American King

Could you do a preliminary of this idea? I'd like to see how it looks.

I thought about it last night and this is what I came up with. Before the conflicts, regiments of the URSA could have used something similar to their counterparts here namely, a blue with the COA and a scroll with the unit's name and stars on each side (strictly for reasons of balance). (figure 1)

When the conflict erupted, the units that stayed loyal to Andrew would have added his badge (figure 2) to the COA on their colours and patched over the stars to deface it with their motto (figure 3). Obviously, this would have still resulted in the problem mentioned in a previous chapter about the 2 forces having difficulty telling one another apart. (although I would assume the drewsite might have tied a white ribbon to their arms or something to distinguish themselves from the xanderite).

To solve the problem while still showing their claim, the drewsite would have adopted a regimental colour with a white field (figure 4) which is about as contrasting as you can get. to avoid it being perceived at a distance for a flag of truce, a red/white border would have been added. This border is probably taken from the Royal Standard as even during his flight from the capital, Andrew's men managed to bring with them the national regalia. The use of the border is thus a sort of "up yours" to Alexander.

At sea, ships loyal to Andrew would have likewise needed to differientiate themselves adopting a white ensign with a red/white border and the lesser COA centered (figure 5). I thought instead of having red stars on white to contrast with the xanderite white on blue but from a distance, this arrangement might be mistaken for a costums ensign.

Lastly, Andrew's royal banner couldn't realy be a defaced pre-war banner (as this would imply a demotion in the URSA's system) so he would have adopted a temporary Royal War Banner been like his loyalists's naval ensign but replacing the lesser COA with his badge (figure 6)

questions ?

WAR-FLAGS.png

Oh, wow, those are great! I'm definitely going to use them and they fit quite well. Exceptional job, sir! :D

Last edited:
Did Rhode Island ever join the Union? Or is it still a republican holdout?

Good question! Yep, it's in the Union. I shall write more about it soon. The URAS wouldn't tolerate a Republican minicountry on its borders, and would've taken over, by politics. If they didn't they would've been invaded.

EDIT: Working on a world map right now.

Last edited:
Finished the world map. It has spoilers, though, so I'm not releasing it yet. ;)

CHAPTER XXI
The Kingdom Strikes Back

attachment.php

Following the debacle of Washington City, Meade led his troops south in retreat. On March 15th, a French supply wagon turned them back into a fighting force. Also, news had come of the adoption of a new Royalist flag - a bison on a white field with a red-and-white checked border. This new flag of defiance to the Northern rebels was flown eagerly, as were the new white regimental banners. Morale lifted, Meade's army awaited new orders.

Mansfield_Lovell.jpg

Royalist General Mansfield Lovell

On March 20th, those orders arrived. General Mansfield Lovell was about to make a thrust up the Mississippi, in an attempt to defeat Schicklgruber and take control over the river. Meade and his army boarded trains and rushed to join in the assault. On March 24th, they arrived. The first major offensive was near St. Louis, South Missouri. Royalist troops eager to avenge their defeats struck fiercely and savagely. After a landing point was secured, the main armies were brought in. Meade and Lovell then marched onward to St. Louis. It was after they saw the first road sign that they realized St. Louis had been renamed Louisborough to send a message to Catholics. Angrier than ever before, they practically sprinted the next 15 miles.

Upon hearing of the oncoming enemy offensive, Shicklgruber marched his army out of the city and went to meet the Royalists, hoping this would catch them off guard. Much to his angst, Meade's scouts, Jeb Stuart's dragoons, spotted him. Lovell's brand new artillery, straight from the New Orleans Foundry, set up in a small open patch, just off the side of the road. Schicklgruber's scouts, German lancers, the spotted the artillery and rushed back to alert him. Before long, both armies were dug in and entrenched. For three days, the two sides stared down their barrel sights at each other, only shooting in small little clusters and parties. Then, after receiving word Alexandrian reinforcements were coming in under Field Marshal Jefferson Davis, 2nd Baron Baton Rouge, a Protestant Southerner fighting to regain his barony. Davis was not extremely competent, and his army several times veered off from its destination because of lack of supplies and general poor planning. On March 24th, Lovell personally led 2,000 regulars over the trenches and straight at the center of Schicklgruber's line, after the Rebels had been softened up by an artillery salvo. After twenty minutes of brutal fighting, the attack was driven off. Lovell regrouped and consulted with Meade as to what should happen next. Meade ordered 2,500 infantry flanked by Jeb Stuart's cavalry to attack the left flank, through a densely wooded area.

Time was of the essence. Davis could arrive any time, and Schicklgruber had to be crushed by that point, or victory would almost surely be impossible. So, the thundering thousands advanced, light infantry firing 100 yards ahead to soften up the rebels. Finally, screaming bloody murder, the Royalists, mainly Akanseans, fell upon the enemy earthworks. Fierce resistance once again appeared ready to break the Southerners. But at last, the Bison flag was planted over the trench, and the Southern main army, which had been biting its nails waiting to see what would happen, cheered a cheer that shook the ground. The rebel left flank had been broken and its standards captured.

It must be understood, however, that this was by no means Schicklgruber's fault or a bad reflection upon his men. On the contrary, the remnants of one regiment, the 8th Wabash, which had sustained 70% casualties on the left flank and broke afterward, rushed to once again fight under "Fightin' Alois." Also on the contrary, all of this would have been prevented if Davis' forces had arrived on schedule.

After taking in the situation, Schicklgruber decided he would wheel his army around just far enough to fire on the Royalists who had destroyed his left flank. But when he did that, Meade launched a secret force of lancers at his now exposed right flank. This was actually what Schicklgruber wanted. Now, he brought up his long rifle-equipped Kaintuck volunteers to snipe the lancers enough to take the tip of the charge's spear. Soon, piles of horses and men dotted the ground up to the right flank, and the attack failed, leaving Meade and Lovell with only Stuart's cavalry, which was actually on the left flank, about to come under rebel fire. Seeing no choice, the entire Royalist army climbed over their static fortifications and charged Alois' army itself, firing muskets as it advanced. Once they had fired, they went with their bayonets. Now, with Meade and Lovell hammering his right flank and right center and Stuart on his left flank, Schicklgruber was in a tight spot. If he chose to retreat now or in a few minutes, he could likely hook up with the tardy Davis and defend Louisborough, much like Hancock had defended Washington City. If he chose to fight it out, he might prevail. Or he might lose the battle, his army, and his command. Thus, he decided to resist for ten minutes. If the rebels were not close to retreating by then in substantial numbers, he would retreat and leave a vanguard to harass and slow the Royalists.

worth.jpg

Royalist light infantry engage the 84th PA Zouaves in hand-to-hand combat

For ten minutes the fate of the battle and the capital of South Missouri hung in the balance. For ten minutes, the two groups of Americans killed each other in droves. The Mississippi turned red.

"Retreat!"

Who was it? Who had delivered the order? Southerner or Northerner? Had Davis arrived to stave off the Royalist horde? All this passed through the Alexandrian's heads in less than five seconds.

It was Schicklgruber. The Northern army was in retreat to Louisborough.

Davis was now within hearing distance of the battle. He had been only several minutes late. Sobbing over his failure, he fell into a state of deep self-hatred while joining Schicklgruber on the rout, saying "It is I! I am the reason for this loss!"

privat.jpg

Alexandrian forces seek cover in the outskirts of Louisborough during the rout

The Royalist army was right on the Northerners' heels. Hundreds on both sides were going down in the vanguard battles. At last, the Northerners arrived in Louisborough. The city was promptly surrounded, and a surrender demanded. Meade was determined not to repeat Washington City. He would win. It was a matter of honor. After taking assessments of the situation and after telegraphing Philadelphia, Schicklgruber received the order to surrender. With a grimace on his rotund, bearded face, eyes red from gunpowder, he presented the keys of the city to Meade under a flag of truce, and then was allowed to evacuate his forces. Louisborough had fallen to Andrew. South Missouri was for all essential reasons, a part of Andrew's realm now.

Last edited:
Wow, looks like Meade is starting to gain traction. Now, I have some requests to put in :p Maybe in the next few updates you could add in Nathan Bedford Forrest, Richard Taylor, James Longstreet, George Thomas, John Pope, Ambrose Burnside, and William Rosecrans :D Thanks for the great timeline!

New version (again, this will be for about 1830-40):

there is no reason realy why the states made out of former parts of british North America should fit prefectly with the borders of the provinces of canada OTL, especialy at the time when a lot of that land was pretty much empty. At best, the part that belonged to the Hudson bay company should be some sort of unincorporated territory, maybe divided into administrative districts:

HBC%20Districts.jpg

Ooh, I like that idea. I dislike using same old state/region shapes. Very good, it shouldn't be too hard to update. :)

@Rooster: Some of my heroes, especially Burnside and Longstreet. I was going to put them in anyway. :D

I think this looks pretty good. I went back and revised the story, but let me know if something doesn't jive:

jacksonia2.png

Last edited:
I feel bad for the school children who have to learn all those states and capitals ;)

:D Haha! Good line!

you made my beloved Minnesota into a part of Wisconsin? SHAME :D

I did indeed. Care for some cheese? :p

Hope to get the next chapters up tonight. I need a new charger for my recorder batteries, but I still hope to get the first episode of the documentary up Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. Cheers!

CHAPTER XXII
The War in the Caribbean
bengal-light-cavalry.jpg

The Royal Legion Cavalry charge in full splendor at Havana

In April, a large force of Alexandrians from Protestant Jamaica to take back Catholic Cuba. In weeks, there was bloody fighting all over the island. No where was safe, and the largely volunteer, untrained forces on both sides were causing a massive civilian death toll. At last, Alexander had enough and promoted George Andrew Custer to general. When Custer arrived, he expressed his intent to "crush every single darned one o' 'em Royalists." He was a man of his word. As the days after went by, the Royalists faced total annihilation.

Finally, the showdown came. On July 4th, 1869, Royalist Grand Marshal Sheridan arrived with members of the Royal Legion, Andrew's best troops. They gathered in Havana and built fortifications to resist Custer's oncoming forces. All the Catholic inhabitants of the town came to their aid, even the women, who picked up muskets and smashed out their windows, ready to fire.

Sometime near dusk of that Independence Day, Custer's forlorn hope unit launched their first attack, trying to feel out the defenses. Grinning slyly and in a self-satisfied manner, Custer thought it best to launch an attack to the north, and come around on the side road, instead of on the main path through the city gates. At 10:00, under the cover of darkness, 2,000 Alexandrian soldiers advanced. As daylight broke over the Cuban capital, they rose up, shouted various battle cries, and swarmed over the walls, massacring a militia regiment that was on guard.

sheridan_general.jpg

Grand Marshal Sheridan, commander of the Royal Legion in Cuba, in a Pre-War photo

Panicking, the men guarding the front gate rushed to meet the attack. Custer launched his dragoons, who opened the gates for the rest of the army. Feeling bewildered from his poor strategic thinking, Sheridan gathered his forces about him in the exact center of the city in a small barricade. There, thanks to the Royalists' mastery of the fire by rank drill, they slaughtered mounds of Alexandrians attempting to charge them. The Royal Legionnaires kept up the pounding until Custer decided to withdraw to rethink his strategy. Of course, his strategy was nothing more than go back, condense the ranks, and attack again. Custerian tactics were popular only with Custer. His men made another go at it, coming on faster than the first time. Right as Sheridan was about to surrender, a nasty surprise arrived: The Royal Legion Cavalry. The cavalry had been hiding outside the city and now charged full-on, sweeping away dozens of Custer's men. Furious, Custer rode out himself with his bodyguards. This, finally, turned the tide of the battle, and Sheridan surrendered. While it was a Northern tactical victory, it was also a Northern numerical loss, and forever placed General Custer in the list of bloody military leaders. Marshal Sheridan was allowed to leave with most of the few survivors, and, like Lee and Grant, it would not be the end of the Custer-Sheridan rivalry.

The massive violence that had occurred in Cuba left it desperate and destitute. Now, Custer had to worry about rampant militants roaming the jungles trying to break away from the URAS. He was proclaimed military governor of Cuba and was given a proclamation from Alexander that enabled him to hang and execute without trials. In a month, 600 accused militants were hanged or shot. Custer ruled Cuba with an iron fist.

479px-Custer9.jpg

General George Andrew Custer, Military Governor of Cuba

In the URAS, a military governor was practically an absolute monarch. He could do anything he pleased as long as it did not violate the king's law or commands. And, since Alexander was busy on the mainland, the king did not really give commands. Custer was left to himself to reign as sovereign under martial law, even after the crushing of most of the militants. He was determined to bring stability back.

The Alexandrian navy was more powerful than the Royalist navy. Thus, the Caribbean was quickly falling under Alexander's control. The French navy, not as dominant as it used to be and it had to largely stay in Europe due to its war with Britain. Thus, Alexander reigned basically ruled the waves, preventing any further "liberation" attempts in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
It is a little surprising though that he allowed Sheridan to leave.

Ah, but this is part of my plan: the wars are way more like the 1700's, and the commanders still believe in chivalry. It used to be very common in the 1700's to allow commanders to leave the field, just like how they considered it very cowardly to assassinate an enemy general.