Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driftless

Donor
^^^ Thinking on your end-loader bucket, I'd be surprised if some police force SWAT team hasn't developed a bullet-resistant bucket cover for a fire truck boom bucket. Not strictly an AFV, but sorta-kinda

Replace boom with Naval Rifle
An anime way
Ah, the HWR-00-MK II "Monster" from Macross, propably one of my all time favourite Mecha designs! Armament is pretty heavy with 4 x 40 cm cannons and 2 x 3 "barreled" missile launchers, but the thing is increadibly unwieldy (a massive disadvantage in the universe of Macross where the main combat units are "variable fighters" and increadibly maneuverable) and it also carries a pretty pitifull amunition loadout.

Garrison

Donor
^^^ Thinking on your end-loader bucket, I'd be surprised if some police force SWAT team hasn't developed a bullet-resistant bucket cover for a fire truck boom bucket. Not strictly an AFV, but sorta-kinda
I'm sure I saw something like that in the SWAT TV show.

I figured that this was at least semi-improvised.

And is fairly slow, clumsy, and vulnerable
Though it only has to be 'good enough' to be useful. Spanish civil war onwards has shown that improvised AFVs can be useful in some conditions.
Edit. Also bulldozer + armour is perilously close to a Bob Semple tank!

Last edited:
Found yet another variant of the Sherman, this time courtesy of /r/warthunder, and this is one of the more alien ones. Check out this picture:

bl5SWkh.jpg

What we've got there is a basic M4A2 sherman with the welded hull and the additional side plates to protect the ammo racks, but if you look closely at the front of the turret and where the 75 should be, you'll notice that there's something....small in its place. This tank was apparently sent to the region as part of convoy security efforts and ended up in the hands of the People's Liberation Army after the war ended, and then ended up fighting in the continuation of the Chinese Civil War. But somewhere along the lines, the gun it had must've been damaged or worn out with a lack of spare parts to replace it, because what it has is not a 75mm...

ODgookx.jpg

....but a 37mm cannon from the IJA's own Ha-Go tanks. I'm pretty sure that everyone in here would probably find that a curious choice of replacement, but all the same, this Sherman's 37mm would still pack more of a bang than a rifle, and it could probably carry a lot of ammunition. We don't really know what became of this one, but considering the photo, there's the serious chance that it saw real combat, though whatever came of it afterwards remains a mystery. Whatever happened to it, there's one thing we can say for sure: this makes another fine addition to the collection of strange Shermans :p

Here is a Caterpillar 277c Tractor:
View attachment 733693
What if:
- We give it armor plating.
- Take off the plow/dozer in the front.
- Give each arm a M61 Vulcan (or missile/rocket launchers of choice).
- Put smoke grenade launchers on top of the cab along with a remote control machine gun.

We now have a small urban combat vehicle that can fit in tight spaces (7 feet tall, 7 feet wide, 10 feet long) and has arms that can aim straight upwards (and can take out enemy positions in skyscrapers).

Armor plating means that the suspension becomes overloaded, and engine underpowered
Putting guns directly on arms mean that its very reliant on treads to aim - so fine aiming becomes difficult

Not to mention all that ammunition stowage for the hungry Vulcans and RWS!

Police M113's

Th
This has been a long time coming having promised @Lord Wyclif to draw up his initial design concept a few weeks back. I have never tried a fully Sci-Fi vehicle before and, as you can imagine, much/most has had to be free drawn - very time consuming! As with all things Sci-Fi, a certain degree of 'handwavium' is required to accept the pretext that such vehicles can exist in the first place. My answer to, 'How does it hover?' is, 'Very well thank you!' Secondly, why does it have 2 enormous (130mm) fixed guns - because Lord Wyclif asked for them!

So, accepting the scenario... The New Commonwealth Defence Systems (NCDS) M-25 Wolverine is a low-altitude, combat support vehicle - think a cross between an A-10, an attack helicopter and a tank. A turret for the main guns is superfluous as the entire vehicle can easily turn to engage targets - much like it's historical A-10 ancestor. In much the same way as aircrew are multitaskers, the crew of the Wolverine would be better thought of as pilot and weapon systems operator - a couple of dismounts can also be carried if required for local defence when on the ground. The multi-function twin-barrelled 20mm turret can fire a selection of AP, proximity fused fragmentation and fleshettes. The vertical launch silos in the rear of the main body fire a selection of AT and AA missiles and a number of sensor drones. The Wolverine is designed to be as passive as possible and thus does not carry any active sensors attached to the vehicle. Sensor data is provided by the battlefield Link 30 data system with situational information passed down from either an area control vehicle, satellite or any of the unit's/vehicle’s sensor drones. Fire control and much of the vehicle‘s operation is provided by an Achilles AI control system. Armoured protection is a combination of advanced Bristol Ceramic over an E glass construct.

View attachment 733514
The future is NOW :cool::cool:
Nice work @Claymore

Status
Not open for further replies.