brought to Fawcett but sadly Ted Cord wouldn't be one of them as I have an alternate path for Mr. Scarlet
More to come
Like the bronze age bulletman based Off nova from the original fawcett comics survives, Okay. I kinda preferred the silver age Bulletman and bulletgirl though, they looked like a cross between the flash and Ironman too me.

I thought the squadron of justice was the Fawcett equivalent of the Justice League/Avengers.

I thought the squadron of justice was the Fawcett equivalent of the Justice League/Avengers.
IOTL the Squadron of Justice was the name given to the Lieutenant Marvels but in 1976 DC used the name when they wanted to announce that yes they do have the rights to ALL of the Fawcett characters and that Earth has its own Justice League

I'll be honest, I also preferred the Speedster/Nova-inspired Bulletman and Bulletgirl, but I'm definitely interested to see where you take them in this new sci-fi direction.

Hey I have a minor idea for hoppy the marvel bunny or thunderbunny as he was called when Charlton aquired him. When the 80's come around what if your hired Roy Thomas and he makes it that he comes from the same world as tawky tawny and Howard the duck and that he's the leader of the Amazing zoo crew.

Scifi comics
Mystery_in_Space_1_1951.jpg

Science fiction comics was a natural outlet for comic books and before Bulletman started going in it's new direction DC comics launched their new series in May for the Space age Mystery in Space an anthology series that would bring in new recurring characters.
  • Knights of the Galaxy
  • Captain Comet
  • Space Cabbie
  • Adam Strange
  • Space Ranger
  • Martian Manhunter (after his introduction in Detective comics)
Became staples of the series along with short Scifi stories from the likes of Harlin Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Gardner Fox, Isaac Asamov, Otto Binder, & Stanley Lieber

Welcome to Fawcett Frank
With DC proving a good fight in the Science fiction game Parker realized he needed to bump up his game to keep sales for Bulletman long after the serial ends ,Jim hired Fantasy/Scifi artist Frank Frazetta to replace Jim Smalles
PSX_20230713_163556.jpg

[Lithograph of Bulletman and Bulletgirl by Frank Frazetta in 1963 ]
Frank signed a three year contract with Fawcett which included covers for Fawcett Publications book line.
Frank also got Fawcett to green light his original project Thun'da: King of the Congo thus replacing Nyoka The Jungle girl title to Jungle comics
PSX_20230714_115159.jpg

Super pilot
With the second serial for Superman seemly dead in the water DC editor Whitney Ellsworth went to Robert Maxwell the producer of the Superman Radio series about the possibility of a revival, Maxwell informed Whitney that Radio and serials were dead and that the future is television.
Maxwell and Ellsworth wrote a script and sent it to Barney A Sarecky at Lippert pictures for a pilot movie under the sodium Richard Fielding(rumors that elements from the canceled serial persisted to this day)
PSX_20230713_213546.jpg

The story filmed in 12 days revolved around Clark Kent (George Reeves) and Lois Lane (Phyllis Coates) going to a small town that has reportedly been terrorized by monsters from an abandoned coal mine nearby, Superman learns that the mine didn't have coal but uranium and that the monsters were underground natives manipulated by Lex Luthor (Lyle Tabolt) so that he could steal their uranium.
The film was released in select theaters on November 23, 1951