America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

I will express my skepticism, that wind and solar will overtake nuclear because of their intermittency, though that is not to downplay the contribution they can make. Hopefully, the Udall or future administrations will address some of the problems with with these sources. A cursory google showed me that solar panels contain elements like cadmium and arsenic, which would be challenging to deal with once they come to the end of their useful lives. Similarly, wind turbine blades are non-recyclable in present day OTL so that is another challenge. Again, not saying that they shouldn't.

In regards to nuclear energy, I mentioned molten salt reactors as an alternative. The US might want to look into thorium, which can be (theoretically) be used to "breed" uranium-233. An isotope that is slightly more fissile than uranium-235 and the sources I looked at stated that the waste products have shorter half-lives. Will the Udall Administration be looking into more funding for nuclear fusion research? The problem with fusion is that it the reactions produce on Earth take in more energy than they give out, and we still haven't reached the ignition point. It's likely that TTL wouldn't see any quick results...

...oh crap, I just remembered Chernobyl. o_O Methinks we can't avoid that because of the shoddy design.

I’m happy to have you post here, especially since you are a bit of an influence for this timeline.

Yeah, those issues with solar panels and wind turbines will be brought up in discussions over time. One aspect is that a sooner emphasis on renewables also means the competition means having to address the problems and looking for solutions that would work. So while solar and wind will still be looked at, it’ll be one of those things to where it may take a bit to lift off, but someone may come up with some clever solutions down the line, like how we have algae solar panels.

They may look into thorium salt stuff, but will stick with what they have so far. Most experimental will be working with the Japanese, so we’ll get the first Gen III reactor a couple years sooner. Thorium salt will be looked into once more now though I imagine it won’t be until early 2000s anything may come of it. I’m not a nuclear expert though.

Never say never...

And yeah, been excited about the rail thing for a while. Was helped out by my brother in law for this. It seemed like just at the right time for it.

I honestly don't really know much about prominent politicians during the 80s but I would definitely suggest Frank Church be a part of the administration in some way. Unfortunately in our timeline he died in 1984 from a pancreatic tumor so he'd have to be replaced. Such an underrated politician

I honestly don't really know much about prominent politicians during the 80s but I would definitely suggest Frank Church be a part of the administration in some way. Unfortunately in our timeline he died in 1984 from a pancreatic tumor so he'd have to be replaced. Such an underrated politician
Yeah, he’s pretty cool from what I saw

@Mynock, do you have any suggestions for an Udall administration?
Could fit Muskie in there in some form, he was on his way out of the Senate I'd say. Cyrus Vance could be good at State, he worked for Carter OTL. I'm not really an expert to be honest. Maybe some moderate governors like Carter or Askew could be picked out. ATL US cabinets are quite difficult IMO.

Could fit Muskie in there in some form, he was on his way out of the Senate I'd say. Cyrus Vance could be good at State, he worked for Carter OTL. I'm not really an expert to be honest. Maybe some moderate governors like Carter or Askew could be picked out. ATL US cabinets are quite difficult IMO.
Askew's VP and if I recall correctly, Carter is Secretary of State.

Hmm, for Udall's CIA Director, or National Security Adviser, the Polish-American who served as National Security Adviser under Carter OTL.