Amendment to change US Presidency to one 6 year term adopted

Apparently a 6-year, one term presidency with no re-election possible was nearly ratified in 1913. It was blocked by Woodrow Wilson, however.

"At the time, Congress was considering an amendment to change the Presidency to one six year term, no reelection. Wilson opposed it and convinced a committee chair to block it. Clark favors it, so it passes and is ratified. After 1928, election years will be 1934, 1940, 1946 ..."

What would have happened had this amendment been ratified, either due Wilson supporting it or Wilson not being elected? Note that I don't know whether you could serve two non-consecutive terms like Grover Cleveland.

Last edited:
Let’s say the easiest POD is Wilson being persuaded not to block it, everything else goes as OTL. You have Hoover elected in 1928 and presiding over a Depression that goes longer. FDR is elected in a landslide in 1934 with commanding Democratic majorities from three straight elections considering how despised Hoover is at this point and maybe has wiggle room to pursue an even more aggressive New Deal.

1940 gets interesting. If we assume the GOP is still pretty unpopular, but with WW2 looming over the election, it could go a few different ways. A GOPer reconciled to the New Deal but firmly isolationist could have an advantage, otherwise youd probably see a Southern Democrat sympathetic to FDR’s legacy take the nom (probably James Byrnes or a Hugo Black who was not appointed to SCOTUS. Garner is probably too conservative and the South would likely demand a bite at the Apple after two straight New York Governors)

After that, the potential WW2 butterflies make it hard to extrapolate

Let’s say the easiest POD is Wilson being persuaded not to block it, everything else goes as OTL.

See my post at https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-one-6-year-term-in-1913.316901/#post-9200047 where I reproduce President-Elect Wilson's letter to Mitchell Palmer opposing the amendment.

As I note there, "When the amendment was sent to the House (which had been controlled by the Democrats since the 1910 election), "it was quietly pigeonholed in the Judiciary Committee when Wilson's views were learned [Palmer had shown the letter to Judiciary Committee Chairman Henry Clayton and to other Democratic party leaders; Republicans were not let in on the secret]. At the time the Senate passed the resolution the House was overwhelmingly in favor of limiting the presidential term. Many of the House Democrats, unaware of Wilson's letter to Palmer, were puzzled at the failure of Congress to act on the resolution..." Charles W. Stein, *The Third Term Tradition,* p. 229. The existence of the letter became known (beyond the circle of House Democratic insiders) in 1914, but only in January 1916 was the letter published in full with Wilson's permission. On that occasion *The Nation* remarked that the letter showed that from the first Wilson had "treated the [1912 national Democratic platform] one-term plank as a bit of Bryanesque buncombe." (Stein, p. 233)"

IMO it is implausible to imagine Wilson doing anything else, given his beliefs about the presidency. The most plausible POD to get the amendment enacted IMO is to have Champ Clark nominated and elected in 1912 instead of Wilson. But of course a Clark presidency would have so many other effects (especially vis-a-vis the War) that it becomes very hard to predict the future presidents under the Amendment.

marathag

Banned
Would have been a boon for Tricky Dick, with no re-election, no re-election shenanigans needed with the Plumbers

Assuming no other changes: then one of the three classes of Senate seat will always be elected in Presidential years, and the other two classes will always be elected in "mid-term" elections. (Excluding special elections to fill vacancies.) One third of the states will have only mid-term Senate elections.

Could this have effects on the pattern of Senate elections?

I can't find the text of the proposed amendment. One would think it exempted the incumbent from the prohibition on re-election (as the 22nd Amendment did later), and would not extend the current term.. So would Wilson be eligible for the first six-year term in 1916?

I can't find the text of the proposed amendment. One would think it exempted the incumbent from the prohibition on re-election (as the 22nd Amendment did later), and would not extend the current term.. So would Wilson be eligible for the first six-year term in 1916?

Proposals to that effect were defeated in the Senate. As passed there it would have extended Wilson's term till 1919.

There was se support I the House for delaying the change to 1920, particularly by Speaker Champ Clark, who seems to have still harboured hopes of the 1916 nomination, and (being born in 1850) perhapes felt that a term from 1919-1925 would be too late for him. Had he himself been POTUS-elect in 1913, presumably he would not have objected.

See https://www.newspapers.com/image/82690757/?terms=six%2Byear%2Bterm%2Bclark

From the Commercial and Financial Chronicle: https://books.google.com/books?pg=PA395&lpg=PA395&id=HwU8AQAAMAAJ#v=onepage&q&f=false

~The resolution which amends the Federal Constitution so as to limit the tenure of office of the President of the United States to one term of six years was passed by the United States Senate on the 1st inst. by a vote of 47 to 23, being one vote more than the necessary two-thirds. The resolution was introduced in both branches of Congress at the last session. Senator Works was its sponsor in the Senate, and it was favorably reported to the Senate by the Judiciary Committee on May 20; in the House it was offered by Representative Clayton, and the House Judiciary Committee ordered it favorably reported on June 4. No further action on it has yet been taken by the House. Following its passage there and its approval by the President, the resolution will have to be ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the States before it can become operative. The resolution proposes to insert in the Constitution, in place of Section 1 of Article II., the following;

[graphic]

The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. The term of the office of President shall be six years; and no person who has held the office by election, or discharged its powers or duties or acted as President- under the Constitution and laws made in pursuance thereof shall be eligible to again hold the office by election.
The President. together with a Vice-President chosen for the same term, shall be elected as follows:...

___
Twenty-eight Democrats and nineteen Republicans voted in favor of the resolution as follows:
Democrats—Ashurst. Bankhead. Bryan, Chamberlain, Chilton, Clarke, of Arkans-w; Fletdiu', Gardner. Hitchcock. Johnson of Maine; Johnston of Alabama; Knvnnnugh. Kern. Newlands. Overman. Owens. Paynter, Percy, Perky, Pomerene, Simmons, Smith of Arizona, Smith of Georgia; Smith of Maryland; Swanson. Thomas. Thornton and Wilinms.
Republicans—Brandegeo, Brown. Burnham, Burton, Catron. Clark of Wyoming; Cummins. Dilhnghm. Du Pont. Gamble. Guggenheim, McCnmbu, Nelson, Penrose, Perkins, Smoot, Sutherland. Wetmore and Works.
Only one Democrat, Senator Shively, voted against the resolution. while three of the twenty-two Republican votes votes recorded in opposition to it were cast by the so-ealled "Progressives”fiSenators Clapp, Dixon and Poindexter. The other Republicans voting in the negative were:
Republicans—Boron. Bourne, Bradley. Bristow. Curtis, Gallingor, Jackson. Jones. Kenyon, La Follcttc. Lippltt. Lodge, McLean, Oliver, Page, Richardson. Sanders. Stephenson and Townsend.
A number of amendments to the resolution offered during the debate on the some in the Senate were defeated. One of these was proposed by Senator Hitchcock and would have exempted Presidents Roosevelt, Taft and Wilson from the operation of the Amendment by providing that “the term of office of President after March 3 1917 shall be six years, and no person elected for six years after the adoption of this Amendment shall be eligible again to hold the office by election.
There appears to be a diversity of opinion as to whether under the resolution as it now stands the six-year term would apply to President~elect Wilson in the event that it should be ratified before the close of his term, and it is expected that it will be changed in the House so as to make its meaning more explicit. There are many who think that action on the Amendment by the House is unlikely in view of the large amount of other legislative work that remains to be done by the 4th of March, when the life of the present Congress expires.

[As I said, my understanding is that the proposed House version, never voted on because of Wilson's letter, would not have taken effect until 1920.--DT]

Last edited:
A single term of six years, that’s going to affect how presidential power is viewed. My gut feeling is that the trend will gradually move away from a strong executive with power gradually being accrued elsewhere.

Because what we’ve got in society, from one perspective, is just a collection of, “some things that must be done.” We Americans, today, feel it is natural for the executive to do those things, because the system we’ve built and the expectations we’ve developed over the decades has led us to feel that way. But hobbling the executive like this doesn’t remove the necessity of doing the things...somebody still has to do them! So who’s next on the list to reform the government and it’s systems and get those things done, if not the executive?

Legislature seems plausible; perhaps the bureaucracy itself. States seem less likely, as the federal relationship has always tended to ratchet towards centralization, and this wouldn’t seem to affect that. Perhaps one could argue the ratchet process is slowed, but that’s only one possibility.

Plausibly, the Congress, the bureaucracy, the states, maybe even the military might all grow more powerful relative to the president. But the ultimate battle is tilted to Congress. Expect the reforms of future generations to codify strong congressional control over policy and implementation.

So what is left to the president? More management, less direct say. Perhaps eventually ombudsman functions. Obviously ceremonial functions and a head-ofstate package of privileges. Maybe a reputation develops as a “first among equals” when it comes to advising congress on action; a dam-breaker when compromise is needed; a facilitator and implementor of agreed-upon policies.

I’m imagining a president with no mechanism to be judged and come back again is going to want to standardize some things that are more arbitrary right now. No Supreme Court appointees in term 1? Well, we’ll see what the people say and maybe we’ll get a chance in term 2. Not anymore.

So perhaps standard appointment of justices happens, with the cap on justices removed. The court gets bigger, but probably not that much bigger if we’re talking a new justice every three years, say. And early on I’m imagining some “gentleman’s agreement” forms where justices just decide to step down if the bench approaches a certain number, or if the new appointment results in an even number. This will morph into a common law practice that will probably be abused at some point, requiring the government to codify court term limits.

At this point in history, a running fight between the legislature and bureaucracy for power seems reasonable. The legislature has better levers, and thus the upper hand. Something like a parliamentary democracy could emerge: the Congress, scrappy and responsive; the president a grey eminence, keeping the peace and adjudicating.

It feels like the issue of the senate is also likely to come up. One lucky/benighted class will forever be the “presidential class,” fated to be elected in the presidential year. If presidential power fadesrapidly, this might not be all that notable. But something tells me that process will take at least a couple decades, if not occur over the course of a century.

So senate reform seems like the next item on the list. You’ve taken away the point of a six-year senate term (outlasting one presidential term). So what are the most likely alternatives? An eight-year term or a four-year term. Given that the same group of people would be working on the OTL 17th Amendment as would be forwarding the presidential 6-year term amendment, it’s likely this gets resolved right from the start.Since the impulse with the 17th was for more responsiveness, four-year term would seem more likely to be included.

Eventually we get something a bit more European in appearance, with a president still stronger than most European presidents and a Congress weaker than most European parliaments and still hobbled by the additional weight of federalism. But in terms of function- political power in the legislature, a strong, managed bureaucracy, a “break glass in case of emergency” kinda president- similar to Europe.

Last edited:

Deleted member 94680

@David T why was Wilson opposed to it? Was he worried about Confederate analogies owing to the CSA constitution having a single six-year term? Or was it the increased likelihood of alternating Republican and Democrat presidents due to the two party system?

@David T why was Wilson opposed to it? Was he worried about Confederate analogies owing to the CSA constitution having a single six-year term? Or was it the increased likelihood of alternating Republican and Democrat presidents due to the two party system?

State of New Jersey
Executive Department
Feb. 13, 1913

MY DEAR PALMER:

Thank you warmly for your letter of Feb. 3. It was characteristically
considerate of you to ask my views with regard to the joint resolution
which has just come over from the House with regard to the Presidential
term.

I have not hitherto said anything about this question, because I had not
observed that the public was very much interested in it. I must have been
mistaken in this, else the Senate would hardly have acted so promptly upon it.

It is a matter which concerns the character and conduct of the great
office upon the duties of which I am about to enter. I feel, therefore,
that in the present circumstances, I should not be acting consistently
with my ideals with regard to the rule of entire frankness and plain
speaking that ought to exist between public servants and the public whom
they serve, if I did not speak out about it without reserve, and without
thought of the personal embarrassment.

The question is simply this: Shall our Presidents be free, so far as the
law is concerned, to seek a second term of four years, or shall they be
limited by constitutional amendment to a single term of four years, or to
a single term extended to six years?

I can approach the question from a perfectly impersonal point of view,
because I shall most cheerfully abide by the judgment of my party and the
public as to whether I shall be a candidate for the Presidency again in
1916. I absolutely pledge myself to resort to nothing but public opinion
to decide that question.

The President ought to be absolutely deprived of every other means of
deciding it. He can be. I shall use to the utmost every proper influence
within my reach to see that he is, before the term to which I have been
elected is out. That side of the matter need disturb no one.

And yet, if he is deprived of every other means of deciding the question,
what becomes of the argument for a constitutional limitation to a single
term? The argument is not that it is clearly known now just how long each
President should remain in office. Four years is too long a term for a
President who is not the true spokesman of the people, who is imposed upon
and does not lead. It is too short a term for a President who is doing or
attempting a great work of reform, and who has not had time to finish it.
To change the term to six years would be to increase the likelihood of its
being too long, without any assurance that it would, in happy cases, be
long enough. A fixed constitutional limitation to a single term of office
is highly arbitrary and unsatisfactory from every point-of-view.

The argument for it rests upon temporary conditions which can easily be
removed by law. Presidents, it is said, are effective for one-half of
their term only because they devote their attention during the last two
years of the term to building up the influences, and above all the
organization, by which they hope and purpose to secure a second nomination
and election.

It is their illicit power, not their legitimate influence with the
country, that the advocates of a constitutional change profess to be
afraid of, and I heartily sympathize with them. It is intolerable that
any President should be permitted to determine who should succeed him--
himself or another--by patronage or coercion, or by any sort of control of
the machinery by which delegates to the nominating convention are chosen.

There ought never to be another presidential nominating convention; and
there need never be another. Several of the states have successfully
solved that difficulty with regard to the choice of their Governors, and
Federal law can solve it in the same way with regard to the choice of
Presidents. The nominations should be made directly by the people at the
polls.

Conventions should determine nothing but party platforms, and should be
made up of the men who would be expected, if elected, to carry those
platforms into effect. It is not necessary to attend to the people's
business by constitutional amendment if you will only actually put the
business into the people's own hands.

I think it may safely be assumed that that will be done within the next
four years, for it can be done by statute; it need not wait for
constitutional change. That being done, the question of the Presidential
term can be considered on its merits.

It must be clear to everybody who has studied our political development at
all that the character of the Presidency is passing through a transitional
stage. We know what the office is now and what use must be made of it;
but we do not know what it is going to work out into; and until we do
know, we shall not know what constitutional change, if any is needed, it
would be best to make.

I must speak with absolute freedom and candor in this matter, or not speak
at all; and it seems to me that the present position of the Presidency in
our actual system, as we use it, is quite abnormal and must lead
eventually to something very different.

He is expected by the nation to be the leader of his party as well as the
chief executive officer of the Government, and the country will take no
excuses from him. He must play the part and play it successfully, or lose
the country's confidence. He must be Prime Minister, as much concerned
with the guidance of legislation as with the just and orderly execution of
law; and he is the spokesman of the nation in everything, even the most
momentous and most delicate dealings of the Government with foreign
nations.

Why in such circumstances should he be responsible to no one for four long
years? All the people's legislative spokesmen in the House of
Representatives and one-third of their representatives in the Senate are
brought to book every two years; why not the President, if he is to be the
leader of the party and the spokesman of policy?

Sooner or later, it would seem, he must be made answerable to opinion in a
somewhat more informal and intimate fashion--answerable, it may be, to the
Houses whom he seeks to lead, either personally or through a Cabinet, as
well as to the people for whom they speak. But that is a matter to be
worked out--as it inevitably will be--in some natural American way which
we cannot yet even predict.

The present fact is that the President is held responsible for what
happens in Washington in every large matter, and so long as he is
commanded to lead he is surely entitled to a certain amount of power--all
the power he can get from the support and convictions and opinions of his
fellow countrymen; and he ought to be suffered to use that power against
his opponents until his work is done. It will be very difficult for him
to abuse it. He holds it upon sufferance, at the pleasure of public
opinion. Everyone else, his opponents included, has access to opinion, as
he has. He must keep the confidence of the country by earning it, for he
can keep it no other way.

Put the present customary limitation of two terms into the Constitution,
if you do not trust the people to take care of themselves, but make it two
terms (not one, because four years is often too long) and give the
President the chance to win the full service by proving himself fit for
it.

If you wish to learn the results of constitutional ineligibility to
reelection, ask any former Governor of New Jersey, for example, of what
the effect is in actual experience. He will tell you how cynically and
with what complacence the politicians banded against him waited for the
inevitable end of his term to take their chances with his successor.

Constitutions place and can place no limitations upon their power. They
may control what Governors they can as long as they please, as long as
they can keep their outside power and influence together. They smile at
the coming and going of Governors as some men in Washington have smiled at
the coming and going of Presidents, as upon things ephemeral, which passed
and were soon enough got rid of if you but sat tight and waited.

As things stand now the people might more likely be cheated than served by
further limitations of the President's eligibility. His fighting power in
their behalf would be immensely weakened. No one will fear a President
except those whom he can make fear the elections.

We singularly belie our own principles by seeking to determine by fixed
constitutional provision what the people shall determine for themselves
and are perfectly competent to determine for themselves. We cast a doubt
upon the whole theory of popular government.

I believe that we should fatally embarrass ourselves if we made the
constitutional change proposed; if we want our Presidents to fight our
battles for us, we should give them the means, the legitimate means, the
means their opponents will always have. Strip them of everything else but
the right to appeal to the people, but leave them that; suffer them to be
leaders; absolutely prevent them from being bosses.

We would otherwise appear to be going in two opposite directions. We are
seeking in every way to extend the power of the people, but in the matter
of the Presidency we fear and distrust the people and seek to bind them
hand and foot by rigid constitutional provision. My own mind is not agile
enough to go both ways.

I am very well aware that my position on this question will be
misconstrued, but that is a matter of perfect indifference to me. The
truth is much more important than my reputation for modesty and lack of
personal ambition. My reputation will take care of itself, but
constitutional questions and questions of policy will not take care of
themselves without frank and fearless discussion.

I am not speaking for my own reelection; I am speaking to redeem my
promise that I would say what I really think on every public question and
take my chances in the court of public opinion.

WOODROW WILSON

I would take him at this word--he believed in a president responsible to the people.

Deleted member 94680

State of New Jersey
Executive Department
Feb. 13, 1913

MY DEAR PALMER:

Thank you ...snip...

I would take him at this word--he believed in a president responsible to the people.
Fair enough. I can see that argument’s logic. I would note the single six-year term would remove the “second half of a four year term is wasted gaining influence and support for re-election” argument though.

Presuming such an amendment had passed Congress in, say, 1913: how long might it take until 3/4 of the states ratify it? I suspect 1920 would not be enough time and it would not be able to go into effect until 1924 or 1928.

Presuming such an amendment had passed Congress in, say, 1913: how long might it take until 3/4 of the states ratify it? I suspect 1920 would not be enough time and it would not be able to go into effect until 1924 or 1928.

Good point. Would it get enough states, and if so by when?

Several other Amendments flowed quickly in the course of the 1910s:

The Sixteenth Amendment (Income Tax) passed Congress in July 1909 and was ratified by the states by February 1913.
The Seventeenth Amendment (Popular Election of Senators) passed Congress in May 1912 and was ratified by the states by April 1913.
The Eighteenth Amendment (Prohibition of Alcohol) passed Congress in December 1917 and was ratified by January 1920.
The Nineteenth Amendment (Women's Suffrage) passed Congress in June 1919 and was ratified by August 1920.

If passed in 1913, it seems likely to be in effect in time for the 1920 election at the latest.

Could be interesting if it's passed in 1920 as we'll have a 1938 election. Suddenly a president elected during peace will have WWII on his plate soon after entering office. Would FDR have been elected in 1932?

A single term of six years, that’s going to affect how presidential power is viewed. My gut feeling is that the trend will gradually move away from a strong executive with power gradually being accrued elsewhere.
Well, we have a hard upper limit on how long an individual can hold the office now, with eternal disqualification for reelection after any interval of others holding the office too; it is 8 years instead of 6. But the expectation, borne out more often than not, is that once a candidate wins the office newly, they very likely will gain their second and last term four years hence, so in effect we have a single 8 year term with a public option to terminate it after 4. So any argument that the Executive will be in any way less a magnet of supreme political ambition for individual politicians is dependent on either arguing a huge difference between a "mere" 6 years and 8, or, that the 4 year reelection cycle strengthens the tendency to trust concentrated power in the Executive. The former is just haggling over magnitudes; the weight has to rest on the latter--on the idea that knowing a President, once elected, will hold power for a whole six years (barring death, impeachment, removal for disability or resignation, none of which except the first were taken to be very high probability in the early 20th century) fear that power getting too far out of touch with the public interest and will, and therefore favor trusting it to officials elected more frequently. Again this is an argument based on magnitudes--are 6 years really a much longer time politically than 4?

I think that monkeying around with the exact term length and being more or less stringent about reelection eligibility will have only a weak influence on the general dynamic of power shifting toward the executive we observe (that Wilson takes particular note of in his letter quoted downthread too, so it was a topic on many minds at the time). The shift has to do with the nature of the powers involved, not these details of electoral mechanics.

The sum of political ambition being truncated to 6 rather than 8 years will be no deterrent to speak of. If anything, a Presidential candidate can reason that being untouchable (barring really egregious political shifts that could enable the rising opposition to impeach them) for 6 years, three House of Representative cycles rather than two, gives them better odds of their agenda being pushed through by the end of it--because now, a term that could be terminated after just 4 years by the obstructionism of a hostile "mid-term" Congress (which is deemed politically normal, natural and nigh inevitable--a popular President and party might suffer merely erosion of a Congressional majority instead of a switch in party dominance, but some deterioration of the President's standing in Congress is expected) putting their administration in a bad light can be ridden out; a President guaranteed 2 more untouchable years can credibly blame any shortcomings on this obstructionist opposition bloc and hope to rally a comeback in Congressional support to enable their last 2 years to be effective. Of course it could go the other way, with a public with buyer's remorse having to sullenly sit out an extra 2 years of unwanted leadership, and the obstructionist counterfaction being further strengthened in the second midterm election--call them "tridterms" maybe? This might raise the probability of impeachment, but then again there are countervailing factors unchanged--the opposition hardly wants to legitimize impeachment as a normal part of the political cycle after all, it is supposed to be a last resort nuclear option. Meanwhile the inherent power of the Executive involves considerable leverage on public opinion, via patronage and the "bully pulpit."

By track record we can assume that Presidential candidates are focused on themselves, their own legacy, first of all, but ambition on behalf of their party is a strong second. Your arguments seem to lean on just the first consideration, and on the idea that trimming two years off the maximum makes it far less attractive. (In addition to all our experience with Presidents elected since 1952 with the hard 2 term limit, we know that prior to FDR no President ever did manage more than being elected twice--but many managed that, with but one exception, contiguously. It is reasonable to figure most politicians with Presidential ambitions were thinking in terms of 8 years). If 6 is the best they can do--I don't think that will deter anyone, and if anything will increase the pool of persons hoping for a serious shot at the office, and that gives them all a vested interest in the office being strong--which might of course be offset by principled qualms--shortening the maximum does nothing to make those qualms relatively stronger, rather the opposite; I expect only a weak influence on them either way.

Looking then to ambition on behalf of their party, which they hope as individuals to reshape in closer line with their own notions of right and wrong, having won office for themselves, each President under a 6 and done rule might well focus better on their legacy on their own behalf with less concern for short term reverses in the next Congressional election cycle, but must still remain engaged in the politics of paving the way for another term for their party--the stronger the President is during their single term, the better they can anticipate shaping both party priorities and the selection of the party's successor candidate. If we have say Franklin Roosevelt limited to less than half the years he won for himself on paper (3/8) and even less than half the time he actually served OTL, knowing this up front, Roosevelt, elected in say 1934, knows that by 1940 he had better have the Democratic party in closer line with his own notions of how it should be (believing of course that his being right about things, the party will therefore do well at all levels) and by early that year (just five years and change hence from assuming office, in those days in March) know who he can more or less trust to see his legacy through between taking office in early 1941 and leaving it in early 1947. He might or might not anticipate living to see the end of his successor's term, but planning and hoping more than a decade out is certainly going to bias himself, as the new President in 1935, toward strengthening rather than weakening his office. The long single term, coupled with the high hope he can make sure another Democrat in his own mold follows him for a total 12 years and counting, is hardly an end in itself then and "apres moi, le Deluge!"

So, bearing in mind that Presidential candidates have party as well as personal ambitions, I don't think the postponement of electoral accountability another 2 years, and the total irrelevance of that next election to this candidate personally (unless they lose of course) severs the office from political accountability, nor deprives it of any glamor. As de facto party chief (barring extraordinary intra-party conflict probably reflecting a very volatile public in general) the President remains keenly interested in their standing with public opinion. A total sociopath might not give a damn but even they might want to take some thought for their prospects after leaving office. And they'd have to fool a lot of people on their way up the ladder. Impeachment remains a perfectly legal way to remove a President who alienates too many publics too.

Now let's look at it from opposition point of view. Their candidate for President failed to win--now they are stuck with the one they opposed for six instead of four years. Does this influence the public to support Congress in a stronger vigilance against excessive Executive power over the longer run (in the short run, a majority or anyway plurality of the public is quite pleased of course)? Well, of course the opposition generally tends to be critical of a President of the wrong party, and we frequently do hear rhetoric about excess Executive power and the implication is the opposition will do something about it, if only the public will give them a clean sweep of Executive and Congressional power to bypass those rotten Other Guys who deplorably misunderstand or cynically destroy the sacred checks and balances. But we don't see much follow-through! It has often happened since the 1910s that one party or the other enjoys a trifecta of power in both Houses of Congress and the Presidency, and yet we don't see many initiatives to seriously trim back executive power nor do such initiatives, when they happen at all beyond mere opposition rhetoric, go very far, and often get reversed. Watergate was a major crisis of plain executive overreach--except in the eyes of Nixon's supporters of course who much deplored the virtual impeachment not just of Nixon but the principle of the strong President, and when Reagan took office in 1981, much of what effective new checks on Presidential power the Democrats (with, at the time, some Republican support) had placed on the office were either rescinded outright or de facto neutered by fast and loose reinterpretation, with the explicit ambition of restoring strong executive power. Republicans opposing Democratic Presidents are shrill and relentless in their objections to executive overreach, and increasingly opposed to the idea a Democratic President is legitimate at all--but when they gain the office back, they do nothing to tie their own partisan President's hands and instead cite the Democratic overreach as solid precedent for far more sweeping powers for their own--we can look at Bill Clinton being succeeded by G W Bush for plenty examples a comfortable remove from "current politics" for instance.

A six year one and done Presidential term would do nothing to change this pattern of loud and shrill rhetoric about executive overreach followed by further expansions of it when it is the former opposition's turn to enjoy this power. If anyone thinks it would, by all means elaborate on how! It seems at first glance to shove the opposition's opportunity to settle the score by putting in their own President back two years, but another way of looking at it is that accelerates the cycle if we grant that an incumbent President eligible for one reelection is likely to be in a position to win that reelection. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Let's take inventory since 1912--looking at terms each was elected for in their own right and counting VP successors under their appointing predecessor since elections are what matters here

Wilson 2
Harding/Coolidge 1
Coolidge 1
Hoover 1
FDR/Truman-4
Truman 1
Eisenhower 2
Kennedy/Johnson 1
Johnson 1
Nixon/Ford 2
Carter 1
Reagan 2
GHW Bush 1
Clinton 2
GW Bush 2
Obama 2

In those terms, we have 16 elected in their own right, of whom one won 4 times, 8 won twice, and eight won once. Thus the average term, won at the polls, amounts to more than 6 years actually. If we restart this clock with a 6 year one and done rule, but (as basic fairness would demand) leave Wilson a clean slate to win or lose in 1916 not counting his first term against him--I would guess roughly, assuming general world and domestic issues evolve as OTL as they likely would:

1916 Wilson/VP (due to Wilson's OTL deteriorating health)
1922 Coolidge
1928 Hoover
1934 FDR
1940 --tossup, but a D quite likely--say Wallace vs Dewey, I'm betting on Wallace despite his liabilities in the South (he'd have to mollify and reassure them).
1946--tossup
1952--Eisenhower even if Dewey wins in '40 and some other Republican in '46
1958--Whichever party had fewer terms in the 18 years after 1940. Let's assume it went Wallace-Truman or some other D-Eisenhower, then we are looking at Nixon; otherwise if was Dewey--Some other D--Iike, JFK.
1964--some Democrat, a fairly liberal one, call it LBJ
1970--some Republican--Nixon if he didn't win in '58, someone else fairly hawkish, probably too early for Reagan
1976--tossup if the Republican was not Nixon, some Democrat quite likely an outsider like Carter if Nixon won in 1970, since Nixon is liable to a massive meltdown of some kind
1982--a Democrat,of the "moderate/conservative" appearance such as Carter or some other Southerner if not Carter in '76; Reagan if Carter before
1988--GHW Bush or some other compromise Republican--much of the "Reagan revolution" if no Reagan in '82 happens under the Democratic alternative--either a moderate or extremist Republican will lose support for the party by the mid-90s fast.
1994--Clinton
2000-GW Bush
2006-Obama, Hillary Clinton or some other D
2012--I lean D successor to above, probably the other one, but that's like 55/45 percent, Romney type Republican otherwise
2018--I refuse to predict on grounds of too close to "current politics."

In party terms then, we have OTL starting in 1916 and ending in 2012 for 96 years and 24 elections. we have an even split of wins by both parties; with my impressionist reckoning of 17 6 year single term elections (one taking us out of the 96 year frame), I figure at least 6 Republicans and 6 Democrats pretty sure to win, leaving 5 conditional tossups. Working through those assuming Republicans win when there is a choice, the tossups go R--biasing toward D wins first, I think they can get only 4 of those, leaving the R's one. So we have a likely range of between 6-11 Republicans and thus 6-11 Democrats. I think, given events and thus general Zeitgeist coming out in the wash to be pretty parallel to OTL, slightly better odds for the Republicans--so any assumption that Republicans are more serious about the abstract principle of Congressional and state power checking Executive is offset by their greater than OTL, though only slightly, tendency to enjoy actual executive power.

To make hard choices in my tossups according to how I honestly think the dice will most likely roll, given prior decisions and OTL parallel Zeitgeist--using blue for D and red for R despite knowing this convention is fairly recent, simplifying to a likely candidate name ignoring VP

1916 Wilson
1922 Coolidge
1928 Hoover

1934 FDR
1940 Wallace

1946 Dewey
1952 Eisenhower

1958 JFK
1964 LBJ

1970 Nixon
1976 Carter
1982 Reagan
1988 GHW Bush

1994 Bill Clinton
2000 GW Bush
2006 Hillary Clinton
2012 Obama

So, that leans more D than I would have surmised actually--but similar to 52 of 100 years from 1916 to 2016 for Democratic Presidents OTL. And I think following Hillary Clinton with Obama is fairly problematic, mainly possible because the Republicans would have little to offer in 2012.

If someone more sympathetic to the R's than me can better visualize the 2012 challenger, I'd readily concede the likelihood that election goes to that Republican almost by default (never mind that OTL in popular vote terms, Obama has been the winningest Democrat since LBJ in '64--running against it being the Republican "turn" which is why I figure Bill Clinton's preferred successor would be doomed in 2000 too, they would have to be quite uninspirational not to win after a Hillary Clinton term--I just think they'd be that dead in the water in 2012 based on OTL! If some R wins in 2012 then it is the Democrats' race to lose in 2018).

Whereas given my exact lineup we can be sure some R wins in 2018 but a lot less sure about who that might be or how radical versus moderate they might be--I think it would surely be a weird election at least as weird as 2016 was, maybe even weirder--and the D's would be at a disadvantage generally, but less so the more a radical left wing has emerged, and totally pasted if no one to speak of steps out of the moderate box.

I'm actually pretty amazed how how well OTL major contenders for the power would be pretty near to the right place at the right time on this schedule--of course it helps to remember that two 6 year terms equals three 4 year ones so every other ATL election aligns with an OTL one after all.

I think this reinforces the point; when push comes to shove, the power of the Presidency is too attractive for anyone to be deterred from seeking it by a single 6 year term limit nor is there any reason either major party would try very effectively to reverse or even check the drift of power to that branch. My judgement as to who wins which years' elections might be all wet and mixed up, but I think the general pattern of alternation of power pretty well evening it out betweent the parties giving both a stake in concentrating executive power never mind the rhetorical ideology, will hold under any plausible attempt to game it out, barring possible revolutionary crises, which I think are possible but unlikely.