American King

Added Prime Minister descriptions!

Love the descriptions; tough break for Van Buren though. But the description says that Henry Clay served two terms as Prime Minister, but under his name it says he served from 1824-1828.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you how much I LOVE that you're using historical figures! They make the timeline so much more interesting, its a shame other people don't use them as much :p

Love the descriptions; tough break for Van Buren though. But the description says that Henry Clay served two terms as Prime Minister, but under his name it says he served from 1824-1828.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you how much I LOVE that you're using historical figures! They make the timeline so much more interesting, its a shame other people don't use them as much :p

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. *fixes* I was basin Van Buren off the real Van Buren who was really narcissistic and "nobility-y."

I'm glad; I thought Harry Turtledove's United States of Atlantis book was good, but I hated how he used fictional people, so, I try to stick to real people.

EDIT: Map of the Civil War, otherwise known as the War for American Succession. (Yes, a deliberate reference to secession :p)

jacksoniancivilwar.png

Last edited:
CHAPTER XIX

Blood and Glory
1220772397_237maa1.jpg

Pennsylvania Infantry of the War for American Succession

When the Civil War, or the War for American Succession, began in earnest at the start of 1869, millions flocked to enlist. Eager for fame, fortune, honor, and ready to fight for country, denomination, and family.

The Northern, Alexandrian army swelled to immense size in weeks. The amount of Europeans that enlisted was astounding; 300,000 Germans enlisted for Alexander, claiming they were going "To Fight mit Schicklgruber."

Alois_Hitler.jpeg

General Alois Schicklgruber - The Union's greatest general during the war, only matched by the Duke of Arlington

Alois Schicklgruber, an illegitimate Austrian born in 1837 with the last name Schicklgruber, had come to America as a toddler with his mother and grandfather due to the terrible internal conflicts in German Europe. They had settled in the German district of New York City. At the age of 17, he enlisted in the Indian Wars and quickly rode up the ranks of the New York Army. While serving he was also converted to Lutheranism from Catholicism. He was a close friend of Andrew III when he was Grand Duke of New York, but they seemed to have had a falling out. 33 in 1869, he was one of the few that young to have reached the rank of general so young.

Schicklgruber was placed in charge of the Army of the Mississippi on January 7th, 1869 and was instructed to annihilate any attempt of Andrew's to come up the river. This did indeed occur when French steamships motored up the mighty waterway with thousands of troops. On January 18th, Schicklgruber led his men into battle near St. Louis, South Missouri. In the first major blood-letting of the war, over 5,000 Royalist troops died. Shicklgruber lost 1,000 of his Alexandrians. This great victory made Alois disregard orders to stay in near St. Louis, and he marched his men south. He met another, smaller army and routed it. By the end of the week, over 15,000 Royalists, Frenchmen, and Hispanics had been killed. Alois was a hero.

These early victories encouraged Alexander greatly. But with France and Austria sending in more troops to reinforce his older brother, he still was in a bad situation.

As of this point, Britain had only favored Alexander, and did not actually assist him. However, when it discovered a French fleet was about to invade New England. Acting at last, on February 15th, the British navy attacked the French in the Battle of the Mid-Atlantic. The French were utterly destroyed and the invasion was halted. Britain was at war.

Schicklgruber led his men back north when the resistance grew too thick, but the damage had been done, and the South had had its face dragged through the mud. As you can imagine, Andrew III was beyond furious. He ordered his top general, Louisiana's Pierre G. T. Beauregard to join up with Marquis François Achille Bazaine, commander of French forces in Virginia. The joint army marched into Prince William County, Virginia and joined up with Grand Marshal Hiram Ulysses Grant's Army of Northern Virginia. The 80,000 strong army marched into occupied Catholic-leaning Maryland and met an army of 40,000 Alexandrians, under the command of General Robert Edward Lee, Duke of Arlington. At eight in the morning on March 5th, Lee waved his plumed bicorne on a small hill, signaling the artillery to open fire. So the Battle of Antietam Creek began with a massive Union artillery barrage of canister shot. As the Southern forces waded across the creek, they were mowed down. The barrage was brutal and wiped out the entire first two ranks of men. As the Southerners pulled back to regroup, they switched to shells, which hit them over the long distance. Eight minutes latter, hurling curses in various languages and pointing their bayonets forward, they attempted another crossing. The bodies became so numerous that they formed a human bridge. Trying to navigate through the carnage, the Southerners were starting falter again. They retreated a second time.

images

P. G. T. Beauregard in Royalist Gray

The third time, the French cavalry led the attack. Despite losses, they made it across and forced the Northern infantry to engage. Blue met green, gray, and white in a horrific bloodbath. Only a few stray buildings interrupted the clockwork lines of troops, who duked it out for around a half hour. A half hour of standing upright and being mowed down. The casualties were massive. Dozens of jackbooted Southern troops tramped back through the mud, bodies, and craters, deserting. An entire group of 200 Irishmen was wiped off the face of the earth. After several more minutes, the Northerners suddenly threw themselves to the ground. It had been a trap. The canisters opened up at close range, scything down the Royalist forces. The Marquis withdrew from the battle at this point, and Grant soon followed. Beauregard and his men, mainly grenadiers at this point, stood alone to cover the retreat. They failed.

77.jpg

Royalist and French troops are slaughtered in a cluster of buildings next to Antietam Creek; the snow and cold also affected their ability to maneuver correctly

Battaglia_di_Novara.jpg

A Mexican Royalist Regiment regroups and prepares for anther assault after the second charge over Antietam Creek - The Mexicans' uniforms were rare for the era, being black, which led to the general nickname "Blackcoats" in the future for Hispanic troops in American service, even when they did not wear black coats

Over the course of the day, General Karl Weber, a Bavarian immigrant, had been leading his German cavalry to Antietam. Now, singing the new "I Goes to Fight Mit Schicklgruber" tune, they were heard over the hills in the distance. Minutes later, blowing bugles, swords gleaming in the sun, they crashed into Beauregard's men and slaughtered them. Lee rode out with his cavalry and hit Grant from behind. The rout was unstoppable, and corpses were strewn everywhere. Finally, at 9:00 that night, it was over. Suffering over 20,000 casualties, the Royalists retreated, leaving Maryland under occupation by Alexander.

( "I Goes to Fight Mit Schicklgruber XD )

Last edited:
General Alois Schicklgruber

Hitler's Dad?:mad: You have got to be Kidding me.:mad: Now i think i can see where this is going....:rolleyes::cool::eek:

This was is without a doubt the strangest war. I really do not know which side to pick, or who i think should win.It's obviously a world war one variant, so is there going to be any commentary on the European theater?

Also, It seems Lee beat Grant. :D:D:DGood for Lee.

During the first engagements, much confusion abounded as to who was the enemy. Both sides wore blue and both carried the Royal Standard into battle. After several friendly fire incidents, Andrew adopted the Bison Flag and required his troops to dye their uniforms gray or green. White was also accepted, and white coats were common supplies from France.​

I think that even defaced, there would still be confusion from a distance between the 2 sides which is was happened *here* between the US and CS first pattern forcing the later to change the national flag twice.

Maybe just a blue field with the defacements you had instead ? or the State flag with a grey field and red stars ?

Please make Lee a god in this timeline, as is his right place :D Thanks. And as for Hitler's dad, well....we'll see where this goes :rolleyes:

And I partly love this war because there is no evil side. You could be pro-Andrew, or pro-Alexander, it doesn't matter :D Personally I'm leading towards Alexander....

Tsao

Banned
And I partly love this war because there is no evil side. You could be pro-Andrew, or pro-Alexander, it doesn't matter :D Personally I'm leading towards Alexander....

They may not be the 'good guys' but I am always inclined to support the north in any Civil War scenario.

Hah. Hitler's daddy :eek: Crazy. Keep up the excellent work, love the details and characters. Nice pictures and Maps as well, too many TL's without that visual element and it breaks up the text a little as well. Bravo! :cool:

Hitler's Dad?:mad: You have got to be Kidding me.:mad: Now i think i can see where this is going....:rolleyes::cool::eek:

This was is without a doubt the strangest war. I really do not know which side to pick, or who i think should win.It's obviously a world war one variant, so is there going to be any commentary on the European theater?

Also, It seems Lee beat Grant. :D:D:DGood for Lee.

Aye, that's what I'm aiming for; almost total neutrality, which lends credence to the idea of it being a civil war - families are divided over it.

There will be commentary on Europe, along with maps. :D

Another Lee-lover? *salutes* It won't be the end of Lee vs. Grant, though.

I think that even defaced, there would still be confusion from a distance between the 2 sides which is was happened *here* between the US and CS first pattern forcing the later to change the national flag twice.

Maybe just a blue field with the defacements you had instead ? or the State flag with a grey field and red stars ?

Could you do a preliminary of this idea? I'd like to see how it looks.

Please make Lee a god in this timeline, as is his right place :D Thanks. And as for Hitler's dad, well....we'll see where this goes :rolleyes:

*Salutes fellow Lee fan* ;)

Once again, I love neutral wars in history. Like, say, it's pretty hard to pick a bad guy in the War for Austrian Succession, WWI, or the Seven Years War. Makes it more interesting, IMO, than, say WWII or the Cold War.

They may not be the 'good guys' but I am always inclined to support the north in any Civil War scenario.

Alexander promised prime minister elections, so he does have that going for him.

Hah. Hitler's daddy :eek: Crazy. Keep up the excellent work, love the details and characters. Nice pictures and Maps as well, too many TL's without that visual element and it breaks up the text a little as well. Bravo! :cool:

I figured people would like Schicklgruber winding up in this. :) Danke, I, too, like lots of visual elements when I read.

And for everyone's information: Even when I get up to the modern era in this, I'm gonna go back and write novels set in this universe, kind of like Damsels and Dirgibles, or something. I'm only 16, so I have a lot of spare time. :D

CHAPTER XX
The Beginning of the War in the West

pic.gif

Royalist Artillery exchange fire with the Alexandrian defenders of Washington City, the capital of Washington - the brutality used by both sides led to the state being nicknamed "Bleeding Washington"

Eight days after Antietam, a Royalist army, mainly Texans and Mexicans, made a march to the border between Alexandrian Washington and Royalist Knox. Making a forced march through cold, heat, and night, the Royalists arrived in Marlborough, 10 miles south of Washington City. After commandeering supplies, the next morning they drew within two miles of the capital. The Royalists, under the command of Irish Catholic George G. Meade, brought up their cannons and began barraging the outskirts of the city. 12 civilians were injured.

After a cease fire order was given, a Royalist dragoon rode to the city capitol under a flag of truce. A request of surrender was delivered. The Alexandrians, under General Anthony Wayne Hancock, refused. Hancock vowed to destroy the Royalist besiegers.

This was a major flaw in Meade's plan. His spies had not collected enough information and had reported the city to have a small garrison. Instead, Alexandrian cannons returned fire. Before long, both sides' cannons were out of commission and a terrible fire had spread through the city. With no other choice, the Royalist army advanced. The massive waves of gray coated soldiers, mostly Irish immigrants fighting under Texas's banner, marched in rigid lines to meet the oncoming Northerners. In a style reminiscent of the time of Frederick the Great, they pounded each other into piles of lifeless meat, but in a "most orderly, proper, and gentlemanly fashion," as Meade put it. At 7:00, dusk, the fighting had not let up. The brutality grew even more when they met in hand-to-hand combat on the Royalist left flank. The Alexandrians were forced to draw back, but that part of Meade's army was hamstrung. Knowing the Northerners would try to exploit this, the Irishman brought up his dragoon battalion under Jeb Stuart to revitalize the left flank.

During all this, Meade had had a regiment of Mexican line infantry march to a farmhouse on the outskirts of the city, in an attempt to set up a field hospital. A local militia, however, had occupied the surrounding area and rose up from their ambush positions when the Mexicans were within range. The Mexicans returned fire. Before anyone knew it, another field of battle had opened up. Shouting and hurraying, two more Royalist regiments advanced upon the farmhouse and backed up the Mexicans. It was now extremely dark. The two armies fired at the flashing muskets of the opposing side. More than once, friendly fire occurred, even killing fifty Texans at 11:00. At last, at midnight, it appeared the fighting had stopped. At 12:45, the shooting came back. In one of the most unusual battles of the war, Stuart's dragoons charged the Northern center with all they had. The terror of fighting cavalry in total darkness resulted in the center crumbling. Cursing and screaming, even striking men with his riding crop, Hancock ordered the men to get back into line. Some followed orders and others fled. Panicking, Hancock forced his own cavalry, cuirassiers, into the gap. The cuirassiers, under George Andrew Custer, were heavy cavalry wearing torso armor thick enough to stop musket balls. Their sheer presence lifted moral and they hammered the unarmored dragoons. The hellish cavalry battle lasted only two minutes. The dragoons were sent packing, mostly horseless at this point, and they scrambled back to their own lines.

At 2:00, an assault by the 5th Mexican Volunteers successfully captured the farmhouse. The assault made them famous as the "The Charge of the Chihuahuan Brigade."

At 2:15, the fighting lulled, but did not stop. Custer launched an attack upon the farmhouse. They suffered heavy casualties and withdrew. The Chihuahuans held their own.

At 4:00, dawn was approaching. Northerner Prussian light infantry moved back up to the front of the army after brief breakfasts. They once again started sniping officers and non-coms.

At 5:00, the sun had risen, and the two armies could finally see the destruction for themselves. Though the city's fire had been put out, three-quarters of Washington City had been destroyed. 30,000 casualties lay scattered all over the outskirts of the city, riderless horses roamed the shell-pocked battlefield, and the commanding generals were horrified. Hancock was determined to finish the job. He regrouped his forces and ordered them to charge head-on. Screaming "God Save Alexander!" they attacked. The sheer spectacle of the advance made Meade consider retreat. He also regrouped his forces and prepared them to resist the tidal wave of bluecoats. After ten minutes, the Royalist force was in full retreat and the Alexandrians in full advance. They struck up "MacPherson's Lament" and cheered as they mopped up the last straggling besiegers. Meade had lost all his cannons, 25 of them. The great Battle of Washington City was over, at the cost of 30,200 lives. Hancock became a national hero, like Schiklgruber and Lee.

Last edited:
I've gone through the thread, and I will agree.

this is quite interesting, although it seems..maybe a little too coincidental in terms of Certain Figures showing up.

I've been catching up on this brilliant timeline for about a week now. Considering my personal fascination with Andrew Jackson, you had me hooked at the title. Hail to the King! (With the significant qualifier of Jackson's treatment of Indians both TTL and OTL. He may have been a magnificent bastard but that still makes him a bastard.)
You are doing a fine job Napoleon, keep it up.

As for the Civil War. I am impressed it is striking the tone of dissonance that makes for great alt-hist. Given my general pro-Catholic religious orientation, I'm leaning towards the cause of Andrew III. Anyway, I do appreciate the rampant use of historical figures on both sides. Any chance we will see a Duke Sherman anytime soon? I how no doubts you've got something planned but consider this. General Sherman's mother was Catholic, Mrs. Sherman was Catholic. . .and apparently in OTL General Sherman quit attending Mass once the Civil War broke out. Where do you think his loyalties will lie? Cheers.

Hancock vs Meade.

That's another winning combinations of awesomeness.

:D

I've gone through the thread, and I will agree.

this is quite interesting, although it seems..maybe a little too coincidental in terms of Certain Figures showing up.

You mean Schicklgruber? *ominous laughter* Who knows? Maybe his son Andrew Hitler/Schicklgruber will end up being the founder of a popular southern-style chicken restaurant in the 40's. "11 secret herbs and spices, mein herr, and dey ist der family secret!" XD

Huh. I never thought i would be rooting for the south in the civil war.

Aye, Andrew and Alexander's sister was murdered by royalists, but that doesn't mean Andrew was behind it or even had knowledge.

Last edited:
You mean Schicklgruber? *ominous laughter* Who knows? Maybe his son Andrew Hitler will end up being the founder of a popular southern-style chicken restaurant in the 40's. "11 secret herbs and spices, mein herr, and dey ist der family secret!" XD

Been Done.

although It was Himmler, in that case.

Been Done.

although It was Himmler, in that case.

Wow, man, people have thought of everything. :p

I've been catching up on this brilliant timeline for about a week now. Considering my personal fascination with Andrew Jackson, you had me hooked at the title. Hail to the King! (With the significant qualifier of Jackson's treatment of Indians both TTL and OTL. He may have been a magnificent bastard but that still makes him a bastard.)
You are doing a fine job Napoleon, keep it up.

As for the Civil War. I am impressed it is striking the tone of dissonance that makes for great alt-hist. Given my general pro-Catholic religious orientation, I'm leaning towards the cause of Andrew III. Anyway, I do appreciate the rampant use of historical figures on both sides. Any chance we will see a Duke Sherman anytime soon? I how no doubts you've got something planned but consider this. General Sherman's mother was Catholic, Mrs. Sherman was Catholic. . .and apparently in OTL General Sherman quit attending Mass once the Civil War broke out. Where do you think his loyalties will lie? Cheers.

Thank you for your very kind words.

You have given me a great idea! Perhaps a "Benedict Arnold" Sherman? That could be really interesting. Or, he could be more like Robert E. Lee in our history, not sure which side to go with and has to really mull it over.

Me neither. Just because someone is Catholic does not mean they are not Legitimate.

Aye. Technically, Alexander is a rebel, thus reversing the roles of the real Civil War. Royalists and Rebels, you could say; that has a ring to it.

EDIT: Oh, and could someone tell me what threads at the top of the page in bold mean? Oh, and I'll likely have the first bit of the documentary done by Tuesday, if all goes well.

Last edited: