American King

I will hate you forever if he doesn't live till AT LEAST 1890!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Haha, lol. I don't know about that. :D

CHAPTER XXV
The War Ends
images

Eventually, French troops started appearing in Scotland. Irish troops burned out the towns of old rivals. Victoria was panicking. Under her rule, England might crumble. She had to ask for peace. No, she had to beg for peace.

When Louis caught wind of her faltering, he decided to press the attack and humiliate the English for all time. Thousands upon thousands invaded from every coast on October 31st, 1874. White-coated French troops paraded in the streets of Welsh towns. At last, a large Franco-Irish force surrounded London. Victoria declared unconditional surrender. With the French Royal Anthem playing the Dauphin marched his troops into Buckingham Palace and all the other government buildings. Parliament was dismissed by armed Irishmen. The ports were filled with French steamships which scuttled the English fleet anchored in the Thames without a shot of resistance. Things were about to get ugly.

America was already in the phase known as "Reconstruction." Alexander was purging the Royalists and setting up new governors. Open Royalist citizens lost their rights to vote and hold office, as did Royalist soldiers. King Andrew was exiled to Russia, where he was to live out the rest of his life among Moscow's elite. Peace was soon made between France and Alexander, and even with Germany and Prussia. The monarchs "wanted to be gentlemen."

And they all wanted to cut up Britain's colonies.

France immediately called for the Congress of Moscow to discuss what to do with the supreme losers. Prussia and Germany paid for damages done and agreed to cut taxes on trade with France. Then, they cut up Africa, South Asia, and China. Japan also was present and formed the Franco-Japanese-American Entente, better known, and easier to say, as the League of Three Monarchs, agreeing to help each other out in times of need and to trade much more often with each other. Britain was shut out of China completely, Victoria's holdings in Africa were cut down, and the Congo was awarded to Alexander. While he was at it, Alexander also grabbed up all of the Indochina peninsula, stealing it from Britain, except for a sliver of the west coast, which belonged to France. The Italian countries also got in on the fun, getting their own little trading colonies on the Chinese coast. Austria furthered its influence by making the League of Three Monarchs the League of Monarchs. This new international organization deliberately blocked Britain from joining. The Italian monarchs, minus the Pope, soon joined, as did the Kaiser of Germany and the King of Prussia. Russia was given the offer but bluntly refused. It took half of Mongolia and said it was content.

Austria beat the Ottomans up terribly in treaty, taking everything west of Istanbul and North of Greece. Greece had been revolting against Ottoman rule for decades, but no international help was received. Now, it overthrew the Turks, rejected Austrian intervention, and plunged into violence and genocide. Catholics clashed with Orthodox in bloody street battles involving dirt poor Greeks with knives and revolvers. Finally, six months later, in its first act of unity, the League of Monarchs sent in an international force to establish order. It was less an attempt to help their fellow man and more of an attempt to test their joint military strength. Athens was immediately captured and a new government was formed under strongman Adelphos Demetriou, who set himself up as a monarch type figure. Greece remained a hellhole for the next few decades.

France strongly moved in on British Pacific and Indian Ocean territory. The western and north-western coasts of Australia were taken away and formed into the new royal colony of French West Australia, or Française Ouest de l'Australie. Madagascar was finally completely under French rule. Seeing Victoria's weakness, the other countries piled on the bandwagon to tear Britain to pieces. At last, the final British boundaries were set. Ireland was permanently part of France and Britain had lost a huge amount of its former empire. Britain was now a second-rate country and could be considered on equal footing with Norway or Denmark. However, Britain's problems had only just begun.

France and the URAS immediately worked together to draw up terms to keep the British under control. It was agreed that "the Kingdom of Great Britain shall not have more than 100,000 soldiers at any given time." Other restrictions followed, including turning the English navy into what was little more than a harbor patrol. Further, Britain was to pay billions of dollars in reparations to France and Austria. Britain was essentially driven into the ground head first, deliberately so, in an attempt to prevent it from expanding ever again. It appeared it would work.

Also resolved at Moscow was the USLA Civil War. Latin America broke again. The various states pulled out and began a long history of rivalry. Now, Mexico sat on the URAS's border, just waiting for someone with enough troops, brains, and money to seize it. That someone would arrive in the 1890's in the form of a muscular, mustachioed man with a small pair of glasses and a famous smile.

Map of the world after the Treaty of Moscow and the League of Monarchs' intervention in Greece:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Haha, lol. I don't know about that. :D[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

hahaha, that's funny, you think I'm kidding :rolleyes:

Wow, a United Nations 70 years early. That's a BIG deal. And Theodore motherfucking Roosevelt in Mexico!?!?!?!!??!?!?! :eek: Well, the Jackson dynasty was fun while it lasted.....:cool:

Yeah, without a coast, I doubt that the Americans can properly manage their newest acquisition.

Simple case of "I forgot to add a coast in the map." :D

Wow, a United Nations 70 years early. That's a BIG deal. And Theodore Roosevelt in Mexico!?!?!?!!??!?!?! :eek: Well, the Jackson dynasty was fun while it lasted.....:cool:

The Jackson Dynasty... I'm still plotting its demise.

It'll be epic. *dramatic music*

Tsao

Banned
Simple case of "I forgot to add a coast in the map." :D

Still, how large would the coastline be? The territory's current position is quite far from the coast, and in order to have one you would have to take quite a chunk out of the Portugese colony there.

Still, how large would the coastline be? The territory's current position is quite far from the coast, and in order to have one you would have to take quite a chunk out of the Portugese colony there.

465px-Map-belgian-congo.jpg

The Belgian Cngo's coast was extremely small. I'll probably use the same sizes.

Here's the new map:

Problem solved. Thanks for pointing that out guys! :D

Working on new chaptahs.

The African borders look really unlikely and also quite unsightly, espeically the Spanish and Prussian borders in west Africa. Any reason why they are that way? Also, that straight line up Sudan doesn't seem like a defensible border in the least and I don't think whatever Britain it is would split Sudan that way.

Don't make Australia French. Please.

*pleading look*

PLEASE!!!!!

I don't want to be French (regardless of the significant amount of French blood i have flowing through my veins i am quite happy being british.)

The African borders look really unlikely and also quite unsightly, espeically the Spanish and Prussian borders in west Africa. Any reason why they are that way? Also, that straight line up Sudan doesn't seem like a defensible border in the least and I don't think whatever Britain it is would split Sudan that way.

Would you care to help me make it better? My knowledge of Africa isn't huge, so I could use your help. Feel free to edit what you pointed out and run it up the flagpole to see if it flies with me. :D France has to be dominant over Great Britain, though.

Don't make Australia French. Please.

*pleading look*

PLEASE!!!!!

I don't want to be French (regardless of the significant amount of French blood i have flowing through my veins i am quite happy being british.)

Hahaha, don't worry, I have something planned. ;)

How does this look? I tried not to change too much but I gave all of the Sudan to France and Ethiopia as well. Also I cleaned up the Japanese Manchuria borders. They didn't seem to be workable from your map.

American King.png

That face isn't exactly what I'd call comforting.....

*maniacal laughter* Almost done. It'll be up soon. I surf the web while I'm thinking about what to write, so it takes me a long time. :eek:

How does this look? I tried not to change too much but I gave all of the Sudan to France and Ethiopia as well. Also I cleaned up the Japanese Manchuria borders. They didn't seem to be workable from your map.

Thanks a lot, man! That looks waaay better. Definitely makes France look like overlord of Africa instead sharing it with Britain.

CHAPTER XXVI
Nova Roma Part 1:
Fascism Ascensionis

334px-Papal_Zouave.jpg

Pontifical Zouave circa the beginning of the Great Italian War

Warfare had not changed much at all since Frederick the Great. It would have even been largely recognizable to Marlborough or Churchill. That was about to change.

The Papal States, Sicily, Sardinia, and Venice had long tried to be the dominant power of the Italian Peninsula. The Holy Roman Empire had kept Venice in line for a very long time. Now, Venice was experiencing its Second Renaissance. The Emperor desired to crush the small Republic of Venice once and for all. In 1890, a message was sent to Pope Leo XIII requesting a "Holy Alliance" to take Venice out of the picture. Leo rejected it, saying he did not want a war at the moment.

220px-LeoXIII1900.jpg

Pope Leo XIII

Now, Franz Joseph, the current Holy Roman Emperor, was beyond furious. He immediately set about plans for getting rid of Leo and replacing him with someone whom he could control. That someone was Cardinal Gebhard Koehler, an Austrian who served under Leo. Imperial spies made contact with him and offered him the opportunity to replace Leo as pope. He accepted. On May 9th, 1891, Leo consumed poisoned turkey and died two days later. Through threats, extortion, and bribery, Koehler was elected pope as Pope Stephen X. He then worked hand-in-glove with the Emperor, which made many distrust him. France was alienated by a German sitting on the Throne of St. Peter. Venice knew what was coming. The other Italian countries soon fell into one of two camps: Sicily, Tuscany, Modena and Reggio, and the Papal satellites of Ragusa and Trent immediately sided with the Pope and Emperor in the Holy Alliance. Venice and Sardinia led Genoa, Lucca, and Parma, along with Venetian Dalmatia, in the League of Italy. There was no open conflict, but a massive arms race was just beginning. Warfare was about to be revolutionized.

The first major change to the Italian armies occurred when American-made machine guns, huge, drum-loaded guns with up to 10 barrels, were imported into Sardinia and the tremendously important small Republic of Lucca. A few months later, Venice also received them and brought them up to the Austrian border, where the primary threat of attack was located. This just upped the ante. Stephen X and Franz Joseph soon had their own machine guns, British-made, and they also stationed them on their borders.

M008_Franz+Joseph.jpg

Franz Joseph - "The Last Caesar"

Next, Sicily built new battleships. Sardinia and Genoa already had impressive navies, but they built more anyway to not be outdone. Austria only had a few miles of coastline. This, however, just made them even more determined to seize Venetian Dalmatia in the future. Due to Dalmatia and Ragusa, Italy was coming perilously close to involving Greece in its upcoming conflict. The opportunity for slaughter was massive. Adelphos Demetriou, Greece's dictator, saw that an alliance with the League of Italy to give his country the chance to absorb Ragusa was alluring. He set about enlarging the Greek army, "just in case."

Things got progressively worse in 1894. Stephen announced mandatory military training for all male citizens under 35. Imperial Bohemian factories churned out weapons and uniforms for the new Papal army. By now, the Italian Arms Race had practically made each state into a land of marshal law. Spies were a constant threat and conspiracies abounded. France sat nervously by, waiting for the first shot.

That first shot was fired on June 28th, 1895. Holy Roman Imperial archduke Franz Ferdinand was gunned down on the steps of a Vienna opera house. The Austrian police ran after and chased down the 38 year-old Venetian assassin Luigi Lombardi. They beat him into unconsciousness, dragged him to prison, and hanged him the next day.

Franz Joseph had had enough. The next day, June 30thm 1895, Austrian troops crossed the border and captured several Dalmatian towns. A Ragusan army numbering 8,000, which was a great amount for a country of only 40,500, then joined them in grabbing up southern Dalmatia. Declarations of war flew like bullets. Armies charged across borders in a mad scramble for territory and forts. After a month, the fighting had bogged down to a stalemate. Huge trench-lines were built on the wartime borders of Lucca, Austria, and the Papal States. For the first time, poison gas was used to blind and cut off air to other armies. Austria in particular employed this tactic. Venice valiantly held them off. In the Trent Offensive of '96 Venice took the fight to the Holy Alliance by capturing Bishopric of Trent. This infuriated Stephen and he also went on the offensive to capture the "City of Canals." The attack failed utterly. Fresh Venetian troops sent the Pontifical army packing, inflicting huge casualties. The beaten and bloodied Papal forces raced back across the border, leaving their siege artillery behind. They arrived just in time to participate in a Tuscan offensive against the Luccan Republic. Lucca was soon overrun. However, a month later, when a huge Genoese-Sardinian army took it back and then turned east and drove Holy Roman forces out of Lombardy. Accepting the loss of Lombardy, the Austrians tried to fortify Modena and Reggio. It continued to hold out against the Sardinian onslaught.

Finally, Austria made a huge mistake, or rather, some of their men made a huge mistake. An Austrian platoon heading to the front in Lombardy decided to stop in neutral Switzerland. After hard drinking in a bar, a fight broke out. The intoxicated Austrian soldiers then shot five Swiss policemen dead. The Swiss government was outraged. The Swiss army then demanded reparations. Austria payed them after protesting, claiming the soldiers acted on their own to illegally cross the border. This turned Switzerland against the Holy Alliance completely and they refused to have bank dealings with anyone in it. France agreed and started a trade embargo sold weapons to all who desired to rebel against Holy Alliance leaders. This violated the terms of the League of Monarchs, but France said they were in the right, since Austria violated the terms by letting soldiers cross into neutral Switzerland. Sardinia's trade with France boomed. Stephen and Franz Joseph worried about French intervention, which would likely mean defeat for the Holy Alliance.

Greece, during this time, was neutral. However, Ragusa's weak military was spread incredibly thin. On January 1st, 1897, Greece launched its military into Ragusa and rapidly brought the government down. After a mere three days of fighting, Ragusa surrendered. Austria did not want to fight Greece at all. After a slap on the wrist, they let Greece slide. The Pope also ignored it, though he suggested having an embargo against Demetriou's dictatorship. Nothing came of it and Demetriou would encourage other "prototype fascists" to see how much they could get by with.

Venice poured into Dalmatia to take back what they had lost. However, the public had turned against them. Rebelling, they set up the Republic of Dalmatia. Ragusa asked for the right to join and requested military assistance from Greece. Demetriou accepted and brought troops into Dalmatia. Now, Austria had a very real reason to support Greece. They gave weapons and supplies to the Dalmatians and urged them to go to war with the Venetians. Seeing that coming, Venice withdrew from Dalmatia with plans to reconquer it another day. A new republic had been born. And it's strings were pulled by a Greek prototype fascist.

Within four months, Austria's support of Dalmatian independence was coming back to bite it in the back. Romania, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Moldova, and Macedonia were up in arms demanding freedom from the Holy Roman Empire. They were brutally repressed, but that only intensified their demands. Austria knew what would happen if they obtained independence: fascism. This new form of government was most intolerable. There had never been anything like its radicalism since the French "Revolution." The French Revolution paled in comparison with Adelphos Demetriou's form of government. In fact, many started using the term "Demetriouism." "Fascism" came from an Sicilian democratic revolutionaries in the 1870's. Though the attempts for fascist or democratic-republican government in Sicily had been defeated, one group, the Fasci Siciliani, still was active and rumors circulated of backroom meetings with representatives of Demetriou. Greece was once again spreading their unique form of government westward, and Franz Joseph now wanted to crush it like a bug underneath his jackboot. However, the relic that was the Holy Roman Empire was teetering on a very hazardous precipice. The slightest breeze might send it tumbling.

During all this, Modena and Reggio, separated geographically from Austria, finally lost half its territory to the Parmesan army. Foreseeing the fall of the Imperial buffer state, Stephen rushed troops into eastern Modena. They held on, but just barely.

By 1899, the war was still dragging on. The situation in Austria had gotten completely out of hand as the Holy Roman Empire seemed to be collapsing. But all the countries were exhausting their manpower. Lucca had been completely devastated and shelled. Modena and Reggio was in such shambles they could not even jail murderers. Half of the mighty Genoese fleet had been destroyed in the sea war with Sicily, and Sicily hadn't gotten off easily either. Above all, no one but the Holy Roman Empire and Venice seemed to be worse off than anyone else. In fact, Greece, a country not even at war, seemed to have benefited the most. And now, word was spreading that French agents had been responsible for the 1889 deaths of Franz Joseph's only son Rudolf and Rudolf's mistress Maria Vetsera. Some demanded war with France. Franz Joseph realized that would be national suicide. He then sought an end for the war, fearing for his throne and life.

345px-Mayerling10.jpg

Crown Prince Rudolf before his apparent 1889 murder at the hands of French agents at Mayerling, Upper Austria

Finally came the Summer of '99. The devastated nations agreed to have a meeting in Amsterdam. A peace was soon arranged. Many commented on the high costs and low gains, if there were any gains at all. With the end of the Great Italian War, Austria and the rest of the world welcomed the 20th Century, praying it would be peaceful. Sometimes, however, prayers aren't always answered. Or, at least, Franz Joseph's weren't.

Last edited:
So did you just forget to leave out the part where all the Italian states unify, or what? :confused:

Um, they're not unifying yet. It's "New Rome" in that fascism is rising and the countries are much different, and some don't even exist anymore. I think I will add a part 1 to the beginning, though. ;) Unity for most of them will come in the next chapter.

Last edited:
a remark about Ceylon, you pod is before it became british, and considering what all was going on, it is very likely that Ceylon still is Dutch and never became british.

I also suspect that in the latter phase of the war the dutch very likely would have sided with the French, as they still had some scores to settle with the british. So i expect the border of south africa to move north a bit and a few pieces of brit real estate going dutch.

i am missing the guyana's did they get butterflied away?
in africa ghana was still a dutch colony at this time.
And how did borneo become spanish?, seems rather unlikely.

Maybe you can even even transfer some british colonies to the Irish to add insult to injury ;)