America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

Curious when you get to 88 as to who the Republicans eventually pick. One thing they'll try to do, redeem themselves from Reagan's blunders.

Well, we’ll see what happens, but well, got bigger plans. Changes are a-coming. Any pop culture questions or so on y’all want to know?

I mean we know kids of the time will grow up with Transformers focused on the Dinobots, cosmic He-Man, and so on and so forth. Henson’s still got his influence in Disney though perhaps not as gung-ho as he is in @Geekhis Khan ‘s time line.

to those alive at the time, what would y’all be doing ? :)

Well, we’ll see what happens, but well, got bigger plans. Changes are a-coming. Any pop culture questions or so on y’all want to know?

I mean we know kids of the time will grow up with Transformers focused on the Dinobots, cosmic He-Man, and so on and so forth. Henson’s still got his influence in Disney though perhaps not as gung-ho as he is in @Geekhis Khan ‘s time line.

So, basically, the focus of the toons are less about toy sales and more about the story itself? I'm cool with that. It'd give 80s toons a better rep overall.

Actually, I'm not sure why but I'm almost expecting a libertarian figure to win the 88 elections or something. Just because it would change the 90s drastically.

So, basically, the focus of the toons are less about toy sales and more about the story itself? I'm cool with that. It'd give 80s toons a better rep overall.

Actually, I'm not sure why but I'm almost expecting a libertarian figure to win the 88 elections or something. Just because it would change the 90s drastically.
Yup. The deregulations were short-lived so they had to find ways to deal withif. Some was other ways of merchandising and some were pretty educational leaning; MLP Gen 1 here was that, though it wasn’t a boring educational, more like a filled with fun facts sort of thing.

i know that the junk food and other stuff would also be less prominent for that and other reasons.

Article here explains what happened OTL and what was averted ITTL

I'd still be into D&D. I presume that the Dark Crystal tie-in is a prequel to the film, but I honestly don't know enough about MLP to know if I'd play that version. As long as TSR's Marvel Super Heroes game is still around, I'd be fine. :)
Did Jim Henson's association with D&D lessen or halt the "Satanic Panic"? While Dark Crystal doesn't fit in with his usual Muppets fare, people would trust Henson not to affiliate himself with something dangerous to kids.

Certainly that version of me would be into Mechasaurs. Perhaps the (IOTL) G.I. Joe episode "Worlds Without End" could end up as a Mechasaurs script; it's not glorifying combat, but makes the point that evil needs to be confronted.

I'd still be into D&D. I presume that the Dark Crystal tie-in is a prequel to the film, but I honestly don't know enough about MLP to know if I'd play that version. As long as TSR's Marvel Super Heroes game is still around, I'd be fine. :)
Did Jim Henson's association with D&D lessen or halt the "Satanic Panic"? While Dark Crystal doesn't fit in with his usual Muppets fare, people would trust Henson not to affiliate himself with something dangerous to kids.

Certainly that version of me would be into Mechasaurs. Perhaps the (IOTL) G.I. Joe episode "Worlds Without End" could end up as a Mechasaurs script; it's not glorifying combat, but makes the point that evil needs to be confronted.
Probably yeah for the Dark Crystal and TSR’s Marvel. Let’s say TSR is benefitting a good bit from their collabs with Disney and Has do :)

MLP Gen 1 has its own quirks and monsters OTL and would be here: Demon centaur Tirek. Necromancer ram ruling over cursed city Grogar. Lava monster turned crystal monster Lavan. The cloud monster Erebus who gains stronger eating shadows. The eldritch abomination in the Smooze. And so on. Gen 1 had its fair share of fantasy monsters so I imagine it’d be one that would be fascinating to play and perhaps involve more role playing or trickery in combat.

“Satanic Panic” is a lot less present because the so-called Moral Majority got discredited with Reagan’s follies and the shift toward the economy. D&D being occultic still got it spread, but it didn’t get a bad rep. Probably just one of being a bit confusing and not beginner friendly (barring Dark Crystal and MLP, who like simplified their rules a fair bit).

yeah, Mechasaurs having to face the aliens who created them after hiding on Earth. Still would have “freedom is the right of all sentient beings” said, though here by Nobilis Rex (who’s basically like t-Rex Optimus Prime).

Last edited:
Yup. The deregulations were short-lived so they had to find ways to deal withif. Some was other ways of merchandising and some were pretty educational leaning; MLP Gen 1 here was that, though it wasn’t a boring educational, more like a filled with fun facts sort of thing.

i know that the junk food and other stuff would also be less prominent for that and other reasons.

Article here explains what happened OTL and what was averted ITTL
Great article very insightful and interesting!

Yeah, he doesn’t have a chance. XD. He’s likely out of office by now.
and it's gotten boring after a while to see him become president in seemingly every other TL these days

do the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still exist?

The sad truth is that without Reagan's deregulations, the turtles as we know them probably couldn't exist. If they ever do become part of animation, it'll most likely be as an adult cartoon. If a Ron Paul type figure gets elected in 1988, then we could see something akin to them in the 90s.

Vice President Askew is probably the front runner for the 88 Democratic nomination but I believe there will be some type of Blue Dog Democrat that will try to challenge him.

and it's gotten boring after a while to see him become president in seemingly every other TL these days

The sad truth is that without Reagan's deregulations, the turtles as we know them probably couldn't exist. If they ever do become part of animation, it'll most likely be as an adult cartoon. If a Ron Paul type figure gets elected in 1988, then we could see something akin to them in the 90s.
Yes, the TMNT still do exist given they started out as a comic in 1984.

They would still likely become a cartoon as the idea is quite fascinating in it of itself though not at the same time as OTL.

and why do people keep mentioning a Libretarian type candidate?